Start by marking “Oorlog en vrede” as Want to Read:
Oorlog en vrede

Read Book* *Different edition

Oorlog en vrede

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  239,821 ratings  ·  10,045 reviews
Lev Nikolajevitsj Tolstoj (1828–1910) schreef Oorlog en vrede (Vojna i mir) tussen 1864 en 1869. Het verhaal begint in de regeringsperiode van tsaar Aleksander I, die in 1805 steuntroepen levert aan de Oostenrijkse keizer voor zijn oorlogen tegen Napoleon. Dan volgt de Franse inval in Rusland op 12 juni 1811, de bloedige Slag bij Borodino, Napoleons inname van Moskou, en t ...more
Hardcover, Verzamelde Werken #3, #4, 1608 pages
Published 2006 by G.A. van Oorschot (first published 1867)

To ask other readers questions about Oorlog en vrede, please sign up.
Roshan Marlon Richard Pevear Larissa Volokhonsky ( Translation Date-2007) (Vintage Classics)
Anthony Briggs ( Translation Date-2005) (Penguin Classics)
Rosemary…more
Richard Pevear Larissa Volokhonsky ( Translation Date-2007) (Vintage Classics)
Anthony Briggs ( Translation Date-2005) (Penguin Classics)
Rosemary Edmonds (Translation Date-1957)
Aylmer and Louise Maude (Translation Date-1922)
Constance Garnett (Translation Date-1904)

These are the common translations you can find. I have tried chapter comparisons and actually read the book, and found Anthony Briggs one is the excellent version when it comes to the beauty of the language. Penguin used Rosemary Edmonds translation for almost 50 years and switched to Anthony Briggs one. P&L one is alright, but I felt its kind of flat, but sentence flow is good. Aylmer and Louise one is easy to read. Constance Garnett and Aylmer Louise translations are in public domain now. Garnett one is very readable but has some minimal errors here and there.

People often talk about faithfulness to the original Russian. But if a sentence is capable of reproducing 100% of the original meaning, that's what matters. When Tolstoy was trying to make a joke, translation should give us an appropriate joke.

So if I rate these translations, number one for me is Anthony Briggs one. Second Aylmer and Louise Maude, third Richard Pevear Larissa Volokhonsky. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Benjamin Grant
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  239,821 ratings  ·  10,045 reviews

Jessica
So, I know you've all been on edge these past two months, and since I should be studying for the social work licensing exam tonight, it seems like the perfect time to put an end to your suspense.

After all my agonizing and the thoughtful suggestions below about whether I should mutilate my gorgeous hardcover Pevear and Volokhonsky translation in the interest of less hazardous subway toting.... Readers, I carried him. All 1272 pages. Every day, across five boroughs and three states, for nearly two
Whitaker
When I was growing up, the conventional wisdom was that War and Peace was the sine qua non of difficult books: the scope, the length, OMG the length! Conquering this Everest was The Test of whether you were a Man/Reader.

I have now read it. Thump chest and make Tarzan yell.

Actually, you know chump, big deal. The mountain really wasn't so large after all.

There are love affairs, there is a war, peace eventually returns to the Shire Russia. Sorry, got confused there for a minute with Lord of the
Dolors
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone, anytime, NOW.
Recommended to Dolors by: My guilty conscience
Before I turned the last page of this massive volume, which had been neglected in my bookshelves for more than six years, War and Peace was a pending task in my mental reading universe knowing it to be one of the greatest Russian or maybe simply one of the greatest novels of all times.
Well, in fact, it was something else.
I have a selective memory, I don’t know whether it comes as a blessing or as a curse, that enables me to remember the most insignificant details like for instance, where and wh
Matt
Aug 22, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The type of person who cares whether a person has read <i>War and Peace</i>
Shelves: classic-novels
Whatever else I am, I am the type of person who reads classic novels out of a sense of obligation. Also, I must admit, out of a sense of vanity. My ego, after all, is as fragile as a goldfish and requires the constant attention of a newborn baby. Every once in awhile, it needs a little boost, and the intellectual challenge of Dostoevsky or Dickens can really work wonders.

Now, I’ve been told that forcing myself to read books I don’t necessarily like is a fruitless waste of time (and that the rev
Michael
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that can be life-changing. I read this as a teenager and I remember exactly where I was (sitting on my bed, in my grandmother's house, in southern Germany) when I finished it. I must have spent an hour just staring out the window, in awe of the lives I'd just led, the experiences I'd just had.

****

I'm now re-reading this, enjoying it immensely and no doubt appreciating it much more than I did the first time. Tolstoy has the most amazing ability to make us feel, when he
Emily May

So... I did it. I finally convinced myself to read War and Peace, partly because it's just something everyone wants to say they've done, and partly because one always needs a good excuse to procrastinate during the exam period when I should have been studying. And, you know what, I really enjoyed most of it. The novel is far less taxing than I imagined, I don't know if that's because the English translation goes easy on us non-Russians or because Tolstoy wrote it in a quite light-hearted fashion
Joey Woolfardis
Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

I read this in tandem with the spectacular BBC adaptation and I will say now that my enjoyment of this piece of literature has been heavily influenced by that wonderful piece of televisual art. It just has. It's the same story, just told a different way. I will refrain from telling you to get over it.

Now, the book. It was written well, very well, in terms of all the stuff that should be done well: pu
Matthew
Holy cow! I am done! Not sure what to say . . . I feel like I should write a 1000 page review, but I will keep it short.

I finished the book while a passenger in a mini-van stuck in horrible Atlanta traffic.

The book was not quite as readable as some other BIG books I have read, but still pretty good. What amazed me is how few specific events occurred during the 1000+ pages - Tolstoy was just really detailed in describing the events. Only a few times, though, did I feel like it was too much.

This
Jason Koivu
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, classics

Love

That was the one thing I thought was missing from Leo Tolstoy's title, War and Peace. I was wrong. Love is in the title, you just have to look for it.

Certainly there is love in peace. It is the time of children, serenity, growth. The mother peacefully raising her children. The farmer lovingly tending his fields. The elderly passing their final days in comfort surrounded by family.

But there is love in war as well. The love for one's country. Such is a person's violent attachment to their mo
Joshua Treviño
Feb 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is difficult, in reviewing classics, to say things about them that have not been said before. It is especially difficult when those classics are part of the literary canon; and even more difficult when those classics are not mere novels, but purposeful epics. It is in this light that reviewing Leo Tolstoy’s War and Peace is a challenge. The massive book — ranging from 900 to 1,500 pages, depending upon the edition — is a cornerstone of anyone’s list of all-time great literature. Strangely, fe ...more
Kelly
I tried for five months to write something more polished, less rambling. This is all I've got:

"While he is alive, the morning is still fresh and dewy, the vampires sleep. But if the sun sets, if father Tolstoy dies and the last genius leaves - what then?"
-Alexander Blok, as Tolstoy lay dying at Astapovo

"[War and Peace] is positively what might be called a Russian Illiad. Embracing the whole epoch, it is the grandiose literary event, showcasing the gallery of great men painted by a lively brush o
Supreeth
It's been three months since I read War and Peace. The after effect of this book is more like chewing the cud once you're done with the whole quote-unquote reading experience. I've thought about this book a lot, I've been thinking about this a lot and I'll probably keep this relevant in upcoming days, but I don't think I'll never gain enough intellect to seriously write anything about this. My first read of war and peace(assuming I'd read it again) was mainly about the existential crisis of Andr ...more
Lyn
Jul 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One commentator of War and Peace wryly remarked,” war and peace … that about covers everything.”

That is as succinct a book report as can be given to a work of this magnitude. This novel does contain just about everything; war and peace, battles, hospitals, military strategy, love and romance, marriage, estrangement and divorce, death, birth, families, relationships, friends, enemies, hatred, jealousy, fear, gambling, dueling, hunting, dances, music, religion and politics, mysticism, philosophy,
Cait Poytress
I am no longer afraid of the big ass Russian novel.* Who knew it would be so readable? The most difficult thing about it was keeping all of the characters straight, but even that was only in the beginning. By the end of the book, the characters were so fully drawn that I couldn't believe that I'd once had to rely on a cheat sheet remember who they were or what relation they had to one another.

I'm kind of peeved that I can't give this book 5 stars**. Overall, I thought it was fantastic. I even li
Lizzy
Just finished my second reading of War and Peace. Couldn't have loved it better. Maturity and knowledge of the times certainly helped my enjoyment. It didn't feel as long as it actually is. I loved all Tolstoy's meticulously created characters.

I hope to write more soon.

Not to be missed!

_____
I read Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace a long, long time ago. However, I still remember how I enjoyed this epic, even if I might have been too young and lacked the knowledge about Russian history that would have
Manuel Antão
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2000
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Anti-literary-flab: "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy

I was standing at an airport lounge as a teenager many years ago, and suddenly realised I had no books to read for my family holiday. I was a SF geek at the time (still am, but I’m reading other stuff now), but had read everything that W.H. Smiths airport bookshelf could show me. In desperation and dread I turned to the classics... I'd read Frankenstein and other English literary classi
Violet wells
I always believed War and Peace was one of my three favourite novels. Now, after reading it a second time, I wouldn't include it in my favourite 30. Without question, to my mind, Anna Karenina is the better novel.

On the positive side, it's astonishing how well Tolstoy knows all his characters and how vibrantly he brings them alive on the page. There's so much of life in this book. It's a marvel how brilliantly he dramatizes many of life's key emotions. The first four hundred or so pages are a j
Gabrielle
500th review!!!

The "Abridged Classics for Lazy People" comic summarizes "War & Peace" as follows: "Everyone is sad. It snows." Hmmm. Accurate, but I have a bit more to say about it than they do. This book has left me full of thoughts and words the way few books have done before.

Though to be fair, how exactly is one supposed to review this? This book might be titled “War & Peace”, but it’s also about the human experience as a whole: the high, the lows, the beauties, the agonies and prett
Ted
That 5 star rating stares down at me. Does it need to be justified? Probably not … but anyway

In my seventieth year, I have finally for the first time read this novel, a book that I bought over half a century ago, proudly displayed on one book shelf after another as the years rolled by. Will I ever open it again? I surely hope so. It seems to me at this moment that I could turn the book over, open the front cover and begin reading again.

No matter what prism one looks at W&P through - sublime
Steve
Jul 30, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As masterworks go this one checks
All the boxes a lit prof expects.
But a colt seeking brio
Might've wished author Leo
Had condensed one called
War, Peace, and Sex.

I once submitted a limerick to Poetry Magazine, and got a letter back saying I'm Bard for Life (only they used what must have been an Old English spelling: "barred").

All kidding aside, I really did read this back in my student days. I may have skimmed 100 pages of battle scenes, but felt at the time at least, that I could count it as done
Cindy
A Review in Three Parts:

I. The Analytical Analysis

II. The Review

Here's the thing that surprised me the most about War & Peace: it's extremely readable. It's not filled with difficult or outdated language. (At least in the P&V translation.) It doesn't have long, hard to parse sentences. The action and dialogue is fairly straight-forward. The characters become easy to follow. If you are freaked out by War & Peace because you think it's hard, it's not. Although you will have to powe
Renato Magalhães Rocha
You mustn’t let Tolstoy’s classic’s reputation and length intimidate you in the least! Contrary to popular belief, it is not a hard read and you'll be surprised to see that it is quite a page turner. And here’s a tip: having some knowledge about the Napoleonic wars and the French invasion in Russia is all it takes for the war scenes to come alive and not seem like such a drag.

This is a book that deserves to be read and you’ll be glad once you conclude this enterprise - not because you're at the
Nilesh Kashyap
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nilesh by: William Somerset Maugham
Not a review, and whatever is this, is incomplete due to my inability to express myself.
In childhood’s pride I said to Thee:
‘O Thou, who mad’st me of Thy breath,
Speak, Master, and reveal to me
Thine inmost laws of life and death.

‘Give me to drink each joy and pain
Which Thine eternal hand can mete,
For my insatiate soul would drain
Earth’s utmost bitter, utmost sweet.

‘Spare me no bliss, no pang of strife,
Withhold no gift or grief I crave,
The intricate lore of love and life
And mystic kn
Jan-Maat
An oak tree that I passed on the way into a town reminded me of the scene in War and Peace in which Andrei Volkonsky passes an oak in late spring and sees himself as that tree - its branches bare even while other trees already are showing bright green leaves. He feels, after his experiences in the novel up to that point, old before his time and looking forward only towards the grave(view spoiler)(v ...more
Apatt
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
War and bloody Peace eh? Started June 12, 2013, finished August 26, 2013! How am I supposed to review this?! I will apply my usual rambling slapdash technique I think.

War and Peace looks like a formidable challenge for the average reader, in term of length and legendary status, this is not "just another book" you can just read and forget. Personally, I read fiction mainly for entertainment purposes ( the best past time I know), some books I read purely out of curiosity, some books like Moby Dick
Dem
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tolstroy's epic masterpiece intertwines the lives of private and public individuals during the time of the Napoleonic wars and the French Invasion of Russia.

I had always wanted to read this epic Novel by Tolstroy's but was completely put off by the sheer size of the book at 1350 pages. I am not a lover of books over 500 pages and this was certainly going to be a challenge for me.

I have planned a trip to Russia this year and this was the encouragement I needed to finally pick up this novel, also
Jo (A follower of wizards)
Well, I've done it! I can finally say that I've conquered this somewhat complex beast, that is, War and Peace. I've had it on my to-read list for around ten years, and now, I too, can finally be at peace. The novel isn't as readable as I expected, especially when one compares it to other large novels, like Les Miserables, but, it was less taxing on the brain than I had imagined. It might have something to do with the English translation that I have.

This is my second Tolstoy novel, the first bei
Simona Bartolotta
"She kept thinking that no one could understand all that she understood and all there was in her."

Approximately from the start of book three (middle of the whole War and Peace) onwards, the focus massively shifts to military strategy and the specifics of the Napoleonic campaign, and those parts were really difficult to get through. I missed the main characters and wasn't interested. But the first half is inexpressibly beautiful.

*To my Italian friends: io ho acquistato anni fa l'edizione della BU
Hadrian
It's Tolstoy. What else can be said?

A few years later, I've found his epilogue to be more painful and didactic, but the characters to be even stronger. Tolstoy has a gift for little descriptive comments which add so much to his portrayal. I remember the doctor carrying a cigar so it doesn't stain his bloodied fingers, or the German doctor trying to remember all of the gourmet foods he eats. (To say nothing of Pierre!)
Gautam
I was sitting in my upstairs room with the Paperback on my lap. I could not believe that all the tumultuous, heart-rending, and unforgettable events I encountered were finally behind me, though safely residing in my memory lane. I closed my eyes and sat pensively without actually thinking anything. A soothing feeling of tranquility gradually possessed me I am calm like a placid sea.

Suddenly I heard a bizarre sound: it was like a hoof sound, something galloping in my yard; A horse? .I didn’t op
Catching up on Cl...: 4~War & Peace: Vol 2, Books 4 & 5: Spoilers 31 158 Sep 07, 2019 07:17PM
War and Peace - best translation 105 10770 Aug 31, 2019 05:28PM
Great American Re...: * June/July/Aug 2019 - WAR AND PEACE by Leo Tolstoy 42 28 Aug 29, 2019 03:09PM
Favorite Moment in War and Peace 53 497 Jul 27, 2019 07:05PM

• The Handmaid's Tale
  • The First Circle
  • Le Morte D'Arthur - Volume I
  • Demons
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Gift
  • Oblomov
  • Estado y revolución
  • The Enchanted Wanderer: Selected Tales
Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy (Russian: Лев Николаевич Толстой; commonly Leo Tolstoy in Anglophone countries) was a Russian writer who primarily wrote novels and short stories. Later in life, he also wrote plays and essays. His two most famous works, the novels War and Peace and Anna Karenina, are acknowledged as two of the greatest novels of all time and a pinnacle of realist fiction. Many consider To ...more
“We can know only that we know nothing. And that is the highest degree of human wisdom.” 2783 likes
“Nothing is so necessary for a young man as the company of intelligent women.” 1770 likes