Start by marking “That Which Divides (Star Trek: The Original Series)” as Want to Read:
That Which Divides (Star Trek: The Original Series)

That Which Divides (Star Trek: The Original Series)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  211 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Located in an area of non-aligned space near Federation and Romulan territory, the Kondaii system is home to a unique stellar phenomenon: a spatial rift that opens every three years in proximity to the system’s sole inhabited planet. Only during this brief period is communication possible with the small, mineral-rich planetoid inside the rift. The local population has esta ...more
Published February 28th 2012 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about That Which Divides, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Which Divides

Tommy Verhaegen
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, ebook_en
The Enterprise goes to the rescue of a starship in trouble. They meet a new people (for them) which is close to a first contact with brach of the first directive. An (un)natural rift that opens and closes at fixed intervals invites for exploration although this is where the other Federation starship met its end. A hidden base with old advanced technology and the Romulans that want to take possession of it give enough ingredients to deliver a book filled with action and some humor - always the be ...more
Cheryl Landmark
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I never tire of Captain James T. Kirk and the crew of the Starship Enterprise. Ever since the original series aired on television way back when, I've been an avid fan. And, not just of the tv show, but the books as well. This one was no exception.

Once again, the intergalatic adventurers met up with a new people and a new set of dangerous challenges. Mr. Ward's writing was excellent and he stayed true to the original characters, as well as tying parts of the story into past episodes. I also liked
Patrick Nichol
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dayton Ward's new Star Trek novel is a gift to fans of TOS.
It's a terrific read that could very easily have been a TV episode.
When the Romulans threaten a small mining colony it's up to the USS Enterprise to step in.
Complicating matters is an energy rift and a millenia-old defense system that is threatening to destroy it and all life forms.
I found's portrayal of the bellicose Romulans particularly enjoyable, as well as some cameos from notable Star Trek characters of the past.
Well done, sir!
Anthony Burdge
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trekkies
Recommended to Anthony by: Simon and Schuster
The events of That Which Divides takes place in the 4th year of the Enterprise's 5 year mission, which are related in many ways to the events of the 3rd year episode That Which Survives.

In That Which Survives, a story by the luminous DC Fontana (writing under the pseudonym Michael Richards) we find the Enterprise about to investigate an unexplored Class M Planet. As Captain Kirk, Doctor McCoy, Mr. Sulu and Lt. D'Amato are being beamed to the planet's surface they see the image of a beautiful wo
John Keegan
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
In the early days of Star Trek literature, particularly during the era of the Original Series film franchise, many of the novels co-existed in a semi-shared universe. There was a lot of time and effort spent between various authors and editorial to use the same set of minor characters, cross-reference, and follow roughly the same timeline. (Something far from established, in terms of the period between the first and second films.) In some cases, the novels also managed to tie into episodes from ...more
David Palazzolo
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Usually I enjoy my Star Trek books, (surprise!) but this one I really took a liking to. The main story sees the USS Enterprise investigating the circumstances surrounding the tragic loss of the USS Huang Zhong on the Dolysian colony of Gralafi. Apparently the craft ran afoul of an ancient defense system set in place by an extinct civilization centuries before the Dolysian colonization. Eventually we do find out who placed the defense system, a race mentioned in a Star Trek: The Original Series ( ...more
Kyle Phillips
May 31, 2012 rated it did not like it
"Star Trek: That Which Divides" provides a wonderful setup in the early stages. Unfortunately the rest of the book fails to follow through in a satisfying or exciting way, and is plagued with other crucial problems.

The individual characterizations of the Enterprise crew, while not wholly unbelievable, are mostly bland. Secondary arcs are underdeveloped and wholly interchangeable, which has the inverse effect of rendering characters more lifeless even as more is said about them.

The juxtaposition
Paul Lunger
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dayton Ward's "That Which Divides" is a very slight variation in the episode "That Which Survives". In this version, the Enterprise is called in to assist in the rescue of the U.S.S Huang Zhong which has crash landed on a planet in the Kondaii System. The planet itself is unique since it is located inside of an interstellar rift that only opens every 3 years. Ward does a rather remarkable with the plot as he keeps us guessing as to the mystery of the rift & the people who inhabit the system. ...more
Sean O'Hara
Generic Trek novel -- the Enterprise goes to investigate a mysterious planet surrounded by a mysterious energy field built by a mysterious and long dead civilization. Kirk and Spock mysteriously get trapped on the mysterious surface and have to investigate mysterious technology, while in space the Romulans show up and Scotty has to deal with them. Mysteriously.

For the first two-thirds of the book, the story was well executed despite its genericness, but unfortunately the final part ends up being
Andrew
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a lot of Original Series goodness in this book to enjoy - scheming Romulans, Kirk in a fistfight, an Enterprise that isn't invincible, and M'Ress and Arex, the characters from the Animated Series. In a way this reminded me of James S.A. Corey's recent book Abaddon's Gate (view spoiler). My only regret is that this sat on my shelf unread for a long time.
Dan
Jan 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, tos, e-books
A solid, well-written story, just one that didn't seem to completely capture my attention. I enjoy Mr. Ward's writing, and while this is not his best work, I still enjoyed reading it. In particular, the exploration of the lives of people other than the main cast as well as an interesting scientific quandary make this a pretty good read. Some parts seemed to drag on longer than they should, but these are few and far between.

Full review: http://treklit.blogspot.com/2012/03/t...
Jimyanni
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This is a very good Star Trek novel. It is not a great Star Trek novel. It is well-written, with a reasonable plot, tie-ins to the series, good characterization, good pacing, good dialogue, a reasonable conclusion, and a better than average feel of being a story that could have been an episode on the show. But it is not terribly memorable on any count; it's a good read, but not one that is likely to be remembered as a "favorite" a few months down the road.
Stephen
A pretty good adventure for Captain Kirk's time, featuring the Romulans. It's actually a good story, but it resolves quickly in the last 30 pages, and some of the scenes in the early pages seem like they'll payoff in the resolution and, well, they don't. But the Romulan part also seems thrown in just to up the danger and the red-shirt deaths. I liked reading it, but it wasn't a really organic story...most elements seemed forced.
Christopher Backa
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A sort of sequel to the episode That Which Survives, the Enterprise is sent on a rescue mission to find a missing star fleet scout ship. Dayton Ward captures the original series characters perfectly. The book reads like a season 2 episode of the series. The banter between the characters is spot on. The book also makes good use of some of the animated series characters like M'ress and Arex. I highly recommend this book.
J.D.
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I absolutely loved this book! It's so well written, true to the characters, great details and the feel of the book. I always enjoy long dead races tricks and discovery stuff. And Enterprise's crew cracking mysteries. Can I give another 5 stars for Spock playing cards and, logically, being a winner? He does have a right face for it.
Robert Greenberger
Dayton does a fine job with the original crew in this thoughtful adventure, building off the third season episode "That Which Survives". he uses the full crew, and then some, to good advantage and displays a good handling of character and voice. A very satisfying read.
Bryna
Apr 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Just an average Trek novel.
Andrew Beet
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very good book the romulan commander reminded me of the commander in the enterprise incident good story
Dustin
This was a fun read. It's a sequel of sorts to an old TOS episode, but it stands on its own. The author keeps the pace brisk and it felt like a proper episode of the series.
Jon Hook
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent feel for an original series episode. Great book.
Bob
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good old basic classic Trek tale... my guilty pleasure reading.
Jeff
Apr 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeff by: Found it on the library shelves
Shelves: science-fiction
A predictable, serviceable Star Trek adventure. The most interesting element was the introduction of a Romulan Chief Engineer as skilled and sympathetic as Chief Montgomery Scott.
Emilyf11
fabulous book that I enjoyed very much
Lily
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This was an excellent book. It had plenty of suspense, how can you go wrong with Romulans?

I highly recommend this book.
John
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good classic Trek novel, though a little predicable. Ward definitely knows how to make these characters behave in authentic ways, and that adds a lot to the reading.
Francisco J.
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant
Les
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty good Star Trek book; very much in the spirit of the original series and well written. I recommend it.
Robert Faughnan
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Very good story - well worth the time to read.
Elaine
Oct 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
rather abrupt wrap-up at the end, but good use of a character from one episode and the artifacts of a civilization encountered in another to create a new tale.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Rings of Time
  • Cast No Shadow (Star Trek)
  • A Choice of Catastrophes
  • Allegiance in Exile
  • Storming Heaven (Star Trek: Vanguard, #8)
  • Forgotten History (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations, #2)
  • Troublesome Minds (Star Trek)
  • The Crimson Shadow (Star Trek: Typhon Pact)
  • Unspoken Truth
  • The Shocks of Adversity
  • The Children of Kings
  • Savage Trade
Dayton is a software developer, having become a slave to Corporate America after spending eleven years in the U.S. Marine Corps. When asked, he’ll tell you that he left home and joined the military soon after high school because he’d grown tired of people telling him what to do all the time.

Ask him sometime how well that worked out.

In addition to the numerous credits he shares with friend and co
More about Dayton Ward...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire