Start by marking “Nehemiah Member Book: A Heart That Can Break” as Want to Read:
Nehemiah Member Book: A Heart That Can Break

Nehemiah Member Book: A Heart That Can Break

Published 2012 by LifeWay Press

To ask other readers questions about Nehemiah Member Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nehemiah Member Book

Erica
May 07, 2014 Erica rated it really liked it
I had never heard of Kelly Minter, so this was the fist study of her's that I've done. I was apprehensive, not only for doing a study by an author I've never heard of, but weather I'd find ways to relate with her. I was quite taken by surprise. Quite honestly, it wasn't about relating so much on a personal level, as it was on a spiritual one. Kelly encourages us to diligently seek God's will with a heart of compassion. She takes us on a journey with her main question always at the forefront: "Wh ...more
Spencer Radzanowski
Oct 04, 2012 Spencer Radzanowski rated it really liked it
My women's Bible study is going through this book and the video series that accompanies it. I am thoroughly enjoying Kelly's honest, funny and introspective writing style; I enjoy every minute of study! I've learned so much about myself, God and His heart for the world. Can't wait to finish and do another Kelly Minter study.
Kristen Gebbia
Jun 14, 2017 Kristen Gebbia rated it it was amazing
And EXCELENT Bible study! This was the first time I had studied anything by Kelly Minter and I'm definitely going to get more of her studies! She took a "boring" Old Testament book and brought it alive! I learned so much about Nehemiah! And the applications she drew for our lives today were beautiful. Kelly's style is simple, straightforward, and down-to-earth-relatable. She may just have topped Beth Moore for my favorite Bible study author!
Rachel
May 09, 2017 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Great study of this book of the Bible and loved the videos that came with it. Enjoyed her writing style, questions, discussion, recipes, and in depth guide.
Cathy Cramer
Kelly Minter has picked challenging, encouraging people to interview. I especially liked that her sister said she felt God saying to her "I love you anyway," despite the things that she did wrong. That is truly part of the good news of the gospel, that Jesus loves us anyway. Like we spoke about in the discussion, there are other parts of the good news that are harder to talk about - that we need Him to begin with, for example, not just for life and breath and being, but because we've all messed ...more
LauraBeth
Sep 15, 2015 LauraBeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
My small group selected this to study for six weeks and I really enjoyed it and got a lot out of it. What I liked most about it was that Kelly Minter definitely had you in the Word throughout the entire study (and not just in Nehemiah). Minter takes plenty of time in the book for observation and personal reflection/application from the Scripture. We did this study along with the weekly video series and I found that to be helpful. I'm sure I'll do another Kelly Minter study and now I know that if ...more
elisha
Aug 15, 2015 elisha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
God taught me so many things through this study... some of my favorite quotes from within it:

"Sometimes I shield myself from finding out what's really going on with people for fear I'll be held responsible. Because with information often comes responsibility; if we know, we might be required to do something." (pg 13)

"All day long we choose what goes in and out of our hearts and minds." (pg 43)

"Even well-meaning people can unintentionally draw us away from God's will in our lives." (pg 58)

"When y
Mary Havens
May 20, 2014 Mary Havens rated it it was ok
2015 Update: still doesn't rock my socks. I did this in the more compact form of every week for 6 weeks and I just don't "get" it. I did enjoy the videos, especially the one where Kelly visits the women's prison/rehab facility. I liked the videos more than the study. :/ I will try Kelly again if she lands in my lap but I'm just not blown away.

2014: Alright, here's the deal (or if you are my son, "This is the deal"). If you went through this book, hardcore, every day for eight weeks, I think it w
Raquel Arbogast
Jan 14, 2013 Raquel Arbogast rated it it was amazing
Ladies!!!! You must meet my Friend Nehemiah!!! Amazing short story... You will learn about you! You will learn to work for God the right way and a lot of History that you will only get by reading the Book of Nehemiah... Spoiler... You will learn the many places that God can take you if you submit to his will! They joy you feel when its not by your own will but Because of His Glory! Amazing six weeks! They led me to mature here in Charlotte while transitioning into this new season of my life... J ...more
Sharon
Sep 04, 2012 Sharon rated it it was amazing
This book is more than just a fascinating story of the Jews returning to Jerusalem after their Babylonian captivity and rebuilding the walls of the city as well as their lives. It is also more than just a portrait of one of the greatest leaders in the history of Israel. This is a life transforming journey into our own hearts; of rebuilding our own lives as well as the lives of others while removing the rubble that clutters our hearts and keeps us in a state of disgrace. I discovered a renewed se ...more
Elizabeth
Sep 07, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Shelves: bible-studies
I hate to give a Bible study 2 stars, but this one just didn't speak to me or move me the way others have. I slogged through and while Minter's voice grew on me, her questions and reflections felt a little flat for me personally at this stage in my life. I thought that she did a nice job with the history, but the explication and common thread of the themes was a little jumbled and I got a little tired of hearing her references to her singleness (just not relatable to me - to the right person, it ...more
Lisa  Schlottmann
Feb 03, 2014 Lisa Schlottmann rated it really liked it
I loved learning about Nehemiah. This was my first study with Kelly Minter and she is not very in-depth. I would have like a more in-depth study but my main issue was the videos that accompany the book. I felt like they did not add to the book but were more "infomercials" on what you can do to become a missionary person, whether through adoption, traveling or helping locally at places that need help. All great things - just didn't help add to the Nehemiah material imo. It was a good study though ...more
Mar 29, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone looking for fresh perspective on their life
I cannot say enough about this bible study. Absolutely incredible journey that I suggest every one of mine to take if they are up for it. Such a good message each and every week. I love Kelly's style which was effortless, real and genuinely transparent throughout. I missed quite a few on-site study days with my table of 10 fabulous girls, but the personal time with this book (a book of the bible I had never read) was perfectly timed. I love how God does that. 5 stars!!
Amy
Mar 24, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-me

Not since Beth Moore have I found an author who challenges me the way that Kelly Minter does. I love to learn under her teaching! Kelly makes everything 3 dimensional and digs deeply, both in thought and the Word to take you on a marvelous journey. Please know, you will learn a lot in a Kelly Minter study. Her studies are not feel good fluff. But I highly recommend anything that she does and I pray that she keeps writing. I am out of Kelly's studies and have done them all.
Jennifer Honeycutt
Apr 25, 2012 Jennifer Honeycutt rated it really liked it
Our women's Bible study group worked through this book, but it took us 7 months! Of course, we took the summer off so it didn't really take that long, but it did take us awhile. When we did discuss the study, we all got a lot out of it and had great discussions. I liked the video sessions that went along with it. And, I have a much better understanding of Nehemiah now!
Victoria
Jan 18, 2013 Victoria rated it really liked it
Shelves: christianity
This study, which goes through the entire book of Nehemiah, was marvelous. Minter uses an excellent mixture of close textual analysis and very abstract practical relevance to deliver a study that motivates one both to take action and to engage in introspection. I genuinely believe this study could offer something to anyone who is willing to undertake this study. I hope to do her Ruth study soon.
Beth Barron
Oct 09, 2015 Beth Barron rated it it was amazing
Incredible study on the book of Nehemiah. I did this on my own without the video sessions and still got so very much out of it. The content is not overwhelming like some studies can be, but is still rich and deep. Very worth the time it took to work through this. Kelly Minter's studies are some of my favorites.
Deborah
Jun 16, 2012 Deborah rated it really liked it
I studied Nehemiah in a women's Bible study. It was very interesting reading about the rebuilding Of Jerusalem and its wall and gates. Nehemiah showed the importance of obedience and sacrifice, of working to the good of others. He speaks to your heart and following God's will and the giving of your spiritual gifts.
Gina
Jan 26, 2013 Gina rated it really liked it
I read it for my own personal study of Nehemiah. I loved it! First time reading this book. Kelly Minter is a great teacher. She's real, honest, funny & introspective. I enjoyed the digging in, supplemental bible verses & the video interviews. It was easy to learn & grow with this study. I have learned so much about myself and God.
Tara Parker
This bible study opened up some of the old testament times that I'd never experienced before. In 52 days the walls and gates of Jerusalem were rebuilt and amazingly o ly thru the help of God was this accomplished. It also allows for opening up the meaning of the gates......it is truly a great study aide. God Bless!!
Samantha
Jul 16, 2012 Samantha rated it it was amazing
I've just completed this as part of a summer study and I've come out of it with a completely new look on life. Minter is all about applying Nehemiah to our everyday lives whilst calling on other Books, which I LOVE. It was a complete wake up call and I urge everyone to read this!
Mellie B
I enjoyed this Bible study so much that I did it twice in 2016 - once over the summer and again in the fall. I learned a lot about Nehemiah, Old Testament history and culture, and myself through both studies. I highly recommend it!
Leslie
Nov 14, 2012 Leslie rated it really liked it
Loved this Bible Study! Her writing is really engaging - and hilarious! I was pleasantly surprised at how interesting and applicable the book of Nehemiah was. It was nice to read a study that was fresh and modern, but not in a pandering or cheesy way.
Amy Bessin
Feb 25, 2015 Amy Bessin rated it liked it
Shelves: small-group
I enjoy this author, but this book was a little bit of a letdown. It lacked a clear direction and was difficult to get through at times. I still will continue to pursue some of her other books, but this was not a favorite.
Shannon
Sep 28, 2016 Shannon rated it liked it
I absolutely loved the Ruth study by Kelly Minter! This one was okay. She has such a fun, personable writing style....but this one fell a little flat. It wasn't awful, it just wasn't the same caliber I expected after reading Ruth.
Janice
Jul 22, 2012 Janice rated it really liked it
I am just finishing this as a small group summer study. While this is not an in depth study of Niehemiah, she adds a missional piece to each lesson, challenging you to seek where God would have you "live out" what you are studying. I find this refreshing. Kelly is a gifted writer and speaker.
Dani
Jan 02, 2015 Dani rated it it was amazing
This was a greatttttt study!!! Highly recommend!!
Becky
Aug 10, 2012 Becky rated it really liked it
Loved this study of the book of Nehemiah by Kelly Minter. My favorite from her is still her study on the book of Ruth, but nevertheless a very engaging and thought-provoking study.
Andria
May 06, 2014 Andria rated it it was amazing
This was an awesome study. I learned so much about Nehemiah, big ideas and small unknown to me facts.
Thomas
Aug 23, 2013 Thomas rated it really liked it
Shelves: psalm-119-105
Good study, especially on the back half of Nehemiah that is not as popular as the first couple chapters.
  • Gideon: Your weakness. God's strength: Member Book
  • Stuck Study Guide
  • James: Mercy Triumphs (Member Book)
  • Faithful Abundant True Weekend Retreat and Study Guide: Three Lives Going Deeper Still
  • Me, Myself, & Lies: A Thought-Closet Makeover -Bible Study Workbook
  • A Perfect Mess: Why You Don't Have to Worry About Being Good Enough for God
  • The 7 Experiment: Staging Your Own Mutiny Against Excess
  • Brave: Honest Questions Women Ask: Member book
  • The Girl's Still Got It
Kelly lives in Nashville, Tennessee, and serves the Lord passionately both across the U.S. and internationally in a variety of creative roles. An acclaimed author, musician, Bible study creator and teacher, she is passionate to see women impacted by Jesus and His Word.

Growing up outside of Washington, DC, Kelly was raised in a Christian home, the oldest of four children and daughter of a pastor. H
More about Kelly Minter...

“Sometimes I shield myself from finding out what's really going on with people for fear I'll be held responsible. Because with information often comes responsibility; if we know, we might be required to do something” 3 likes