Start by marking “Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations” as Want to Read:
Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations

Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  86 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Darkness exists everywhere, and in no place greater than those where spirits and curses still reside. Tread not lightly on ancient lands that have been discovered by this collection of intrepid authors.

In DARK TALES OF LOST CIVILIZATIONS, you will unearth an anthology of twenty-five previously unpublished horror and speculative fiction stories, relating to aspects of civi
Paperback, 1, 270 pages
Published March 1st 2012 by Dark Moon Books

To ask other readers questions about Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations

Mark Pearson
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: favorites
One of the best collections of dark fiction I have read in recent years. Eric J. Guigard did a fine job pulling together such an eclectic mix of stories. Each author has a completely different take on the theme, yet as an anthology it holds together extremely well. Personal favourites; Quetzalcoatl's Conquistador by Jamie Lackey and British Guiana, 1853 by Folly Blaine. I will read this book again soon.
Anita Patel
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have lately been overwhelmed with the amount of good books I want to read and when I do have the infrequent free time to just sit and read for pleasure, I want to make sure my time is well spent with something I enjoy. This book fits just that: a perfect read to escape the real world and travel to lands long-lost. I felt excitement as I read these stories as if they were written specifically for me. Each author has different opinions on ancient mysteries and folklore and scientific discovery b ...more
A.E.
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Overall, this is a very strong anthology with several impactful pieces that will appeal to a wide spectrum of genre fiction readers. Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations has a little bit of something for everyone, and left me very impressed and enriched after having read it. Check out my blog for the full review.
Judi
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book to read! This book was recommended to me through a book review club and I agree with their recommendation: It is a wonderful collection of exotic stories. This is an anthology (which means a collection of stories) that explores fictional answers and lore to some of the greatest mysteries and civilizations in history. It has a bent to horror and to archaeology, so if you enjoy dark fiction AND tales of science or discovery, this is for you! Not all of the stories are horror - some ...more
Jonathan Stewart
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent anthology of stories set in different lands and times, such as lost islands, futuristic deserts, ancient jungles, or laboratories of science. Although it’s classified as horror, none of the stories are gory or rely on “cheap scares.” The stories are more of adventure and exploration with dark “suggested” terror interwoven throughout. Highly recommended, especially if you are a fan of H. Rider Haggard, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Talbot Mundy, Conan Doyle, Anne Rice, or H.P. Lovecraft.
Vivian Metzger
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I like this book a lot! Read the entire book in one day - just couldn't put it down. It was very unique, and poignant stories relating to lots of old civilizations and mysteries. Some of the tales were horror, some very touching, and some funny. The editor brought together a very eclectic mix of writers from around the world to discuss fictional takes on ancient civilizations and peoples. Great idea for a collection of stories and well executed.
Christopher  Nelson
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The quality of stories that Eric Guignard has gathered makes this collection a real treat. This is is definitely not the run-of-the-mill anthology. Fine literature combined with evocative story-telling leave each piece well rendered and in a voice unique to each author. Well done, Mr. Guignard.
Jimmy Tam
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the best anthologies I've read in awhile. Not every story was boss, but ut was one awesome collection of new and retold legends and archaeology and ghosts of lost worlds and... civilizations. Just like the title of the book says: Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations. ;)
Resa
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was first approached to review this anthology for my e-zine Zombie Coffee, initially I was a little wary about it. History has never been my favorite subject, which led to historical fiction being one of my least favorite genres. Still, I decided to give this anthology a try because something about it intrigued me, and I’m very glad I continued reading because there are some gems in this book I’m glad I had the chance to discover.

Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations is a horror/speculative fictio
Kenneth Cain
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I picked up a copy of this book via the Horror Writer's Association Bram Stoker Award® 2012 recommendation list. This is a strong collection of stories Mr. Guignard has collected here and I enjoyed his comments for each (Side note: quite impressed by Jonathan Vos Post's notes and resume). I very much enjoyed "Quivira," "Quetzalcoatl's Conquistador," "Bare Bones" and Mr. Lansdale's tale among others. While everyone's taste is different, I liked the overall feel of these stories best, but all of t ...more
Michael Flores
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Masterful anthology. There's really something for everyone in this eclectic collection. I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I bought it for some good ol' chills and thrills which were abundant. DARK TALES OF LOST CIVILIZATIONS represents solid fiction.
Some of my favorites were:
We Are Not the Favored Children by Matthew Borgard
Quetzalcoatl's Conquistador by Jamie Lackey
The Small, Black God by Caw Miller
Bare Bones by Curtis James McConnell
Directions by Michael G. Cornelius
Angel of Destruction
Tara Baloun-keenum
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Great book!! Mind blowing twists and turns. Stories are all so different but yet hold the readers attention for hours!!!
Leta Blake
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed all the tales. A special favorite was "Sins of Our Fathers" by Wendra Chambers. Fantastic!
Jeff Carter
Jan 24, 2013 rated it liked it
History and Horror...is there a greater combination? Is there a difference between the two? Either way, I can't get enough of it.

Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations has enough chills and kills for the most intrepid explorer. My personal favorites were QUIVIRA by Jackson Kuhl, QUETZALCOATL'S CONQUISTADOR by Jamie Lackey, THE SMALL,BLACK GOD by Caw Miller, and WE ARE NOT THE FAVORED CHILDREN by Matthew Borgard. I could go on, but these were at the top of the pyramid for me.

Pat
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Just what the title says-a collection of tales of the dark side of exploration, whether scientific or geographical. I wasn't familiar with any of the authors, so appreciated that each story began with an intro from the editor and ended with author's biographical information. All the stories were very well-written and nicely scary, with some surprising twists. Eric Guignard did well as an editor to assemble these treasures.
I received a complimentary copy of this book in order to review it.
J.J. Toner
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent content, on the whole, but I spotted a few annoying typos here and there. I thought the later stories were stronger than the earlier ones.
Patricia V. Davis
Dec 20, 2017
Roh Morgon
Jul 17, 2012
Steven Pemberton
Mar 30, 2014
Fadzlishah Johanabas
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Rob Rosen
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Matthew Borgard
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Cherstin Holtzman
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Make
May 04, 2012
D. Rae
May 04, 2013
Eric Guignard
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Supernatural Noir
  • Baby Teeth: Bite-sized Tales of Terror
  • The Book of the Dead
  • Demons: Encounters with the Devil and His Minions, Fallen Angels, and the Possessed
  • Dark Faith
  • Bullettime
  • Hell Comes to Hollywood, Volume I
  • Anthology I: The Other Side
  • Jane
  • G.S.O.H Essential (Happy Ever After, #2)
  • The Fall of Never
ERIC J. GUIGNARD is a writer and editor of dark and speculative fiction, operating from the shadowy outskirts of Los Angeles, where he also runs the small press, Dark Moon Books. He’s won the Bram Stoker Award, been a finalist for the International Thriller Writers Award, and a multi-nominee of the Pushcart Prize.

He has over 100 stories and non-fiction works appearing in publications such as NIGHT
More about Eric J. Guignard

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • When Gravity Fails (The Budayeen Cycle, 1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99