Start by marking “Communion of Dreams” as Want to Read:
Communion of Dreams

Communion of Dreams

The year is 2052, and the human race is still struggling to recover from a massive pandemic flu some 40 years previously. When an independent prospector on Saturn’s moon Titan discovers an alien artifact, assumptions that we are alone in the universe are called into question. Knowing that news of such a discovery could prompt chaos on Earth, a small team is sent to investi ...more
Published January 17th 2012 by Artifact Imprints

To ask other readers questions about Communion of Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Communion of Dreams

Start your review of Communion of Dreams
Frankmoorman
Mar 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
In a post-crisis Earth, a discovery on another planet leads to the formation of a diverse team of people from various specialties to explore it. Membership includes scientists and geniuses of various stripes, an artist, soldiers, and a child prodigy, of diverse genders, ethnic backgrounds, and temperaments.

Communion of Dreams engaged my attention all along, with enough variation in the themes discussed, shifting of emphasis and suspicion among the various characters, and a rapidly developing con
Bkunkle
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Slow-moving sci-fi novel has fresh plot

An alien artifact is discovered on Titan, one of the moons of Saturn. It takes about 30% of the book for our hero to put together his team to go and investigate. That all could and should have been condensed into one chapter. A seemingly endless number of characters are introduced and then quickly discarded. It's confusing to try and track all of that.

After the investigation begins on Titan, things begin to move along a little more quickly.

I've been reading
Diane
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
This was a thoroughly enjoyable book, full of intriguing ideas, appealing characters (some of whom really are characters) and a well-crafted plot. That it is also a debut novel surprised me, and I hopefully look forward to more. James Downey can write!
Pamela
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-read-2012
Totally awesome good read. Something for most everyone. Sci- fi. Human nature. Generational relations. Mystery. Conspiracy theory. Comment on spirituality. Alien existence. Xenophobia.
Jesse
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
There is a lot to like in this book. I picked it up because I was intrigued by the synopsis: in the year 2052, explorers find an artifact on the surface of Titan that appears to have been manufactured, and not by human hands.

I'm always a sucker for space exploration, because I have a burning curiosity about what's really out there. Reading fiction about possibilities, no matter how farfetched, is the next best thing. And in addition to that, Communion of Dreams has the makings of a great adventu
John C. Terry III
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story with great ending.

Rated 5 stars due to very well done story progression. Unique and versatile use of AI character's. World building, just a bit in our future was a high point. Recommended for SciFi fans.
PCRob
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An optimistic read!

This is more of a "dialogue " novel, which I usually don't enjoy as much as "action". Nonetheless, I really enjoyed this book.
Mike
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
The writing flows along nicely enough. I was quite happy until abut a third of the way through. The story had been developing and was on the lines of '2001 Space Odyssey' (even gets a mention with regard to the monolith) and the team selection and activity of 'Sphere'. But then I felt the story got a shade bogged down with not really enough happening to justify the length. The idea is sound and the technical detail convincing but the desire to know what happened next gradually faded away. Maybe ...more
Amanda
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own-a-copy
This book is why e-publishing isn't all bad. I'm really glad that it was available, and it was a thoroughly enjoyably read. It suffered from some pacing issues, and there was so much going on (thematically and action-wise) that I didn't really sink into getting to know the characters as well as I would have liked, but overall, it was a thoroughly enjoyable and thought-provoking read. I also really liked the fact that it was set in a dystopian future, but clearly about how dystopias don't have to ...more
Kelly Graham
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book mixes hard science with fiction into a believable future. It reminds me of Cyteen and Wheelers. It is well-written (no typos, missing quotes, etc), the characters are fleshed-out and the storyline is gripping. I especially enjoyed the explanation for a lack of radio signals and other communication from extra-terrestrial civilizations. Brilliant work. I look forward to reading more of his stories.
Kitty
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Enough science Science Fiction

Some science fiction works so hard at creating the necessary fictional science that the story becomes unintelligible. This is not one of those books. The story is good. The magic-like science works for my brain. The characters are believable and engaging.

I look forward to reading more of Mr. Downey's fiction.
Kevin Dunston
Dec 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Good read

A slow start and took a bit too long to move Into the meat of the story. I found there to be a few too many characters and they black d drop both. This just added confusion, not the needed depth. Story line and subject matter saved the day. The pace picked up mid story and the book took off nicely.
Mary
May 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I dont't read much science fiction (preferring to watch it) but I choses this book to take a break for the serious mysteries I normally read. It turned out to be a mystery afterall.

Characterizations were great, including the cyber character Seth. I want an Expert of my own.
Clayton
Dec 27, 2012 rated it liked it
I had to stretch a bit to remember how this book ended. Not a good sign.... An interesting take on the evolution of computers. But the story seemed to get bogged down in a lot of meeting(!) dialog, and the main character was no compellingly sympathetic.
Avraham
Interesting sci-fi that isn't a shallow all action space opera. Good characters, interesting plot. I've never read 2012 A Space Odyssey, but from what I've heard and from having seen the moving, I agree with those who have compared it to that work.
Melissa
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was a good read. Inventive and kept me interested till the end.
Doreen Dalesandro
Kindle freebie, 12/25/12
Brian Richardson
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Started off with some interesting ideas, but quickly devolved into a lecture on scientific method with characters sketched, rather than fleshed out.
Brett Dunst
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
The first 1/3 of this book was intolerably slow. Full of process and theorizing and "what ifs".

I stuck it through to the end and things kicked up.
Heidi
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
The concept of this book was good but I found myself very confused in many parts of the book. I think that it was missing some descriptive text to explain more what was going on.
Jenny
May 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Pretty good characters. Plot was not always clear, easy to follow. Like it couldn't decide if it was mystical or sci fi.
Travis Brown
Aug 30, 2014
Ed
May 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Clone World (Undying Mercenaries Series Book 12)
  • Hillbilly Justice on the School Bus
  • Fear: Trump in the White House
  • Starliner
  • Open Borders: The Science and Ethics of Immigration
  • Rage of a Demon King (The Serpentwar Saga, #3)
  • Ironfoot (The Enchanter General, #1)
  • Graveyard Shift (Lana Harvey, Reapers Inc., #1)
  • The Last Survivors (The Last Survivors #1)
  • Great Expectations
  • The City of Dreadful Night
  • Pretty Witches All in a Row
  • Armada (By Strength and Guile Book 2)
  • Six of One (Runnymede, #1)
  • The Ultimate Gift
  • Much Ado About Nothing
  • Incursion (By Strength and Guile #1)
  • Fallen Empire Books 1-3