Start by marking “Bretonische Verhältnisse (Kommissar Dupin, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bretonische Verhältnisse (Kommissar Dupin, #1)

Bretonische Verhältnisse

(Kommissar Dupin #1)

Ein merkwürdiger Mord in französischer Sommeridylle, eine große Familientragödie und ein verblüffendes Geheimnis – willkommen in der Bretagne!

Der erste Fall für Kommissar Dupin, eigensinniger Pinguinliebhaber und koffeinabhängig, gebürtiger Pariser und zwangsversetzt ans Ende der Welt. An einem heißen Julimorgen kurz vor der Hochsaison geschieht im pittoresken Künstlerdorf
Published 2012 by Kiepenheuer & Witsch

Marita
Once famous for its mills and renowned as a village frequented by artists, Pont-Aven is now the scene of a grisly murder. Who would murder a ninety-one year old man, and why?

Commissaire Georges Dupin, formerly from Paris, is now based in nearby Concarneau and the case is his to solve. Fortunately Dupin has a good team who can do all the legwork and background inquiries as Dupin is very busy flitting about following up on his hunches. “Dupin hadn’t expected anything else here; this wasn’t a case
Cathy (cathepsut)
An armchair mystery by a German author with a French pen name, possibly trying to re-create Maigret in Brittany. Pretty boring. We get a bunch of aimless interrogations/interviews, dialogues that consist of many repetitions, a lot of walking and driving around and a fairly uninspired criminal case. Around the middle the plots gets a bit more interesting, but there is a distinct lack of suspense. The solution to the mystery is just as lackluster and one of the pivotal moments towards the end play ...more
Raven
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you’re keen to discover some new French crime fiction, Jean-Luc Bannalec is a real find. Death In Pont-Aven introduces us to Commissaire Dupin, a cantankerous Parisian caffeine junkie, who polices the small Breton village of Pont-Aven, a sleepy community near the sea. Everyone knows everyone else and nothing much seems to happen. However, one morning he is dragged from his coffee and croissant to the scene of a murder at the local Central Hotel. The housekeeper has discovered the 91-year-old ...more
Lesa
Ready for an atmospheric, traditional police procedural? Jean-Luc Bannalec's Death in Brittany was a bestseller for many months in Germany after its 2012 publication there. It's not a fast-paced thriller, though, so it won't make the bestseller lists here. It's for those of us who appreciate a thoughtful police officer and the slow unraveling of a crime. In addition, there are the beautiful small towns of Brittany to entice a reader.

Commissaire Georges Dupin was banished from the Paris police fo
Sonia De la rosa
Un libro de suspense entretenido y fácil de leer, con un protagonista, el comisario Dupin, carismático y algo gruñón. La trama no es muy rebuscada, y en ocasiones queda eclipsada por las descripciones de la región, la Bretaña, en donde sucede la historia.
Three
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
da un certo punto in poi si dà per scontato che un certo quadro sia stato rubato, senza avere mai parlato di un furto fino a quel momento (c'era stato un dubbio, molte pagine prima), e non è un dettaglio, perché da lì viene tutta la storia. Sono cose che danno sui nervi: ci vuol tanto a rileggersi, o a farsi rileggere da un editor? A parte questo è un giallo onesto, che si legge volentieri anche se molte pagine sembrano più una guida turistica del Finistère che un libro
Tuck
i guess like all bestsellers, inherently? they appeal to low level reading, and this being an international bestseller, it is universally poor plot, characters, sense of place? anyway, a police procedural set in small towns on coast of nw france...our detective is a renegade but gets down to business in his own way.
for better atmospherics, local scenes, and deeper thinkers in detection i like camilleri's books set in sicily Game of Mirrors ; dibdin's in naples Game of Mirrors ; mcilvanney in gla
Elisa
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, St. Martin's Press!
The way this book describes the town of Pont-Aven and the whole region of Brittany and its ambiance is a delight. The characters are well developed and the mystery develops at a steady pace, leaving a great taste in the reader's mouth. The one problem with this book is that it will make you crave Commissaire Dupin's morning croissant. A wonderful read!
Kathy
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More like 4.5 stars for me
I was fortunate in waiting for available copy of this book that I could also check out the second of this series at the same time. The third I was able to place on hold. I do love finding a new and very interesting police investigator (Commissaire Dupin) who does his own thing in his own way in his own time. A fourth book in the series will come out in Spring 2019. There is also a German television series already made and can be viewed on you tube. How's your German? Th
Maya
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Бретонски афери" на Жан-Люк Баналек е приятно и непретенциозно крими-четиво, носещо атмосферата на Бретан, Понт-Авен и пост-импресионизма и очевидно стремящо се да наподоби духа на разследванията на Мегре. Първоначалната ми изненада, че толкова френско звучаща книга е преведена от немски, отмина, след като разбрах, че авторът е бретонец по баща и германец по майка - това обясни и някои особености на стила, които ми бяха леко дразнещи.

Сюжетът се развива в идиличното градче Понт-Авен (който се и
Kaisu
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hach, als Buch hätte ich die Geschichte wohl nicht zu Ende gelesen. Dafür wird mir zu oft die Liebe zur Bretagne wiederholt und sich zu wenig auf den Fall konzentriert. Als Hörbuch passt es.
Margarethe
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: krimi
Pariser Kommissar ist in die Bretagne zwangsversetzt weil er seinen „Affekt“ nicht beherrschen kann. Nun lebt er seit drei Jahren dort und wird noch einige Generationen dort bleiben müssen um als nicht „neu“ eingestuft zu werden.
Der Kommissar wirkt grobschlächtig und ist koffeinabhängig etwas kauzig und einfach liebenswert.
Es gibt einen Fall zu lösen ein angesehener Hotelier wird erstochen in seinem Restaurant aufgefunden. Es gibt Familiengeheimnisse und die Bretagne zu entdecken.
Und irgendwann
Masteatro
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una muy agradable historia de detectives en el incomparable marco de la Bretaña francesa. El comisario Dupin consigue caer simpático al lector y con sus peculiares métodos resuelve un asesinato en un tranquilo pueblecito que el siglo pasado fue colonia de importantes pintores como Gaugin. Muy adecuada como lectura veraniega sea en la playa o en la montaña.
Franziska
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-readings
This was a very enjoyable crime story. This could be the perfect book for you particularly if you like france, breautiful small places near the ocean, wine, coffee, art and the better life in general. Or if you like me just want a break from the cold grey February weather.
Nicole
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing mystery with a great setting!
Brendagarza
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Hacía tiempo que me habían recomendado a este autor, honestamente me quede muy gratamente sorprendida.

Bannalec, tiene una narrativa tan rica que se antoja estar en los lugares que nos describe, la comida, las casas, el mar, en fin que dan ganas de irse a vivir ahí.

Una novela policíaca, de esas de antes, donde nos metemos en la investigación de la manera antigua, muy al estilo de los clásicos.

Hay quien puede creer que la novela policíaca tiene que ser necesariamente novela negra, yo no pienso así
Melanie (Mel's Bookland Adventures)
I really enjoyed this, a good start to a mystery series set in Brittany with a strong sense of place. Not grim, but not cosy either. Reminded me a lot of Donna Leon's Comissario Brunetti series set in Venice. Only downside is that I was permanently hungry for café and croissants, desire to go on holiday to Brittany asap and googled Gauguin a bit too much.
Richard Brown
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really excellent new murder mystery. Comissaire Dupin, the hero is a great character and the descriptions of the area are so good I actually visited a few weeks ago and had coffee at his favourite restaurant.
Beatrix
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: german
Eigentlich wollte ich diesen Krimi gleich lesen, als ich auch nur den Titel las. Habe schon lange nichts mehr gesehen, was in der Bretagne spielt. Und da ich die Gegend liebe und dort mal ein Jahr gelebt habe, sollte es doch ein leichtes sein mich von einem Regionalkrimi begeistern zu lassen. Dann kamen die ersten zweifelnden Stimmen und die Diskussion um die Identität des Autors verwirrte mich zunehmend. Meine Leselust nahm ab.

Doch dann hat mir eine liebe Seele ein unwiderstehliches Angebot gem
John Lee
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wasnt what I was expecting at all. When I briefly scanned a review or comment about this book I got totally the wrong idea. I was expecting an ordinary french village policemen similar to Chief Inspector Bruno , the only policeman in St Denis in the Dordogne in the novels by Martin Walker. Instead I got a sharp Police Commissaire from Brittany who, although a little unorthadox, was a quick witted murder detective. However, the current fashion in the modern police (and other) work to keep ev ...more
Christine Zibas
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's something to be said about writing that is so wonderfully descriptive that it can transport its readers to a place they may never have visited before. Such is the case with "Death in Brittany," the first in a series featuring a caffeine-driven, food-loving Commissaire Georges Dupin, a Parisian transplant who's been living and working cases in Brittany for three years and will forever be considered an outsider.

Dupin has unusual investigative methods, but in the end, they get their crimina
Booknblues
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france, mystery, series, art
For somebody who is a pretty omnivorous reader but junk foods on mysteries, finding a new series is an exciting prospect. One doesn't want to have too many series going at the same time or we end up feasting on our junk food or not keeping up with the series. I think with Jean-Luc Bannalec Commissaire Dupin series, I may have found a new series to read.

The setting of Brittany is intriguing and with the first bookDeath in Brittany, set in Pont-Aven where many artists including Gaughin gathered a
Inga
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Audiobook-Rezension 29. Januar 2014:
Es ist schon ein besonderer Charakter, den Jean-Luc Bannalec mit seinem Commissaire Dupin geschaffen hat. Zwangsversetzt aus Paris, hat er sich inzwischen an die Eigenarten von Land und Leuten in der Bretagne gewöhnt, sie sogar schätzen gelernt. Es wird auch schon bald deutlich, warum er zwangsversetzt wurde: Seine Ermittlungsmethoden sind eher unorthodox-egoistisch, er arbeitet schlecht im Team und ignoriert seine Vorgesetzten. Er ist auch hartnäckig und sch
Georg
May 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime, german
Ist schon seltsam, wenn ein deutscher Lektor umd (Mit-)Herausgeber einer Literaturzeitschrift unter falschem (französischen) Namen einen Krimi veröffentlicht, der in der Bretagne spielt. Um glaubwürdig zu erscheinen, baut er eine Menge sprachlicher Schnitzer ein, so als kenne er nicht einmal den Unterschied zwischen Adjektiven und Adverbien.

Beispiele (unvollständige Auswahl):

„… ist uns etwas Stupendes gelungen:“ (1646 [zitiert nach Kindle-Positionene]
„… penible Frisur“ (2740)
„… ist mir unrecht“
Ronald Roseborough
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, murder, mystery
Reading this story is a bit like tasting wine, sometimes you savor the sweetness, sometimes the taste is a little dry, and sometimes you notice a hint of something you can’t quite put a name on. French Police Commissaire George Dupin finds himself in charge of a murder investigation in the village of Pont-Aven located in the picturesque provence of Brittany. Being a native Parisian himself, he still feels out of place among the Bretons, their old Celtic traditions, and their suspicious attitude ...more
Clare O'Beara
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: europe-crime
Brittany and Pont-Aven are the main settings for this police procedural. If you are allergic to French names, tread with care. At the start of tourist season in the coastal town, the police detective Dupin who is enjoying the contrast with Paris, is summoned to inspect the scene of a murder. A prominent businessman has been found dead - of course, nobody had any grudge against him, and the rest.

We see a lot of the historic and attractive setting as Dupin investigates. For instance, the Bretons
Pam Mertens
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the story; it held my interest to the end. The murderer was not who I thought it would be, given all the possibilities. And the descriptions of Brittany made me want to add that area of France to my travel list. I'm looking forward to reading more of Commissaire Dupin.
WortGestalt
Ein sehr gleichmäßig erzählter Kriminalroman ohne große Spannungsspitzen. Weder der Stil noch der Plot haben mich überzeugt, aber die Kommissarfigur war angenehm unaufgeregt und das Thema Kunst hat mir immerhin ein wenig über französische Malerei beibringen können. Ansonsten erschien mir der Roman in seinem Aufbau sehr konventionell, ein sehr klassischer Krimi, ohne große Überraschungen.
Corinne Sanchez
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un peu lent mais tranquille et changeant comme le soleil du sud Finistère. Je me suis prise d'affection pour ce commissaire Dupin qui aime les promenades au bord de l'eau . Un bon moment
Claire
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ready to pack my bags for a trip to Brittany. Nicely convoluted plot and good atmosphere and description. Looking forward to more in the series.
Play Book Tag: Death in Brittany (Commissaire Dupin, #1) by Jean-Luc Bannalec - 4 stars 9 12 Dec 27, 2018 08:59AM
translator? 1 2 Jun 28, 2018 09:02AM
  • Mörderischer Mistral (Roger Blanc, #1)
  • Föhnlage (Kommissar Jennerwein, #1)
  • Milchgeld (Kommissar Kluftinger, #1)
  • Rester groupés
  • Asylum City
  • Phantom Limb (Daniel Rinaldi #4)
  • Il posto di ognuno: L'estate del commissario Ricciardi
  • Wash This Blood Clean from My Hand (Commissaire Adamsberg, #6)
  • Περαίωση (Η Τριλογία της Κρίσεως, #2)
  • An Unsettling Crime for Samuel Craddock  (Samuel Craddock Mystery, #6)
  • Liebe. Ein unordentliches Gefühl
  • Serpenti nel Paradiso
  • Eine unbeliebte Frau (Bodenstein & Kirchhoff, #1)
  • Caught Dead (Rick Van Lam, #1)
  • The Dark End of the Street: New Stories of Sex and Crime by Today's Top Authors
  • The Crowded Grave (Bruno, Chief of Police #4)
  • Ein König für Deutschland

Kommissar Dupin (7 books)
  • Bretonische Brandung (Kommissar Dupin, #2)
  • Bretonisches Gold (Kommissar Dupin, #3)
  • Bretonischer Stolz (Kommissar Dupin, #4)
  • Bretonische Flut (Kommissar Dupin, #5)
  • Bretonisches Leuchten (Kommissar Dupin, #6)
  • Bretonische Geheimnisse (Kommissar Dupin, #7)
“Una mar en calma nunca hizo buen marinero.   Dicho bretón” 1 likes