Start by marking “The Life She Left Behind (The Santina Crown, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Life She Left Behind (The Santina Crown, #0.5)

The Life She Left Behind (The Santina Crown 0.5)

3.28  ·  Rating details ·  616 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
The Santina Crown… Royalty has never been so scandalous!

Heiress Angelina Carpenter traded in diamonds for denim–and the freedom to make her own choices–when she fled from her arranged marriage to Sheikh Taj Ahmad. Now working as a nanny for the royal family of Santina, Angelina can’t help but risk a glimpse at the glamorous life she left behind during a lavish party…and ru
ebook, USA Edition Harlequin Presents
Published February 29th 2012 by Harlequin Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Life She Left Behind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life She Left Behind

Fiona Marsden
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves to wallow in a classic series romance
Recommended to Fiona by: Mills & Boone site blurb
Sometimes it can be quite illuminating when you read the reviews for a book you've already finished reading. Especially the ones who give poor reviews. I can't help but wonder what they were expecting. Too short...yes it's a novella. Not enough character development...did I mention it was a novella? Too many tropes. Tropes...I thought that was to do with you know, a play on words, but now I find it is a sort of upmarket cliche. So there were cliche's in the story. Can you say series romance real ...more
Charlie
Loraine
Apr 11, 2012 rated it liked it
I am writing this excusing a lot of issues because of the "novella" length. Honestly, it shouldn't have been because there was a ton of things missing from the story that a reader wants to read and needs to know in order for the book to really click. Examples: Character development (the story is pretty shallow without understanding the players), plot development (there was a beginning, a middle and an ending... that's all you need, right?), and a good climax (and not the sexual kind, either!). I ...more
Cindy
May 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
I'm embarrassed I read this. I mean, just look at the cover. But it was a free kobo book and I've never read a Harlequin romance before, so, yeah. I used to see people borrow them by the stacks when I worked at the library so clearly many people like these - how bad could it be, right? Uh, bad. So, so bad. Now I don`t know what to do with the rest of the free Harlequins I downloaded from Kobo. Part of me says, read them, they were free. But, then I would have to come on here and complain about t ...more
Kathryn Parry
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a freebie it goes up in value for me when there is no cliffhanger and it hasn't got one so yay.
It is well written short novella, which means a quick read. You are not going to get earth shattering depths to the story but it did keep me entertained. More of a story than a sex scene so another bonus for me. Predictable yes but sometimes that's all you have time for so another bonus for me today. It's a good enough love story for me. Worth the read if you want that comfort reading material.
L.   (Super Easy. Barely An Inconvenience.)
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Patients in the waiting room of their dentist
Shelves: romance, novella
Well, that was abrupt. You've got your patented Harlequin heroine who falls in love with a rich and broody man. You've got your sheik who knows how to do the heroine every which way til Sunday but doesn't know how to love. *Blink* Ooh, the story is done.
Jenny
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Short and sweet!
Maura
Paula
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eine Geschichte für zwischendurch.
Ich konnte die Protagonistin nicht immer in ihren Entscheidungen verstehen bzw warum sie diese so schnell getroffen hat. Insgesamt hätte das Buch vielleiht etwas mehr Seiten gebraucht.
Laurie Gyd
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet love

Great romance, a second chance at love. When the shrill catches sight of his lost love, he believes her a mirage. When they reconnect it's everything they believed it to be. Short, sweet romance.
Katrina Holder
May 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was more a YA type of thing. Held a promise that wasn't really delivered for an older audience to really enjoy
Pauline Frost
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A well written prequel to a series you don't want to miss. You cannot help who your heart falls in love with but the love has to be from both to make a happy life together.
Wendy Sparrow
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
I'll be honest that while I read a decent amount of romance novels--I'm not incredibly well-versed in Middle East modern culture so I can't really speak to that aspect of other reviews.

As for the story itself, it was a novella--very, very short and meant to just encapsulate moments in a relationship, and I think it did that well--especially for a prequel to a series. The characters obviously came from different cultures and had different expectations for what was entailed in a relationship, but
Vanessa
Jul 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Laura the Highland Hussy

I haven't read a Harlequin since I was in high school, and you know what? They haven't changed all that much, which is kind of comforting.

Taj and Angelina had met a few years back, and fallen in love. Her father was a big time oil magnate who wanted Taj to marry Angelina to cement their business arrangement. Taj sees no problem with this.
Once Angelina realizes that she's being bartered in a business deal, she runs.

After creating her own life as nanny to
Chris
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a novella, so it's rather short but it's still pretty good. I really like the heroine, Angelina. She's very strong and she left behind a rather luxurious life because she could not stand to be an object to be bartered between her father and the man she loved.

I just love how practical and strong Angelina was. She's very responsible and did not runaway when things got complicated between her and the hero, Taj. This was rather refreshing since most HP heroines tend to run and hide when thi
Lucina
2.5 Stars

german review

Für eine Contemporary Novella à la "Groschenroman" gar nicht so schlecht, aber auch überhaupt nicht außergewöhnlich. Purer Durchschnitt. Die Charaktere sind durchschnittlich, die Probleme sind durchschnittlich und die Handlung ist auch durchschnittlich. Ich meine, man nehme eine reiche Erbin und ein reichen Scheich, große Anziehungskräfte, einmal ungeschützen Sex, eine ungewollte Schwangerschaft und eine vermeindlich unglückliche Liebe und schon hat man das Rezept von "Th
Shawna Hansen
Aug 26, 2012 rated it liked it
As I read through the book, the style of the writing and the story brought back memories of reading my grandmother's Harlequin romances in the 1970s. I was surprised to see the publication date was 2012. This is a fun & simple romance about an extremely powerful couple - he is a sheikh and she's an oil heiress - who fall for each other for all the wrong reasons. She goes into "hiding" (working as a nanny for a countess!) to avoid being a pawn in her father's and boyfriend's worlds. The two s ...more
Alixendra
Apr 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, nook-books
Pam
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
I haven't read this style Harlequin release since high school and now I remember why. This one was quick and I mean quick. I know it's says novella but don't believe it. Chapter one started on page 4 and the story ended very abruptly on page 52...that makes it what...a mere 48 pages? To me that's a long short story. Then there was an additional 20 pages of excerpts and other things. I have to admit I was annoyed.

Needless to say there isn't much time for character development and just when Taj a
Tonileg
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, kindle
This is a contemporary romance that mostly occurs in Europe and a middle-eastern country (perhaps make-believe kingdom?). This is the love story of Angelina Carpenter and Sheikh Taj Ahmad. This is not a Cinderella scenario. Angelina is a rich and educated from a famous Texan Oil family so isn't a powerless submissive lover to the Shiekh.
This was light romantic fare that I quickly read on a short flight between Germany and France. I got this free for kindle.
2 stars
Elizabeth
Nov 05, 2014 marked it as dnf-did-not-finish
It’s rare that I’ll DNF a novella, but I just couldn’t make it past page 25. Why do I bother even trying to read a romance involving a Sheik. They drive me cray-cray on so many levels.
He’s a Muslim, yet he describes her as a petulant child on Christmas. And his insistence that they get married seemed premature. BUT, I’ll stop now There’s a target for these books, but it’s not me.
Carmen
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Reading a novella forces one to accept a back story, you have no knowledge of. As a reader, I have a problem doing that sometimes, even with a full length tome(The Road comes to mind). However, for whatever reason, these two characters clicked with me, maybe it was the lack of subterfuge between them but, it was an enjoyable, albeit short read.
Jessica
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Ugh. Hate it when the male lead is so completely undesirable that it makes any sexual encounter in the novella seem gross. Perhaps, if the story had been a bit longer, they could have made me like him a little better, but for now, I'm stuck thinking "so what if you're knocked up....find someone else".
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Wow, I don't know how to rate this. Maybe 1.5 stars? It was too short to have any depth, and the characters have zero development. It features one of my favorite romance tropes, too, but there just wasn't enough here to satisfy my craving for a convincing reunion story. Maybe I will enjoy the longer books in the series better?
Lenore Kosinski
2.5 stars -- meh. It was ok. It was a novella, and Presents books are short little reads already...so you really didn't get enough to get to know the characters and see them as more real, and not just caricatures....
 Gigi Ann
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm so glad this was a novella, I just couldn't get drawn into the story. It is a part of my Nook library and I awarded it 2 dim-lit stars. However, it was a freebie book so no complaint in that area. I don't think I will be reading anymore books by this author.
Stevie Carroll
A novella to introduce a series of category romances. The story was cute enough, although it didn't tick all my boxes, but there were enough intrigues in the background for me to look out for the other books.
Rebecca
Dec 03, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a nice introduction to Ms. Yates writing. It's very short (only a novella), so some excuses must be made but I felt there was still good character development and an interesting storyline. I'll definitely be checking out more of her books.
SandraE
Mar 26, 2012 added it
Shelves: kindle
A typical Harlequin romance.
  • Strangers in the Desert
  • Monarch of the Sands
  • Trouble in a Pinstripe Suit
  • Sheikh with Benefits
  • Heart of a Desert Warrior (Royal Brides #10)
  • Cupcakes and Killer Heels (Brothers & Sisters, #2)
  • His Majesty's Mistake (A Royal Scandal, #2)
  • A Christmas Night to Remember
  • His Reputation Precedes Him (The Lyonedes Legacy, #2)
  • The Man Behind the Scars
  • Powerful Italian, Penniless Housekeeper
  • Girl in the Bedouin Tent
  • Santina's Scandalous Princess (The Santina Crown #3)
  • Unlocking Her Innocence
  • The Sultan's Choice
  • Wyatt: Return of the Cowboy
  • An Offer She Can't Refuse
  • Never Stay Past Midnight
New York Times and USA Today Bestselling author Maisey Yates lives in rural Oregon with her three children and her husband, whose chiseled jaw and arresting features continue to make her swoon. She feels the epic trek she takes several times a day from her office to her coffee maker is a true example of her pioneer spirit. In 2009, at the age of twenty-three Maisey sold her first book.

Since then
More about Maisey Yates

The Santina Crown (8 books)
  • The Price of Royal Duty
  • The Sheikh's Heir (The Santina Crown #2)
  • Santina's Scandalous Princess (The Santina Crown #3)
  • The Man Behind the Scars
  • Defying the Prince
  • Princess From The Shadows (The Santina Crown, #6)
  • The Girl Nobody Wanted
  • Playing the Royal Game (The Santina Crown #8)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
  • The Yard Rose
  • Otherkin
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Driven by Fire (Fire, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken, Not Spurred (Lone Star Burn, #1)
  • The Lovers' Guide to Rome
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6)
    $7.99 $2.99