Start by marking “An Enemy Called Average” as Want to Read:
An Enemy Called Average

An Enemy Called Average

Endorsed by numerous Christian leaders, such as Art Linkletter, Morris Cerullo, Tony Campolo, the late Jamie Buckingham, Carlton Pearson, Bill Joe Daugherty, and the late Dr. James Kennedy. This books has a proven track record of sales. More than 500,000 copies sold!

Written in John Mason's very populare "nugget style."

John Mason travels and speaks across the U.S.
Published May 1st 1996 by Insight International (first published December 31st 1899)

To ask other readers questions about An Enemy Called Average, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Enemy Called Average

Start your review of An Enemy Called Average
Arcyllin Arcilla
Dec 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How easy it is for us to be content with what is good and just stay there where it's comfortable. However, we serve an excellent God Who didn't just make things good---He made them very, very good.

I never realized that settling for what is good or good enough is not good at all. This book opened my eyes to the potential God has placed in my life, if only I would allow Him to use me and if only I would follow Him with my all. This book, when lived out, can definitely change a life.
Aya Gamal
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
to get the most benefit from what you read , you must read and apply .
don't waste your time just start and take a good step to change your life to be better.
Erin
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favorites! I have bought many copies and have given them to pastors, other ministers and friends. These are short but powerful little nuggets of wisdom and encouragment. I have used it for a devotional many times. Great one-liners that stick in your head to be able to encourage yourself as well as others around you.
Arwa
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
loved it
so easy to read
Michelle
Ironically, I thought this audiobook was average.
Cedric Dukes
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gives us nuggets of success to use daily on how not to procrastinate and to look at your life as a legacy. It talked about how not to look at your current circumstances but to target those things that are in front of you. Success is absolutely expedited by hard work and not just checking something off the list but planning the most important things that will move the needle.
Keith McShan
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
* Audio book Review*

This was a quick read, but had a bundle of information. I loved the use or parables and stories to get the message across. This was a great book on how we can take small steps not to live the average lifestyle and how to be great at what we do. Learning how to build on our strength and soar like eagles are some of the lessons in this book. I would highly recommended this book.

Anika Saño
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must-read! This well-written book is full of godly wisdom extracted from the bible and useful for group discussions and book clubs as well as bible studies. I learned about this book from my Christian workmate and I am very thankful I got to read this.

Now I am looking forward to reading other books from the same author.
Kuyet
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short chapters which are straight to the point but packed with so much to digest. Powerful book which I will recommend for every purposeful and deliberate individual who desires to rise above being average in thinking and mindset. Cheers!!!
Lori Nitta
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent quick nuggets that you can apply to life, work, business, etc. It’s all to create a mindset that’ll help you think outside the box and be a better person. Must read and it’s so quick. Don’t miss out on the powerful wisdom each nugget brings.
Emma
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great lessons. Not a fan of the style the book was written with lots of short chapters, but I can see how the author used it to convey each individual message so I suppose it makes sense in this case.
Himanshu
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book has truly transformed my life. The most interesting feature of this book is it's simple language which is easy to understand and grasp. The book is best personal development book I have ever read. A must read book in your entire lifetime.
Brettne Shootman
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually reread books but I could start this one again, today! It was that good. Awesome nuggets for striving to live out God's plan for our lives. Loved it!
John Browning
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great and insightful book full of encouragement and reminders of what we so often do to ourselves rather than have done to us.
Inonge P
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
love love love!!
Angela ML
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazing read! Second time reading! Really great nuggets to give you energy to catapult you in to your day and life. Love John Mason
Alaine Jackson
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a phenomenal book. I literally wanted to highlight the entire thing!
Trillionz Engr
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
good
Pamela Cooper
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent nuggets which provide inwad, upward, and outward change.
Tim
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of great quotes and wisdom worthy of reflection.
Ana Mark
Avarage self help book. But as the author says "... in the eyes of average people, average is always considered outstanding."
Danielea
Noelle
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirazione
No one deserves to be on the sidelines. If we were meant to be "glorious" in any way we want to, then so be it! This book is equipped with Bible verses to keep you up and running for your life, literally. It emphasizes the power of deep trust with the Lord who counsels, cares and keeps us up with the world we're in. Be it a dream career or a completion of a future project we're praying for, the outcome lies in how deep and how intense our prayers are.
Solid and firm with his uplifting lines, Joh
pianogal
Since defeating mediocrity has been a passion of mine for a while now, I really REALLY wanted to like this one more than I did. The author simply broke up the book into 52, 2 pg nuggets - which felt more like TO DO lists than anything else. I needed more depth and thought besides a quick dash off of an idea. Maybe the newer editions have more love in them, but I read the original and ironically, found it surprisingly average. Good ideas, but nothing to build on them.

I like the thought behind thi
Ramon
Apr 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Due to its size, structure, and overall ease of reading, I honestly want to give this book a higher rating. I can't. If one is new to motivational books or hasn't read much on leadership, this book is a great introduction. The one and a half page nuggets are good, but again there isn't any ground breaking material here. I underlined a couple of lines and starred some things that stood out.
This is a good book and I would recommend it to anybody starting off on their leadership journey. I wish I h
Christopher Lewis Kozoriz
God desires that we run with the vision and goal in our life. As long as we are running with the vision, we won't turn around. When you walk with a vision, it's easy to change directions and go the wrong way. You can't stroll to a goal. ~ John Mason, An Enemy Called Average, p. 41

This book has 52 nuggests of wisdom that mainly speak to living an above average life. As the title suggests, our enemy is mediocrity.

This book shares some wisdom, knowledge and understanding on how to arm yourself wit
Shankia Tinsley
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I feel that everything in this book a believer should apply to his or her Christian walk. Just about each section revealed something about myself that was either missing or needed work. This short but truth-filled read was definitely uplifting and inspirational, and it is not the type of book that once you have finished, you put away. No. It is the type that you come back to time and time again when in need of motivation or spiritual enhancement.
Melissa Omolo
Was a great read....Full of a lot of inspirational nuggets....the quote that will always remain ingrained in my mind is the journey is more important than the destination.It's time to enjoy the process of having our character developed as we strive to reach higher levels of self-actualization in this life.It's time to avoid shortcuts and enjoy the ride however bumpy and ugly it may get.
Chuck
Mar 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
An Enemy Called Average contains 52 "nuggets" to be read and studied for one week, sort of an inspirational/devotional guide. The nuggets are good, but I'm impatient and finished it in five months.

I can't say that one reading has changed my life but the nuggets are good little reminders to avoid mediocrity in our daily life. Three stars for now but it deserves to be used as directed!

• Hung by the Tongue
  • Tough Times Never Last, but Tough People Do!
  • Developing the Leader Within You
  • The Go-Giver: A Little Story About a Powerful Business Idea
  • Am I Making Myself Clear?: Secrets of the World's Greatest Communicators
  • The Generosity Factor
  • Don't Eat the Marshmallow Yet!: The Secret to Sweet Success in Work and Life
  • How Successful People Think: Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life
  • The Choice
  • You Win in the Locker Room First: The 7 C's to Build a Winning Team in Business, Sports, and Life
  • Wired That Way
  • Wired That Way: A Comprehensive Guide to Understanding and Maximizing Your Personality Type
  • A Better Way to Live
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • How I Raised Myself From Failure to Success in Selling
  • Three Feet from Gold: Turn Your Obstacles Into Opportunities!
  • How To Start A Conversation And Make Friends
  • Happy Wife Happy Life
John Mason is a national best-selling author, noted speaker, and executive author coach. He is the founder and president of Insight International and Insight Publishing Group.

He has authored twenty-five books including "An Enemy Called Average," "You’re Born an Original Don’t Die a Copy," and "Know Your Limits—Then Ignore Them" which have sold nearly two million copies and are translated into thir