Start by marking “An Enemy Called Average” as Want to Read:
An Enemy Called Average

An Enemy Called Average

Endorsed by numerous Christian leaders, such as Art Linkletter, Morris Cerullo, Tony Campolo, the late Jamie Buckingham, Carlton Pearson, Bill Joe Daugherty, and the late Dr. James Kennedy. This books has a proven track record of sales. More than 500,000 copies sold!

Written in John Mason's very populare "nugget style."

John Mason travels and speaks across the U.S.
Published May 1st 1996 by Insight International (first published December 31st 1899)

To ask other readers questions about An Enemy Called Average, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Enemy Called Average

Start your review of An Enemy Called Average
Arcyllin Arcilla
Dec 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How easy it is for us to be content with what is good and just stay there where it's comfortable. However, we serve an excellent God Who didn't just make things good---He made them very, very good.

I never realized that settling for what is good or good enough is not good at all. This book opened my eyes to the potential God has placed in my life, if only I would allow Him to use me and if only I would follow Him with my all. This book, when lived out, can definitely change a life.
Aya Gamal
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
to get the most benefit from what you read , you must read and apply .
don't waste your time just start and take a good step to change your life to be better.
Erin
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favorites! I have bought many copies and have given them to pastors, other ministers and friends. These are short but powerful little nuggets of wisdom and encouragment. I have used it for a devotional many times. Great one-liners that stick in your head to be able to encourage yourself as well as others around you.
Arwa
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
loved it
so easy to read
Michelle
Ironically, I thought this audiobook was average.
Cedric Dukes
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gives us nuggets of success to use daily on how not to procrastinate and to look at your life as a legacy. It talked about how not to look at your current circumstances but to target those things that are in front of you. Success is absolutely expedited by hard work and not just checking something off the list but planning the most important things that will move the needle.
Keith McShan
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
* Audio book Review*

This was a quick read, but had a bundle of information. I loved the use or parables and stories to get the message across. This was a great book on how we can take small steps not to live the average lifestyle and how to be great at what we do. Learning how to build on our strength and soar like eagles are some of the lessons in this book. I would highly recommended this book.

Anika Saño
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must-read! This well-written book is full of godly wisdom extracted from the bible and useful for group discussions and book clubs as well as bible studies. I learned about this book from my Christian workmate and I am very thankful I got to read this.

Now I am looking forward to reading other books from the same author.
Lori Unemori
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent quick nuggets that you can apply to life, work, business, etc. It’s all to create a mindset that’ll help you think outside the box and be a better person. Must read and it’s so quick. Don’t miss out on the powerful wisdom each nugget brings.
Emma
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great lessons. Not a fan of the style the book was written with lots of short chapters, but I can see how the author used it to convey each individual message so I suppose it makes sense in this case.
Himanshu
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book has truly transformed my life. The most interesting feature of this book is it's simple language which is easy to understand and grasp. The book is best personal development book I have ever read. A must read book in your entire lifetime. ...more
Eunice
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent tead

Excellent book, simple read but priceless wisdom in little wits of wisdom to push one out of mediocrity. Brings home the simple truths we know but yet never implement them in our lives.
David Quek
Mar 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational Nuggets

Full of inspiration. We need that push in life. This book has served that purpose. The author has a way with words that makes you think. The result, the heart is inspired.
Brettne Shootman
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually reread books but I could start this one again, today! It was that good. Awesome nuggets for striving to live out God's plan for our lives. Loved it! ...more
John Browning
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great and insightful book full of encouragement and reminders of what we so often do to ourselves rather than have done to us.
Inonge P
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
love love love!!
Angela ML
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazing read! Second time reading! Really great nuggets to give you energy to catapult you in to your day and life. Love John Mason
Alaine Jackson
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a phenomenal book. I literally wanted to highlight the entire thing!
Trillionz Engr
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
good
Pamela Cooper
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent nuggets which provide inwad, upward, and outward change.
Tim
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of great quotes and wisdom worthy of reflection.
Ana Mark
Avarage self help book. But as the author says "... in the eyes of average people, average is always considered outstanding." ...more
Danielea
Waleed
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
This short easy to read book is one of the books every person who wants to develop themselves should read. If you are a Christian, you'll like this book even more! ...more
Elizabeth
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
One motivating quote after another! This will jumpstart your passion to be extraordinary!
Minwoo Kim
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
There is no excuse in front of God. Excuse makes us choose "AVERAGE". ...more
Tom Zeller
Feb 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Motivational and Reassuring book. It focuses on the Biblical perspective but I believe non-believers would gain from reading it as well.
Tim Genry
Mar 16, 2021 rated it liked it
Short, simple book with some good quotes and reminders. I enjoyed it.
Cat Rayne
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
In an effort to cull many books from my library An Enemy Called Average by John Mason was picked up after years of being tucked on a shelf, and re-read.

Clearly an offering of gems of wisdom and motivation surrounded by the theme of God’s providence.

NUGGET #1- Your least favorite color should be beige...and the author adds brilliant hues to 51 more offerings that both inspire and convict.

Best to read in small spans and allow the “nuggets” to take hold. Either way, you won’t close the book with
« previous 1 3 next »

• Skill with People
  • Wired That Way
  • The Dream Giver
  • The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth: Live Them and Reach Your Potential
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • What to Say When You Talk to Yourself
  • How to Have Confidence and Power in Dealing with People
  • The Business of the 21st Century
  • The Power of a Praying Woman
  • Declutter Your Way to Success
John Mason is a national best-selling author, noted speaker, and executive author coach. He is the founder and president of Insight International and Insight Publishing Group.

He has authored twenty-five books including "An Enemy Called Average," "You’re Born an Original Don’t Die a Copy," and "Know Your Limits—Then Ignore Them" which have sold nearly two million copies and are translated into thir

News & Interviews

“John Mason wrote a very good book that I recommend you read: An Enemy Called Average. I learned from this book: ‘Know your limits, then ignore them. The most unprofitable item ever manufactured is an excuse. Don’t sit back and take what comes. Go after what you want’ ” (excerpt from her book, A Leader in the Making).” 9 likes
“It is always better to fail in doing something than to excel at doing nothing.” 3 likes