Start by marking “Cradle Me” as Want to Read:
Cradle Me

Cradle Me

Native American families have a way of carrying their infants and this book shows the different tribes and how they carry them to keep them close to the mothers body and keep the baby happy.
The cradle board is blessed prior to placing the baby in it.
Each board is personalized for each tribe.
Board book, 12 pages
Published April 15th 2012 by Star Bright Books Inc (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Cradle Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cradle Me

This board book has several features which earn it high ratings and a place in my ESL classroom: It features photos of children in their cradleboards from almost a dozen Native American nations. The first page encourages readers to say each word (smiling, thinking, sleepy) in their own language. The words themselves are state-of-being words that help beginning students with self-expression and communicating needs and wants.

Perhaps most importantly: although this book is clearly a celebration of
Sara Thompson
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
A sweet board book featuring babies in cradle boards. This is a neat peek into a Native American tradition. Each baby displays an emotion which is labeled at the bottom of each page with one word. Under each word is a line for the parent (or other adult presenting the book to the baby) to write the word in their own language.
I think this was an amazing book even though it’s only 7 pages long. Not only do you get the joy of darling babies but the cradle boards are so beautiful. It’s a glimpse int
Madalyn Bitner
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think this book does a great job at showing diversity. While reading, we learn how different tribes of Native Americans carry their infants. This book includes several picture of infants in their cradleboards. I think it is extremely important to education children about different cultures and the way they do things. I would definitely recommend this book to families with young children, and even educators of young students.
Alecia
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had to rate this book because my 2 year old LOVES it. We read bedtime stories every day, and she always looks for this one right away. The photos are so sweet, and she likes trying to imitate all the different emotions and faces. I love the cultural component and that there is additional information in the back about the Native American tribes and the different styles of cradle boards for each one.
Corinne Wilson
Different methods of using cradleboards, great facial expressions representing emotions. Babies and toddlers love looking at it
Meredith
In my neverending search for books with photos of babies/children not purely of English descent, I discovered Cradle Me. This book is darling. It features babies from 18 different American Indian tribes, which are named on pages 11 and 12, in traditional cradleboards. The cute little girl on page 2 also makes an appearance in Global Babies.

A single word below each photo describes what the baby is doing (smiling, frowning, peeking, touching, crying, yawning, thinking, looking, sleepy, sleeping) a
Heather Pearson
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indigenous
I was immediately attracted to the bright colourful pages in this board book. Each page features a baby in a cradle board. This is the traditional method of many American Indian and other First Nations tribes for safely securing and transporting their babies. While each cradle board serves the same purpose of keeping a baby safe, that's where the similarities end. Each is shaped and decorated in a style of that particular tribe. At the back of the book, there are thumbnail pictures of each board ...more
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: board-book, netgalley
Cradle boards are used by Native American mothers to carry their infants, so the mother's arms can be used for different tasks during the day. Each cradle board is unique and each tribe create their own style of boards. Slier shares a glimpse at cradle boards from around the United States. Real photographs with Native American children are on each page with an action word. There is space below each verb, so book owners can write in their language the word written in English. The final page of th ...more
Wayne Walker
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Are Native American babies any different from other babies? While Native Americans may have different cultural traditions, a baby’s smile is the same the wide world over. One Native American practice that endures to this day is that of carrying babies safely and comfortably in cradle boards close to their mothers. Each cradle board is personalized and varies from tribe to tribe in style and material used. This board book shows babies from different tribes in their unique cradle boards as they sm ...more
Carol
May 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Cradle Me by Debby Slier is an adorable new board book. Each page shows a precious Native American infant in a cradle board. The sweet babies are showing a wide range of expressions and actions as they patiently wait. I love seeing the variety of beautiful craftsmanship in each individual cradle board. No matter their ethnicity all small babies will enjoy seeing these little faces peeking out of the book at them.
Julie Barrett
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Cradle Me by Debby Slier
Native American families have a way of carrying their infants and this
book shows the different tribes and how they carry them to keep them
close to the mothers body and keep the baby happy.
The cradle board is blessed prior to placing the baby in it.
Each board is personalized for each tribe.
Elizabeth
Baby faces :)

(I also appreciate that at the end of the book, the names of each tribe represented are listed -- and doing so next to miniatures of the cradleboard pictures one has just seen is a nice, effective, touch.)
Shayne Cope
This book would be great for babies to look at pictures of other babies. It also exposes them to a different culture at a young age.
Danielle
Fantastic!
Charlene
Aug 09, 2015
Rachael
Jun 11, 2014
Jessica
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the universal appeal of this book and the identification of different American Indian groups at the end. Fantastic!
Melissa McAlvey
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: board-books, kids
Hazel loves pretty much any book with photos of babies, but I like this one because it gives me something to talk to Norah about too since it shows another culture.
Daisy