Start by marking “Get the Scoop on Animal Poop” as Want to Read:
Get the Scoop on Animal Poop

Get the Scoop on Animal Poop

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Poop gets a bad rap, but it's really very cool and useful. Animals use poop in many different ways: to trick predators and prey, send messages, feed themselves and their babies, build homes, mark their territories, and more. Young readers will discover why rabbits, hamsters, pigs and gorillas eat their own feces (gross!), why some ground-nesting birds circle their eggs wit ...more
Published February 1st 2012 by Charlesbridge

To ask other readers questions about Get the Scoop on Animal Poop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get the Scoop on Animal Poop

Victoria
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was surprisingly very interesting and not as childish as I expected.
Steven Lemmons
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow
Get the Scoop on Animal Poop is an informational book that was very interesting, entertaining, and funny. I really enjoyed reading and laughing about the wonders, interesting facts, and funny jokes about animal dung. Along with the humor, the text was very informative. The book presented information ranging from how animal poop can help people and other animals to the difference between different animal's poops.

Personally, I believe that children would love this book. If I were to use this book
Jim Erekson
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
So I understand the lure of the pun with a book like this, but there are seriously four other books with almost exactly this same title. The gross topics are certainly popular, and this book rides that wave.

The facts in this book are pretty interesting, though. I thought her approach to scatology was very thorough, and browsable. In fact, this isn't really a book about poop at all--it's a complete survey of animals using poop as the unifying topic. Just as another science book might focus on ha
pati
Well, what can I say? This was not a by-my-choice reading, however, it was an interesting one. I learned more about animal defecation than I ever wanted to know and I can see why the topic will be appealing to kids. I can say wholeheartedly that I will not pursue follow-up reading.
Edward Sullivan
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Entertaining, informative, and full of shit!
Geena Gurman
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Title: Get the Scoop on Animal Poop!
Author: Dawn Cusick
Illustrator:
Genre: non-fiction photographic essay
Theme(s): Environment, animal biology
Opening line/sentence: “You have a very important decision to make. Really. No kidding.”
Brief Book Summary: (*I apologize for making you read about this book*) This photographic essay is about different animal poop. It is quite graphic with real pictures of these animals and insects and their ‘droppings.’ Although the book is a little graphic, it is full o
Marie
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall, a pretty good (and definitely en-grossing, ha ha ha) Juv nonfiction read. ;) The title might be pretty off-putting to a lot of grown ups, but I know that this book is checked out over and over again by boys roughly elementary-aged! I didn't find it overly gross, and I did learn quite a bit. Not too bad, but it had to lose a star for it's lack of actual research potential.

(I checked this book out of my library to learn more about the backlist of this author, after I was asked to provid
Two BookWorms Blog
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overall, I enjoyed this book far more than I ever expected, and I have a feeling that young readers will be even more entertained. One thing is for sure: kopi luwak may be the most expensive coffee in the world, but I am never drinking it!

For the full review: https://twobookwormsblog.wordpress.co...
Heydi Smith
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-non-fic
I found this book very fascinating. Thank you Cusick for writing it.

I have a secret desire to do a library display about all things that come out of our bodies. Don't know if it will ever happen but this book will be on it.
Charlotte
Jul 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
My kids love talking about poop. So of course this book was perfect for them. It's a non-fiction look at animal feces and how it fits into the ecosystem. What more could you ask for? Both my 1st grader and 4th grader were engrossed. I actually learned some things I didn't know, too. Fun fact: birds have only one hole - poop and pee come out together. That white stuff on your car isn't bird poop but uric acid. Bees "hold it" all winter until they can emerge from their hives in the spring. Who kne ...more
Amy Walters
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ch-02-nsta
This book has a lot of interesting facts about scat. I would use this book obviously for a science lesson, I wouldn't go any younger than third grade though, even then I would only read it aloud to my third graders. The author does a great job delivering information on poop, and I think the listeners would keep their attention on this book, and have a lot of interesting questions because of it. I am not going to be a science teacher, so I don't think I would buy it for my personal book collectio ...more
Tina Mcconkie
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ed-689
This science book is full of interesting facts about poop! What kid would not love this book? The illustrations are all bright photographs. I found the simple text full of easily explained science facts.The author supplied a list of definitions at the beginning of the book. Each page has headings and sub-headings breaking the text up into easy to read chunks. I found the information in the book fascinating.
Jessica Bennett
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. I thought it was a funny but informative way to talk about poop. It covered a lot more animals that I thought that it would. It also provided a lot of pictures which I thought was helpful and I really liked. I actually didn't get bored reading this even though it was longer than I had wanted it to be.
Rachael
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Some may think this is a disgusting book, but I thought it was rather fascinating! This book is full of fun and interesting facts. Even though it's about animal feces, students can learn so much about the way animals survive by reading this book. I could totally see myself using this book in my classroom. It would provide a good comical experience and at the same time be educational.
Rakisha
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Disgusting, nasty, icky, and absolutely packed with information. Gross out and educate your favorite reluctant tween and teen readers with this book! I'm breaking this book out at my next middle grade class visit!
Chuck
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ch-02-nsta
Who would have thought that poop could be a book one day. There are many good facts in this book and I feel that even at my age I learned something from this book. Great message and once you read this you will understand poop just a little more then you did before.
Debbie DeKoeyer
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Interesting, informative and has great pictures.
Danielle Hammelef
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining book with tons of information and great photos. The author made nonfiction fun to read.
Anonymous
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting book on animals and their feces, even for me.

On my son's summer reading list. Good for ages 9 and up.
Erin
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
fun!
Linda
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I learned a lot and found the book very interesting - I can't wait to share it with my students.
Brenda Kahn
I'm glad I never had any desire to drink fancy coffee. Fun facts that occasionally bemuse along with full-color photographs of a variety of poop and their animals.
Janet
Jackie Mcdonald
May 14, 2012
Lori
Dec 05, 2013
Dawn Cusick is blessed with many talents. She combined her writing and artistic skills and spent nearly twenty years working an in-house author and editor for a craft book publisher, producing titles such as Tabletop Fountains, The Michaels' Book of Arts and Crafts, and multiple editions of Quilt National. Her fascination with science and nature has now led her to create children's science books. ...more
More about Dawn Cusick...