Start by marking “Brazen Angel” as Want to Read:
Brazen Angel

Brazen Angel (Brazen #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  611 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Giles Corliss, Lord of Trahern, races through the streets after the sapphire-eyed Brazen Angel, determined to catch London's most audacious thief. Unknown to the lord, the masked mistress leads a double life as the beautiful, fragile Lady Sophia d'Artiers...Giles' intended.
ebook
Published (first published July 7th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Brazen Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brazen Angel

Books&Friends
Both Giles and Sophia are spies and in this story often cross the channel between England and France during the French Revolution. Well lets say, given the difficulties of traveling at that time,made this part of the story highly unrealistic. Basically the revolution is wallpaper to this character driven book. The true gritty details of that time were glossed over and the language was modernistic. Probably not for those who like authentic historical novels.
BUT when the author offered occasional
Manvir
Lady Sophia d'Artiers disguised as the Brazen Angel seduces and steals from wealthy nobles. The Marquess of Trahern, Giles Corliss, is determined to find out the true identity of this brazen thief. (Honestly I feel that sums up the plot and everything else was just padding)

It started off good but I found this book to be kinda slow and boring. I didn't like any of the characters much. Didn't see any real passion let alone love between Sophia and Giles. The 'larger' story about the french revoluti
Barbara
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story set in the French Revolution era when Fouche and Rospierre were in power. Sophia is from an aristocratic family who are going to Madame Guillotine any day. Giles is a British agent seeking to find out who betrayed another agent, Webb. Little does he know that his betrothed (arranged by his father before his death) is Sophia. Meanwhile she is stealing from English aristocrats to raise enough money to free her family. It is a dagerous path for her-a long ago lover complicates everythin ...more
Lynne Tull
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: regency-romance
A trilogy of suspense...Brazen Angel was a little too brazen for me. This story takes place during the French Revolution and involves a lot of daring rescues. Since this is a 'Romance' novel, I knew all would end well. It was a complete fantasy. I could never convince myself that the heroine could have been so 'brazen' during that time period of history. Hoping for something better in the next book "Brazen Heiress"...which takes place in Russia during the reign of Catherine the Great. hmmmm?
 ☆Ruth☆
I keep picking up these romances, in the hope of finding an author that comes somewhere close to Georgette Heyer... I'll just have to continue trying. I managed to get a quarter of the way through this before relegating it to the discard pile; but perhaps if you're fond of bodice rippers this book might be to your taste.
Rox
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have huge expectations about this book since it was widely praised for Boyle's debut novel. However, the drama surrounding their romance fell short and repetitive like it's trying to put some real historical facts instead of "wallpaper history" but in the process, the added conflicts didn't blend well with the romance.
Maggie Hesseling
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I love a good spy novel. With lots of intrigue and terror. In probably one of the scariest moments of French history, this novel uses the back drop to show how fleeting life is, and how important love is in these circumstances. The Brazen Angel, though a thief, becomes heroic- a robin hood figure, which creates a tempting and diverting read. Each page brings a new smile.
Doreen
This book carries you along. After you've finished it, you might think that there are one or two flaws in the plot; nevertheless, and in spite of sometimes getting a bit cross with the heroine for never confiding in the hero, it's a good read, and I always make extra allowances for first published books by an author I like.
Ladyvixen
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
J'ai trouvé cette histoire superbement bien écrite et émouvante.
Michelle Louise
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful characters and page turning plot

This is not your mother's regency romance. Set during the height of the Terror of the French Revolution the story is technically a Regency by date but not in tone. Instead of Beau Brummell there's Robespierre. Walks in the park are replaced with exciting nighttime chases.

It was the cat and mouse aspect that drew me in, but it was the characters that made me stay. Sophia is a refreshing heroine. High spirited, intelligent, and sensual. She is no retiring
Lori
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually read this book a couple of years ago when I picked up this book at the bookstore. Once I read this one I was hooked and read every book Elizabeth Boyle had published that was available! Lady Sophia D'Artiers is living a double like, unknown to the Ton or her admirers. Her persona during the day, a weak and sickly woman. But at night, she was a seductress and unknown to her victims! That was all to change once she met her betrothed, Giles Corliss, Marquess of Trahern, Follow this adven ...more
Zena
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely delightful story of love and loving that takes the reader right into the heart of the French Revolution and gives you an insight as to what could possibly have occurred.
The two main characters play a wonderful cat and mouse game with each other and it has been written in a way that keeps you guessing from scene to scene.
Full of surprises, twists and turns, good wit and a page turner of note.
I loved and totally enjoyed this book.
Louiseann Walter
AMAZING and AMUSING!

This was a FABULOUS historical book. How the agents were fooled by a mere woman and the tales of French Revolution intertwined with love and arranged has were astounding! I m looking forward to more of Brazen tales.
Danielle Carpenter
An amazing adventure

This book is intriguing and the lady is brazen. There is nothing Sophia won't do for those she loves. Giles Trahern must realize this if he is ever to capture the "brazen angel". This story will hold you till the very end.
Anita Rohn
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Liked

Suspenseful humorous and some historical data tossed into the mix. Strong willed characters who have a hidden past and set out to keep secrets. But find each other passionate and caring.
Lucinda Bean
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely LOVED IT....it was everything all wrapped into one, mystery, suspense, true love AND YUMMY SEX SCENES!!
Dona
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!!

The twists and turns kept me turning the pages well past midnight. I kept telling myself, one more chapter,then one more...
Judith Jones
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hated to put this book down to do anything else. It kept me hooked from the start to finish I will probably do a reread on this one in the future. So Good
Caroline
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another established author who escaped my notice until I read two or three starred reviews in Publishers Weekly. I decided to start with her debut novel, published nearly 15 years ago.

The awards Brazen Angel garnered were well deserved. An intricately crafted and carefully paced romantic adventure set against the background of the French Revolution. A talented government agent is pitted against a high-class female thief known as the Brazen Angel, who preys on wealthy aristocrats at masked ba
Tory Michaels
Being an Elizabeth Boyle fan, I dove into this book with a great deal enthusiasm, though I did know it was her first (I learned about it through her newsletter). It was a bit tame, though I have to say I loved it being set during the French Revolution, rather than the more traditional Regency period. The characters were great and I have to say I'm looking forward to reading the second book, with Sophia's sister Lily and Webb (both minor characters from Brazen Angel).
Cherie
Dec 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book
This is an exciting story. Too much for me. I don't tend to like the French Revolution as it was too violent so the suspense was more than I bargained for. That being said, it was a good story and I liked the back and forth between Giles and Sophia. Once he knew exactly who she was the tone changed as he became even more possessive and protective.

I would love to read Webb's story which is next but will pass.
Faraworld
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this novel. It was fun to read and kind of sad at the same time because it showed the dark side of the French Revolution or any revolution if you ask me. My main objection is that I hated how the hero fell in love with girl so fast, just because she outsmarted him and they slept together; we need more conversations .. I liked how idea of this novel was new! Overall nice novel!
Lily Callahan
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I adore Elizabeth Boyle but this was not one of my favorites of hers. Liked the grit of the heroine trying to save her family from the French but the hero was irritatingly stubborn repeatedly. The rhythm of the story felt off occasionally, making it feel like an early work, but well worth reading to see a great author developing her chops.
Linda
hmm... I was really excited about this but felt disappointed by the end. I love seduction and secret identities and should've loved this -- it did start out strong -- but I felt like much of the excitement fizzled out by the end. too bad.
adoree
Feb 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Une belle régence avec de beaux héros. Une petite intrigue pas mal ficelée. Bref, un bon moment de lecture.
Gerri
Sep 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first book. But will eventually read the other.
Melissa Vasquez
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did not get disappointed. Loved the story. Elizabeth Boyle knows how to hook a reader and keep them hooked.
Valeri29 McConnell
I liked this one better than the second one. Still, it wasn't my favorite romance novel ever. Once the story moved to Revolutionary France, I lost a lot of interest.
Leslie
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read in a good while. I totally loved the characters. I look forward to reading the other two in this trilogy.
Stacey Howell
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!
  • Master of My Dreams (Heroes of the Sea, #1)
  • Unladylike Pursuits
  • Slightly Wicked / Slightly Scandalous (Bedwyn Saga #2-3)
  • A Lady of Expectations and Other Stories
  • Dance of Seduction (Swanlea Spinsters, #4)
  • The Lily And The Sword (Medieval, #1)
  • A Midsummer's Magic
  • Good Work: When Excellence and Ethics Meet
  • Desire Never Dies (Lady Spies, #2)
  • The Devil to Pay (MacLachlan Family, #1)
  • When We Meet Again (Effingtons, #10)
  • East Of Forever (Dangerous Heroes, #2)
  • His Reluctant Lady (Marriage by Scandal, #3)
  • Shadow Dance
  • Made for Mischief
  • Scandalous Brides (Four Bestselling Full-Length Regency Novels)
19842
Elizabeth Boyle was an antipiracy paralegal for Microsoft before settling down to write full-time. Her first novel, Brazen Angel, which won Dell's Diamond Debut Award in 1996, also won the Romance Writers of America's RITA Award for Best First Book, and was a finalist for Best Long Historical Romance. She lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington. She is also the author of Brazen Heiress.
More about Elizabeth Boyle...

Brazen (3 books)
  • Brazen Heiress (Brazen, #2)
  • Brazen Temptress (Brazen, #3)