Start by marking “Safeword Matte (Safeword, #2)” as Want to Read:
Safeword Matte (Safeword, #2)

Safeword Matte

(Safeword #5)

Matte, pronounced mah-tay, is the word used in some forms of martial arts to stop a fight. It's the Japanese word for stop or wait.

Sam wants to find someone to submit to who she can't beat in a fight. S
Published March 2012 by Excessica

To ask other readers questions about Safeword Matte, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Safeword Matte

Annabel Joseph
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotica
I very much enjoyed this book. Loved the characters, loved the tone, respected the author's treatment of BDSM, particularly sadism and masochism. So often sadists are portrayed as icky and evil or damaged somehow, but Ethan is 100% wonderful AND sadistic. I like that this author shows us the two don't have to be mutually exclusive. The same with Sam, the heroine. She's strong and yet chooses to submit, without shame or doubt. I love that this book avoids pigeonholing and typecasting characters b ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
The Romance Review

Have you ever read a story and have a specific song run through your head while reading it? In the latest installment from the talented Ms. Blevins, I had one song running through my head. How does that song by the Judybats go? Here are the lyrics in the song, which summarize this story for me so very well.

"Pain makes you beautiful
I give you what you want, the pain and the pleasure
No sorrow tied
Tied to my hurting you
We delight in every torture I put you through
How did we find this place
This sta
Monique
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt
Samantha is a kick ass martial arts expert at the top of her game and has the physical strength and intelligence to beat most men on the fight scene, she is also a high powered divorce attorney, battling daily in the dog eat dog world of the courtroom where she needs her mental strength to perform and out manoeuvre the opposing council.

In both cases she needs to defeat her opponent.

Sam has tried the dating game but was always left unsatisfied, wanting more. Realising that what her body craves is
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Really enjoyed it! I didn't care as much for the second Safeword book but the first one Safeword Rainbow by Candace Blevins was also great to me.

Pretty heavy pain (no sugar kink here!) but I found it believable. LOTS of negotiation and communication. It wasn't long but, by the end I really felt like they had earned their HEA and it felt real. Heavy Dom -- but caring and sensitive. This reinforced for me I am FAR more masochist than submissive. I just cannot get into orgasm denial and things like preventing speaking. But again I'
P.A. Lupton
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was ok

This was a short story and somewhat enjoyable, the problem I had with it is the lack of emotion. I love when a book can take me on an emotional rollercoaster, I understand it’s more difficult in a novella but I still need some emotion.

The heroine in this book is an attorney and her profession seems to affect her personal life. The couple negotiates everything, which I guess some people like because there is no misunderstanding. I didn’t, because it’s sucks the spontaneity and emotion out of ever
Heart5
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: r2r
Sam and Ethan are the focus of this novella. Sam is a divorce attorney, martial arts champion and submissive. She has taken herself out of the dating scene because she has been unable to find anyone physically able to top her, and she is unwilling to submit to someone that cannot physically take the choice away from her. Ethan is a 6’5”, 170 pound extreme fighter, business owner, and dominant sadist. Although physically attracted to Ethan, Sam avoids Ethan’s advances until she runs into him at k ...more
Michelle [Helen Geek]

Writer’s Voice = 3.5 Stars
Character Development = 3.5 Stars
Story Appreciation = 4 Stars
Worth the Chili = 1 Stars [$4.61 Amazon – $4.99 on B&N]

Okay, this is a short story. One of the reasons I gave it such a low score for price [worth the chili]. Seriously, about 70 pages and $5. I didn't realize until the darned thing ended. Very abruptly, I might add.

I did think the author had a good grasp of the whole safewo
Expresso
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it
3 stars

Maybe I'm not experienced enough in the BDSM world, but every encounter seemed practiced or scripted. Each encounter read like " now we will do this, now we will do that". Nothing really happened without extreme instruction. No flow or rhythm.....very textbook in my opinion.

3 stars for male character being well endowed. First book I've ever read with such detail....
Nicole
Apr 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2012/04/19/...

I was super excited to read this book. BDSM romance, LOVE IT! Mixed martial arts hero AND heroine, LOVE IT! However, the execution of this book wasn’t where I had hoped it would be, instead I found myself both loving and hating this book.

Sam is desperate to find someone who can dominate her. She is a world-class fighting champion, and stronger than most men. She wants someone who can prove to be stronger than her, can take he
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: March 2012
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 3, Safeword Series
Series Best Read In Order: Works well as a standalone
Steam Level: Scorching
Romanceaholic Pet Peeves: Public Nudity, Oversized Appendages

Sensitive readers should be aware that this book contains rape fantasy and intense
Aղցela W.
Spoiler Ahead
This is the second book in the "Safeword Series". Sam wants to submit to someone she can't beat in a fight. Sam is a sexual submissive with various fighting disciplines. Sam meets Ethan Levi when she runs into him backstage at a fight Sam is no longer interested vanilla dating after Tom the owner of the dojo that she goes to beats Ethan they invite him to their dojo as he is new in town Sam decides to ignore him after he gives her a ride and she tells him she is not interested. Sa
Vivian
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, erotica-contemp
If you get fighting and sex, then this is just delicious. Rough and caring with more than a little pain and then more caring--sweet. Too short. They matched too perfectly and things aligned so smoothly that I wanted to throw a monkeywrench to resolve the perfection of it.
Cam
A lot of pain involved (but nothing too disturbing) since he's a sadist and she's a masochist. Enjoyed that one fight scene they had where he subdues her, almost reminds me of the role play in Willing Victim. Very hot sex scenes.
Laurie
Jun 17, 2016 rated it liked it
When I decide to get out of my comfort zone, I reach for Candace Blevins Safeword series. I liked how this one explores the difficulties someone who is into BDSM would have dating and finding a partner. Still, the S/M part of this one raised my eyes a bit.
Katya
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotic-romance
Joletta
Samantha, or Sam (never Sammy), is a high powered attorney and one tough cookie. She has a huge problem. She's a submissive with a serious masochist streak. No, that's not the problem. The problem is that she's lethal with her flying feet and fists of fury. How is she supposed to submit when she knows that she can kick her Doms ass at any given moment? Enter Ethan. Six and a half foot, two something hundred pounds of wicked sadistic Dom. Aaaaaand there's the answer to her problem. As these two c ...more
t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog
Jul 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People curious about Sado/masochist relationships
Recommended to t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ by: Katya
Short story outlining the wants and needs of a Submissive/Masochist and what happens when she finally meets her destined Dom.

Description:

Matte, pronounced mah-tay, is the word used in some forms of martial arts to stop a fight. It’s the Japanese word for stop or wait. Sam (short for Samantha) has made a hobby out of learning the various fighting disciplines, but she also happens to be a sexual submissive. What better safeword than matte?

Sam wants to find someone to submit to who she can’t beat i
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a new sort of book for me. Not to say I haven't read BDSM before, but Safeword: Matte is a whole new world. No fun and games, this is series sadism, masochism. I learned a lot from this novel. It's not all about hurting or being hurt, it's about a different kind of pleasure. I felt very enlightened at the end of this story. I learned a lot about the BDSM scene afterwards.

The sex scenes (when they actually get around to it) are fantastic! Lost of description and detail. Not conservative
Kim D
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

POSSIBLE SPOILERS - PLEASE READ WITH CAUTION!!!

Sam (Samantha) is a lawyer, martial art expert and a submissive. Sam no longer dates since she can’t find somebody to really share her kink with, until she meets…..

Ethan, who owns a chain of moving truck companies, is a martial arts expert and a sadistic dom. SCORE!!

What I really liked about this story, is how Sam struggles with her need to be dominated – she needs to fight back and
Lisa
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bdsm-group-r2r
MMA meets BDSM

Meet Sam....tough as nails lawyer and MMA fighter to the public, submissive to those in the BDSM community. She's not had much luck dating--hard to find someone that sees what a strong personality she has during the day, but then give her the beating she desires at night. She's sworn off dating vanilla men until she catches the eye of Ethan at an MMA tournament. He's built with a ton of muscle but graceful just the same, and he really wants to get to know Sam.

She's told him know,
SandyL
I finally got a chance to read one of Candace Blevin's Safeword series books, and I have somewhat mixed feelings about this book. Samantha (Sam) is a attorney by day, martial arts practitioner and submissive by night. She has been looking for a Dom, but she can't respect or submit to anyone who she can whoop their butt in martial arts - and she's very good, so there aren't many options for her! And in comes Ethan Levi, new to town, owner of a moving company and mixed martial arts fighter, and sa ...more
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
Full Review: http://thetbrpile.weebly.com/1/post/2...

This needed a massive edit, some sentences made no sense and I didn’t have a clue as to what the author was trying to convey. Then there’s name dropping with no explanation as to who those people are. Tom and Zee are mentioned without any explanations or backgrounds. The scenes are bare, meaning no surrounding details and very choppy. There’s also a very rush feeling to every scene or maybe that’s because they’re no details, either way it’s no
Gem Larkspur
Candace Blevins never fails to provide a good read. I've read almost all the Rolling Thunder MC books and Chattanooga Supernaturals - I love a good suspense subplot with my steamy romance. Safeword Matte is a straight-up BDSM romance where all the drama comes from the evolving romance and the sizzling erotica. Ethan and Sam(Samantha) are adults in their 30s, comfortable with their kink and looking for something lasting. I loved the way they take time to communicate and negotiate, building to inc ...more
Sadey Quinn
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A well-written novella about a woman finding a partner who understands her need to sexually submit and receive pain.

The characters are nicely developed and I really appreciated the non-cliche aspect of the martial arts theme. This was a very nice idea and Ms Blevins clearly has an understanding of the sport that lent itself to engaging me deeply with the story.

This is a novella where things move very quickly! This was my only qualm with the book, really, but I enjoyed it none-the-less. That said
Cal
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants intense BDSM
Recommended to Cal by: Dee Wy
This story was intense. Repeat INTENSE. Hot. Sexy. Educational. Left me feeling exhausted and happy. BDSM between trained martial art professionals should be in a special category all by itself. A must read for all BDSM enthusiasts. It was for April cover challenge and I could not wait. I put it in my category 5 for intensity(highest).
Amber J.
This was an exciting and thrilling ride through submission and dominance! Not being a huge fan of TPE and sadism/masochism I found myself surprisingly intrigued and turned on by the (view spoiler) and normally that type of thing I can't wrap my head around. As I mentioned in my review of book 1, Candace is pushing my boundaries!!!
Lindsey Brooks
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I think everything I want to say about this book has already been said in the other four and five star reviews. I will say, if you think the phrase "emotional roller coaster" is just a cliche, read this story. It will change your mind.
Tee Cullen
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Sam a lot shes a strong and almost independent woman. Though for some reason she feels the need to be mastered. She meets Ethan and at first doesn't want to have anything to do with him but he finally wears her down and they go out. They decide to try scening and seem to fit well together. Here it gets confusing for me. The scenes are really good but then when it comes to punishment then again consequences that are torture worse than the punishment. The punishment isn't for weaklings. Oth ...more
Shari
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Samantha is champion fighter who keeps her body at the top of the game. A successful divorce attorney, she can’t let the local community find out she is a sexual submissive without losing her credibility. After dating fighters, she realizes she won’t find what she needs in the way of kink, bit still needs a partner who can fight her and win her submission.

Ethan is a cage fighter and most people equate that to him being not so smart. He doesn’t make a big deal that he owns his own business. Expan
Jaycee
Reviewed for "Books 'N Cozy Spots Book Reviews" www.Talon-ps.com

(This review encompasses Books 1-3 of the "Safeword: Matte" series)

What do you get when you cross a masochistic divorce attorney with a sadistic cage-fighting businessman? Sounds like either the beginning of a really bad joke, or a teaser to a really good book—or series of books. Fortunately, it’s the latter.

I have never combined multiple books to one review, but since I voraciously read one after the other, I figured I might as we
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Sodom and the Phoenix (Virtual Seduction, #2)
  • Cirque de Minuit (Cirque Masters, #1)
  • By My Side (Safe Word: Oasis, #2)
  • The One Worth Finding
  • Protégée (Freedom Bound, #1)
  • FrankenDom
  • The Dom on the Naughty List (Badass Brats, #1.5)
  • Moving On (Bondage Ranch, #3)
  • Sacred Secrets (Chronicles of Surrender, #1)
  • Undercover Submission (Graceful #3)
  • In the Zone
Candace Blevins has published more than forty books. She lives with her husband of 20 years and their two daughters. When not working or driving young teens all over the place, she can be found reading, writing, meditating, or swimming. The family’s beloved, goofy, retired racing greyhound is usually at her side as she writes, quietly keeping her company.

Candace writes Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Ro

Safeword (9 books)
  • Safeword Rainbow (Safeword, #1)
  • Safeword: Davenport (2nd Edition)
  • Safewords: Davenport and Chiffon
  • Safeword Quinacridone (Safeword, #5)
  • Safeword Matte: In Training (Safeword, #6)
  • No Safeword Matte: The Honeymoon (Safeword, #7)
  • No Safeword Matte: Happily Ever After (Safeword, #8)
  • Safeword Arabesque (Safeword, #9)