Start by marking “Fearless (Elemental, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Fearless (Elemental, #1.5)

Fearless

(Elemental #1.5)

Being a force of nature doesn't keep you safe.

Hunter Garrity is used to watching his back. The kids at school sense something different about him. And they're right.

Hunter has powers that have nothing to do with how hard he can throw a punch.

Maybe that's what Clare Kasten is picking up. She's shy, quiet, and intense, but she's sought him out. There's no telling what she
Published July 31st 2012 by K Teen (Kensington)

To ask other readers questions about Fearless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fearless

Start your review of Fearless (Elemental, #1.5)
Stacia (the 2010 club)
It would figure that the first time a girl wanted to talk to him, he'd knock her flat.

3.5 stars. Aww...it's wittle Hunter. You read that correct. I didn't do a typo there. I wrote "wittle" as in "want to pinch your cheeks because you're so adorable" Hunter. Even though I think this story took place right before he moved to the place he was living at during the book Storm, he seems so young and clueless in this previous life.

When did you get your confidence mojo, Hunter? I had no clu
Dana

This was an okay novella. I did however prefer the Elemental novella more. I've liked Hunter right from the beginning so this story didn't really change my opinion of him but for his critics,this book might make them soften towards him. Overall solid story but nothing special.
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Apr 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Kemmerer's Elemental Fans
3.5...Well-written, Not Much of Story

Hunter,a secondary character in Storm (Chris Merrick and Becca),stars in this wee bitty short (less than 50 pages). Basically, we get his backstory. Set before his father and uncle's deaths, Hunter learning what it means to be a fifth element. There are interactions with his father and uncle to provide some of his motivation in Chris Merrick's story. There's still some mystery to his character, and Spirit(Hunter's story) will most likely answer some questions
Brigid
Aug 02, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
While the events in this book take place before Storm Elementals 1, I recommend reading it after Storm. This is Hunter's story before he meets the Merricks, so it's full of spoilers if you haven't read Storm yet. :-) ...more
Jo

Fearless is told on Hunter's POV and the events are set before Storm.
It'll gave you a better understanding of what he was coming from and a glimpse of what he suffered and how he was raised.

Hunter was constantly bullied, an effect of his power has a fifth... but now, he could hold his own, he learned to fight back. But still, every single day he had to take new routes from school to home, try to avoid more confrontation.

To say he was lonely it was a bit of an understatement ...

It would figure
Emilie Emzbooksandco
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
I don't really understand the point of this book for now, but I guess everything is made for a reason! I'll see in the next ones!
Sarah (saz101)
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
A quick, riveting prequel to Brigid Kemmerer's action-packed Elemental series, FEARLESS will do nothing to sate fans hunger for more. It is, however, an unmissable addition, offering teasing hints of one of the series most enduring riddles: Hunter Garrity.

Throughout Storm and Spark, Hunter has proven himself a mystery: his actions and motivations are often hard to pin down, and he's a man of many secrets and questions, but no definite answers. If Fearless is a small peek at what readers can expe
Katy
Sep 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I don't know what I was expecting because I never really had feelings for Hunter one way or another. On one hand, he wasn't a particularly trustworthy and immediately likable guy because he was always reserved and mysterious where you just knew there was something he was hiding. On the other hand, I did sympathize with him because Becca was such a witch to him in book 1.

It was definitely an interesting insight to Hunter, especially since he was so in the shadows in the first book. You have a bet
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
This short little novella was a look into what Hunter's life was like right before his father was killed. He is 16 years old. We really get a look at the relationship between he and his father. Also, the bullying he suffers at school from a few of the older boys. Hunter has been taught by his father how to protect himself but he'll go to great lengths to avoid having to fight them. We also get a look at his first experience with a girl. He goes to school with Clare but he doesn't know her at all ...more
07meganf
Wait so fearless and spirit are all about hunter?????!!!!! WTF!!!! What has the world come to?! I HATE hunter! Chris is a wayyyyyyy better guy.
eleni
I can't help myself with these books! Even though they're not on my september tbr, they're the only ones I want to read!
Irina
It was interesting to see a less confident and mature Hunter, and it made me even more interested to find out what the hell the deal is with him.
His first time socialising (ha) with a girl was admittedly unpleasant, but I wished for something darker. I'm a little bit disappointed, tbh, but I can't say it was unexpected. *sigh*

BK's writing does feel smoother though; the setting and feel of a scene are conveyed with less words and more precision - good step ahead. Just ramp the dark-and-twisted up
Michelle
Mar 18, 2014 rated it liked it
It's been a while since I last visited this world, only really having read the first novella and story. I wanted to pick this up to job my memory in the hopes I get to the next book soon.
Fearless was a quick read but I did like getting a glimpse into Hunter's life before we see him in Storm. Seeing how his home life is was not something I expected, and part of me did feel sorry for what he Dad was telling him. I liked seeing the relationship develop between him and Clare, and I would like to see
Nadia
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Too bad it's only a short story, because this had so much potential. I wish Kemmerer turned this into a full novel. Guess I'll have to wait for book #3 to see how will Hunter's story work out, but basing on Fearless, it sounds promising.
Brenna
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved getting this glimpse of Hunter before the events of Storm. I definitely feel like I understand him better, even if this was less than 50 pages...

Can't wait to read more!
Μαρία Γεωργοπούλου
“Fearless” is a novella by Brigid Kemmerer and it’s Hunter’s story before we get to know him in “Storm”. Basically, it’s a “how Hunter became the Hunter we know” story.

It’s too short even for a novella and I really wanted to know more about him before the tragic events in his life. He is a Fifth and that means that he is connected with all the five elements and at the same time he is connected with everybody around him.

He is very different back them. Definitely more shy and awkward around girl
Navdha
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wasn't expecting to like Hunter's story as much as I did.

This short novella was a great insight on why Hunter acted the way he did in Storm. I thought he was a decent guy in the book but after reading his side of story, I think he's great. His father and Uncle both played a very important role in his life and had taught him everything he needed to know about being an Elemental, defending himself and making important decisions. I wouldn't say that his Dad and Uncle were always right but they h
Amber J.
This was the perfect follow-up to Storm...and I'm not just saying that because Hunter is my favorite character in the series. I think I loved this novella more than Elemental.

We get to see who Hunter was before he came to Merrick-ville lol, and we learn how and why he became the man he is now.

We also get to meet Hunter's father and uncle. They are no longer figures in Hunter's recollections - they have form and (for better or worse) substance. Despite his somewhat questionable parenting methods,
Veronica Morfi
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fearless is the background story of Hunter, before he moved and before his life went south. Or at least before the accident that killed his father and uncle, cause let me tell you his life was far from perfect. His house was like a military base, every little thing that Hunter did was for training, even things that didn't seem like it. And I understand that his father probably only wanted to make him strong so he can protect himself and get him ready for being a Guide, but it was a little bit to ...more
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
I really liked being in Hunter's head. This novella did its job and gave me insight into his character, and I really appreciated getting to hear from him about his dad and his uncle.
I was curious about Clare and her interest in the guns, but that did lead to a deliciously hilarious conversation about rifles raiding the refrigerator in the middle of the night.
Again though, it felt like right as I was REALLY getting into the story, it stopped. And again, yes I know what happens with Hunter, b
Isabella
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Actual rating: 2.8 stars

Okay so, this novella was a tad better than the first one, Elemental. It's told from Hunter's POV and the days leading up to everything that's explained in Storm, the first actual book in this series. It was interesting to see Hunter and his interactions at school and at home; made me understand him better and realize the why's behind his actions.

Good novella, interesting addition to the Elementals series!

description
Camila, the opinionated Catruler
This is one entertaining short-story about Hunter's last days of "normal", before the accident and the events in Storm. It was so weird to read about such a pacific, introverted Hunter. But I liked to see how he became the hot, awesome guy I loved in the first Elemental book. Really looking forward to his book.
Braiden
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I’ve learnt something: to tread with caution because girls can use me. Thanks Brigid for that lesson. I think I’ve learnt it already though with knowing about twenty-something-year-olds smooching up to fifty-year-old single men who have pockets deep with money.
Kristine Hansen
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ouch! What a lesson for Hunter to learn. I like these stories because they help me to understand the characters so much better. I find that reading this makes me feel more for Hunter - the one character that was always difficult for me to like. I kind of wish I could have more about him now. *sigh*
Karlé
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow okay. So I'm really eating this series up. This novella is about Hunter's past and it will totally give you a new perspective about Hunter :)
Trisha
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Is it wrong that I know him better now but still don't like him? and don't forgive him??

I can't wait to read more of this series!
♡Julalicious Book Paradise♡
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks-i-own
rating: 3.75/5

review to come.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
More meat to it than the prior Elemental novella. This one's set before Storm, further elaborating on Hunter's back story. He has his first little romance, and it doesn't end well. Mostly, I'm bothered by the way his dad and uncle encourage him to just use women. Yes, it's tied to their powers, but it's still really gross, especially since this isn't a rare male attitude even without powers.
Jessica
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
Hunter is my fave. He's my Merrick despite not being one and I will never get over him.
Jen
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable look at Hunter's life before Storm, but sadly I had already learned most of what happened in this from Spirit, which I am in the middle of listening to. It does give a pretty good picture of what his father was like, though, and how Hunter acts because of that.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers, #1)
  • Endless (The Violet Eden Chapters, #4)
  • Code of Honor (Cipher Security #2)
  • Different (Tainted Elements, #1)
  • Through a Dark Glass (Dark Glass #1)
  • Unbreakable (Unraveling, #2)
  • Moment of Truth (Love, Life, and the List, #3)
  • First Frost (Mythos Academy, #0.5)
  • A Royal Guide to Monster Slaying
  • Hopcross Jilly #1-6 (Mercy Thompson)
  • Eternal Beast (Mark of the Vampire, #4)
  • 30-Second Mythology: The 50 Most Important Greek and Roman Myths, Monsters, Heroes and Gods, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • Hellworld
  • Glimmer
  • To Sir Phillip, With Love: The 2nd Epilogue (Bridgertons, #5.5)
  • The Unseemly Education of Anne Merchant (V, #1)
  • Dreamers Often Lie
  • The Rosemary Spell
Brigid Kemmerer is the New York Times bestselling author of dark and alluring Young Adult novels like A Curse So Dark and Lonely, More Than We Can Tell, and Letters to the Lost (Bloomsbury), as well as paranormal YA stories like The Elemental Series and Thicker Than Water (Kensington). A full time writer, Brigid lives in the Baltimore area with her husband, her boys, her dog, and her cat. When she ...more

Elemental (5 books)
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Spark (Elemental, #2)
  • Spirit (Elemental, #3)
  • Secret (Elemental, #4)
  • Sacrifice (Elemental, #5)