Start by marking “Unspoken Abandonment: Sometimes the hardest part of going to war is coming home” as Want to Read:
Unspoken Abandonment: Sometimes the hardest part of going to war is coming home

Unspoken Abandonment: Sometimes the hardest part of going to war is coming home

Prepare to walk more than a mile in one soldier's boots as you see exactly what it's like to go to war and face the struggles of coming home. This is as real as it's going to get...

Unspoken Abandonment is the story of one man's struggle to return home from the war in Afghanistan, only to find the person he once was may never be the same. Bryan Wood is a military veteran
Published February 1st 2012 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Unspoken Abandonment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unspoken Abandonment

Start your review of Unspoken Abandonment: Sometimes the hardest part of going to war is coming home
Rhonda
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Rhonda by: Jillian Stein

"I didn’t even realize, but I was quickly going to see, that the person I was before this all started had somehow changed. The way I saw the world was gone, and I saw things, almost everything, in an entirely different way."- Bryan A. Wood

Based on a true story.

First of all, I want to give a huge “thank you” to Bryan Wood, and every American soldier for the job they do, and the job they have done. I am extremely humbled by all that you do, and endure for
Jillian Stein
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Let me start out by saying this is so not my typical reading genre….

That being said, I want to urge you all to read this book no matter what you normally read.

I am not the same person I was before I started this book. I sat down at 3:00 and was finished by 9 that same day. I couldn’t put this book down. Bryan’s journal entries are unforgettable and in some cases, define all that is unimaginable in the world most of us live in. By page 23, I was crying. I was upset not only for the scenarios
Linda
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, free
After binge reading a romance series, I was due for a genre change.
Even I kind of surprised myself with this pick, since it is so different from my usual reads.

This book is a personal account of a soldier who is stationed in Kabul, Afghanistan in 2003. It includes actual journal entries from his time there- which were absolutely astounding. The book continues with the author's account of his time back home.

This book was absolutely jaw-dropping. From the journal entries detailing life in
Joseph
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all not afraid to get out of their comfort zone
Best book I've read about Afghanistan and the best book I've read in a while ... will expand this review in a day or two. Can't remember the last time I couldn't put a book down, err turn off my Kindle. Need to digest this book a bit more before I give it the review it deserves.

(slept on it overnight, review follows)

“The tour continued on … with nothing being seen except for the magnitude of extreme poverty. That is when we stumbled upon a woman being beaten by two men. That woman, wearing a
Aqsa (On Hiatus)
Feb 18, 2019 marked it as tbr-soon
Read Ana's review that almost made me cry:
Natasha
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is the most difficulty I’ve ever had to write a review. This book was amazing and deserves a review and I’ve thought about what I want to write all day long, but I’m still at a loss for words. Why? I have never read anything this touching and this personal. How do I do this book justice, keep my review objective and keep all my opinions about the war and some of the 'characters' aside?

Trust me, I got emotional and very worked up about a lot of stuff in this book, but I'm not going to talk
GraceMyBookSnack
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to GraceMyBookSnack by: Jillian Stein
A must-read memoir!

Out of curiosity and upon a friend's recommendation, I started reading Unspoken Abandonment even though it's not my usual genre. From beginning to end, I was captivated by Mr. Wood's journey while serving in Afghanistan, and then trying to live and cope after returning home. He writes with an incredible flair of compassion and raw honesty as he describes horrific and shocking events in his journal entries, events that will be forever ingrained in my mind.

After reading this, I
Tiffany Tabor
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
**I can still hear his words as if they were spoken just yesterday, “If you try to do only for yourself, you’ll only get so far in life. If you reach out to touch other people, you can fix your own soul…”** Charles to Bryan

Unspoken Abandonment by Bryan A. Wood had come highly recommended to me by my dear friend, Jillian. It was literally a “stop-what-you-are-reading-and-read-this-book-right-now” kind of recommendation. She told me it was definitely not our normal genre of PNR and
Radostina
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unspoken Abandonment tells a story so typical--a story that any soldier might have told--and yet so very personal and unique that by the end of the book I felt I've known author Bryan Wood forever. War has this way of depersonalizing its victims, both civilian and military; we are so used to hearing about it in terms of numbers and dry statistics that we often fail to realize how many anonymous lives have been shattered to serve purposes that at best can be called unclear.

Bryan Wood's writing is
Ramona
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Unspoken Abandonment is one of those books that "love the book" is not the appropriate term to use. I am so glad I read this book, and feel it's a must read for family & friends of anyone who has been deployed in the military and for returning soldiers who knows or thinks they may have PTSD & anyone who cares about them. PTSD can be prevalent in soldiers who have served & we as a nation need to be more aware of its symptoms & not only be able to, but willing to show our support ...more
Wendy
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was an incredible book. I am still thinking about it. What courage Bryan Woods has shown by writing this book. I know that he has helped many people understand what it is like to go to war then have to come home and adjust. That's all I can say is that he is an amazing and incredible man. Thank you Bryan even though thank you doesn't seem to be nearly enough. I am recommending this book to everyone that I know.
Elizabeth (Stuffed Shelves)
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What is the book about?

Bryan Wood deploys to Eastern Afghanistan not knowing what to expect or what the final outcome may be. A personal journal becomes his companion as he lives every day in the midst of war. As you read his journal you will be taken through his story, see the things he saw, and feel the things he felt. A truly moving book that will open your eyes to the conflict in Afghanistan.

You'll be taken back to understand the extreme effects war has on a person on their recovery as he
Courtney
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have never had a harder time writing a review than I did with this book. And it's not because the book was bad - it was FAR from it. I just can't seem to find any words to give this book justice.

Bryan gives us a look inside what it was like to be in Eastern Afghanistan. We learn about what days were like for him and horrible things that he had to witness. It is a truly compelling read and visualzing everything that he went through there.

"Seeing things like this on television or movies is
Lisa Skabrat
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Bryan Wood’s vulnerability in Unspoken Abandonment is a gift to all of us. He not only shares his experiences in the war zone of Afghanistan, but he allows us to hear his heart speak about what he witnessed. This book should be required reading in every high school in America. From the grass-roots up we need to try to understand the sacrifices our soldiers make for our freedoms so we will not only welcome them home but honor them for all they have done.

In addition, Unspoken Abandonment is a
Lauren Mayet
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
First off, I have to tell you that I usually don't read books on this subject, but I have to say that I am sure glad I did. This book wasn't about being a Democrat or Republican or any other political party. I wasn't about whether you are for or against the war either. This is story of one man's journey to get back to "normal," whatever normal may be. They review may go over many edits over the next few days as what I read sinks in and I have more time to think about what I actually read.

I am
Gerry
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A book that covers the individual US Army Soldier's existence in a place where it would seem that "time forgot" and maybe more likely the world simply ignored. In my view this book also in many ways covers the existence of any service member regardless of Branch, Mr. Wood could have been a Marine, Navy Seal, Air Force Pararescue Member or any not referenced within. Mr. Wood reached within the depths of his soul to survive this onslaught - he represents (to me) all of us who have ever wanted to ...more
Chantelle
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Spellbinding.

Raw and real. Bryan's journal from his deployment in Afghanistan in 2003 is by turns heartbreaking and heartwarming. His writing made me feel as if I was there alongside him, experiencing what he experienced. I cried for some of the Afghani people when he described their situations. I want to go back in time and send him a care package with a backpack. Coming home was no sweet homecoming for Bryan either - and that part was just as hard to read.

Not only was this a gripping
Yury Sanchez
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bryan-wood
Loved this book his story had you up and down with him. Even though i was not there with Bryan but i can feel the fear, sadness and so much anger and at the end his happiness. I recommend this book to everyone you will love his book. :)
Sarah R
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've read a lot of military memoirs over the last decade, and quite a few about Iraq and Afghanistan. It's one of my favorite book genres. This could sound rather odd considering my husband is a U.S. soldier, but I'm one of the (probably minority) military wives who would rather know what happens over there than not. You can't really prepare for something you know nothing about. With that said, I've had this book on my to-read shelf for awhile now, after running into the author here on ...more
Will Mego
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
As I'll explain, this could be a five star book...

Hard to quantify at times, this is the memoir of its author, a combat veteran of Afghanistan. Equally hard to qualify, it's compelling, at turns gripping, and speaks a truth which (bizarrely enough) few other contemporary war records are bothering to relate. It's hard to quantify because it doesn't really end up being a memoir, nor a war record, an inspirational book, or really anything specific. It begins quite strongly, using flashback and
Ginger Myrick
This book is extraordinary. Unspoken Abandonment is a brutally honest account of a young soldier's time in Afghanistan. It is well-written with a flowing and facile prose. There is surprisingly little editing needed, which is astounding for the fact that it is basically a journal penned during a time of extreme duress. This can only be attributed to the author's superior writing skills and ability to relate information most important to his readers.

My son did two tours in Iraq, and until I read
David Thompson
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A few notes on "Unspoken Abandonment" by Bryan Wood.

Bottom line: Wood takes a brief journal "journey" and is able to comprehensively expand the story to let readers see how that initial experience in Afghanistan in 2003 impacted his life.

Many OIF and OEF veterans kept a regular written account of their experiences--myself included. However, Wood is able to bring that simple writing experience into relevance several years later as he attempts to cope with the aftermath of his exposure to combat
Christina White
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Unspoken Abandonment is the story of a young man that went to war, witnessed unimaginable tragedy, and then suffered for years with the horrible memories of it all. He found relief in writing and used it to help him get rid of the guilt he was caring around with him.

I found the journal entries to be very interesting and wanted more of them. Some of them had my jaw dropping to the floor and others had me furious. Reading about how he readjusted once he got back didn't grab my attention quite as
Scott Collins
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unspoken Abandonment is the story of a veteran and his struggle to readapt to civilian life after a tour in Afghanistan. Reading Mr. Wood's journal was heartbreaking as was the tale of his difficulties in dealing what what he'd seen overseas. It wasn't until he'd lost almost everything that he finally found a person who saw through his facade and called him out.

Mr. Wood eventually worked through his troubles and reassembled his life. I wish him continued success and pray that this book can help
Tonya V
Apr 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
While reading "Unspoken Abandonment" by Bryan A. Wood, I was blown away by the many injustices he witnessed and resulting experiences while serving in Afghanistan. Wood, gives the reader an inside glimpse of what life was like while serving over seas and his adjustment upon returning home. Reading his documented experiences really made me more aware of how we take so many things in life for granted.

I highly recommend this book for those who have spouses, family members and friends who have
Holly
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading, Unspoken Abandonment by Brian A. Wood. It's an amazing biography of a soldier, including his daily journal he wrote while serving in Afghanistan. Then his later struggle with PTSD. For me it was a complete eye opener to the horrors going on over there and what our brave soldiers are witnessing and even worse, the inhumanity they can to nothing about. I think every adult should read this.
Peggy
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
All I can say is thank you. Thank you for your service, thank you for sharing your story and giving others a glimpse of what our soldiers endure. There are many who may make it back alive, but I don't believe any come back uninjured. Bryan found a way not only to find healing, but to share it with others. I was deeply touched by this book.
Parreads
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed it-this is a very intense book. The author buys a black and white composition book before he is deployed to Afghanistan so that he can write about his experiences. This is a good book and you should read it so that you can attempt to understand what our servicemen and women go through in the field and in their homecoming experinces. I would read it again.
Lynette Barfield
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
I thought that the book was well written, his problems were probably typical of others returning from military duty, and i felt the passion in the narrative. My only problem was with the lack of conversation after the diary. Frankly, I just got bored. I think it is a good first attempt. Keep it up.
Lea
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and whilst i thought it skimmed over a lot.... it really made me think. A wonderful read and after all this man has been through he is allowed to say or not say what he wants.
I liked the fact that he kept his wife out of the book - showed a lot of respect
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Big Debt Crises
  • Empire of Cotton: A Global History
  • WHITE (Colours of Crime)
  • Murder Haven: Den of Thieves
  • Mystery : Three Novels
  • Life's Little Book of Survival Quotes
  • Love Lies: A True Story of Marriage and Murder in the Suburbs
  • Lynyrd Skynyrd: Remembering the Free Birds of Southern Rock
  • Grunge & Grace: The Grace Jackson Trilogy, Book 1
  • Boys, Booze, and Bathroom Floors: Forty-Six Tales about the Collision of Suicide Grief and Dating
  • Better Off Without Him
  • Surviving the Holidays Without You: Navigating Grief During Special Seasons
  • Father's Guide to Family Court: How I Represented Myself in Family Court - and WON!
  • Seven Patients
  • The Marriage Pact
  • Cigarettes and Butter
  • Black Sheep White Cop: Savannah EXPOsed
  • Someone's Daughter
Bryan A. Wood is the author of the newly released dramatic memoir Unspoken Abandonment (Free Sample). It is the story of Bryan's journey from combat operations in Eastern Afghanistan to adjusting to a life torn apart after war. This true story, which is one of hope and inspiration for anyone who has ever faced life's trials and tribulations, will touch your soul and change the way you look at life ...more
“For some life is incredibly easy, and for others, life is incredibly hard. Regardless of what side you fall on, you will certainly face challenges in your life. It's how you face and overcome these challenges that will ultimately define you as a person.” 19 likes
“Everyone thinks that being in a war is nothing but non-stop action and fighting. I thought that too before I came here. It is actually ninety percent boredom mixed with ten percent shitting your pants, and there is absolutely nothing in between.” 2 likes