Start by marking “Passenger (The Marbury Lens, #2)” as Want to Read:
Passenger (The Marbury Lens, #2)

Passenger

(The Marbury Lens #2)

Best friends Jack and Conner can't stay away from Marbury. It's partly because of their obsession with this alternate world and the unresolved war that still wages there. But it's also because forces in Marbury—including the darkest of the dark, who were not revealed in The Marbury Lens—are beckoning the boys back in order to save their friends . . . and themselves.

The boy
Published October 2nd 2012 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Passenger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Passenger

Jason
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, read-2012
5 Stars

"Roll. Tap. Tap."

For those of you that have read the first book in the series, The Marbury Lens by Andrew Smith, this one, Passenger, will take you on a journey, an endless exploration, of the mind, and of the world. And all the while our main protagonist Jack will be there, egging us on, messing with our mind, and pulling our strings… Fuck Jack!

Queue the narrator, pan out to see a ..land, and on this ..land, all of our returning heroes, Jack, Ben, Griffin, and Henry. Now you hear our h
Annie
Before reading: There's a sequel. Oh no. Oh no. Oh no. OH YEAH!!!!

During: Will this be as freaky as tML? I kind of want it to be, but I kind of don't.

After:
Let’s go back all the way to 2010 for a minute. Little freshman girl goes into the library, picks up a copy of The Marbury Lens, and reads it. It’s freaky and illogical and haunting. It’s wonderfully written with compelling characters. The whole reality of the story is up for interpretation.

It’s freaky.

So when I found out that it was going t
Chris
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I hated being forced into doing the "guy thing," but I couldn't let Frankie start off this new day by labeling me as some kind of enemy outsider in front of the other boys, either.

That's just how things were.

It meant there was going to be a fight, and neither one of us questioned or doubted the laws that dictated our nature.

-----

He didn't even swing back one time; didn't even try to defend himself against me, which made me feel even more disgusted by him. The fucker didn't even know how to act l
Alex
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Spoilers!!!!

Given how exciting the first book was I jumped immediately into the second and I was rewarded with another breath taking leap into the dark world of Marbury. Jack and his best friend Conner decide that the best thing to do is destroy the glasses that transport them to Marbury but really the shattering of the lens creates a crack between the parallel worlds. Jack and company flip back and forth between realities, each darker then the preceding one, until jack begins to realize that he
Boyanna
i wish thete was more kissing at the end!
Daniel Marks
Apr 29, 2012 marked it as to-read
So looking forward to this one!
Megan Peet
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
-- Before reading --

Holy CRAP.

If you've read my review of the first book, you'll know that I was extremely unsatisfied with the ending. AND NOW THERE'S GONNA BE A SEQUEL.

Andrew Smith, I love you.

Just...

description

-- After reading --

Well, as usual, I have no idea how to start.

This book was so different from the first one, and yet somehow exactly the same.

My thoughts are all really jumbled. Sorry. Anyway, I don't think I enjoyed this book quite as much as it's predecessor. Although I'm not even sure if
CATHERINE
Mar 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
I read the first one in the series and was interested enough to read the sequel. I really hope this is it. There were some interesting ideas here of parallel universes but it never really came to anything. Lots of detail about sweat, feeling sick, vomiting, peeing etc - which to be frank I really don't enjoy reading about. Jack again spent most of the story throwing up. I guess one of the positives is that you also start to feel ill and can almost smell the stench because it is described so well ...more
Lauren
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I am utterly speechless after finishing this book - a wonderful, mind boggling, seriously messed up, entertaining, awesome, epic sequel to The Marbury Lens. The list of adjectives could go on and on and on, but I don't think I could accurately sum up this novel by just making a list.

Reading this series has been so much more than just "reading" to me; I saw the plot happening in my head like a film strip and truly felt what the characters experienced, smelled, tasted...everything. This book
Lauren
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I sat down with Andrew Smith's newest on a dark and stormy night, the perfect setting for one of his twisted tales - and what a twisted tale it was! Jack (from "The Marbury Lens") is back and so is Marbury, in all it's bloody glory. But it's a different version of Marbury and Jack must fight his way through many "Inception"-like layers of reality, each more horrifying than the last, to find his way home - but will it be the same world he left? "Passenger" is gloriously dark, grim, and violent, a ...more
Niki Smith
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read2012
The ending I'd hoped for! I didn't think there was a chance.
Smash
Holy shitskas. Just reading the blurb makes my head hurt, but oh so good. SO EXCITED!
Mike Cliffe
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars
The ending is what saved this book… My rating was going to be a star lower but I loved the ending so much. I will assume anyone reading this review has read book #1 so there will be spoilers for book 1 in this review.
If you expected this book to be a continuation of book 1, you are poorly mistaken. It has the same characters, but it is basically a completely different story. We don’t get to see what happened after Conner and Jack meet Ben and Griff in the real world… we don’t get to se
Hollowspine
Apr 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Mart
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hohoho-ho. Mwahahahah. “ψ(`∇)ψ
And thus I resign myself to this second book and even though I try to resist, I end up giving it five stars and a place on my shelf of favourites. The truth is I really tried, I really did my best to distance myself from everything, yet I failed. I remember giving The Marbury Lens full stars only because I was immersed in the story, I was so captivated by the concept that I decided to overlook the things that annoyed the shit out of me, i.e. John/Jack himself. And
Terry Brooks
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This month, I am recommending Passenger by Andrew Smith, the sequel to The Marbury Lens, a book I read and loved a few years back.

Passenger is a hard-edge young adult effort (which really doesn't feel very young adult at all, if you get past the fact that the main characters are kids) about a strange artifact that allows Jack, Conner, Ben and Griffin to shift from this world into the very terrifying alternative world of Marbury. It is grim and chilling, and the boys are constantly fighting for
Anna
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you didn't like THE MARBURY LENS, you won't like this. But if you devoured MARBURY, if you GOT it, then read this, because it's MARBURY on crack. Everything is broken down and most of it is put back together again; a few things are explained, but nothing is neatly wrapped up in a comforting finale. At the end, and after you finish, there's a feeling of finality and of safety, which is really all you can ask for or expect, no matter where you are.
Literary Princess
Absolutely disturbing. So much profanity. So much violence. So much sexual brutality. Just kept me twisted in knots throughout. Not sure that I would actually recommend this to any teens ever. That said, it was really well written and I never could quite figure out what was real and what wasn't, so it was very effective.
Vaile Adams-Fujikawa
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved these books. They were violent and gruesome, but I thought they were excellent. I finished both of them in about 3 days, just couldn't put them down. They're intense though, so I would recommend with that in mind. Probably wouldn't be enjoyed by those easily offended or sensitive to graphic violence and gore.
Z
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
A more-than-worthy follow-up to The Marbury Lens...goes in some wild, mind-bending, and unexpected directions...
G.
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Seriously twisted in the best sense of the word. The best alternative to drugs that I know of.... take a ride down the rabbit hole, Andrew Smith style.
Ricky
Wow. Okay, the Mind Screw really ramped up too much in this book. Was it really necessary to write it like this?
Natalie
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Great series, but the first book was much better, to me anyways. I love how he always adds layer upon layer of horror and mystery, but maybe it was too much here. I hope there will be a third. It's got the potential of a horror-Narnia type world, where Marbury is seen by various generations, each with it's own story. First book was awesome, this one was ok, but the story, as a whole remains thrilling. I hope to read about Marbury again.
Steph Sorensen
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have very mixed feelings about this book. I love the darkness and the weirdness. The characters are vivid and interesting. The language is beautiful and strong.
But also, there’s no real plot. And that makes reading tough with a book this long.
I’m still giving this high marks just on the accomplishments of the positive aspects, but with a stronger plot and some editing if could have been much better.
Justin
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
So disappointed.
I liked the first book enough to read this one. I did enjoy the weirdness of the horror, mystery, and sci-fi. This is the type of stuff I can really get into. Yes, it was violent and disturbing. But I was most put off by the ending. It seemed contrived and like the whole story was written for an agenda.
I don’t know. I was hoping to have liked it more.
Michelle Glatt
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is mind-bogglingly, horrifyingly beautiful, and I love everything Andrew Smith writes. This added so much to what was started in The Marbury Lens, and Jack's story is going to stick with me for a long time.
Sherry
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Finally returned to Marbury & I'm glad I did.
Nicole
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Darwin51
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Let me just start off by saying, that to all of you who keep asking "why is Jack so improtant?" "What Makes Jack so special?" "Why him and not any other random person on the street?"
Well you see, if someone wrote a book about an average person whom nothing ever happened to, what's even the point of the book? NO ONE WOULD READ IT. Why did Nick Carraway get to follow everyone around when he did practically nothing? Why is the Hunger Games about Katniss and not someone who didn't get picked (or
« previous 1 3 4 next »
What to read next? 2 19 Feb 22, 2014 04:23PM

• Shadow on the Sun (Hell's Cross, #3)
  • The Order of Odd-Fish
  • The Last Free Cat
  • Call the Shots (Swim the Fly, #3)
  • Everything You Need to Survive the Apocalypse
  • Freeze Frame
  • A Certain October
  • Fall from Grace
  • Son of a Gun
  • Ghosting
  • Under the Bridge
  • The Sin-Eater's Confession
  • KOP Killer (Juno Mozambe Mystery, #3)
  • Execution (Escape from Furnace, #5)
  • Grunge Gods and Graveyards
  • For What It's Worth
  • Dark Moon (Wereling, #2)
  • The Glass Collector
Andrew Smith is the author of Winger, Grasshopper Jungle, The Alex Crow, 100 Sideways Miles, and Rabbit & Robot, among others. Exile from Eden: Or, After the Hole, the long-awaited sequel to Grasshopper Jungle, is coming from Simon & Schuster on September 24, 2019.

The Marbury Lens (2 books)
  • The Marbury Lens (The Marbury Lens, #1)
“Mind the gap, Jack” 0 likes