Start by marking “Hellhole Inferno (Hellhole, #3)” as Want to Read:
Hellhole Inferno (Hellhole, #3)

Hellhole Inferno (Hellhole Trilogy #3)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  577 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
The thrilling conclusion to the Hellhole trilogy
After the events of Hellhole Awakening, the people of Hellhole and the shadow-Xayans scramble to rally against the threat from the still-living rogue Xayans. Back on Sonjeera, the Monarchy is in an uproar after their surprising defeat and the breakaway of the Deep Zone planets. The dowager Queen decides to go to Hellhole on a
Published August 12th 2014 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Hellhole Inferno, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellhole Inferno

Dave
Aug 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Hellhole Inferno (Hellhole, #3) by Brian Herbert by Brian Herbert Brian Herbert and Anderson Kevin J 1962- (no photo)
If you've read any of my reviews of other books by these authors, you know how critical I am of their EXTREMELY one-dimensional characters. Yet their premises are interesting enough that I keep reading their stuff. I guess their books are some of my guilty pleasures of reading. Still, they don't deserve high ratings. Ah well. One of those little contradictions in life.

This is the
Stephen
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hellhole: Inferno brings a satisfying ending to a fun sci-fi series. With a large cast of characters, Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson have laid out a story that’s one part military sci-fi, one part political suspense, and one part alien exploration. As an exiled general tries to save his frontier colonies from annihilation, he must deal with vengeful galactic rulers, treachery from his own allies, and the threat of alien attackers who can move asteroids with their minds and posses other bein ...more
Josh
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read_2015, sci-fi, own
The conclusion to the Hellhole sci-fi trilogy is both satisfying and sad. Sad, only because it's a shame to see these complex and unique characters' stories come to a close but equally satisfying in the way INFERNO was written.

A gripe of mine with the earlier books was the lack of closure and cliffhanger-like endings which is not the case here. Authors Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert make sure to tie-up any loose ends and add some nice twists to keep the sci-fi interstellar epic fresh.

With
Pat Beard
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly satisfying ending to this trilogy. Plot lines and character lines brought nicely to a crescendo.
Robert
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: sci-fi and fantasy fans
Shelves: sci-fi
Hellhole Inferno, book 3 of the Hellhole Trilogy, has perfectly followed on from the previous two books, Hellhole and Hellhole Awakening. Quite often, a trilogy will have a great first book, but the other two could be very hit and miss. Not this.

Hellhole Inferno kept up the suspense, action, drama and horror of the previous books. The 'movie scene' chapter style is engaging, keeping you turning the pages to see what is happening to the other characters on other planets. The way all three books
Daniel Haines
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
There were too many deus ex machina moments, and the author often provided too much backstory to the previous books, slowing down the pace of the overall story, aannnddd the ending was easily predictable, however, I did really enjoy the story; if you want something fairly engaging, this trilogy is for you.
Cathy
Jul 12, 2014 rated it liked it
It's weird that the blurb on the cover calls it military science fiction, it clearly seems to be space opera to me. There are some ships in it occasionally and quite a bit of strategy with the rebellion, but it's not about battles and military operations. But when I think about it, most of the sub-plots revolve about the rebellion and strategies about that. There are very few romances or personal relationships. What makes a space opera? This series seems very comparable to Anderson's Saga of the ...more
Chris Engel
A straightforward simple read

I found this to be an easy read with none of the complexity of the Dune books. I miss the fullness that complexities can give, though..
Ryan
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Moderately enjoyable story with lots of cookie cutter space opera schlock. I had zero emotional investment in any of the one-dimensional characters. I expect better things from KJA and BH.
Mary Mackie
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
It answers the questions raised in the first two, but I felt it rushed through a lot of it... It was an ok read, but not great.
Alex Shrugged
"Hellhole: Inferno" is the 3rd book in the trilogy. It could be read standalone, but it would lose a lot of it's depth if you didn't read the other two books. This book reads a little like "The Saga of the Seven Suns" by Kevin J. Anderson who is the co-author of Hellhole with Brian Herbert. If you've read the "Saga" then you might get bored with this series. I took off a star for it.

The story: General Adolphus is having trouble holding the Deep Zone planets together as the Diadem Michella conti
William M.
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The final book in the Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson trilogy has come to a satisfying conclusion. Consistent with the two other novels in the series, it feels as if they wrote them all at one time without taking a break. Where one book ends, the next begins right away.

While many elements were predictable, a few creative curve balls regarding alien politics and some unexpected surprises kept the story line engaging. Although the depth of the characters were never really explored as deep as
A. Roy King
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Hellhole Inferno" is the concluding novel in the "Hellhole" trilogy by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson.

The series is what you might call a space opera. A group of remote planets, the Deep Zone, breaks away from an oppressive empire, the Constellation. Along the way, the rebellion is complicated by the emergence of a mysterious alien race, the Xayans, the original inhabitants of Hellhole, the central planet of the rebellion and headquarters of the rebellion's leader, General Tiber Adolphus.
Markus
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Wayne Schuster
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I would love to have given this book a five star rating. Good story,good characters and a good adventure. However the constant revisiting the back story of almost every main character over and over again made for tedious reading until I finally gave up and started skipping over those parts. It reminded me of the last few books of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series that stretched two books into three using similar tactics. Gentlemen, you are better storytellers than this, you create great her ...more
Joyce
Oct 14, 2014 added it
I really enjoyed this trilogy - Hellhole, Hellhole Awakening and Hellhole Inferno.

The second book was a bit slow with too much repetition and time spent on one character, but overall, I thought it was a good series with an imaginative plot. As is usual with trilogies of any genre, with proper editing they could be one good book.

Hellhole takes you to a group colonizing Mars and their finding of an intelligent lost species from the planet who are maybe not as helpful as they seem, and their batt
Ms. Reader
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
I won this book off of Goodreads First Reads and I honestly was very disappointed in it, despite it's appealing cover description. I couldn't get into the storyline and the plot. The characters were extremely weak and the details of everything was very hard to follow and consume. This book felt like it held so much potential and excitement, but I found myself doing the dreaded when it comes to reading... nodding off at every page! This book was not meant for me and it didn't hold my interest in ...more
Wayne
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
While the telekinetic aliens and the political machinations had potential I found the resolution unsatisfying.

Also why didn't anyone use their spaceships to try and destroy the asteroids that were incoming ?

This series took way too long to get to a point, had clunky foreshadowing and the characterisations didn't quite gel for me. Adolphus was supposed to be a military general of renown but he didn't vet any of his allies very thoroughly. I could go on but I don't think I care enough about this
Andy
Nov 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Obligated to read this to finish the trilogy I started, this was the weakest of the three in this trilogy, but overall the trilogy was enjoyable. Pales in comparison to the Dune tales, but if one had never read any Dune, this would hold up pretty well as a science fiction trilogy. As I got into this one, I found the writing somewhat clunky, and I found it hard to get into some of the characters. Personally, I hope Herbert/Anderson really have finished this set of tales and focus again on more Du ...more
Mia Kleve
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The conclusion to Kevin Anderson and Brian Herbert's brilliant Hellhole Trilogy.

We find out if General Adolphus and the Deep Zone alliance can defeat the Constellation fleet before the Ro-Xayans make their final attempt to stop the Xayans from reaching their ascendant state of ala'ru.

But the Constellation's leader, Diadem Michella, and Adolphus soon find out they both have more to overcome than they originally thought before they could have true peace.
James Caldwell
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I didn't think it was as good as the second book, so that's why I gave it four stars. Stilled liked it though. There were a few instances when characters seemed to make dumb decisions, or that their decisions were not fully foreshadowed, kind of making it feel like an out of character decision.

I was a little disappointed wit Ishop Heer's story arc. Well, the way it ended, anyway.

Other than those few complaints, I liked the book and the conclusion to the series.
Jon Tyler
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
I love Kevin J Anderson's writing, but I think this is my last Herbert/Anderson series. I tired quickly of the repetitive recasting of what-has-gone-before. The characters felt flat and unappealing. The ending left me baffled and disappointed. (view spoiler)
Natalia
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book very much. It was really hard to put it down. I had to know what happened! I found the ending a little too.."everything wraps up nicely", but that is okay. I really did enjoy the series overall, and thought it was well worth the wait for the book.
Curtis Jensen
Dec 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Drew Schott
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the wrap-up of a series I've been reading for the past 4 years.

The characters are quite memorable. The descriptions of the planets were quite stronger in the previous books, as well as the characters, but I supposed most of the story was the climax and wind-down of an expansive series.
Chad
Dec 14, 2015 rated it liked it
There were some mightily disappointing things about character continuity in this book. I won't spoil anything...but man, makes me wonder if I should rate this a 2. I'm a big fan of character continuity, and this closing story had some let-downs.

Anyway, a decent read overall.
Terry Kennedy
Not as well written as most of Brian Herbert's books. Felt rushed, ending was "fluff", and didn't bring the story to a strong finish with no set up for another sequel or if he does it will be one too many on this series. I'm a huge fan, but this was a let down.
Kay
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Great threesome

I imagined several endings for this series but the author was again the mastercraftsman. From the heroic military men to the sinister aliens this is an original work you will not soon forget.
Jason Piggin
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book and very enjoyable. K.J. has the ability to draw pictures in your mind like few authors I have read. It makes for an interesting roller coaster of emotions which change as rapidly as the scenarios they are created within. Top read from a top Sci-Fi author.
Karen
Jun 10, 2015 rated it liked it
If you read the first 2 books, go ahead and read this one. It's decent reading for those of us who enjoyably galaxy spanning "mainstream" sci-fi. Many plots, characters, military strategy and a suitably alien alien species. The writing style is not particularly impressive, however.
  • The Clone Sedition (Rogue Clone, #8)
  • Island in a Sea of Stars
  • Warlord (The General, #1-2)
  • Imperfect Sword (The Lost Stars, #3)
  • Leviathans of Jupiter (The Grand Tour, #14)
  • Hope Reborn (The General, #1-2)
  • The Long Fall (Exodus: Empires at War, #4)
  • The Two-Space War
  • Warrior (Legacy Fleet Trilogy, #2)
  • Terminator Salvation: Trial by Fire
  • Real Life, Real Miracles: True Stories That Will Help You Believe
Brian Patrick Herbert is an American author who lives in Washington state. He is the elder son of science fiction author Frank Herbert.
More about Brian Herbert

Hellhole Trilogy (3 books)
  • Hellhole (Hellhole, #1)
  • Hellhole Awakening (Hellhole, #2)