Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of Irish Romance” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of Irish Romance

The Mammoth Book of Irish Romance (Mammoth Romances)

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  226 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
An enthralling collection of romantic tales set amidst beautiful Ireland's lush ancient landscapes: pre-Christian ruins, green hills, rugged cliffs, and pounding Atlantic surf. These stories--by writers such as Roberta Gellis, Bertice Small, Jennifer Ashley, Claire Delacroix, and Mary Jo Putney--honor Ireland's rich heritage as a land of poets, magic, and mystery. The publ ...more
Published January 28th 2010 by Constable & Robinson

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of Irish Romance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of Irish Romance

Melindeeloo
Mar 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not everyone likes these BIG short Story collections but I love anthologies and when I think of Ireland I think of Fae legend and magical romance, so I was eagerly awaiting the release of the Mammoth Book of Irish romance and its twenty magical short stories. And it couldn't have arrived at a more perfect week in my time challenged life - these shorts were just the thing to allow me to sneak in a few short reads when I really 'should' have been doing something else.

While I am more of a paranorm
Trianna Hyde
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are alot of stories in this book but ill go thru them add a little blurb and how much i liked it:

The Blue Pebble By Shirley Kennedy - After the death of her mother, a lady travels from Ireland to England to teach the son of her mothers widowed cousin but finds so much more. 5 out of 5.
The Ballad Of Rosamunde By Claire Delacroix - A journey of a man hoping to free the love of his life from the king of faeries. 4 out of 5.
Oracle By Margo Maguire - A trainee oracle gets a glimpse of the past
Leah
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read the story by Sue-Ellen Welfonder but couldn't find her single so I'm posting the review here. Her story is The Seventh Sister. It's a beautiful story of second chances. Maggie and Conall meet in Ireland when Maggie visits the place of her ancestors right before she enters college. There is definitely a soul bond between the two. She goes back to the states and for twelve years they don't see each other or speak until she revisits to let her past go and they find each other again. There ...more
Amy Watt
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I'm not going to review every single story as that would take forever, seeing as there's roughly 20, but I thought that they were all roughly the same sort of standard - that is, not very good.

It seemed to be that the stories were fine...until the romance started. Then it just got cheesy.

Also, quite a few of the stories seemed like they'd been written by children. They pointed out the obvious quite a lot and everything they needed suddenly fell at their feet. Bit dull, really.

Wouldn't really rec
Theresa
20 passionate tales of Myth, Magic & History. I got this book in order to read Jenna Maclain’s Cin Craven story “The Eternal Warrior” (It’s called just ‘The Warrior’ in this anthology.) But being as I’m a voracious reader, I read the whole book. (BTW: it says 21 stories, but there are only 20.)

1)‘The Blue Pebble’ by Shirley Kennedy. 2 stars. Jane Eyre with a Merlin sidekick.

2)‘The Ballad of Rosamund’ by Claire Delacroix. 3 stars. Jewels of Kinfairlie trilogy 3.5. I reviewed this as a sepa
Serena
Gellis, Roberta - Compe
Lauren
Feb 01, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, anthology
OVERALL:

Kennedy, Shirley - the Blue Pebble

Delacroix, Claire - the Ballad of Rosamunde
Cullen, Ciar - On Inis
SheLove2Read
Aug 04, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I ended up being mostly disappointed with this anthology. The exceptions being the stories by Cat Adams, Cindy Miles, Patricia Rice and Helen Scott Taylor. 4 out of 20 is not a good ratio in my book.

The problem I have with this anthology is that this is supposed to be about Irish ROMANCE. I would classify these stories, for the most part, as fantasy with a little romance thrown in. Not every one - but the majority. One story I read didn't have ANY romance in it. Also, the length of the stories.
Selenity Jade (Coffee Addicts Book Reviews)
A great collection of short stories. Not one would I rate below 3 stars. My personal favorites:

The Ballad of Rosamunde by Claire Delacroix
The Morrigan's Daughter by Susan Krinard
Ta
Caitlin
Mar 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Shifter Made" By Jennifer Ashley is a novella that is apart of her Pride Mates series. It takes place in Ireland in the 1400s. This is a story of a Fae princess asking a shifter to make a sword. A sword that we known of because Sean from Pride Mates is Guardian of the Pride because he carries a sword like the one made in this novella.

"The Feast of Beauty" By Helen Scott Taylor is a novella that is apart of her Magic Knot series. Kate meets a guy claiming to be a King of the people of the sea, d
K
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what it is about Ireland that fascinates and bewitches me. Perhaps it's the magic of it, the myths and legends surrounding it, and/or the tales or romance, tragedy and love. So when I saw a book that included 21 tales of Irish Romance, I couldn't resist. And I must admit that I enjoyed every last one of them. Well, the majority of them anyways! Overall, I liked the authors included and their stories. I would recommend this book to readers who like romance and magic, fey and heroes.
Jenny T
A mixed bag of short romance stories: some bad, some good, mostly cheesy, one delicious. Sadly it seems most of these romance writers' definitions of "Irish" involve some cliche combination of Druids and fairies, with the heroine inevitably being captured by one and rescued by the other. With one notable exception: Roberta Gellis's beautifully-written take on Irish mythology--her Queen Medb stands out as the strong-willed, sexual being from the legends rather than the cookie-cutter hearts-and-fl ...more
Monique
Jul 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved reading this huge anthology, but, the only thing about a collection of short stories is just that...they end to quickly...It's like right when the story is about to climax ooopssss....it's over and another story is starting, however, if you love celtic and irish lore with a dash of magic and the supernatural you should really enjoy this collection of stories, even though they are short....
C.M. Truxler
This book is a treasure. I am nearly finished with it, yet hope to be reading it for a great deal longer. It combines traditional historical romance with myth and legends creating the perfec t balance between the realms of reality and fantasy.

Anyone who who enjoys a good traditional romance complete with plenty of heat, not trash; or the wonderful myths and legends that have been handed down for ages, will adore this collection of stories.
Cathiecaffey
Sep 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want more! This was fab! I picked it up to read a story each night in this anthology before I slept and it was just so beautiful to read these each individual authors! I'm so looking forward to reading more of these authors (those I read before and the new I met here) I so recommend this anthology. Its perfect to experience those authors you haven't read yet and want to try as well as looking for more to read! Perfect! I so hope there will be a second of this Irish Romance!
Paraphrodite
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I have to say that this took me quite a while to finish. I understand that the purpose of these Mammoth books is to showcase the different talents and entice the reader to seek out more of their work. Unfortunately in my case, it wasn't successful. There wasn't any story particularly memorable or well-written enough to make me do that. In fact, some of them were pretty ordinary. Overall, it was quite disappointing.
☂ ℬrandi
Shifter Made by Jennifer Ashley

Review on GR entry for individual story

I only read this story so far. One day I'll pick it back up and finish them all.

This is the 0.5 story to Jennifer Ashley's excellent Shifter Bound series. (one of my faves!)
Tiffany
I have discovered that I really do not enjoy short stories. As soon as I started getting into the plot line, it was over. I loved the themes and connections with lore, but it was frustrating to have every single story end so abruptly. I would have loved about 3/4 of what was included as full novels, but in their current format, they were just unsatisfying.
Angela Wade
This was bad. Really, really bad. The writing was sub-par, and the speed with which the H/h said "I love you" made my head spin (seriously - some of the stories had this happen after less than *a week*!). HEA's don't have to be so pat. The Irish history was intriguing, but it was taken on in stereotypical ways, and the way the historical language was overused.
Kelley
This is a HUGE book, as the title indicates. i can't remember the last time it took me an entire month to read a single book. And an entire month it was! I started this one March 1 and finished it March 31st.
:-) As with any collection with this many stories, there are some excellent stories, some in between, and yes, a few clunkers too.
I usually enjoy anthologies like this, but I felt something was missing from most of the stories. It really felt on most of the entries that they were initially longer stories and they were cut down to fit into an anthology book.
Bia
Oct 28, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I only ended up enjoying two stories out of the anthology.
Dina
Sep 01, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr, lib
3* "Shifter Made" by Jennifer Ashley
Neal
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read, enjoyable Irish-themed short stories, many with a supernatural bent. The writing is fairly good by romance standards. Lots of fun.
Tatyana Makarova
A very good piece of light reading, some stories being really captivating, others... well... unusual. But I really enjoyed the book.
Octavia
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It could have been better.
Heather
Only read Shifter Made by Jennifer Ashley - so that is what I am rating. I liked it but it was very short. Explains how the shifter swords came to be.
Jennifer Ashley
Dec 24, 2009 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Jennifer Ashley's story: "Shifter Made" (part of the Pride Mates series)
Lee Ann
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i really enjoyed this!
Donna
Mar 14, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't that crazy about most of these stories. A lot of them were just weird. I kept thinking "The next one will be good," but I didn't ever really read one that I liked very much.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Mammoth Book of Hot Romance
  • The Mammoth Book of Perfect Crimes and Impossible Mysteries
  • A Highlander Christmas
  • To Weave a Web of Magic (Samaria Chronological Order #3.5)
  • When You Wish
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
  • A Christmas Ball (Includes: Nvengaria, #4)
  • By Blood We Live
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • Nature Of The Beast (MacNachton Vampires, #5)
  • Faery Magic
  • Elemental Magic (Moon #6.5; Rai-Kirah #0.5 )
  • What Happens in Vegas... After Dark
  • The One That Got Away (includes: Effingtons, #8.5)
  • Unwrapped
  • Royal Bridesmaids
  • Moonglow
Trisha Telep was the romance and fantasy book buyer at Murder One, a London crime, mystery, and romance bookstore; she's now co-owner of the virtual bookstore www.murderone.co.uk and an editor of romance and supernatural anthologies for Mammoth. Originally from Vancouver, Canada, she now lives in London.
More about Trisha Telep...

Mammoth Romances (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance 2: Love Bites
  • The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance (Otherworld Stories)
  • The Mammoth Book Of Paranormal Romance 2