Start by marking “Callanish” as Want to Read:
Callanish

Callanish

Alternate cover for ISBN10: 0140072071 / ISBN13: 9780140072075
Published 1985 by Penguin Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Callanish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Callanish

Start your review of Callanish
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
This is a book I read several times in my teens. I wonder what I would think of it now as an adult?

Lets see if I can get hold of a copy and I will tell you,but as I remember I found the story very unusual and fascinating. Its true that the birds does have some human traits to make us symphatize with them bur there was also enough otherness about their characters that didnt make you think of them as actual humans.

A rare golden eaglet is captured and taken to a zoo where he befriends other birds
Kat
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

I read this book for the first time when I was about 10 years old, and I loved it back then. It was a childhood favorite of mine for a very long time. I was so happy to find an old copy of it on a flea market the other day. I still love it, it's a wonderful story.
Mawgojzeta
An young golden eagle called Creggan is captured and brought to the London Zoo. An older female eagle who's been in the zoo for a very long time gives Creggan the strength to survive and to try to escape the zoo. At the same time, a story is told about an older gentleman that works at this zoo. He often sits and watches the bird exhibits. The intertwining of their stories is great.

A good read if you are a bird enthusiast, or even not. I have never been all that interested in birds of any sort.
Rachel
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely a worthwhile book. If it weren't so old and therefore the writing kind of... dry, almost... I think it would be 5 stars. As it is however, I did genuinely like it, and I think it's worth reading at least once.
Zane
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh Mr. Horwood, once again you have managed to create a masterpiece of animal fantasy. This book follows all the Horwood trademarks of remarkable attention to natural detail (though markedly toned down from that expressed in Duncton Wood), poignant, thought-provoking expression of universal literary themes, and of course a love for the standing stones of Great Britain, the mysterious and other-worldly natural powers of which also feature so strongly in the Duncton books.

While on the surface
Lola Et La Vie
This was a re-read for me. It probably had been about seven or eight years since I last read it and I had forgotten how amazing a read this is.

William Horwood has been a favourite author of mine since I was a teenager. He writes stories about animals being animals incredibly well. This particular one is about golden eagles and follows the journey of a captive juvenile eagle at London Zoo and at the same time follows our human main character, whose path echoes some of the storylines of the
Chloe Stam
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Stefanie
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
After having read The Wolves of Time and Duncton Wood I stumbled over this book by Horwood.
It's different from both books mentioned before. The story develops around Creggan, a golden eagle, who is captured and brought to London zoo. There he meets Minch, an old golden eagle, who tells him stories of the wild and keeps his hope to get back to freedom up.

The reader feels with Creggan on all steps, from his capture, to his escape and finally his (short) return to the zoo. Horwood is able to give
Zeli
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012, 5-star, animals
The second William Horwood book I have read and once again, a very worthwhile read.
William Horwood is probably the most empathetic author I have ever come across. He tackles really unusual subjects in an imaginative and insightful way. The subject matter of this book are caged birds of prey. The story is told from the point of view of a wild born golden eagle caged at London Zoo and there is a fascinating periphery human character too whose life in some ways parallels the caged birds. I'm not
Janith Pathirage
Another amazing wildlife novel by William Horwood. It's not as big as Duncton Wood, but very entertaining nevertheless.. Freedom means a lot to an eagle, an animal who likes to spread it's wings wide and roam free in the blue skies. Caging such a creature's a real sin. I can imagine what sort of a pain this big bird had to go through coz William Horwood has written this book in such a way that you'll feel that you're actually the eagle himself. A great read !!
Gina
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A childhood book I never read, remembering the basic plot and cover but forgetting the name. It had been on my mind for many, many years and googling had proved fruitless until I finally came across it quite by accident. I immediately bought a copy and am so glad to have finally read it and put it to rest. A wonderful tale that will warm your heart.
Christina
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book several times in my late thirties and then once more in early 40's. I made the grand mistake or some might say generous gesture of loaning it out. I have missed it ever since. It's story is profound and thought provoking and haunts me to this day. Being a lover of birds of prey is just an added bonus. I am so hopeful to have it in my possession again.
Paul
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Straightforward, powerful writing invoking scenes I know personally - London, the Pennines, Rannoch Moor, the Highlands and Cape Wrath in the the far North. Storytelling as I remember it with struggles that brought tears (again.)
Christine
I think that this one of Horwoods best books. The story is not too long or too short. The book touches on some of themes that run though Horwood's other works, but there is not any preaching.
Jackie
Uplifting tale of finding freedom and returning home. It's the simple things that are important in life. Quite an emotional ending. Second reading for me.
Chas Bayfield
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic story of captivity told from the pint of view of an Auschwitz survivor looking at an eagle caged in a zoo. Loved it.
Lida
Apr 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
THis is possibly one of my favourite stories of all time. You feel as if you are part Creggan and how he struggles with the choices he had to make becomes part of your problems also.
Barrett
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood-loves
Oh, I loved this book. Golden eagles escape back to Scotland! I read this on a trip with my parents through Wales when I was 11 or 12 and it was wonderful.
Ian
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I love this book every time I read it. So moving and real
Arrow

• Mio, My Son
  • Spoonhandle
  • Sarah Walked Over The Mountain: A Novel
  • American Women Afield: Writings by Pioneering Women Naturalists
  • Towards Zero (Superintendent Battle, #5)
  • What Would Google Do?
  • The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory
  • The Theory and Craft of Digital Preservation
  • Algorithms of Oppression: How Search Engines Reinforce Racism
  • H is for Hawk
  • The Overneath
  • Hunted
  • A Different Light
  • The Moon of Gomrath (Tales of Alderley, #2)
  • The Witches
  • Going Home: Finding Peace When Pets Die
William Horwood is an English novelist. His first novel, Duncton Wood, an allegorical tale about a community of moles, was published in 1980. It was followed by two sequels, forming The Duncton Chronicles, and also a second trilogy, The Book of Silence. William Horwood has also written two stand-alone novels intertwining the lives of humans and of eagles, The Stonor Eagles and Callanish , and The ...more

News & Interviews

With clever detectives, missing jewels, murderous women, daring spies, and more, mysteries and thrillers deliver page-turning delight with ever...
“I do not think... that any man has the right to take life. When he thinks he has he is at his most dangerous.” 1 likes