Start by marking “Animal Masquerade” as Want to Read:
Animal Masquerade

Animal Masquerade

Come one, come all to the animal masquerade! The lion is going as an elephant, the elephant as a parrot, and the parrot as a turtle! Each costume gives way to another, yielding new surprises on every page, and revealing a menagerie of familiar and unusual animals. Young children will delight in the absurd and amusing images (who wouldn't love a ladybug dressed as a ...more
Published March 1st 2012 by Kids Can Press (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Animal Masquerade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animal Masquerade

Start your review of Animal Masquerade
Robin
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Becky O'Neil
From the Canadian author/illustrator of In Front of My House comes another imaginative, deceptively simple and completely charming picture book. The premise is the animals are going to a masquerade, and so they dress up as other types of animals, however improbable: "The elephant went disguised as . . ./ A parrot. The parrot went disguised as . . . / A turtle." The costumes are often delightfully improbable, as when the mouse masters stilts to become a flamingo. The porcupine who dons a rear ...more
Janessa
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The Animals are getting ready for a masquerade. But who will dress up as whom? I loved this book, and so did my children. We tried to guess what costumes each animal would wear, but there was a surprise behind every turn of the page - some that made us laugh out loud. The illustrations are absolutely charming. It is just pure fun.
Rory
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic and strange.
Tasha
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This picture book takes one long-running gag and turns it into a very funny picture book. As the animals get ready for the masquerade, they have to dress up in costumes. Each animal dresses up as another animal and then that animal chooses yet another animal to dress up as. It forms a neat chain. Much of the humor is in the depictions of the costumes themselves and also in the occasional asides that break the rhythm of the book for even more of a punch-line effect. Fonts are also played with as ...more
Clara
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Animal Masquerade by Marianne Dubuc

Animal Masquerade represents international literature for young children. This is a fun picture book written in French from a Canadian writer Marianne Dubuc. Animals are invited to an animal masquerade party where they must disguise themselves by dressing up as another animal. I particularly love when the swan and her two cygnets went disguised as the Three Little Pigs. The costumes are very creative. The illustrations are phenomenal. Marianne Dubuc known for
Morgan
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lots of reviews are saying this one is too long for the intended audience but I disagree. I would have loved this book when I was in elementary school. The size, the length, the illustrations, and the humor make this a winner for me.
Mari
A fun and playful book where we get to see all kinds of animals (real and imaginary) getting ready for a masquerade party. It's too small a format to share with a large group, but it's just right for a grownup and kiddo to suggle up with for a few giggles.
Jana
This cute picture book will have young readers giggling as the animals get dressed up to go to a masquerade party. There are some pretty clever disguises. This might be a good way for young writers to imagine their own fun stories about characters in disguise.
Jennifer B.
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really, really cute. I'm a big fan of Ms. Dubuc's work.
Lynn  Davidson
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this funny story, animals disguise themselves to be other animals. Mostly. Great illustrations.
Mary
Super cute but a little long, some children might lose interest, could it be shortened for story time?

Per amazon age range 3-7
Julia Flath
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
cool concept but wayyyy too long for children's book
Krista
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved the silliness of this!
Jess
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
October 2017 - I love how each animal manages to dress up but still looks like itself. The pattern breaks a few times, which always made Ben laugh.
Max
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations. Imaginative. Younger kids love reading this.
Karen
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really cute but too long for a storytime. Great for toddlers one on one.
Cheriee Weichel
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous illustrations and repetitive language makes this a great book for beginning readers. Just when I was starting to grow a bit bored, Dubuc throws in a complication. Just delightful.
DiAnne Warfield
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Preschool story time 7-30-2019
Kelly
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, loved this book! It was simply worded, but the words used got the ideas across. And plenty of short, simple humor. I need this book in my collection.
Danielle Butler
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: award-winners
This book starts out really cute. Each animal dressing up as another animal to go to a masquerade. However, I felt as if this book was too long for young readers. The book goes on and on, naming a number of different animals. In my opinion it becomes boring. This illustrations in this book make it a predictable read which could be beneficial to children just learning to read.

This book holds an "Outstanding International" award. Referring to the www.usbby.org webite, the books with this awards
Barbara
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: animals, ncbla2013
All the animals are invited to a masquerade, and they must choose the right costumes for the occasion. Each illustration that follows a picture of the animal shows it with a costume representing another animal; for instance, the lion decides to go to the party as an elephant, and he puts on a trunk and feet that resemble the elephant's. The elephant, in turn, chooses to go as a parrot with a beak and wings. The book continues in this fashion all the way through to the end. There are a couple of ...more
Ina
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
All of the animals are having a masquerade party - disguises are a must - and so, one by one, we meet each of the animals and what they are wearing. There are colored pencil drawings - and the ones depicting the animal in costume are hilarious. There is simple text mainly The went disguised as a and one animal leads to another - for example the wiener dogs went as a zebra and then, on the next page, the zebra went as a mouse. There are some puns (the fish went as a cat…which made him a catfish) ...more
Saundra Youree
A fun read. In my classroom I wouldn't use this book for an actual lesson, but maybe just one day when the kids need a short pick me up. It is a silly book in which animals are going to a masquerade. Each of them is dressed as a different animal. it is a very simple read. i think begin readers would love to read this book independently. The story would keep the children engaged and the pictures would help a beginner reader complete this book independently. Definitely a silly book and not very ...more
Angie
Aug 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The animals are invited to a masquerade and they have to come disguised. So each page spread is an animal and what it is disguised as and then the next one shows the previous disguised animal and what it is going as. I loved some of these disguises; the sheep in particular tickled me in its hedgehog costume, but I do think it went on way too long. There are probably twice as many pages as there needs to be with as little story as there is. However, the disguises are fun and the party at the end ...more
Allison Parker
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
All the animals are invited to a masquerade, which means everyone needs to choose a costume! "The elephant went disguised as ... a parrot. The parrot went disguised as ... a turtle." And so the pattern continues, revealing the newly garbed animal at the page turn. Just when the reader starts to get bored, Dubuc surprises with an irreverant switch-up. Surprising character appearances (Little Red Riding Hood, a three-headed monster) and author commentary ("The grumbly rhinoceros, who is actually ...more
Bridget R. Wilson
A masquerade ball for the animals...what will they go dressed as? They choose a surprising array of disguises.

What I thought: This is a fun book! I may use it for a party themed story time or around Halloween for a costumes themed story time. The animals' disguises are hilarious. The illustrations are nice. I think they're done with colored pencils which is one of my favorite mediums. I like this French import, and I think my story time kids will as well.

Story Time Themes: Party, Costumes,
Shanshad Whelan
Jun 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Adorable and clever in it's way. I really enjoyed some of the illustrations and the creative way the animals dressed up as something else to attend the party. This will be a great little book for introducing dressing up in costumes, or for use at Halloween. The list of animals dressing up does tend to go on and on for just a bit too long. I don't think this would work so well as a read aloud, but may be a good one on one story.
Samantha
Mar 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Inventive and showcases many, many animals. There's a few jokes thrown in too, though they're probably funnier for parents/caregivers sharing with a child than to a child reading independently. On the whole, very long and strange size for a picture book (squarish, and not much larger than the span of my hand, which is quite small). The premise for the book is good, but because the book is so long it goes on and on and a reader may grow tired before the ending.
Liza Gilbert
Feb 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Unless your child has endless patience, this book is not for you. Dubuc's art is the focus here - actually the only focus - and the joke of animals dressing up wears thin.

Had the paging been different, where the reader sees the animal in his/her costume, can guess what the costume is, then turns the page to find out, this might have worked well. Instead, it is all in the same spread and there is no build up.

Long with no payoff.
Wendy
Apr 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, won-it
I won a pack of this author's work from the publisher as part of a drawing on the Slice of Life daily writing challenge this March.

My children are older than the intended audience, but because of second language issues are reading below grade level. They really liked this book, and although they kept exclaiming at how long it was, it wasn't a complaint, just a comment. Maybe it's we adults who have trouble staying interested in a playful but plotless book for that long.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Zog and the Flying Doctors
  • The Bear's Song
  • A ​Titoktündér (A Titoktündér, #1)
  • Show & Tell Me the World
  • Stella, Queen of the Snow (Stella)
  • I'm Not Scared!
  • Varför är brorsan rädd?
  • Maps
  • The Cook and the King
  • The Gruffalo's Child
  • The Scarecrows' Wedding
  • Tous les bisous .
  • Die Geschichte vom kleinen Loch
  • Alphaprints: 123
  • Kezdet (A Szent Johanna Gimi, #1)
  • Here We Are: Notes for Living on Planet Earth
  • Stuck
  • Groovy Joe: Ice Cream & Dinosaurs
Diplômée en design graphique à l'Université du Québec à Montréal, Marianne Dubuc est auteure et illustratrice. Elle a signé une demi-douzaine de livres jeunesse, notamment deux ouvrages publiés à la rentrée 2010, Devant ma maison et Un éléphant qui se balançait...