Start by marking “The Legend Thief (The Hunter Chronicles #2)” as Want to Read:
The Legend Thief (The Hunter Chronicles #2)

The Legend Thief (The Hunter Chronicles #2)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Sky thought he had problems before, when his uncle disappeared, his family moved to an odd new town, and he kept the world's deadliest monster imprisoned. But now, the entire Hunters of Legend are coming to Exile to kill him. Turns out he needs the same friends that he kept in the dark to keep safe, to stop an unspeakable evil from wreaking havoc on the world.
Published March 5th 2013 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Legend Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend Thief

Fablehaven by Brandon MullLiberty by Annie Laurie CechiniThe Candy Shop War by Brandon MullEnna Burning by Shannon HaleThe Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
LDS YA & MG Authors
46th out of 116 books — 44 voters
The Wayward Gifted by Donna K. ChildreeThe Viking's Apprentice by Kevin McLeodThe Moon Wants To Be Spotless White by Priya NarayananPeter by Christopher Daniel MechlingThe Runaway King by Jennifer A. Nielsen
Children's Fiction 2013
12th out of 37 books — 33 voters

More lists with this book...

Aelvana
Sky Weathers is not having a good thirteenth birthday. What may be the entire rest of the Hunter community has now shown up in Exile, with the express purpose of killing him. Bedlam, an ancient and terrible monster who was sealed long ago by Solomon Rose and Alexander Drake, is trying to get free. And by all accounts, he's headed for Exile. And Sky, who has both the Hunter's Mark and the Eye of Legend, may be his target.

Although it's been a while since I read the first book, Return to Exile, it
D.J. Butler
The adventures of Sky Weathers continue, and become more dangerous. If it weren't enough that the ill-famed Hunters of Legend, under their suave-but-brutal leader Morton Thresher, have come to Exile specifically looking for Sky, the nearly-mythical father of all edgewalkers, Bedlam is also on his way. When he arrives, nothing will ever be the same again. New riddles to solve, more traps to escape, more monsters to face... it's everything Return to Exile had, cranked to a new level!
Platte Clark
The adventure continues for Sky and his gang of weapons-building monster hunters. Plenty of twists and turns, monsters, and high adventure. Yes, your kids will love it, but so will you -- smartly written and tons of fun. I was lucky to read an ARC version before the official publication date. If you're not familiar with the series, jump in. And for the many who enjoyed Return to Exile, everything gets notched up in The Legend Thief, so hold on tight.
Steven
Eh not sure why i gave this book a 4 but yeah BEWARE SPOILERS ARE IN THIS REVIEW!!!!!!!!!

Well okay i like the book and the story line and the abilies and everything. BUT.... i mean seriously over the past year Sky hasn't learned anything except Edge walking while i mean look how far Errand has gotten... and omg sky turns him down to go to the academy does he always wanna be weak and pathetic?? this book series could be so good if only sky could progress and get stronger but nope.. i guess he's n
AlixNicolee
PG for violence and some gore.

Never before have I read a more messed up book... and enjoyed it.

In this sequel to Return To Exile, dead people return, and presumably dead people who were alive in the last book make their appearances as other characters, thanks to the creative yet horribly annoying Slippery Wick Brew.

There are more monsters than before.

The battle between good and evil, light and dark, monster and man, Sky and - well, sadly - the whole town of Exile, is at its peak.

Now, time for ra
Gina (My Precious Blog)
INITAL THOUGHTS:

3.5 Rings

Full Review to post on the MY PRECIOUS BLOG: www.thecallawyafam.blogspot.com

This is a great follow up to Return to Exhile (Book #1). With a much faster pace, this book picks up a year after book #1 ends. E.J. Patten builds on his original story, bolstering the characters, who all benefit from being a year older and wiser. Sky continues to experience the same feelings of wanting to protect his friends, he strongly believes no one should be hurt on account of him. This att
Charity
Loved this. A great follow-up to the first book, with the story getting richer and deeper, but still retaining the humor of the first one. One thing I love about these books is that the adult characters are just as interesting and have just as compelling stories as the young characters. It reminds me of Harry Potter in that regard. After the way it ended, I'm dying for the third one - here's hoping it comes out soon.
Ellie
This sequel to Return to Exile is just as good as the original. E.J. Patten made the stakes high in the first book, so to equal that, he really had to pull magic out of the hat to raise the urgency level in this book. Apparently Patten is a sorcerer! He also manages to strike a great balance between humor, action, suspense, and drama. Sky, the main character, is loyal, clever, resourceful, nerdy, and slightly messy. (I can relate to that!)Patten addresses the quandary of heredity or environment ...more
Burningfeather
I bought this book sorta on a whim after I had bought the first one. I hadn't read this one before but I decided I might as well buy it since it was summer and I was needing reading materials. Good book, sorta lagged a little from the first at least that is what I think. I didn't NOT see what came at the end. I saw who that man was going to be, but did not guess about the one lady (whose name eludes me right now and I don't really want to spend the time searching for it [maybe this is why I shou ...more
Amy Barr
So if you've read all the Harry Potter books, and are desperately waiting for the next Percy Jackson book ("House of Hades", October 8th, 2013) I recommend trying the Hunter Chronicles. "The Legend Thief" is book two in the series and is an action packed adventure where our hero, Sky, is trying to figure out who to trust, how to save his friends and family, and if he can ever be more than what other people have tried to make him. Once again, if are looking for a fun adventure similar to the Harr ...more
Amy
Anne Gilbert
I love this series but the ending to the legend thief is hoping there's a 3rd book to the series the hunter chronicles because of what really happened to sky and errand and is phineas skys uncle and what really happened and is errand good or bad and especially at the end when alexander drake appears and ursula appears and is asking alexander drake where her son is and I'm not sure who her son is or what the plan is for errand and sky but I'm hoping that ej patten continues with the series and wr ...more
Echo
This book was amazing and around every page was a new adventure!
Kenzi
Fabulous, intense, and brimming with twists and turns! I'm dying for the next one!!
VIVI  GARCIA
Cant wait for the third
Heather
What a ride! Seriously, I definitely wouldn't survive if my life were a fraction of Sky's hectic world! I enjoyed this second installment of the series, especially getting to know the characters better and having a few of my questions answered. But now I still have questions!

We enjoyed reading this book aloud at bedtime. It was hard to stop at each chapter -- my kids wanted more!
Vanessa
4.5 stars. I enjoyed the Legend Thief more than Return to Exile, and I had really enjoyed the first. Reading a second book in a series can always be a bit scary because often you find things going down hill rather then leaving you satisfied. That is not the case here. E.J. Patton had a lot to live up to and he delivered. I look forward to a third book.
Samantha
Ahhhhhh, this book was so good!!! The creatures and the suspense throughout the book keeps you interested the entire time. But sadly the book ends in an agonizing cliffhanger and the next book doesn't even have a title.... WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY! D:
Lissa
Definitely liked this book better than the first. Don't get me wrong. The first one was good. This book digs a little deeper and the story line is richer. Definitely leaves you with more questions than answers.
B.
As with the last book, the world mechanics and concepts were original and sometimes really fascinating, but the stylistic choices in the actual writing can come across as repetitive or just mediocre.
Kitty
I liked it. Nice second book.. I do not like the names of the kids who fight with Sky. Both books begin slowly then suddenly take off with no slow down till the end.
Anthony
Amazing just like the first book.
The ending was a huge cliff hanger and now I wanted the third book! It gets more interesting as the story goes on!
Child960801
Also complex and confusing, like the first one. The building mythology is fascinating, however. Can't wait for the next ones.
Teen Department Homewood Library
Read & reviewed for School Library Journal - not published till December 2012.
Hope
Action Action Action Action FRED
Heather
Read & reviewed for SLJ.
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Manikmaya
Manikmaya marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Thomas M.
Thomas M. marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
  • The Guardians of the Hidden Scepter
  • Curse of the Broomstaff (Janitors, #3)
  • Samuel: Gadianton's Foe (Samuel Adventure, #2)
  • Sands of Nezza (Adventurers Wanted, #4)
  • Escape From Zarahemla
  • Line of Fire (Autumn Rain, #4)
  • Becoming Isaac: The Next Potter of Niederbipp (Remembering Isaac, #3)
  • Glory From on High (A Banner is Unfurled, #3)
  • Prelude to Glory, Vol. 8: A More Perfect Union
  • The Adventures of Dod, Book 1
  • Coming Home (Band Of Sisters #2)
  • Shattered
  • Changing Grace (Beyond Time, #2)
  • Air Keep (Farworld, #3)
  • The Secret Prince (Knightley Academy, #2)
4892080
In April 1974, a beautiful baby boy was born at a small hospital in Mesa, Arizona. E. J. Patten (“Eric James”) was in the next crib over.

The first story he ever wrote involved a strange ad, a Laundromat, and a bowl of chili; thankfully, it was never published.

He holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Media Arts, and a Masters in Business Administration from Brigham Young University. He currently res
More about E.J. Patten...

The Hunter Chronicles (2 books)
  • Return to Exile (The Hunter Chronicles #1)
Return to Exile (The Hunter Chronicles #1) Middle School Survival Kit: Free eSampler