Start by marking “Murder is a Piece of Cake (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #8)” as Want to Read:
Murder is a Piece of Cake (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #8)

Murder is a Piece of Cake (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper #8)

Mystery shopper Josie Marcus is thrilled to be getting married. But when a deranged bride meets a grim end, Josie will have to catch a murderer before she tosses the bouquet…

As a bride-to-be, Josie’s latest assignment is absolutely fitting—investigating wedding flowers and wedding cakes. Josie can’t wait to pick out the details to make her own wedding perfect, even as he
Mass Market Paperback, 291 pages
Published November 12th 2012 by Signet (first published November 6th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Murder is a Piece of Cake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder is a Piece of Cake

LORI CASWELL
Nov 13, 2012 LORI CASWELL rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
Mystery Shopper Josie Marcus is thrilled to be getting married to Dr.Ted. Her boss gives her an early wedding present/assignment. Josie gets to investigate wedding cakes and flowers. She is also busy finalizing her own wedding plans as her future mother-in-law starts to drive her a little crazy with her "minor" changes. Still it is good to have "pistol packing" Lenore around when she comes to the rescue when a homicidal bridezilla named Molly threatens to kill Ted unless he agrees to marry her.

J
Matt
Jul 12, 2014 Matt rated it liked it
Elaine Viets' series about a Mystery Shopper who uses her skills to solve crimes has been slowing down. As with the last book, this book began with multiple painful exposition dumps masquerading as real human conversation, with several repetitions of characters summarizing the first few chapters. It was painful and sloppy, and I wanted to quit the book, but I remembered her last one did the same thing and ended up decently, so I kept going. In this book, heroine Josie Marcus is about to marry ha ...more
Margaret
Dec 10, 2012 Margaret rated it really liked it
Another fun read from Elaine Viets! Loved it! Fast paced & fun!
Nefty123
Mar 14, 2017 Nefty123 rated it liked it
Once again a laugh out loud frolic in murder
Gloria Feit
May 18, 2013 Gloria Feit rated it really liked it
The newest book in the Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper extraordinaire, has Josie tasked by her boss, “Harry the Horrible,” to mystery shop wedding flowers and wedding cakes for a St. Louis wedding website. The timing couldn’t be better for Josie, who is in the throes of planning her own wedding. The first of her mystery-shopper sites is Denise’s Dreams, where the sales associate who assists her is a young woman named Molly, who in the ensuing exchange divulges - - well, gushes - - that she is also ...more
Rachel Kramer Bussel
Nov 14, 2012 Rachel Kramer Bussel rated it it was amazing
Will Josie's pistol-packing almost-mother-in-law ruin her wedding before it even happens? That is the question mystery shopper Josie Marcus is faced with weeks before her wedding to veterinarian fiance Ted Scottsmeyer, a relationship that has evolved along with this wonderful cozy series. Viets works in a deranged stalker who believes she is Ted's intended true love, and does a pretty good job convincing people she's been jilted, so good that even Josie starts to wonder. Add in one disdainful of ...more
Ed
Dec 18, 2012 Ed rated it liked it
#8 in the Mystery Shopper series. Josie is finally getting married after series entries filled with beaus who end up being unsuitable.
The mystery series does tend to be heavy on the red herrings. A black and white security camera picks up a dark Chevy Impala as being at a murder site at the right time to be involved; as three suspects are investigated, it turns out that they all drive a dark Chevy Impala.

Mystery Shopper series - Josie Marcus is thrilled to be getting married. As a bride-to-be, J
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Nov 24, 2012 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it it was amazing
When a series has many novels you might think 'more of the same coming.' Not so, in novel number eight "Murder is a Piece of Cake." This novel opens with a shock. Josie Marcus, Mother, Fiancée, and Mystery Shopper is assigned a job that has her shopping for wedding flower center pieces. What? A happy job, not one of the yucky jobs her boss is famous for? Already, I knew this book was going to be fresh and not just a continuance of the same.

Then, The first chapter has Josie's intended, Dr. (Veter
Terri
Sep 17, 2013 Terri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries, cozies
Josie Marcus is getting married. And her boss has given her a 'present': mystery shopping jobs with wedding-related stores. In one she meets Molly, who is also getting married to a man named Ted. Only she later finds out that Molly is a very crazy stalker when she show's up at Josie's Fiance' Ted's vet clinic in full bridal gown expecting him to marry her. And if that isn't insane enough, Molly is later shot and killed by Ted's mother's pearl-handled revolver.

So not wanting her own wedding halte
Kay Hudson
Dec 02, 2014 Kay Hudson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I'd gotten behind on Elaine Viets' Josie Marcus Mystery Shopper series, and this book reminded me how much I've enjoyed it. This go-around, Josie is mystery shopping wedding shops (flowers, cakes, etc.), a perfect fit since she's planning her own wedding, only a few weeks away. After all, what can go wrong in a month? Plenty, including a crazy stalker, an overbearing mother-in-law-to-be, and two murders. Josie's got a lot of work to do to pull that wedding off.

I have two more of Josie's adventur
Darcy
Dec 02, 2012 Darcy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, mystery
This was a fun one to read. I liked how crazy Josie was about her wedding and how her future mother-in-law seemed exasperate her plans. I thought the extra bride drama with Ted was funny! I know it shouldn't have been, but it struck me as so out of control you couldn't laugh. It is really too bad who was behind things and the reasons why, so petty.

I did love how Ted stood behind Josie and his new family. It seems like he fits better in with them than with his mother.

I liked where things ended i
Dec 15, 2012 Laura rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Ok addition to the series. I must have missed the 1 just before this as I didn't know a marriage was in the works. The groom does not show well. Good take on how a media outlet will gloom on to a "story" & skew it out of recognition. Villian was a disappointment. Josie is of the busybody trope. She is using her resources better & involving the cops (what, the police might want to know where a murder victim is? Well, that's finally occurring to her. Oh, & maybe they would like an ID o ...more
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Feb 08, 2013 Dee Renee Chesnut rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the series
Shelves: 2013
I eagerly anticipated reading this mystery for I have been waiting through several books for Josie Marcus to finally marry Dr. Ted, the attractive veterinarian. I did not need a murder or two to pique my interest in the dialogues and interactions between family members and friends. Yet, this is eighth book in the Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper series in the amateur sleuth category of the mystery genre; there is going to be a murder. Clues for the prospective victim, the first suspect, and the act ...more
Melodie
Apr 05, 2012 Melodie rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012
This series is far superior to Viets' Dead End Job series. Josie is a really likeable character, she has a typical pre-teen daughter and I also like her mother, Jane. This story was a really good one, but I could never drum up any type of sympathy for Molly, the "bride". Yes, she definitely had some problems, but she just wasn't the type you could ever feel bad for. Ted's mom was something, but she turned out okay in the end. If you like this series, you'll really like this one! RECOMMEND!!
Alannah Davis
Jun 23, 2013 Alannah Davis rated it it was amazing
I love Elaine Viets' cozy mysteries, and this one is no exception. #8 in the Josie Marcus "Mystery Shopper" series, this one finds Josie trying to prepare for her wedding - which can only come off without the proverbial hitch if Josie can manage to find the killer who murdered her prospective groom's stalker and framed his mother for the crime. The story is frothy and insanely fun. Elaine Viets comes through again!
Becky
Dec 09, 2014 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy
This is another fun installment in the Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper series. Though I skipped a few right before this one, the author does a good job of introducing the characters in each novel, so I didn't feel like I was lost.

The stalking aspect was a little bizarre, but overall the story was fun. I did figure out the ending before the characters in the book, though.

Lynn Demsky
Oct 31, 2012 Lynn Demsky rated it liked it
The gun packing mother-in-law was a pure delight --- the wedding was the best especially with all the pets in it but the story itself was just too long, too much (one murder would have been enough) and too much of it was revamping Josie’s life ….
Diane
Mar 07, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Enjoyed this one. Quick, light and easy. I had it figured out very early in the story, but that's ok. Still fun to watch Josie solve it. Great to see her daughter growing up so well and for Josie to find love...(awwww...)
Ruth Ann
Feb 02, 2013 Ruth Ann rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, mystery
Fast and cute.
Jan
Jul 22, 2013 Jan rated it liked it
Fun read with great characters!
Nancy
Jan 17, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Fun, light reading.
Kathy Warren
I do love Josie, her daughter, mom and her boyfriend vet Ted. It's always a quick read. This book was fun and age great mystery that for once surprised me.
Sue Wargo
May 19, 2013 Sue Wargo rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
This series is new for me but as a fan of her other series this is just as fun. Good beach or vacation reading. I thoroughly. Enjoyed the clever plot twists.
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Jan 17, 2013 Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozies, 2013
I have always enjoyed this series and this book did not disappoint. I will say that I kinda figured out who did it but it wasn't confirmed until when Josie figured it out.
Julie
Sep 13, 2014 Julie rated it it was ok
I assume this book finishes the series and it is ready to be finished.
Rumeur
May 13, 2013 Rumeur rated it liked it
Cutesy--"cozy mystery" with happy ending all fixed and tied up in a bow
Sandy Pfefferkorn
Jan 20, 2013 Sandy Pfefferkorn rated it really liked it
This is the latest in the Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper series. I always enjoy Elaine Viets' cozy mysteries.
Katy McBryan
Jun 01, 2013 Katy McBryan rated it it was amazing
A really quick read and hilarious in some parts. I love all of the St. Louis references having lived there my first 31 years! The series is a great read for anyone who likes mysteries!
Phyllis
Dec 16, 2012 Phyllis rated it it was amazing
I've enjoyed all the books in this series,but this one is my new favorite. Very Highly Recommended!!
Bevjirwin
Apr 08, 2013 Bevjirwin rated it liked it
nice cozy-i like this writer-prefer her series set in florida but like this one too
Madison Mega-Mara...: Murder is a Piece of Cake - 8th March Book 1 2 Mar 19, 2013 02:51PM
  • Nightshade on Elm Street (A Flower Shop Mystery, #13)
  • Motherhood Is Murder
  • Die Job (Southern Beauty Shop, #3)
  • Puppy Mills, Puppy Kills (Animal Instincts #3)
  • Stake & Eggs (Cackleberry Club, #4)
  • Let It Sew (A Southern Sewing Circle, #7)
  • Extra Credit (A Murder 101 Mystery, #7)
  • How to Crash a Killer Bash (Party Planning, #2)
  • Murder for Choir (Glee Club, #1)
  • Closet Confidential (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #4)
  • Dying to Retire (Murder, She Wrote, #21)
  • Fonduing Fathers (A White House Chef Mystery, #6)
  • Full Moon over Madeline Island (Madeline Island, #3)
  • The Scarlet Pepper (A White House Gardener Mystery, #2)
  • A Deal to Die For (Good Buy Girls, #2)
262084
As a young girl, Elaine Viets was taught the virtues of South St. Louis: the importance of hard work, housecleaning, and paying cash. She managed to forget almost everything she learned, which is why she turned to mystery writing.

Living in South Florida has not improved her character. But it has given her the bestselling Dead-End Job series. Like her amateur detective, Helen Hawthorne, Elaine actu
More about Elaine Viets...

Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper (10 books)
  • Dying in Style (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #1)
  • High Heels are Murder (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #2)
  • Accessory to Murder (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #3)
  • Murder with All the Trimmings (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #4)
  • The Fashion Hound Murders
  • An Uplifting Murder (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #6)
  • Death on a Platter (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #7)
  • Fixing to Die
  • A Dog Gone Murder (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper #10)