Start by marking “Conamara Blues: Poems” as Want to Read:
Conamara Blues: Poems

Conamara Blues: Poems

Translating the beauty and splendor of his native Conamara into a language exquisitely attuned to the wonder of the everyday, John O'Donohue takes us on a moving journey through real and imagined worlds. Divided into three parts -- Approachings, Encounters, and Distances -- Conamara Blues at once reawakens a sense of intimacy with the natural world and a feeling of wonder ...more
Published February 3rd 2004 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Conamara Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conamara Blues

Start your review of Conamara Blues: Poems
Laura Cunha

SPOILER FREE

Conheci o autor John O'Donohue no site Brain Pickings, onde descobri alguns textos e entrevistas muito interessantes dele. Sendo um poeta irlandês, acabei catando alguns livros dele para kindle para experimentar.

Talvez eu devesse ter prestado mais atenção ao fato que, além de poeta, O'Donohue também era padre e filósofo. A parte do filósofo pode ser até um atenuante, o problema é ser padre e irlandês.

É uma questão pessoal minha, preciso dizer,
Joey Woolfardis
I had actually ordered the play adaptation of Terry Pratchett's novel Nation, but this came through my letterbox instead. I thought I'd give it a read anyway, since they didn't want me to return it and I'm trying to read as much poetry as I possibly can.

You say: Now that they
Have called our names back
The mountains can
Never forget us.

- Mountain Christening

There were a couple of lines or stanzas that struck me, but otherwise I found it be nothing but pointless scribbling, in all honestly. I do
timv
Apr 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite poets. accessible lyrics with earthy metaphors. for you John O'Donoghue fans -- check out the "Speaking of Faith" website. There is a wonderful interview with with him there -- and you can also download a few of his poems being read by John himself which, as far as I can tell, a rarity.
Marianne
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Marianne by: an Irish priest
A friend gave this to me abt six weeks ago and I have been carrying it all over Ireland ever since.

So beautiful. Each poem sings to me.

Here's a very short one, "Fluent" (that I read while having bacon and cabbage at Lincoln's Inn in Dublin, earlier today -- the waitress stopped to chat with me when she noticed that I was reading poetry.)

I would love to live
Like a river flows,
Carried by the surprise
Of its own unfolding.
Ronan Mcdonnell
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'm not big on poetry in general; soft filaments and threads of words shifting in the wind. It's not quite for me. And this conforms to exactly how I see poetry; plus an added spiritual aspect and rewriting of Christ's life.
I did enjoy the first poem on the slow process of ideas forming from half-memories and conceptual glimpses.
Kathy Duffy
Mar 31, 2020 rated it liked it
A book of poems rooted in the Irish landscape and one section entitled the Rosary Sonnets. I think "Thought-work" was my favorite along with "First Words." A great many deal with the darkness and the light contrasts....
Jennifer Collins
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Lyrical and pastoral, these poems move by with a sort of languid beauty and blend into a long meditation with some gorgeous images. It's a quiet book, filled with glimpses of Ireland, mysticism, and transcendental visions, but well worth wandering through for the interested reader.
Michelle
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Brevity and nature themes remind me of Mary Oliver.
Jane Clark
Lovely, as usual! I read this in an off-and-on fashion.
John
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved these poems. Here is one.

Fluent

I would love to live
Like a river flows,
Carried by surprise
Of its own unfolding.

Wouldnt we all?

Anthony William
This book of poems was very kindly leant to me via a fellow parishioner who wanted to introduce me to Irish Poet John ODonohue - she also leant me his Celtic Pilgrimage DVD which she urged me to watch prior to reading his poetry - as hearing his voice and seeing his Ireland is the key to unlocking the heart of his poems. This is indeed what best supported my enjoyment of this collection of poems, which I would like to return to once I have read more of ODonohue.

Warmly recommended deeply
writer...
John ODonohues second book of 82 poems follows the same format as his first, Echoes of Memory, this one having three sections, each introduced by poetic or philosophic thoughts authored by others.

Approachings and Distances artistically explore a variety of elemental life themes, while Encounters focuses on the full spectrum of Christs life from annunciation to coronation. A beautifully expressed journey for the spirit, there is much here for contemplative reflection.

The Nativity was one of
Nan
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
John O'Donohue, the late Irish poet, is a current favorite of mine. As with any poetry collection, there may be just a few that make a particularly meaningful connection, but the ones that do will ring your bell. Intimate, wondrous, and tender. Actual rating: 3.5
Mary Drover
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I have yet to read a single word by O'Donohue that I dont love with the deepest reaches of my soul, and this is no exception. He is a master with language, and I am left feeling both terribly sad at the end of my reading and incredibly full of the world. O'Donohue is a gift to literature. ...more
Daniel
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
The poetry was beautiful, but not very accessible without really working to picture all the images in the mind's eye. Beautiful writing, to be sure, and a great collection of O'Donohue's poems, but I perhaps wasn't in the right place in life to be reading them.
Alison
Dec 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A poet and scholar whose words reach far beyond the mind and far down into the soul. A delicate and mystical embrace of humanity and vivid evocations of the colors of nature. For me, his work is imbued with holiness, no matter the subject.
Kathryn
Dec 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Individual poems in this collection are really beautiful, but I wanted the language to be more surprising. It did make me want to read some of his philosophy/theology though, he seems to have seen the world in a really beautiful way
Rita
Apr 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So. Lots of nature imagery. A little bit of banshee, a solid taste of celtic flavor. I paged it twice, it is short and sweet. Also, if you read this, please note the especially delicious poem about a river and unfolding.
Monday
Mar 31, 2010 rated it liked it
good stuff
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Mystical and quite wonderful.
Willa Guadalupe Grant
Oct 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fiona
More wonderful poetry from this gifted man. This book of poetry is about the people & area around where he lives & is vivid & touching. I like his poems about the rosary as well.
Jenneine
Katie Stewart
May 26, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Cow Book: A Story of Life on a Family Farm
  • You Are Your Own: A Reckoning with the Religious Trauma of Evangelical Christianity
  • Tuck (King Raven, #3)
  • Cult of Two
  • Death Wins a Goldfish: Reflections from a Grim Reaper's Yearlong Sabbatical
  • West Wind
  • O Coração Disparado
  • The Real Thing (Sugar Lake, #1)
  • A Girl Like That
  • The Raven Tower
  • Only for a Night (Lick, #1)
  • Contemporary Iraqi Fiction: An Anthology
  • I Could Pee on This  Too: And More Poems by More Cats (Poetry Book for Cat Lovers, Cat Humor Books, Funny Gift Book)
  • Kindred Spirits
  • The Next Right Thing: A Simple, Soulful Practice for Making Life Decisions
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • Sorry for Your Troubles
  • Letters to a Young Contrarian
John O'Donohue, Ph.D., was born in County Clare in 1956. He spoke Irish as his native language and lived in a remote cottage in the west of Ireland until his untimely death in January 2008. A highly respected poet and philosopher, he lectured throughout Europe and America and wrote a number of popular books, including Anam Cara and To Bless the Space Between Us.

News & Interviews