Start by marking “Conamara Blues: Poems” as Want to Read:
Conamara Blues: Poems

Conamara Blues: Poems

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  168 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Translating the beauty and splendor of his native Conamara into a language exquisitely attuned to the wonder of the everyday, John O'Donohue takes us on a moving journey through real and imagined worlds. Divided into three parts -- Approachings, Encounters, and Distances -- Conamara Blues at once reawakens a sense of intimacy with the natural world and a feeling of wonder ...more
Published February 3rd 2004 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Conamara Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conamara Blues

Joey Woolfardis
I had actually ordered the play adaptation of Terry Pratchett's novel Nation, but this came through my letterbox instead. I thought I'd give it a read anyway, since they didn't want me to return it and I'm trying to read as much poetry as I possibly can.

You say: Now that they
Have called our names back
The mountains can
Never forget us.

- Mountain Christening

There were a couple of lines or stanzas that struck me, but otherwise I found it be nothing but pointless scribbling, in all honestly. I do fee
timv
Apr 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite poets. accessible lyrics with earthy metaphors. for you John O'Donoghue fans -- check out the "Speaking of Faith" website. There is a wonderful interview with with him there -- and you can also download a few of his poems being read by John himself which, as far as I can tell, a rarity.
Marianne
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Marianne by: an Irish priest
A friend gave this to me abt six weeks ago and I have been carrying it all over Ireland ever since.

So beautiful. Each poem sings to me.

Here's a very short one, "Fluent" (that I read while having bacon and cabbage at Lincoln's Inn in Dublin, earlier today -- the waitress stopped to chat with me when she noticed that I was reading poetry.)

I would love to live
Like a river flows,
Carried by the surprise
Of its own unfolding.
writer...
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: irish-connxns
John O’Donohue’s second book of 82 poems follows the same format as his first, ‘Echoes of Memory’, this one having three sections, each introduced by poetic or philosophic thoughts authored by others.

Approachings and Distances artistically explore a variety of elemental life themes, while Encounters focuses on the full spectrum of Christ’s life from annunciation to coronation. A beautifully expressed journey for the spirit, there is much here for contemplative reflection.

‘The Nativity’ was one
Nan
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
John O'Donohue, the late Irish poet, is a current favorite of mine. As with any poetry collection, there may be just a few that make a particularly meaningful connection, but the ones that do will ring your bell. Intimate, wondrous, and tender. Actual rating: 3.5
Daniel
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
The poetry was beautiful, but not very accessible without really working to picture all the images in the mind's eye. Beautiful writing, to be sure, and a great collection of O'Donohue's poems, but I perhaps wasn't in the right place in life to be reading them.
Alison
Dec 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A poet and scholar whose words reach far beyond the mind and far down into the soul. A delicate and mystical embrace of humanity and vivid evocations of the colors of nature. For me, his work is imbued with holiness, no matter the subject.
Kathryn
Dec 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Individual poems in this collection are really beautiful, but I wanted the language to be more surprising. It did make me want to read some of his philosophy/theology though, he seems to have seen the world in a really beautiful way
Rita
Apr 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So. Lots of nature imagery. A little bit of banshee, a solid taste of celtic flavor. I paged it twice, it is short and sweet. Also, if you read this, please note the especially delicious poem about a river and unfolding.
Monday
Mar 31, 2010 rated it liked it
good stuff
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Mystical and quite wonderful.
Willa Grant
Oct 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fiona
More wonderful poetry from this gifted man. This book of poetry is about the people & area around where he lives & is vivid & touching. I like his poems about the rosary as well.
Jenneine
  • The Poems of St John of the Cross
  • Ten Poems to Open Your Heart
  • Gabriel: A Poem
  • The Celtic Way of Prayer: The Recovery of the Religious Imagination
John O'Donohue, Ph.D., was born in County Clare in 1956. He spoke Irish as his native language and lived in a remote cottage in the west of Ireland until his untimely death in January 2008. A highly respected poet and philosopher, he lectured throughout Europe and America and wrote a number of popular books, including Anam Cara and To Bless the Space Between Us.
More about John O'Donohue...