Start by marking “The Color of Evil” as Want to Read:
The Color of Evil

The Color of Evil

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  46 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Tad McGreevy has a power that he has never revealed, not even to his life-long best friend, Stevie Scranton. When Tad looks at others, he sees colors. These auras tell Tad whether a person is good or evil. At night, Tad dreams about the evil-doers, reliving their crimes in horrifyingly vivid detail.

But Tad doesn't know if the evil acts he witnesses in his nightmares are h
Published January 11th 2012 by Quad Cities' Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Color of Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Color of Evil

Sandie
Aug 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
Initially I was struck by the repetitious nature of THE COLOR OF EVIL. During the first part of the book we are repeatedly told that Jenny's parents did not want her to date Jeremy and had forbidden her to do so. Then we are told over and over again about Tad's and Stevie's problems as they went about their daily lives. Even Tad's daily notes to Jenny always began with the same opening line. I found this repetitive tone annoying. I do realize that the author has spent a portion of her life as an ...more
Jacques Coulardeau
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
A PERVERSE UNIVERSE FOR LOST AND WASTED TEENS

Welcome to adventure and action literature for older teenagers and youngsters. If you are slightly more advanced in age than 25, you might find it a little bit easy. You will, as Stephen King would say, see the zipper in the back of the monsters, here human monsters, but monsters all the same. Let me give you one example of the zipper to push aside forever.

Between locations 219 and 254, we find the following statements: “Monday, May 24th . . . fifty-t
Maxine
Mar 16, 2013 rated it liked it
3 stars is quite good for me for an Indie novel. The writing style was ok but repetitive, I know this is a book for young adults but I don't think that repeating what has been said before is really necessary.

I felt there were a few too many characters and I got confused between two of them at one point as we'll as between Jeremy and Pogo during the end scenes.

More on the 'thriller' side than 'horror' I think this is a story than can be enjoyed by teens but they should be warned of some of the a
Jessie Radford
Sep 27, 2014 rated it liked it
The writer some how found a way to make clowns, who are already terrifying to most grown adults and make them even more disturbing. And that's only with the cover! Beware as you enter into this book, they are not for the easily bothered, and the stories will stick with you.
Kim Jackson
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pretty good book. It was fast paced at times and at other times dragged a little.
Jessica Bronder
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tad McGreevy is 8 years old and has to ability to see colors around people which corresponde to the different people’s behaviors. For example, emerald green people seem to be the best people, red can mean violence, and black can mean sickness or be suicidal. The clown that Tad’s mother has hired is a shade of khaki, the sign of a murderer. After this party, Tad has nightmares of the clown butchering people. No one believes him and he spends a week in a mental institute. Of course the kid was rig ...more
Cheryl
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
I liked the set up for the first book in this box set. The concept that Tad had abilities to see colors and through these colors, he can tell if someone is good or evil. It is no wonder that so many people have a fear of clowns; especially if they are portrayed as evil, manic killers like Pogo. Which by the way Pogo is a psycho as well as a sexual pervert. The worse kinds of psychos are the ones that feel no remorse.

The abilities that Tad possess are not ones that I would count as lucky but mor
Pat Camalliere
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I can understand that this book, although too graphic for the age group in my opinion, would attract young adult readers. As an adult reader, not so much. Throughout the author keeps presenting the same backstory over and over. An occasional reminder is fine, but not at such length or so frequently. The book was also full of line errors and inconsistencies, and was not believable. It made me suspect the author did not use an editor, or a very poor one. In essence, I found the writing amateurish. ...more
Lee L.
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I recently had the less than satisfactory experience of reading this book in two days while I was hunkered down in front of the wood stove during the Blizzard of '13. When I began reading, "The Color of Evil" originally struck me as a YA novel, judging by the writing, but it later became apparent that this is not intended for the younger set, after all. You'd never know its target audience is actually adults from the first half of the book, which is completely set in a high school and concerns t ...more
Joan
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
A YA Fiction Horror Story

The story opens with Jeannie McGreevy, eight year old Tad’s mother having a birthday party for him and hiring Pogo, the clown to entertain the children. Tad could see auras and when he first caught sight of Pogo, the clown’s aura of gray-green frightened him so badly that he vomited and wouldn’t go near the clown. He had seen the gray green aura of Manson on TV. Later he began having nightmares, screaming so loud that the family couldn’t sleep. In twenty-five days he had
Walt
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Walt by: GOODREADS
RECEIVED FREE FROM GOODREADS FIRST READS. Initially I was struck by the repetitious nature of THE COLOR OF EVIL. During the first part of the book we are repeatedly told that Jenny's parents did not want her to date Jeremy and had forbidden her to do so. Then we are told over and over again about Tad's and Stevie's problems as they went about their daily lives. Even Tad's daily notes to Jenny always began with the same opening line. I found this repetitive tone annoying. I do realize that the au ...more
Patricia
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it

Well this is a book that had me turning pages , even though it has a psychotic killed clown in it . This is a well written book that takes us on a journey . Ta is just a boy when they realize that he can see auras and has dreams of death . Noone believes him so he hides it . We jump ahead where Tad is a junior in high school and has friends and is in love with his best friend Jenny. As they navigate through school and life things start to happen and events unfold as they do their best to figure
Beverly
Jun 30, 2012 rated it liked it
My thoughts:
This is a chilling, gruesome tale. Not a read for the faint of heart. There is no end to the sick and twisted nature of some of the characters in this story.

I need to begin my review with a side note: I read for the happy ending. Always. Regardless of the type of story - romance, paranormal, thriller, horror, fantasy...
I am always waiting for that moment at the end where it all comes together. That moment where the bad guy gets caught, love is finally found, you know - THAT moment.
Laura Thomas
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
When Tad McGreevey opens the door, he falls back in fear. Standing before him is Pogo the Clown, hired to entertain the kids at his eighth birthday party.

It’s not the clown suit that terrifies him. It’s the aura that surrounds him. Tad can see auras, or colors, around people. Different auras show whether that person is good or bad. Pogo’s aura is gray-green, or khaki, the worst color.

Nothing happens at his birthday party, but Tad suffers 53 days of nightmares. Pogo is a serial killer and Tad see
Heather Pearson
Jun 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Hiding in plain sight. In my opinion, that's what clowns do. All that overt make-up and distracting clothing, but what are they hiding or hiding from. Eight year old Tad really didn't care what was behind the make-up, he just knew he wasn't going anywhere near the clown that had been hired to entertain at his birthday party. When Tad looked at the clown all he saw was a horrid gray-green aura, the worst possible color. Every person that Tad looked at had an aura, most of them benign.

After the b
Mareena
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes horror
Recommended to Mareena by: Tracee at Pump up Your Book
Tad McGreevy has a secret power that he has never revealed, not even to his best friend Stevie Scranton. When he looks at others, Tad can see their auras - the colors around people that tell Tad if they are good or evil. At night, Tad dreams of the evil-doers, reliving their crimes in graphic and horrifying detail. But Tad never can tell if the crimes in his nightmares are happening right at the moment, have already happened, or will happen in the future.

He has been told by his parents never to
Lisa
Apr 30, 2012 rated it liked it
After reading a lot of fantasy and YA novels, I found myself looking for a change, and The Color of Evil fell right into my lap at precisely the right time. If you are a fan of the macabre and looking for a good thriller that will keep you awake at night, this is definitely the book for you. The characters were easily related to. The storyline flowed smoothly. While I could not relate to the area in which they lived, having money and all of that, I could relate to the trials and struggles and se ...more
Audrey
Apr 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
A traditional horror story in the vein of Bentley Little, Dean Koontz or James Newman. In a small town in Iowa, 8-year-old Tad McGreevey sees auras, and one aura in particular, that of Michael Clay, otherwise known as Pogo the Clown. Pogo is a serial killer, and Tad soon lapses into visions of Pogo's heinous crimes, but his insistence on relating the visions lead's to Pogo's incarceration.

Fast forward eight years: Tad still sees auras, but the visions no longer plague him. Instead, he's beset b
Dixie Goode
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I started this series with the third book and was not in love with the book, but interested enough to finish it, and puzzled enough about some of the details to return and buy the first two ebooks in the series. Book one is better, The writing is simpler and the story line less cluttered with tragedy upon tragedy befalling a small group on a small community. My biggest problem with book one is that it could start as a true crime book if she was honest about the fact that almost every detail is t ...more
November Is Nyarlathotep
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Free Book Dude Blog Tour Dec. 21

Review of The Color of Evil
Free Book Dude Blog Tour Dec. 21
4 stars

A complex mystery with multiple characters and many plot lines, “The Color of Evil” is the story of a small town In Iowa, Cedar Falls, adjacent to Waterloo. An eight-year-old boy, Tad, has precognitive dream visions and sees auras. The clown chosen to perform at his eighth birthday party, “Pogo,” carries the worst aura of all, a gray-green ugly shroud that even at his young age Tad understands sign
Crystal
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
There are times when, as a reader, I make a conscious decision to step outside of my normal reading box and pick up something totally uncharacteristic for me. I was approached about reading this series, and although I knew it wasn’t entirely my bag, I decided it would be fun to try something a bit different. I looked at the synopsis and figured that since it’s been awhile since I tried some horror, it could be interesting to try it again.

As I was reading, you can imagine my surprise when I disco
Donna
Jun 17, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a good suspense novel. The characters were believable and you could really picture them. They were also well developed with a sense of history and background to them. You really see a lot of the small town characters and how an event can happen that affects the entire town.

This story itself is not an easy read if you are looking for something light in the small town vein. It is not a light read by any means. But it is a good story which pulls you in and keeps you reading to find out wha
Pratr- Authors
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the author and from Paranormal Romance and Authors That Rock.

Normally this isn't the type of book i would read, but I have read a few Stephen King books and I have to say that I felt the authors style was very similar.
The story revolves around a young man named Tad who has the special ability to see auras and know what the colors mean. The author creates avery detailed environment in which her tales of horror are set. Her characters were real and each one was interest
Connie Wilson
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
"Connie Corcoran Wilson's THE COLOR OF EVIL is a scary, entertaining novel. Dealing with a young person's supernatural powers, bringing Stephen King's CARRIE and John Farris' THE FURY to mind, Wilson introduces us to Tad McGreevy, a young man who can see people's auras. A haunting childhood experience has already taught him the color of evil. This territory has not been mined in a while, and Wilson's take is fresh. With first-rate writing, a strong story, and believable characters, THE COLOR OF ...more
Sharon Mitchell
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I turned on my Kindle and began reading Color of Evil while sitting in a kayak on a bright, sunny day. A gentle breeze was blowing. The next thing I knew, my kayak bumped the shore on the opposite side of the lake. I had been so engrossed in the story that I had not even realized how far I was drifting.

I can't wait for the sequel to come out. But, I'll sit on dry ground when I open Connie Wilson's next book!
Susan
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
"The Color of Evil" is a real chilling, roller coaster riding horror story with really interesting characters. Even though it was a bit slow in the beginning for me, it caught my attention once story got underway and didn't let go. I would recommended this for all adult readers who love the thrill of horror.

This review is based on a complimentary copy which was provided for an honest review.
Delrose
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Connie Wilson has once again risen to the top. Her extensive background and experience in getting the least-known details of the story are absolutely amazing. She is thorough and keeps you entertained and informed with an unmistakable wit that gives you tremendous insight on any subject she writes about. I have been reading Connie's work for many years now. I loved this and can't wait for the next great project.
Jamie
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you've always been a fan of a good mystery thriller like myself you will enjoy this book. Connie does a great job of really getting to know the characters. Throughout the book you have the ones you love, and of course the ones you love to hate.

Makes you think about friendship, family, love, and of course what's the most important in the end.

Karen
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Great concept, and the writing isn't bad...it just isn't terribly engaging. I couldn't stay interested.
Jenny
Apr 11, 2012 rated it liked it
This one read more like newspaper articles than a book and few random things pulled me out of the story, but, all in all, I was kept flipping pages to see what would happen. Good suspense!
Free Book Giveaway: Free from the Award Winning Series 1 14 May 17, 2014 09:46PM
Bargain Basement: Award winning Free May 17-21 1 7 May 17, 2014 09:44PM
Connie Corcoran Wilson has published 10 books since 2003. "Hellfire & Damnation" (www.HellfireandDamnationtheBook.com) came out in February, 2010. Her three volumes of true ghost stories of Route 66 (Ghostly Tales of Route 66, www.GhostlyTalesofRoute66.com) are out from Quixote and in E-book format from Quad City Press. Her first book ("Training the Teacher As A Champion") was published by PLS ...more