Start by marking “September Rain” as Want to Read:
September Rain

September Rain

They slit his throat but he lived. That's what the townspeople said about the reclusive man they called Crazy Jake. When Jacob Chandler saved Hallie Greer from an attacker and was beaten half to death for his trouble, Hallie can't rest until she makes sure he's all right.

Hallie travels up a treacherous mountain trail to a treeline cabin. What she finds there is danger, my
Published December 9th 2011

To ask other readers questions about September Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about September Rain

Start your review of September Rain
Preeti ♥︎ Her Bookshelves
That's it?!
By the time I settled in for a read and my coffee, it had ended!!
And so much potential too. . . a sweet, warm hearted, chatterbox of a h, a seriously hot, brooding, tortured H, an isolated cabin, amazing chemistry, a good backstory, a hateful villain and it ends in short and sweet 7 chapters.
Not fair!
Chantal ❤️
Jenny
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: heroine-i-adore
Sweet fast read! Compassionate loving heroine brings back to life widowed brooding hero!!!
Vintage
Novella in the vein of Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold. A simple story that essentially hinges on one episode.

Fleshed out this would have been much better, but I will take a look at her other books.

Addendum:
For some reason, I kept hearing Guns N' Roses throughout the book. Turns out that's November Rain. Not the same kind of rain.

Jacquie Talento
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a cute story this was. Life hands us some pretty crumby deals but the two characters in this found a way to make it a happier place for them. Neither one was looking for anything but found everything.
Debra
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good beach read.
Celestine
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am always on the lookout for a well-written western romance, and I hit the jackpot with this little gem. I think it is difficult to combine the elements of a period plotline, interesting and heart-wrenching characters, decent suspense and romantic tension and wrap-it up in a short story. Mallory Kane managed to do this very well in the 63-page-long September Rain.

Jacob "Crazy Jake" Chandler and general store-owner Hallie Greer have a very sweet exchange, which can't even be termed a flirtatio
Joy
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was ok

Short at 63 pages, sweet and somewhat amusing.

Hallie certainly does have a thing about being a plain spinsterish old maid at 29 doesn’t she? Well over the hill at that age and what a chatterbox.

Sweet. Unknown to Hallie, Crazy Jack has been watching over her for some months because she's the only one who's shown him any kindness when he's come down the mountain for supplies.

Crazy Jack is not crazy at all just immobilised in grief when his wife was murdered in front of him and he survived the or
Bethany Swafford
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
When Hallie realizes 'Crazy' Jake's injuries, inflicted when he saved her from an attacker, were not cared for before he returned home, she sets off to make sure he is alright.

quite honestly, I was not impressed at all with this novella. Classified as a historical story, I struggled to place it anywhere in history. The repetition of certain phrases, such as Hallie's insistence that she is a spinster and too old to think about marriage at the age of 28, grated on my nerves. Plot-wise, it was rat
Ginger
SIGH! I really enjoyed this free short story which I downloaded a couple years back. Hallie Greer is 29 (considered a spinster for that era). Jacob Chandler (Crazy Jake) is a widower living up in the mountains away from town after his wife & unborn child were murdered and he was left for dead. During an incident one evening, Jacob comes to Hallie's rescue. All I can say is I wish I were Hallie! If I lived back in those days, I would definitely want a Jacob of my own! ...more
Aayesha Khatri
Ohh this was such a sweet, wonderful book! I absolutely loved it! I loved Hallie and the tender way she takes care of Jacob and I loved Jacob in all his fierceness and pain. A perfect love story, exactly the kind I like.

What I didn't like about the book was that the author made the falling-in-love part a bit unbelievable. It was too fast. And I have a few other complaints about the author's writing, but at the moment, I don't care. She wrote one hell of a story.
Libby
Nov 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Would have been easy to expand on this subject. There were plenty of opportunities for more detail and drama. Started off well but the ending seemed rushed.

The biggest let down for me was the female lead character continuously refering to herself as an "old, plain spinster" and worse than that the male lead character never disagreed...if I could I would have slapped him! If he had of disagreed just once the romance would have been more believable and enjoyable.
Mariluz
Jun 17, 2014 rated it liked it
I read this book today because I saw it was short and the title interested me. I was very pleased to read about Crazy Jack and how he received a second chance at love after his wife was brutally murdered. The story was short and kept my eyes glued to the book!
SheLove2Read
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
This had potential but the heroine quickly got on my nerves. If she said she was a plain spinster one time, she said it ELEVENTY BILLION times!! I get it - you're plain and old. Whatever.

C- for the heroine
LadyCalico
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was very moved by this short, sad, and sweet novella about love finding its way into the damaged hearts of a lonely spinster, and an emotionally crippled widower. The characters were so authentic and well-developed that I just wish it had been a longer story.
Deljah
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
3.5 stars. Enjoyed this short historical.
Brenda
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved it just wish it were longer!
Alison
Jan 21, 2016 marked it as to-read
kindle 63 (chic Lit)
Alexisa
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it
short doesn't mean without substance. would have loved for it to be longer.
Emmy
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
**3.5**
SandraE
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
A good short story with well thought out characters and a little bit of peril to spice up the story.
Leyns
Aug 16, 2016 rated it liked it

A very short, sweet romance. Things happened very quickly. I don't know if I'd recommend this to anyone but it was an okay way to pass a few minutes.
Greycat
Apr 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2013
Good candidate for most annoying heroine ever. Only a guy known as Crazy Jake would offer marriage...
Lillie
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
A sweet, touching romance about two damaged, lonely people who heal each other's pain.
Selma
Apr 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• More Than Scars
  • Lovina's Grief
  • Amish Grace & Love Collection (5 Book Box Set)
  • To Love Anew (Sydney Cove, #1)
  • No Tomorrow
  • Summer Campaign
  • A Discreet Gentleman of Discovery (A Discreet Gentleman, #1)
  • Wait for the Sunrise
  • The Lonely Lord
  • Flame and Ember (Regency Love #1)
  • Christmas In Red Rock Complete Series (Box Set Complete Series Book 26)
  • Watching You
  • In Want of a Wife (Bitter Springs #3)
  • Traitor (Twisted Fate, #1)
  • Duncan's Bride (Patterson-Cannon Family, #1)
  • A Christmas Gift
  • One Imperfect Christmas
  • When Two Rivers Meet
Bestselling romance author Mallory Kane has published over 40 romantic suspense titles between Harlequin Intrigue and Tule Publishing Group, and she has multiple independent projects spanning genres. Mallory loves romantic suspense with dangerous heroes and dauntless heroines, and she enjoys tossing in a bit of her medical knowledge for an extra dose of intrigue.

Mallory taught herself to read at