Start by marking “The Truce” as Want to Read:

3.26  ·  Rating details ·  23 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
When Aaron and Amber die they will wake in Purgatory. Unable to rest they will do the unthinkable and attempt to walk through Hell itself to find Heaven, and all they have lost, on the other side.

Once in Hell they will spark a revolution 2,500 years in the making.
Published January 26th 2012 by BookBrewer

To ask other readers questions about The Truce, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truce

Nancy Fischer
The premise of The Truce by E. Milan: Two people plagued in life by guilt find themselves in purgatory and must figure out how to get to heaven in order to reunite with those they loved. Along the way, and in order to survive, thrive and reach their goals, they must come to terms with their past and find a way to forgive their own sins.

I finished this book last night and have been a bit torn on how to review it. This is because it's obvious to me that this subject matter is very important to E.
Fiona (Titch) Hunt
What can I say? The story of a man and a woman with their own demons. They suddenly land in between Heaven and Hell, it's called Purgatory. What would you do if your loved ones were in Heaven and you put them there? All you feel is guilty for your actions.

One woman and one man's fight through hell to help each other to get to heaven to see their loved ones and to make one place a better place as well.
The Haunted Reading Room Lifetime Lovecraft
Apr 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to The Haunted Reading Room by: Book Review Program
Shelves: april-2012-reads
“The Truce” is as much a metaphysical pondering as it is a novel. Although it has two main characters, Aaron and Amber, and several intriguing and well-played secondary characters, the entire thrust of the book, in my opinion, is far more a treatise on the variations of the afterlife than it is a novel per se. Now this type of fiction was done frequently, and done well, in the Renaissance (and earlier, in the morality plays of the Middle Ages). But we live in a different age, in which a sort of ...more
Justin

I REALLY wanted to give this book 5 stars, I think that it shows a lot of potential and I enjoyed the plot itself. However, I had to give it 3 stars out of 5 for several reasons..

1. This plot is so original, and so creative, I couldn't help but be interested and addicted to this book. I'm not a religious person AT ALL, and I found myself wondering just what Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory were all like, and where I'll likely end up when I die.

2. While easy to
Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* .
The Truce is a novel written by E. Milan. I read this as part of a R2R with Book Review Program and would like to send out a special thank you to the moderators and the author for allowing me to participate.

I hate giving out bad reviews. I think an author should be rewarded for the amount of effort and courage it takes to put a book out there and get the opinion of readers. Having said that, I wish I could give this book a higher score then 2 stars. It just wasn't my kind of book. It was written
Marina Fontaine
This book, warts and all, deserves to be read for its originality if nothing else. It offers a truly original view of the afterlife. Some I suppose might find it blasphemous, but that's the way the cookie crumbles when this kind of topic is discussed. Be that as it may, on the quality of the book I unfortunately only rated it 3 stars because of the sagging middle part. There are action scenes and battles that go FOREVER, and while some might enjoy this part, I just wanted to get back to world-bu ...more
Eyehavenofilter
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a book. "The Truce" was written with great care, enormous love, and enormous compassion.Purgatory was presented almost exactly as I had imagined it when I was a child.Endless waiting, self doubt, self jugement, self criticism , anguish, loneliness, desperation, not knowing what I was there to accomplish. Then to make the decision to leave before God decides your fate, to venture into hell, an impossible task, in hopes of changing history, and the heart of God .
E. Milan's version of hell is
Jedidiah Behe
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started this book I had no idea what I was getting into. I read a quick blurb about it and that was it. I was pleasantly surprised with what I found.

I struggled a bit in the beginning. It was interesting enough reading about the author’s vision of purgatory so I stayed at it and was so happy that I did. Once the action started I became so caught up in the story that I burned through it like wildfire.

For me the story was so daunting that I found myself getting slightly depressed at the h
Ann
Mar 10, 2012 rated it liked it
I haven’t read many stories dealing with the possibilities of the afterlife. The closest I’ve gotten to this subject was probably playing the Dante’s Inferno video game (loosely based on the first canticle of Dante’s Divine Comedy). When I read the synopsis for The Truce I was immediately intrigued as to what Milan’s vision of the afterlife is.

The cover is simple but effective in giving the reader a very surreal introduction into the passage from life to death for Aaron and Amber.

It begins by lo
Lily at Bookluvrs Haven
**Featured Review on our blog today!http://bookluvrshaven.blogspot.ca/ **

Instead of waiting in Purgatory, to cross to Heaven, both Aaron and Amber do the unthinkable… they cross into Hell in the hopes of getting to Heaven sooner, and finding and facing their loved ones for the sins that have haunted them in life. Once in Hell, they must face unspeakable and horrible things that test their souls to the limit. In the midst of their own personal battles, another battle rages in Hell. In fact, there
Sabrina
I received this book through Goodreads Firstreads program and was quite excited to start reading it. I've been debating how to rate and review this book as there were certainly some memorable aspects but also some rather significant negatives. I agree with other reviewers however, that the concept, and the book, have great potential and with some revisions could be an excellent novel. For this reason I gave The Truce 3 stars instead of 2.

What I found most difficult with the book is that there wa
PepperP0t
Actually 2.5 stars.
I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review. Aaron & Amber die together in a “routine” traffic accident and simultaneously end up purgatory where they can achieve closure by regain their memories and making peace with those things that were questionable in their lives. Afterwards they can wait to be taken to heaven or attempt the journey on their own by crossing through hell.

To say I was disappointed with this book is an understatement. I don’t know if it was
Gabbo Parra
This book has so many interesting ingredients; it is a pity they were not brewed in a better way.

All the lives described were attractive on their own, but the way they were sprinkled throughout the book is somehow in detriment of the story.

The key here would have been to structure the pace of the narration in a different form. I even dare to suggest this could have been a lot better if it were two books instead of one: The Truce Part One and The Truce Part Two. This way, it might not be as repe
Heather Boustead
By E. Milan

In an instant your life can be over but what happens afterward? This is a question many people ask, for Aaron and Amber there is life after death they both wake up in Purgatory. They can both sit and wait for their chance to be lead to Heaven but when they learn that there may be another way neither one is content to wait. To get to Heaven they must first travel through hell, once they are there though they are pulled into an epic battle two and a half millennia in the making
Keith Johnson
I won this book in a Goodreads, First Reads giveaway. Thanks to E. Milan for personalizing my copy.

I really wanted to give this book 3 or possibly 4 stars and while reading the first half of the book I was set to do that. The two dead protagonists are finding their way and discovering themselves and their pasts, all the while dealing with purgatory. Even the beginning of the next part in Hell was enjoyable. Key word being the beginning. Milan has a talent and should keep going.

Now, that being s
Maryann
This was an interesting read. I have my own preconceived notions of the afterlife, so it was difficult reading this story, as they were not along the same lines as the book. It has a great premise and the author does a good job with the plot. I just didn't buy that this couple, Adam & Amber, were made for the battle for all eternity, an end to hell... and that you could go through hell to get to heaven.

If you enjoy stories about heaven and hell and battles, this is a good book.

I was given a
April
Mar 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to give this another half star but this site won't let me. Unlike anything I've ever read. The storyline was what interested me but when it got to reading about fight scenes that carried on it just kept reminding me of Lord of the Rings because there's endless fighting in those films/books. yeah, some of it was gripping and you wanted to know the outcome but i'm just not that type. i'm a girl. the ending made it all worth it.
give it a go.
Spyder Spyder
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now this book was awesome! The idea of hell, the whole concept was so original that I pushed to read as much as I could as fast as I could. Even though I was done reading my book, I bought a copy for my hubby to read and he also loves the story. It is a true suspenseful read to keep you anxious to know what will happen to Amber and Aaron, afraid for them when things got terribly rough. This book, I would love to see as a Movie!
Andrew
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting take on a Dante-esque story. However, the author's writing habits are far too limited. I grew tired of reading phrases such as " ... his legs pumped ...", "there is no more time", "... her body was numb...". Gotta like the frequent "what the hell?" while they're in hell, though. Decent afternoon read.
C.M. Gray
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Truce is a truly one of a kind original read. I loved the concept of crossing over into he'll as fast route through to heaven. Our two protagonists are well developed and we get to know them pretty well. Loved the battle scenes. I would recommend this book purely on the basis I have never read anything like it before...and that's a good thing!
Darren
Oct 18, 2012
Roy Huff
Apr 27, 2015
Benjamin Wretlind
E. Milan
Feb 22, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Sheetal
R.M. Gilmore
Emily Ladouceur
Apr 06, 2012
E. Milan
Mar 10, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Cari
Guadalupe
Jenn
Hannah
Mar 18, 2012
Readers Delight: Author Spotlight & Giveaway of "The Truce" 1 5 Jun 03, 2012 06:03AM
Goodreads Authors...: Free copy of The Truce 24 45 Mar 30, 2012 10:14PM
Q&A with E. Milan: Specific Truce Questions 1 3 Mar 11, 2012 01:31PM
Q&A with E. Milan: Writing style 1 1 Mar 11, 2012 01:30PM
Q&A with E. Milan: Introductions 1 2 Mar 11, 2012 01:28PM
The Truce 1 2 Mar 11, 2012 01:17PM
E. Milan lives in New York. He grew up on Long Island and attended college in Florida. He is a career pilot and an independent author with one novel, The Truce, available now and others in the works. He regularly updates his website.
More about E. Milan...

“We have a belief. A belief that our deaths will mean something, that what we fight for has purpose beyond the perpetuation of evil. You fight because you are told to, but we fight because we choose to.” 1 likes