Start by marking “The Side Effects of Forgetting (Forgetting, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Side Effects of Fo...

seventhswan

The Side Effects of Forgetting

(Forgetting #1)

Kellan can't remember how he's supposed to act, but he thinks it probably doesn't involve making friends with the lunatic girl-next-door and letting his best friend put his hand down his pants. M/M Slash.
Online Fiction - Complete, 72 pages
Published December 8th 2011 by FictionPress

To ask other readers questions about The Side Effects of Forgetting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Side Effects of Forgetting

Julio Genao
Oct 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: novella

description

Empathy.

You can't write well without empathy. Without the thing that lets you see a person, even if their words and their clothes and their manner disguise them.

You can never really read all that well without it, either.

I hated the ending.

I thought it was dead wrong for leaving an enormously important character arc unresolved. It may not be as important to the author as it was for me—maybe—but the unravelling of events and the implications of what who said to whom—and when they said it—were mana
Emma Sea
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-time, college, fab
4.5 stars. More awesome free fiction! This was neeearly 5 stars, but the ending seemed slightly abrupt. Also I thought (view spoiler).

I just swoon for stories about college boys falling in love, with hand-holding, sweet kisses, and first times (and no homophobia).

EDIT: And there's a sequel! Squee!
Camille Adams
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-rom-erotica, free
I enjoyed this. The story washed over me in a gentle, lapping, waves to the shore sort of way. Like it built into a calm crescendo, accumulating stars as it went along. At the beginning I just didn't think it was as good as Drunk Text but I steadily came to see this story as it's own entity, it's own vehicle. It has quite a different energy and a different point to drive home. And by the end, it comes full circle and does just that.

Kellan's life is changed, and for the better, when he gets a va
Lara
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am always so amazed when a story is so well done and yet it's free! I don't know why, I just am. I loved this story and it's players. I really like watching people grow and change. My favorite part wasn't even the love triangle between Kellan and Nate and Will. It was hot with lots of angsty sexual tension, but my favorite part was his friendship with Grace. It was endearing to watch Kellan become so genuine. Grace was a freaking fantastic character. Love, love, loved her.

Only 4 stars though s
Audrey
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Audrey by: Moss (the next banana peddler)
Shelves: man-love
3.5-4 stars. I waffled between a 3-3.5 rating and a 3.5-4 star rating. I think I'll go with the more generous 3.5-4 stars because this was a freebie read, and it's quite good when one takes that into consideration.

This story was a fun read. It's an m/m short online fiction story about a college student who loses his memory and has to relearn everything about who he is, including his sexual orientation.

Told entirely from the (present tense, meh!) POV of the amnesiac Kellan Green, we are right th
Chris
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay, free, ebook, romance, online, 2012, done
3.5 stars. Good m/m romance about a college student who wakes up in the hospital with amnesia - everything that makes him himself is missing). He basically has to rediscover himself, including his sexual orientation. This is a story that actually needed an epilogue or an additional chapter.
Fangtasia
Oct 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Compelling characters, interesting story, botched, incomplete ending.

Meeting Kellan, then Nate, gave me a jolt of understanding, even before anything happened. Grace is, all by herself, worth reading the story. Love her! And Will, eventually, also made me fall in love. All well and good, except the resolution to the main conflict is not very realistic. And the worst thing of all, what makes it feel unfinished and unsatisfactory, is the ambivalence I felt with the romantic couple at the end.

We'
Hannah
3.5 stars.

I really liked this online fic, even though the depiction of Kellan's amnesia was not exactly believable. I felt like seventhswan's writing was much cleaner than in Drunk Text, and her characters were generally more likable. It's worth reading the whole fic just for Grace, who has some laugh-out-loud-funny moments.
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
Extremely sweet and lovely.

Also:

"Oh please, you two were more obvious than a Thestral to a tragic war-orphan"

Anything with a Harry Potter reference is immediately elevated.

Rating: 3.5
Arthur
Mar 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Erin
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I'm saying aloud all the way thru this, "Will or Nate? Will or Nate?" and I'm also saying, "I so didn't see this coming but I'm so glad it did" and "how freaking fantastic" and "I was so hoping it would be like this, that it would end like this" (sob, whine, sob, snivel). And I was thinking what a fantastic quote that would make but damn, it would take so much explanation for that quote to make sense... but holy hell, shite...I loved this so much! Read, read, read...please...read.
Ayanna
Dec 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Yeah, I agree with Julio. The ending was cut short where it should have been explored more, but the end A/N makes it sound like the entire thing was more of an experimental crackfic for the author anyways. Not excusing the lack of a real ending for us readers, but it makes it make more sense?
karlakolumna
Jun 25, 2012 rated it liked it
This fic is totally missing a chapter--or an epilogue... I mean, Nate?! I needed there to be more.
Slightly less than 3 stars because of the lacking ending.
Lbarra
Oct 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Good read, but felt myself more interested in Nate than the MCs. I was left being more curious about Nate and feeling so sad for what he lost.
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was perfect. What a great concept. There were a lot of emotions in this and I loved every single one of them.
Edina Rose
Jul 13, 2012 rated it liked it

This books shows how having amnesia can affect your sexual orientation and your feelings (love, friendship). Without the burden of the past it is sometimes easier to make one's choices.
Lou
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Another beautifully written piece. Seventhswan delves into the world of amnesia, examining how challenging and potentially liberating it might be. The characters are true to themselves, as frustrating as that can be at times, but the emotional pain and joy is drawn to the readers attention in the best ways.
GrEatE
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-fiction
3.5*
this was deeply moving
Karen
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book thoroughly! Even though the premise is silly (I don't think amnesia really works this way, but it's such a convenient plot device), it actually ended up working. I totally got how confused Kellan was, not just about his past, but his present. And wondering if remembering would be a good thing, or not! Relearning his sexuality, and wondering if he was gay before, and if he is gay now. The sexual tension between him and Nate was well done, and I'm happy that it wasn't resolved at ...more
Booklover, Indianapolis
(Aug) This was a short story about Kellen, who awakes from a beating w/no memory of who he is or anything about his life. His bff Nate is there for him, helping him reacquaint himself with his life. After a period of time, Nate also reveals to Kellen that the two of them had been intimate (not penetration) but had kept it a secret. Nate wants to pick up where they left off; Kellen longs for a proper out-in-the-open relationship. Nate can't go there because they are "not gay." Kellen ends up meet ...more
Jill
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked the second one better, because I preferred Nate's character (even though the sub/dom in that story got me confused, I just tried to ignore that detail) but this author is an excellent writer and her(?) stories are beautifully written in detail and plot.

I highly recommend "A Year Full of Days". Nate's character is rather pathetic, angsty and lovelorn, but his emotions are written perfectly and I sometimes use it as a go-to story when I'm feeling down.
Lavender
I loved, and am amazed seventhswan hasn't published these stories yet. Amnesia stories are a favorite of mine, and this one has lived up to expectations. Kellan can't remember why he is in the hospital, and who are the two people who are waiting by his bed? This is his journey on reclaiming his life, and hopefully remembering who he is.
Anabelle Lucia
Mar 24, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 stars :)
It's a really nice story, I had no idea what will happen in the end, and well, I'm quite satisfied in who Kellan chooses in the end, although I think that the ending is too abrupt. I love Grace, she's hilarious!!! XD overall, it's a good read, and it's free too :D
Anja
Feb 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: free-ebook, m-m
2.75
Major English (Laura)
Great characters, but disappointing ending! I read the sequel to this story and was even more disappointed! How unfortunate!
Sandra
Rachel
May 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Nice story. Guy with amnesia has to figure out his relationships - will he stay fooling around with his closeted best friend, or try for something more?
Sophie

• Pretty Shade of Grey
  • Running Far Afield
  • An Oral Fixation
  • Louder Than Sirens, Louder Than Bells
  • But then, My Homework Was Never Quite Like This (Homework Verse, #1)
  • In Over His Head
  • Just Friends

Forgetting (2 books)
  • A Year Full of Days (Forgetting, #2)
“So," she says, "What's got you so busy?"

"What?" he says, "Oh, um, I was trying to perfect my telepathy." Grace gasps and bulges her eyes out very wide. "Are…you okay?" he asks, finally, after she shows no signs of stopping.

"I'm pushing a thought towards you, obviously."

"Oh," Kellan says, "Well I guess I'm not a telepath after all.”
1 likes
“Besides," she says, eyes twinkling mischievously, "it'd never work out between us. I'm still holding a candle for Professor Haven."

"How could I compete with a middle-aged English professor?"

"Well," she says, "you could do, but it'd be useless. Something about his receding hairline just drives me mad.”
1 likes