Start by marking “Gandhi and the Unspeakable: His Final Experiment with Truth” as Want to Read:
Gandhi and the Unspeakable: His Final Experiment with Truth

Gandhi and the Unspeakable: His Final Experiment with Truth

In 1948, at the dawn of his country s independence, Mohandas Gandhi, father of the Indian independence movement and a beloved prophet of nonviolence, was assassinated by Hindu nationalists. In riveting detail, author James W. Douglass shows as he previously did with the story of JFK how police and security forces were complicit in the assassination and how in killing one ...more
Published February 1st 2012 by Orbis books

To ask other readers questions about Gandhi and the Unspeakable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gandhi and the Unspeakable

Start your review of Gandhi and the Unspeakable: His Final Experiment with Truth
Nick
In this little book of about 120 pages, not including notes and acknowledgments, James Douglass simultaneously recounts the evolution of Gandhi's awareness from the origins of his commitment to nonviolence to his final months of life; offers insights nonviolence; tells the story of the successful plot to assassinate Gandhi; and analyzes the complicity of the Indian government in the assassination, along the way describing quite well the mindset of those who convince themselves nonviolence cannot ...more
Tim Hoiland
Mar 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
If I were to describe an unassuming Indian man with wire-rimmed glasses, wearing a white robe, sitting at his spinning wheel, youd know exactly who I had in mind: Mohandas Gandhi, one of the most celebrated figures of the twentieth century, who remains an international icon of freedom and peace. He inspired the likes of Martin Luther King and countless other nonviolent activists throughout the world. You can even get a mug with a quote attributed to him at Starbucks.

Youre probably not going to
Kittylittle
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Little book on a huge conspiracy, that is such a poorly kept secret, the victim was aware of it. Then the Indian government failed to convict the chief conspirator and raised him to founding father status.
Joe
Feb 13, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm not sure if this was supposed to be a biography, a report on the assassination of Gandhi, or a discussion of the two main competing forces in India before and after Partition. Regardless, it was a quick read and provides some interesting insights.
Beth
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I have not read any previous books about Gandhi, although, like most people, I know something about him. I found this book to be both worthwhile and extremely biased.
The author is not objective at all when it comes to the spiritual nature of Gandhi's mission and methods. It is very clear that the author's own religion and spiritual fervor colors his view of Gandhi and his life.
Having said that, this book was still an good read to get details about Gandhi, how he thought, his motivations, his
Connie B
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was too broken hearted to finish this. I'll return, as I have an interest in the man, and his mission.
Jake
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Struggled.to get.through all the refrences and various terms.
Dorothy Hynous
Jul 23, 2015 rated it liked it
nice and short and informative
a few really good thoghts
Ramesh Jothilingam
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Truth will set u free
Cathy Doyle
Jun 10, 2012 rated it liked it
There is a journal article struggling to get out of this book. It has much padding to make it book length (and a short expensive book, at that).
Doruk Kurt
Jan 19, 2020
Katherine
rated it it was ok
Sep 04, 2012

• All the Devils Are Here (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #16)
  • Melania and Me: The Rise and Fall of My Friendship with the First Lady
  • The Erratics
  • The Scribbly Man (Children of D'Hara, #1)
  • Home
  • You Think It, I'll Say It
  • The Van Apfel Girls Are Gone
  • Masters of Disaster
  • The Friend
  • A Monstrous Place (Tales From Between, #1)
  • The Wall
  • A Brief History of Time
  • Late Victorian Holocausts: El Niño Famines and the Making of the Third World
  • Everyman
  • Brownie Points for Murder (Jill Andrews Cozy Mystery #1)
  • અતરાપી