Start by marking “The Conquest of Lady Cassandra (Fairbourne Quartet, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Conquest of Lady Cassandra (Fairbourne Quartet, #2)

The Conquest of Lady Cassandra

(Fairbourne Quartet #2)

HER PRIDE.
HIS PREJUDICE.
THEIR PASSION.

As headstrong as she is beautiful, Lady Cassandra Vernham defied convention when she refused to marry the man who had compromised her. Now, estranged from her family, Cassandra struggles to make ends meet. A recent auction of her jewels has brought her a modicum of relief, but one of the most valuable lots was never paid for by the
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published February 26th 2013 by Jove

To ask other readers questions about The Conquest of Lady Cassandra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Conquest of Lady Cassandra

Sonya Heaney
Originally posted HERE .

Relatives were put away all the time. Officially, her brother had no authority over her aunt, but as the closest male relative, and an earl at that, he would probably succeed if he tried.

I’m silly for paying too much attention to reviews, because I nearly passed on this series. One book genre I don’t seem to agree with a lot of people on (apart from those New Adult “blockbusters” everyone but me seems to love) is historical romance. Madeline Hunter’s reviews tend to be
Jacob Proffitt
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steamy, romance
This is the second in the series and characters from the first are frequently present—including both main characters. Definitely read The Surrender of Miss Fairbourne first, but you can look forward to this one while you're at it.

I apparently have two types of five-star experiences. Most stories reach five stars by delivering the expected elegantly and with a dash of delight. This is one of those. Which is why you'll get this review while I'm still a week or so constipated on another I haven't b
CJ Patrick
Feb 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
Madeline Hunter has been an auto-buy for me for many years, but I'm sorry to say that I wish I had waited to check this one out of the library instead of buying it. Based on the first book in the series, The Surrender of Miss Fairbourne, I was really looking forward to Cassandra's story. She had all the qualities I usually like: older, wiser, calm, little mystery, etc. Unfortunately, there was way too much mystery (most of which could have been solved with a short and sweet conversation with her ...more
Karen
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this, and I'm looking forward to going back and reading the first in the series (which I thought I had, but it didn't sound familiar. Oh, well).

Strong characters and a deliciously twisty, intriguing plot.. what more could you want? How about a hard look at the nastier side of Tonnish society's strictures, and what happens to a young woman of means AFTER she's refused to accept an untenable marriage? Part of what happens is that she's forced to the edges of good Society, the targ
Keri
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010s-read
Liked this one much better than the first one in the series and it has a better flow to me. But what is it with bad brothers and this series. Although the mystery part of it was pretty good and unexpected.
Maria
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lady Cassandra Vernham lives on the edge of good society. Six years ago she was "compromised" by Baron Lakewood and then refused to marry him when he offered for her hand. Complicating matters, Lakewood has recently died in a duel, supposedly defending Cassandra's honor.

Cassandra lives with her Aunt Sophie, a beautiful, but aging woman who is beginning to suffer from dementia and was known for somewhat scandalous behavior in her own time. Cassandra's brother, Gerald, the Earl of Barrowmore,has
Linda
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lady Cassandra Vernham exists on the fringes of tonnish society, spurned by the majority of the ton for her refusal to marry a gentleman who in the tons eyes comprinmised her.cassandra's rother Barrymore is continually trying to force her in to marraiges to men she does not know whom he has chosen, if the conmntinual harrassment is not enough ; Barrymore has pulled His and Casssandra's Aunt Sophie into their ongoing skirmish and is using her as a weapon to ensure Cassandra's co-operation; but Ca ...more
Emanuellen Trizi
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A better book than the first! Its refreshing to see the pursue and the sparring between Cassandra and Ambury, this one clicked enough for me.  Since the previous book I was curious about her story and how her first season went down because of Lakewood. Ambury was a instant love, sooo Sherlock Homes that I almost heard Elementary dear Cassandra lol their lovestory is sweet and well constructed, delicated in the right way. The sidestory about Aunt Sophie was surprising, because you do suspect some ...more
SidneyKay
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-regency
Tina
Dec 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Lady Cassandra Vernham is one of those women you just WANT to be like: independent, caring, bold and outspoken. She is unafraid to speak her mind, even if it causes people to think she is a bit scandalous.

Viscount Yates Ambury (egads, what a name!) is a man with similar qualities. He is somewhat on the edge of polite Society, yet he does come from a long line of distinguished and well-known ancestors whose reputations are unblemished.

The beginning of this story kind of confused me, although I s
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
Lady Cassandra Vernham would rather be a scandalous lady than some man’s doormat. Her decision not to marry the man who compromised her honor left her reputation in tatters. Cassandra does not mind being independent and notorious as long as she can continue to care for her aging Aunt Sophie. Sophie provided Cassandra with a home and acceptance when it was needed most; a favor that must now be returned.

Viscount Ambury has always been fascinated by Cassandra’s beauty and spunk. When tying up some
BookMaven
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Myster and Romance Lovers
Recommended to BookMaven by: Daily Cheap Reads
Lady Cassandra Vernham has a notorious reputation. A duel was held a few years earlier that resulted in a death. It was rumored that Cassandra was the reason for that duel.. She had also been caught in a compromising event and she refused to marry the man who compromised her. She fled to the home of her Aunt Sophie to escape her brother, Gerald, the Earl of Barrowmore's displeasure with her and his determination to marry her off. Gerald has just let her know that he will put Aunt Sophie in an as ...more
Nidofito
We wait a considerable long time to uncover the mysteries of Aunt Sophie's earrings, Cassandra's secret, and Gerald's animosity while being distracted by the romantic game played by Cassandra and Yates. And then all of a sudden, you've reached the end of the book and everything comes right out in the open, with new developments to boot. You don't get enough time to appreciate these developments, and are generally left unsatisfied as you close the book. There were a few juicy comments regarding 1 ...more
Desi
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
4.5, well-written. I really didn't enjoy the beginning that much, perhaps it was a little too somber at first. Most of the rest of it was lovely though. Interesting characters, quirky aunt, endearing hero. Relatively realistic interactions.

I expected a more dramatic event at the heart of why she accepted scandal rather than accept the fellow from years ago who compromised her, so that was a tad anti-climatic after all the lead up.

There were some gems in terms of wonderfully constructed dialogu
Ilze
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
3 and a half stars. The main characters are interesting and the story has some interesting twists too. Didn't involve me emotionally with the main characters as much as I would like when reading a romance, and there are a few loose ends in the plot - e.g. who actually was Lakewood and what was the duel that caused his death really about? Also, when did the duel happen? This was never clear and that whole aspect of the story was quite muddy and unsatisfying. On the other hand, the descriptions of ...more
Gerry Bartlett
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I just want to dive into a good Regency historical. Madeline Hunter is a master of the genre and she didn't disappoint me this time. Lady Cassandra was compromised but shocked everyone when she refused to marry the man who caught her in an embarrassing position. Now she's coming back into society as a friend of a newlywed. Ambury is curious about Cassandra, not only because he thinks the man she spurned ended up dead because of her, but also because the earrings she auctioned off turne ...more
Rebecca (everyday reader)
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cassandra is one of those women who live on the edge of society because she was alone with a man and is seen as ruined but refused to marry the man who 'compromised' her. Yates has always secretly wanted her, but has some suspicions of her and her unconventional aunt reguarding some sapphire and diamond earrings. There is some as yet unknown history between their two families, some deep secrets involving her intentionally mean brother, her aunt is deteriorating slowly in her mind enough to be ob ...more
Amber Ray
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Meh. Felt too much was going on in the plot...things were much too scattered with threads dangling! I felt that there needed to be "more" in why Lady Cassandra rejected her fiancé. I felt the brother was a little overdone at times, and the aunt...well, I felt that her being a renowned woman of questionable repute was enough and the jewel thing was maybe a little over the top.

I kind of hate romance novel series. If you pick one up and don't realize it's part of a series, it's always frustrating i
Elaine
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: madeline-hunter
The first two-thirds of the book were very slow. I put it down several times to do housework instead of reading. I never do that! Perhaps I should have just put it on the DNF pile instead. The only reason I didn't was that several of my friends rated it high. The last 100 pages were decent, but not worth reading the first 200 to get there. I don't think I am interested in reading the rest of this series.
Las
Mar 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, historical
I liked the setup and the characters, but the romance fell flat for me. Madeline Hunter is very good at showing her characters longing for each other, and that was missing in this book. The declarations of love felt like they came out of nowhere.

The plot was interesting enough that I'm going to read the first book of the series.
Carolina
I enjoyed this light book. It was fun to go into a book knowing that there was a happy ending and no cliffhanger to leave me in angst. I liked the characters from their first introduction in the Surrender of Miss Fairbourne and even though the love story was a predictable one, there was enough little twists to the secondary storylines to keep it interesting for me.
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Better than the first but not the best I've ever read.

I'm hoping book 4 will be Penthurst and Lydia's story.
bell
The plot has been written about by others, so I won't go into to much detail. (these reviews are mainly for me , when I try and track down a book I read )
Heroine sells her jewels because her loser brother is threatening to put her aunt in a "home" , because he wants her to marry.
The hero has always been attracted to her, but he and his friends think that their friend died in a duel fighting over her, so they have ignored her the last few years. What's equally worse is that their friend Penthurst
Holley
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Strong heroine who defies convention to do what she thinks is right. The hero is borderline. He makes assumptions without trying to find out the facts because he is so sure he is correct. The explanation for the brother's evil deeds doesn't seem like enough to me, but at least there is one. I really like the author's style and will read another.
Peg Hughes
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating story

I've had this on my Kindle for a while. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy Ms Hunters writing. The characters are well drawn,the dialogue intelligent and the story with some unexpected twists was wonderful .
Kari
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is a stereotypical heterosexual romance and I loved it. There were lines that made me laugh and all the expected smut. I half called the big reveal (I had it with the wrong spouse) and it was a good, fun, easily read end to 2018.
Debra McEathron
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this story about nobility rules, customs and intrigues. The main characters have to overcome family skeletons, secrets, and money issues. They also have to deal with Alzheimer and dying parents. And of course true love prevails.
Rachel
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a very un-romantic romance novel. It wasn't a bad book - it was an interesting story of people finding their way through a marriage of convenience. But it was weirdly unromantic, and I actually said "Really?" out loud when they declared their love.
Shirley Hamlod
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another enjoyable read in this very good series! I love revisiting characters from any previous books. I like the way Madeline develops her characters from the previous books. This also had an interesting sub-plot. Great!
ReadWithE
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
The female lead falling for the male lead didn't really hold up for me. She could do better.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Feb 24, 2015 09:09AM

• A Bride by Moonlight (Fraternitas Aureae Crucis, #4)
  • When She Said I Do (Worthington, #1)
  • The Mistress Memoirs (Boscastle, #13)
  • Dusk with a Dangerous Duke (Lords of Vice, #6)
  • If You Give a Rake a Ruby (Jewels of the Ton, #2)
  • The Lass Wore Black (Scottish Sisters #2)
  • Sweet Revenge (Nemesis, Unlimited, #1)
  • The Last Debutante (The Secrets of Hadley Green, #4)
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
  • When She Was Wicked (Honeycote, #1)
  • A Most Scandalous Proposal
  • Surprising Lord Jack (Duchess of Love, #2)
  • Once a Rake (Drakes Rakes, #4)
  • How to Pursue a Princess (The Duchess Diaries, #2)
  • Lord of Darkness (Maiden Lane, #5)
  • The Importance of Being Wicked (Wicked Family Secrets, #3; Millworth Manor, #2)
  • The Earl of Her Dreams
  • A Dance in Moonlight (Fitzhugh Trilogy, 2.5)
Madeline Hunter is a nationally bestselling author of historical romances who lives in Pennsylvania with her husband and two sons. Her books have won two RITA awards and seven nominations, and have had three starred reviews in Publishers Weekly. In a parallel existence to the one she enjoys as a novelist, Madeline has a Ph.D. in art history and teaches at an East Coast university.

Fairbourne Quartet (4 books)
  • The Surrender of Miss Fairbourne (Fairbourne Quartet, #1)
  • The Counterfeit Mistress (Fairbourne Quartet, #3)
  • The Accidental Duchess (Fairbourne Quartet, #4)