Start by marking “Legion of Bats” as Want to Read:

Legion of Bats

They were all different, but together they changed the world.

In a world governed by fear and corruption, a baby, Zoe Masterson, was born and immediately targeted for death. Hidden away in the rural West Virginia town of Tanner, Zoe grows up feeling like an outsider—always just a little bit different from the people around her.

As bad becomes worse, she is arr
Published 2012 by Shadow Stephens

To ask other readers questions about Legion of Bats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legion of Bats

Start your review of Legion of Bats
Shy The WidowMaker
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you are a lover of people with supernatural abilities this is the book for you. I started this book and couldn't put it down. It reminded me so much of if the X-men comics were made into a novel. I loved everything about this book. This book starts out with us meeting Zoe who we know is different. She ends up at what she learns is a hospital to help people with special abilities learn how to control them. Zoe meets a cool group if friends with a range of abillities from necromancing,telekines ...more
Trista
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One question - Why is this not a bestseller? from the very moment you open the book you are drawn into the battles that Zoe faces, with people and within herself. The author makes us root for Zoe and her forbidden love until we are blindsided by an event that can change her life. How is she to survive finding love and possibly losing it? I hate when books are great an I try to tell you about them because I usually want to tell you the entire story! I am sorry if I just let "the cat out of the ba ...more
Lisa Markson
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In my opinion:
I loved this book and couldn't put it down definitely 5 stars.  It was unbelievable that this was a first book for her.  The way she wrote the book and the flow made me think she was a seasoned writer.  Zoe starts off thinking that the world thinks she is a freak.  She is always blamed for everything.  When her neighbors fight, a tragedy happens and she takes off running because she knows that she will be blamed.  She is them thrusted into a world that she never knew existed.  And
Katherine
Meh

The editing and grammar leave much to be desired in this novel. Although the story held my interest, it read as if the author was in a rush to finish it. The title is also very misleading. All in all, I could have spent my time better than reading this book.

Marlene
Violet eyes and paranormal powers

Thoroughly enjoyed this book with very different characters. A hero with violet eyes, fierce loyalty and friendships, deep love and devotion, a villain having to compel his flunkies, a girl adopted out to keep her safe - lots of different lines and interactions.

I would love to read more of Lotus!

The only reason I don’t give more stars, is for the sloppy spelling and grammatical errors.
Examples:
Using the word “shutter” (to close) instead of “shudder” (shaking)
Rachel
Jul 11, 2012 rated it liked it
TLDR Recap:

Zoe Masterson has always been different, but she never suspected she belonged to a race of supernatural creatures. The Endowed are people with extraordinary abilities, and when Zoe is taken to a mental hospital for a crime she didn’t intentionally commit, she discovers she’s not only Endowed, but her powers are incredibly rare and strong. Unfortunately, those powers make her a target, and she’ll need her gorgeous Guardian’s help to survive as she searches for the truth about her herit
Phaedra Seabolt
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I had a tough time putting this book down. It took me about 2 days total to read it. If you like to read about a multitude of types of supernturals, this is definitely a book for you! In this story, the supernatural people are called Endowed, Guardians, Trackers and Assassins. There are of course humans on earth as well, but they take a very minor role in the story. The Endowed appear to be the primary race, or at least that is what King Peter intends for the majority of the book. Since this is ...more
ReadingDiva Book Reviews
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
~~* Originally posted @ ReadingDiva's Blog - Rating 4.5 of 5*~~

Legion of Bats is a combination of Urban Fantasy & YA Paranormal. The story is different and engaging. I liked this book; I enjoyed the writing style and the characters. Xmen meets Carrie.

The plot flows easily, the good vs evil in a fight to the death. This is Stephen’s first book and I am quite surprised. Her ability to create such an enticing and engaging story is amazing. The plot plays around a group of people who are quite diffe
Melissa Haggerty
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Paranormal books are incredibly popular right now, especially with the Twilight craze. The usual topic is vampires or werewolves, and don't get me wrong, I love them. Shadow Stephens took paranormal in a completely different direction, though. She created a secret society of Endowed, hidden from human eyes, and full of powers.

I'm not sure where to begin with the characters. The main character, Zoe, is new to this secret world. She was always considered different and so she learned to be alone. I
Laurie
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Zoe has always felt like an outsider. Arrested after an arson that she couldn't have conceivably committed, she is taken to what looks to be a mental hospital and finds that nothing in life is as it appears to be.

I was a little skeptical of this book, based on its title. I had assumed it would be yet another vampire story, but it has nothing to do with vampires or bats. This was an incredibly fun and enjoyable read. The characters are very personable, likable, and fairly well defined. There we
Pragya
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Paranormal/ supernatural lovers
Shelves: 2012, review-request
This was a riveting book. It takes you in from its very first page and keeps you bound till the end. Fast-paced, leaving no room for taking a breath, this book would appeal to paranormal lovers. But since I am not much of a paranormal lover and inspite of that loved this book, I may as well say everyone should give this book a chance.

This is a writing debut (published) by the author Shadow Stephens and she has done a mind-blowing job with her very first book. There is a lot of action in here, n
Shayna Gier
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved the character of Heyyel- one of the guardians in the book. She was both amusing, mysterious, and kicked major butt. Heyyel made me laugh out loud several times while reading this book. Another thing I loved, and found very interesting, was the way that this book took smaller elements that can be found throughout the paranormal world and wove them into the story in a way that reminded me of other works that I'd read- and loved- but still came across as 100% original.

Legion of B
Crystal
Jun 22, 2012 rated it liked it
What I liked:
-The plot & the message. Interesting story line.

-Got into the story right away, but as story progressed I stopped believing it.

-It was free & at least interesting enough to finish.

What I didn't like:
-it read like a teen novel but with scenes inappropriate for teens.(in my opinion). The main character is 26 but acted 16.

-She goes from a "screw the world" attitude to "save the world" like the flip of a switch.

*SPOILERS* from here on
- Didn't like how Zoe wants to do Todd on the hoo
Wanda Hartzenberg
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Legion of Bats by Shadow Stephens
I received this book for review for an upcoming book blog hop. I accepted it eagerly based on the title alone. Was I in for a surprise? The book is a roller coaster ride of non stop action and Zoe and Todd has an interesting dynamic in the story. I loved the fact that from the start of the story Zoe was never ever a victim. By the end of the book she is a force to be reckoned with!
I loved the love affair in the book and the fact that Zoe's love story is fast
Theresa
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Zoe Masterson is the kind of character you immediately have empathy for. She is the underdog with everyone coming after her. Her confusion over the unfolding events makes you want to help her, certain she is being framed. You start rooting for her even as you know her only as the troublemaker who has clearly landed herself in a mess.

Cold and scared after her first night in the mental hospital, things begin to unfold in a whole new light. She is presented with resources and abilities she was obli
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Shadow Stephens takes you into a whole new world of paranormals. Forget about vampires and werewolves. She introduces us to Endowed, Assassins, trachers, and Guardians. The paranormal world she created has it's own issues and conflict.

Zoe is in her twenties and is very misunderstood. If anything goes wrong in her small town, she will ultimately get the blame. She is different and different isn't good in her neighborhood.

She is taken, yes, by force, one evening to a "mental hospital" after her ne
Jennifer Zuna
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The first word that came to my mind when I started reading this story was charming. The main character Mira seems like any other "normal" teenager even though she's not. She's from another planet that's very similar but much more advanced than earth as we know it. She's not supposed to have any contact with earth males but can't seem to fight the attraction to a sweet and caring earth boy named Jesse. Then there's the creepy Everett. Outwardly popular and has everyone fawning all over him except ...more
Gina's Library
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
I read this book for Promotional Book Tours.

This book is amazing. It is action packed from the very beginning until the very end.

Zoe always knew there was something different about herself, and that she didn't fit in the world around her. The truth is something she would of never expected!

This book is so many things. This book is a thriller, action, and romance all rolled up into one.

This book is also about friendship and standing up for what is right. No matter what the friends had each others
Rae Ryans
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Imagine a world filled with hate, greed, segregration and racism. Now imagine a good portion of this world, with these beliefs, posess some type of supernatural ability. This is what Zoe, her friends and family fight to end during this crazy journey for seeking justice, ending the tyranny, and above all doing what in their hearts they know to be right.

Mixed into the story is the love that grows between Zoe and her Guardian, Icarus, which is illegal. Just as her birth parents love was illegal. Th
Carmski Pescod
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Zoe doesn't fit in in the town where she lives, unexplainable things happened all through her life & she as always felt alone & an outcast. Then one day her whole life changes when she is captured & thrown into an asylum, here she discovers there is a kind of magic, the "inmates" have special abilities & so does Zoe. From here she becomes part of the group & discovers there is a whole different world.
This is a really good story & is a change from shifters & vampires. There is lots of different c
Kathi
Week 27 of the 2015 Reading Challenge: Book You Can Read In A Day.

The book was OK. It's a YA one so it was an easy read but I felt some of it was inappropriate for it's target audience. The main character was supposed to be in her mid 20's but acted like she was 16 so that was a bit annoying.It would be interesting to read more about these otherworldly characters - not your typical paranormals as they weren't werewolves, vampires, etc but rather empaths and telekinetics, etc.
Lisa Rayns
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First, I love the title of this book. Throughout the story, I kept thinking of the X-Men. Yes, the X-Men. A team of people with powers pulled together into a school to develop their powers. And interesting powers they are. The lively characters carry this intriguing plot forward as it unfolds with plenty of exciting action scenes and surprises. It’s a fun and entertaining ride!
Tephra
Jun 21, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: will-not-finish
I found the main character's reactions to events to be unbelievable and her actions to be inconsistent with her stated age. I eventually reached a point where I just didn't like anyone, least of all the main character, and I don't see a point in forcing myself to finish a book that I just can't like.
Kyra Dunst
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good story, with paranormal creatures, special abilities and evil plots of world domination. Zoe was pretty strong, quickly at tuning to her circumstances and taking charge. Icarus and Todd were both worthy of her attention, but I am glad to see how their relationships turned out.
Wendi
Mar 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, romance
So a girl I work with is best friends with the author and lent me her books. I really like the world and characters for the book. This is defiantly a first book for Stephens. It has a lot of adult content.
Julianna
Really loved this one! my only small complaint was that at times if felt like the heroine just didn't act her age. she was supposed to be 25, and especially at the beginning of the book she acted more like she was in her teens. But overall still really liked it.
Chelsea
Dec 28, 2013
Shelly Pfeiffer
Jun 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
2015 Reading Chal...: Legion of Bats by Shadow Stephens 1 7 Jul 11, 2015 06:10AM
Story telling seems to be a part of my DNA. Since childhood, I made up fantastical characters and brought them to life. Part of it was to escape the turmoils of childhood and some were just for fun. Sitting beside my couch is a constant stack of history, biographies, and compelling fiction, which means I have many overloaded bookshelves. Wouldn't that be great to have a room just full of shelves? ...more

News & Interviews