Start by marking “Joe Vampire (Joe Vampire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Joe Vampire (Joe Vampire, #1)

Joe Vampire (Joe Vampire #1)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  498 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
Hey, folks. I’m Joe, and I’m a vampire – not by choice, mind you, but by accident…a fate-twisting, fang-creating, blood lust-inducing misunderstanding. It started with a group date, a case of mistaken identity and far too many sake bombers, and ended with a ridiculous set of circumstances that I just can’t seem to wrap my head around.

Maybe you can tell: I’m not real happy
Kindle Edition, 1, 310 pages
Published August 1st 2012 by Booktrope Editions (first published January 28th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Joe Vampire, please sign up.
Steven Luna Good question! I have never read the Bill books, but as I understand from the listings, they're a snarky take on genuine supernatural/horror themes.…moreGood question! I have never read the Bill books, but as I understand from the listings, they're a snarky take on genuine supernatural/horror themes. By contrast, Joe is a comedic character study of an average guy going through a ridiculous circumstance, but determined not to let it ruin his life. Other than Joe's vampirism and that of a select few other characters, there's nothing supernatural in the book at all; it's more about him trying to balance out his everyday life while being plagued by the vampire in his blood. Like the cover says, he's just a dude who'll never die, trying to figure out how to live.(less)

Liz
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, funny, vampires
Now, I really thought I was going to enjoy this vampire story so much because the premise of it just sounded so backward and awkward and different. Just how like like things to be. And in all fairness, the writing was good. The idea was good and what little explosive did happen was just all right. I didn’t even mind the structure of the book being presented as Joe Vampire’s blog. Perfectly readable. And no, Joe was not a happy puppy to be a vampire. There wasn’t many things, in fact, that Joe co ...more
Rusty Fischer
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I think probably the coolest thing I have to say about Joe Vampire, and there are a TON of cool things about it, was that it felt real. By that I mean, I honestly believed I was reading a vampire's blog! A blog BY an ACTUAL vampire.

Most vampire books are heavy on the suspension of disbelief, and to quote Peter Griffin you are VERY AWARE that you are reading a vampire BOOK. Not so with Joe Vampire; author Steven Luna makes Joe's journey a very believable, very realistic, very palpable one.

It all
Dusty Craine
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I’m really struggling with how to review Joe Vampire by Steven Luna. It’s fairly easy for me to write a book review but this is made more complicated by the fact that it’s less book than blog. Traditional fiction has a setup, a disaster, a resolution, more disaster, more resolution, etc. There is tension while you wait to find out if your hero or heroine survives or escapes from some crisis but Joe Vampire lacks much of that conflict, with the exception being the end.

It’s hard to worry about Joe
Terri Weitze
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a fun book. Written as blog posts about a regular guy who gets turned into a Vampire and how he deals with all the changes to himself and his life while still trying to live a regular life. The main character is likable and like most people, tends to do a great job undermining his own life more than his change of life status. I liked this book enough to go buy the next two books in the series to see what happens to Joe Vampire next.
Clayton
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The greatest trick Steven Luna ever pulled was convincing the world this was a book about vampires. And, of course, in oh-so-many ways, it is. But in a deeper, more potent level, Joe Vampire is a tale about what makes us human. Through a superb mixture of insightful reflection and blunt force wit, Luna has done something remarkable. The vampire's humanity that Anne Rice strives for in The Vampire Chronicles? He captures it perfectly and smartly in his modern tale of the supernatural everyman. Er ...more
Danielle Young
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Though this book is not my usual type of book, after reading the synopsis I just couldn't pass it up. I love sarcasm, being highly sarcastic myself, and I love a different take on the vampire. And this book did not disappoint, I was wrapped in a nice fluffy sarcastic blanket from the minute I opened the book until the very end. I loved the idea of a blog dispelling the truths of vampirism, but there was a few things that Joe didn't count on, I can't tell you here though because that would spoil ...more
Jen Gilbert
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I think this is the funniest book I've ever read. I literally could not stop laughing. How did I wait so long to read it! So good and entertaining and light. Loved it!
Gale Martin
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a clever book. Voice is super strong, and a bit self deprecating. I have a feeling I'm gong to really like this vampire story.
Ali
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampires, humor
4.5 of 5 Stars

I don't normally, okay ever, pick up a comedic book to read. It's just not my norm. Vampires, however, are very much my norm. I love them, can't get enough of them. Books, movies, television, whatever... if it has vampires there is a really good chance I am going to love it. Or, that was the case up until a couple of years ago, but we won't go into what caused my change. Kristen Stewart/Robert Pattinson

So, when I saw a tweet about Joe Vampire I headed over to Amazon to check out. R
Stephanie
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Have you ever wanted to be a vampire? Who hasn't, right? With vampires like Edward Cullin (Twilight), Eric Northman (True Blood), Selene (Underworld), Aksha (Queen of the Damned), plus many more out there, we either want to be them...or be with them! *wink, wink* What if you didn't have a choice? What if you were just this average, everyday Joe and the choice to become a vampire had been taken from you and turned your somewhat normal life upside down? Well...that is exactly what "Joe Vampire" is ...more
Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
"Joe Vampire" is one of the funnest books I've ever read. Gone is the illusion that vampires are all hot and sexy. Gone is the illusion that they glitter. Gone is the illusion that they have the ability to turn into bats. This book shatters every contemporary vision you might have of a vampire and it does it with grit and humor.

Joe Asher is a thirty-something single guy with a receding hairline, has an ordinary work-a-day job in a typical office where he has a crush on a girl named Chloe, and a
Nerine Dorman
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I took a shine to Joe from the moment I dipped into Joe Vampire, and although the novel is slow-moving, I nonetheless enjoyed Joe’s particular brand of humour, which is unintentional on the character’s part and very nicely expressed on author Steven Luna’s. Certainly the premise of a neurotic Jewish vampire coming to terms with his own “change of life” is a breath of fresh air in an otherwise saturated market.

Joe’s spent most of his life sort of chugging along without really engaging with anyone
Ashlie
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Reading Joe Vampire was the equivalent of reading a blog that was having a conversation directly with me. "What do you mean?" you say. I mean this: From the first paragraphs of the first entry of the blog, in which Joe confesses to the cyber-verse the ins and outs of becoming a vampire and how far removed it is from the fiction that has popularized the undead, he spoke directly at me, and called me out on all my vampire fan bullshit. Yes, I am female between the ages of 14 and 42. Yes, I'm a fan ...more
Lou
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Until I read Songs From The Phenomenal Nothing, I had never read any of the books written by Steven Luna. I got to read Songs From The Phenomenal Nothing as part of the ARC. I therefore told Steven Luna that I had not read any of his previous books and He was Awesome enough to gift a copy of both Joe Vampire books to me! Totally Awesome!!!

So now I've read Joe Vampire and I have to give it 5 stars out of 5 stars. The book is so cool. I thoroughly enjoyed it and couldn't wait to start book 2.

Steve
Geeks Unleashed.Me
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read review & interview with Steven Luna at Geeks Unleashed.Me

Joe Vampire... a solid novel. And it's not so much a novel, really, as it is a... blog. Steven Luna chose to tell the story of Joe Vampire through the words of a vampire blog, and it was all very... brilliant, actually.

I found it to be kind of... gross, at times - the whole vampirism thing (in Luna's eyes) told from a realistic, man point of view. But it was very real, I mean Joe was this real kind of guy - not some romantic sap o
Allie Burke
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Joe Vampire is a wonderfully hilarious novel about a regular guy living through vampirism suckery. Being a vampire is not as glamourous as they make it out to be in All Those Teen Novels, and Joe is basically having the worst day, week, year...ever.

The perspective in which the story is told is quite brilliant; the blog is a unique way for Joe to be himself without the overly exaggerated angst we find in traditionally-told supernatural/paranormal novels, and it works in Joe Vampire. It just flow
jD
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Joe's story about how he became and vampire and what the change did to his everyday, typical life. This guy is really and truly an average Joe. The story is told as a blog so there is only's Joe's perspective of things but that was enough. Mostly Joe found the most humorous way to share his daily struggle but after awhile, the pain came through. Joe is not having a wonderful after-life. Things are happening to his body -- longer ears, canines keep growing back no matter how many times ...more
Angie
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ha! This book had me cracking up.

Joe starts a blog to talk about how he turned into a vampire, and what he is going through to adjust to this huge change in his life. He starts by letting us all know its not all sparkly and sexy.

I really enjoyed this book, but there where a few times when it just seemed to drag a little to me (hence why only four stars). I would actually think to stop reading the book in general but then something would happen that would have me cracking up again so I would cont
Charlene
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
What would you do if you woke up one morning and found yourself among the living dead? Try to make the best of it? Tell your loved ones? Start a blog?

Joe Vampire is the story of an average guy and how his life is rocked by one small mistake that turns him into a vampire and his attempt to continue a semi-normal life in spite of it, told in blog format.

I liked Joe and his story. It's funny as much as sad as you read about his mini-misadventures and mistakes, often in bulleted lists. After I fini
Joseph
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Poor Joe

This is a funny telling of a vampire story with fun twists on the lore. On a very bad blind date Joe finds himself infected, but nothing that a shot of penicillin is going to cure. With no one to help him discover the nature of his affliction, Joe has to rely on trial and error to keep himself undead, his parents happy, his friends friendly, his music career alive and his girlfriend from leaving him. He also has a job.

The book is full of interesting takes on the vampire lifestyle and h
Eyehavenofilter
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampire, arc
Ive had this on my kindle for ages, and I forgot about it until today....wow! what took me so long?
Brutal, and bawdy, this well constructed tale by Joe, a vampire, who "lets us in " to his wild ride of a life(?) as an undead....
Joe's story is in blog form, very appropriate for this day and age. Unlike "Twitlite" this seems steeped in reality, and flew by,
inches from my brain, like that famous chainsaw being wielded by the psycho in the"Texas Chainsaw Massacre".
I felt like I had to jump out of
Rose
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm not surprised that I loved this book because I know Steven Luna is a very talented writer. I don't usually read books about vampires but felt I needed to give this one a try because of Steven's writing style. I felt like I really got to know Joe and found myself agonizing over his issues. This book was written with such wit and humor in all the right places. Steven's mastery of words and telling a story is amazing. This book is a must read....even for non vampire lovers.
Adrienne
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Funny witty sarcastic a fun read that had me laughing out loud. Not cool not hip not sexy not ready for dating or new dietary demands Joe finds being turned into a vampire is an unpleasent complication. Written in the form of a whinging blog of all the noisesome irrations of his new life with a snarky wit that is most entertaining. A fresh apporach to the vampire story that I can highly reccomend to anyone tired of sparkly teens with an overbite.
Jerry
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Besides the great writing, what moved this book into the 5 star category was the creative twist in the plot. The unique perspective of an unvoluntary vampire struggling to find his fit in the world. At first I wondered if the blog post style of the book was just a plot device that would become wear on me, but Steve's workcraft kept it fresh and engaging. I highly recommend this book, especially to any of you, like me, who don't read vampire books because everyone else does.
PJ Lea
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No sparkles!

Joe is such an understated guy, no mess, no fuss, simply telling it like it is.
I enjoyed reading this, the ups and downs, the disasters and the triumphs. I liked the simplicity of the story too, told in a down to earth way.
I'm especially glad there were none of those ridiculous sparkly vampires and soppy, inconceivable love scenes. Thanks for that, Mr Luna.
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jennifer by: Heidi
I think this book was very well written and I was a huge fan of the humor and sarcasm!! I would totally read it again and definitely recommend it to anyone who is into the whole vampire thing :-) Good read.
Eryn
Dec 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Very interesting concept writing it as a blog. It made it feel very real. It was very well written and believable. Would recommend.
Austyn Faulkner
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was the funniest thing I have read in a long time. I had to stop reading it at work because I couldnt explain the all the laughter coming from my office.
George Grayson
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really could not put this book down. It was funny and a bit insightful at the same time. The author presented information in a funny and challenging way. I actually empathized with the vampire.
Caroline Stewart
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It was cute - although I get the feeling that the vampire bubble has already burst, it was still quite entertaining.
  • Slimy Underbelly (Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I. #4)
  • Scattered (The Nevermore Trilogy, #3.5)
  • Dark Legion (The Lockman Chronicles #2)
  • Desolation
  • Doctor Who Encyclopedia
  • Dark Child (the Awakening): Episode 1 (Dark Child, #1.1)
  • The Stadium (The Peeling, #2)
  • Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter (Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter Book 1)
  • Follow Me Through Darkness (Boundless, #1)
  • King of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #3)
  • Crawl
  • Fat Vampire (Fat Vampire, #1)
  • Fistful of Reefer (Lost DMB Files #17)
  • Savaging the Dark
  • Sire (The Vampires of St. Troy, #1)
  • Cat's Paw
  • Desperate and Dateless (Montague Vampires, #0.5)
  • Shenanigans!
Steven Luna likes making things up on a daily basis. This biography, though factual, is one of those things. He's the author of the absurdly humorous Joe Vampire series for grown-ups, the heart-wrenchingly serious Songs from the Phenomenal Nothing for almost-grown-ups, and the magical realism tale Starfire and the Miracle Tree for readers of all ages. Simeon Croom and the Treasure Star, his new co ...more
More about Steven Luna

Joe Vampire (4 books)
  • The Afterlife (Joe Vampire, #2)
  • The New Paranormal (Joe Vampire, #3)
  • The Alpha Bet (Joe Vampire)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)