Start by marking “Pulchritude” as Want to Read:
Pulchritude

Read eBook

Pulchritude

Experience a darker side of "The Beauty and the Beast" where, in a world of vindictive fairies and scornful magicians, not everyone will live happily ever after. Pulchritude tells the tale of Bella, a beautiful girl caught between her selfish father and an enchanted prince ready to sweep her into a dangerous romance built on deception and betrayal.

This debut novel by
Published February 19th 2012 by Acacia Moon Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Pulchritude, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pulchritude

Start your review of Pulchritude
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
Disclaimer: Received a free copy from author for review.

I was reading this last night, instead of during my workout as I had been doing, because it was later in the evening and I didn't want to start anything new. I had nearly 100 pages left, by my ebook count, so I wasn't expecting to finish it.

But then, suddenly, it was over.

See, what I didn't realize is that of the 250 pages listed on my nook, only 163 of them are actually story. The rest is author notes, discussions about character
Caleb Blake
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Cross-posted from Papyrus Independent Author Reviews (http://papyrus.calebblake.net/2012/04/06/pulchritude-by-ana-mardoll/)

A young prince is cursed by a capricious fairy; a young beauty is exchanged for her father’s life, and only a love willing to sacrifice all will result in a happy ending.

Pulchritude is a retelling of the story of Beauty and the Beast and author Ana Mardoll’s first novel. The plot itself is not an attempt to create a faithful facsimile of the original story. Mardoll uses the
Lindley Walter-smith
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've read so many retellings of Beauty and the Beast that i thought that all that could be said already had. This one, though, is something special - especially in the complex characterisation, the multiple viewpoints, and the understanding that this is a story about a girl taught to please men and sacrificed by her father to a husband who needs her for his own happy ending. It's enthralling, and ultimately devastating.

Nearly the last hundred pages of the book are notes and dicussions about the
Aves
Feb 28, 2012 marked it as abandoned
Disclaimer: I got a free promotional copy of this book from Ana's blog, which I visit regularly.

With that said, I've got to admit something: I didn't finish reading Pulchritude. It turns out that it just wasn't my type of story. That isn't to say that it was a bad story. It just wasn't my cup of tea. And so, because I didn't read enough to feel that I got a firm grasp of the plot and the characters (the pictures were gorgeous, though, and they were a wonderful touch), I'll refrain from rating
Jeania
Mar 24, 2012 added it
I learned a new word. It actually sounds like quite its opposite at least to me, but Pulchritude, the title of this novella, is a synonym to “beauty.”

And just as that harsh sounding word means something completely different than one may think, the novella itself is also an anti-fairy tale, an alternate retelling of Beauty and the Beast.

Born perhaps of her popular deconstructions and a keen understanding of tropes and literary stereotypes, Mardoll has riffed on a well-known story with her on
Sophia
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is it a wonderful, interesting, and unique retelling of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. There is also an academic essay in the back of the book on the history and themes of the tale, which I very much enjoy!
Madeline
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult
A sad and short retelling of Beauty and the Beast. It is not bad for a debut novel. Support an indie author and check it out.
S
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A desperately maudlin retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Full of flawed people. The tell retold stripped of all the whimsy, the brutality laid bare. Brilliant!
Angela Delgado
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've been following the author on her blog for quite a while and was very eagerly anticipating this release. Ana Mardoll takes apart the tale of Beauty and the Beast, back behind the Disney movie that we all think of first, back to its first roots as a social commentary (as well-discussed in the afterword) and builds it up again into a delicately-crafted and wholly believable story.

It's a coming-together of a cast of flawed characters: a powerful, irresponsible fairy whose only interest is her
Kristen N.
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you are wanting to read the typical Disney, happily ever after Beauty and the Beast then Pulchritude by author Ana Mardoll is not the book for you. If you are like me and like stories that are not always the happily ever afters then you will enjoy Pulchritude. Ana Mardoll shows great talent in her writing by making the characters her own and bringing them to life. I really enjoyed the fact Ana Mardoll has links in throughout the book to words such as Pulchritude and fata to their meaning for ...more
Andrew
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
A refreshing and intelligent re-telling of Beauty and the Beast. Wonderful characterizations lend this novel complexity beyond the classic fairy tale.

I found the character portraits at the end extremely insightful; they give a glimpse into how much care and thought authors put into writing these works for their readers. Also included was the author's fascinating deconstruction of the classic fairy tale.

I look forward to reading the next novel by Ana Mardoll!
Anthea Carson
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book so much, I was sorry to see it end. It is the retelling in novel form of one of my favorite fairy tales, The Beauty and The Beast. I love fairy tales anyway, and this retelling did not disappoint. It held my interest to the very end. This is Ana's first novel, and I hope very much, not the last. Ana is one of the top reviewers on Amazon, and you can see clearly from her book that she knows writing. I say, keep up the good work Ana! You will have many fans.
Victoria
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
This book resonated with me so strongly I have a hard time describing it. It was beautiful and powerful and heartbreaking. The characters came to life vividly through the author's strong voice and beautiful prose. They felt very real in their flaws, fears, desires, hopes, and failings. Although the story is ultimately a tragedy, it doesn't end on a hopeless note. Rather, I was left with the bittersweet reminder that human beings are capable of both terrible and beautiful things.
Elizabeth
Jun 07, 2012 marked it as to-read
I'm not in the right frame of mind for this right now. I will return to it though. I think the writing is bit heavy handed but it's unique and definitely worth a second shot. I was surprised and found the first character I met to be edgy and powerful. This is an interesting plus...
Nicole Chase
Aug 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fairy-tale-remix
An interesting take on a classic fairy tale. I didn't realize the original story was a critique of the author's society, and Ana Mardoll's engaging update makes it one of ours.
Jillian -always aspiring-
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who enjoy "Beauty and the Beast" yet recognize its problematic elements
(Actual Rating: 3.5 stars)
Lady Delacour
An enchanted retailing of the classic, Beauty and the Beast.
Stephanie
Jan 30, 2013
Marta
Jul 05, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

• I Like That About Her (I Like That About Her #1)
  • Survival Quest (The Way of the Shaman, #1)
  • The Scorpio Races
  • The Chaos of Standing Still
  • The Brightsiders
  • The Greatest Love Story Ever Told
  • A Study in Scarlet Women (Lady Sherlock, #1)
  • The Wonder Engine (Clocktaur War #2)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1)
  • A Conspiracy in Belgravia (Lady Sherlock, #2)
  • Gratitude Works!: A Twenty-One-Day Program for Creating Emotional Prosperity