Start by marking “The Priest (Ginecean Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Priest (Ginecean Chronicles, #1)

The Priest

(Ginecean Chronicles #1)

Mauricio is a slave. Like any man born on Ginecea, he is but a number for the pure breed women who rule over him with cruel hands. Imprisoned inside the Temple since birth, Mauricio has never been outside, never felt the warmth of the sun on his skin. He lives a life devoid of hopes and desires. Then one day, he hears Rosie sing. He risks everything for one look at her and ...more
Kindle Edition, First Edition, 174 pages
Published February 4th 2012 by Monica La Porta

Start your review of The Priest (Ginecean Chronicles, #1)
Flora Smith
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book for review.

This book was amazing! One of the best that I have read in quite some time.

Mauricio lives in a world where men are slaves and women rule. The women are divided into two classes: those that give birth to women and those that give birth two men (these are fathered women who are little better than slaves). The religion of this world has brainwashed everyone into believing that men are not required for procreation when in reality it is all
Javier Robayo
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is, hands down, one of the best books I've ever read. Mauricio's plight as a slave, brutally abused and treated no better than a somewhat useful animal, made me realize just how much I take my freedom for granted. Seeing life through his eyes made me run outside at times, just to dispel the feelings evoked on the page. Monica La Porta does an incredible job of putting the reader right in Mauricio's mind, where you're subjected to an emotional journey that will leave you in tatters because ...more
M.G. Wells
Future Slayer Girl
This book had one of the most unique and promising premises in dystopian.

Unfortunately, the plot got lost in a horrible execution.

So, let me give you the basic run down.

This is a 'planet' that we are told nothing about, where it is located in relation to Earth. That has deemed marriage between male and female as a perversion. At this point I was totally with the author. I wanted to see an outstanding, epic story, of two people that said 'f--k you!' to the law and started to make a change.

Did
Elise Stokes
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopian
The Priest took me hostage for 24-hours. If I wasn't reading late into the night or stealing moments to read during the day, I was-- and still am-- thinking about this captivating tale.

Mauricio is a compassionate and intelligent young man who had been born a slave in a society ruled by women. His life is lonely and hopeless behind the walls of The Temple, the confines of which he hadn't been outside of his entire life. But he is resigned. He was born into slavery and would die in sla
Vered
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Mauricio is a man, and therefore a slave. Rosie is the President’s daughter in a society where women do not befriend men. The Priest by Monica La Porta is the story of what happens when two people break social taboos and fight against the laws and norms that keep them apart.

What I loved: Original and beautifully written. Vivid descriptions but not heavy handed. Great world building. I felt completely immersed in the believable and highly unorthodox society of Rosie and Mauricio. Some
2 Girls 1 Book
Jul 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Heather 2/5

The Priest takes place in a futuristic setting, where the union between a man and a women is considered perversion. The men are kept as slaves and are considered lower than dogs by the cruel women. Young Mauricio has been in captivity his entire life and is used as a semental (sperm donor) when he hears beautiful singing and becomes infatuated with Rosie, the presidents daughter.

The story has some pretty amazing potential, the plot is unique and imaginative. Th
Jaime
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love and freedom, these are the feelings that keep Mauricio and Rosie fighting for a chance in life, Monica La Porta, thank you for writing it, I enjoyed this book.
Ramona Plant
Sep 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
The Priest is a dystopian book that based the slavery on gender, written by Monica La Porta. The book is overall not poorly written, Editorial there are no errors that I really noticed and overall it had a decent flow. What was never really explained is how the women came to rule, because let's face it physically they are still the weaker sex so they have to use weapons and tools to get the upper hand for the most part. The story line was a tad simplistic and one dimensional lacking depth especi ...more
Leandra
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Aw man. The worldbuilding in this novel was so promising and was so intriguing at the beginning but just fell so flat. I feel like there wasn't really any plot, the characters all very one-dimensional and the only exciting thing that happened in this book was the Priest and Rosie instantly falling in love.
Cheshire Cat
If your a HEA only reader, pass this by. It's a good story with interesting characters in a possible apocalyptic world (they don't go into it really). While it's a complete story it just left me feeling empty and I'm not a fan of that. I'm hoping that if one were to continue the chronicles the feeling would change.
Jason Graves
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lying in the a cell with three other men, Mauricio's dreams are small: enough space to stretch out and enough food to fill him. Neither is likely to happen at the same time, for space only comes with solitary confinement, and solitary confinement means no food. What crime did Mauricio commit to condemn him to such a lowly state?

He was born a man.

Thus begins The Ginecean Chronicles by Monica La Porta, an entertaining and thought-provoking tale of a society where Pure Breed
Shalini Ayre
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Priest - Monica La Porta

Mauricio has been a slave all his life. Living in a world where women rule the world, his only role is one of as a 'semental' - a sperm donor. In comparison to the other slaves who toil the land, his life is marginally better. Although he doesn't think so as he has never left the confines of his cell.

Desperate to be released from his duty he mourns his loss of freedom when one day he hears Rosie - a pure breed. Her dulcet tones makes him believ
Marina
Jun 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Mauricio is a slave. He is a man, and all men on Ginecea are slaves. Women rule the world. Mauricio has been a slave his entire life. He knows nothing more than the four walls around him and the chain on his neck. He is semental, kept just as a sperm donor, because women cannot get pregnant by themselves. And one day he hears Rosie sings. Her voice is a hope for him. He doesn't know her, but listening her voice gives him hope that life is beautiful, that there is more out there for him. Rosie ta ...more
Serene
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Doreen
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Monica La Porta is an author that I consider to be quite gutsy. In ‘The Priest,’ she has cleverly crafted a story that is unique in its delivery of diverse points of view. Gender distinction in marriage has become an increasingly passionate topic in our world, especially in the U.S. where it has reached the Supreme Court level. The author takes on this hot topic and turns it upside down in story form.

Throughout my read, I found myself caught up in the intricacies of the storyline its
Monica
I was deeply intrigued when I started this book. It has everything I could want in a story: a ruling class, a mistreated slave, a high-born girl who is only looking for love, and hope for those brave enough to rebel against society in order to make their lives happier. I was also disappointed in this book.

There is huge potential here. Set in a future dystopian society where women rule everything, the only sanctioned marriages are between women, and men who are only good as slave labo
Angela
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was an interesting opening for Monica La Porta's Ginecean Chronicles....

On the planet Ginecea, women rule with an iron fist, and the men are all enslaved. While most of the men are used for field labor, a certain selection of them that pass the grade are used for breeding purposes, although only for more men and "fathered women", who are considered a lesser class that the "pure breeds" who go to the priestess to be impregnated via a mysterious ritual.

Mauricio is one
G.R.
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
With so many stories that attempt to make true love seem complicated, it's refreshing to read something that proves that it is one of the most simple things a human will ever experience - and almost certainly the most powerful.

In 'The Priest (The Ginecean Chronicles #1)', Monica La Porta does a fantastic job of creating a society that seems to be the opposite of reality and then proving that it's a lot more like the world we live in than we'd like to admit.

The characters
Ottilie
Oct 15, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5
Men, you can't live with them, and you can't live without them. Moncia La Porta explores this notion a step further in her distopian novel where men are slaves and used for sperm donations for a women only world. Mauricio is a different man, who wants to question his surroundings, he wants something more for not only himself, but future generations.

The Priest will have readers thinking, and I'm curious on what a man's opinion would be of this story. It is well written, flows
Kasey Cocoa
Sep 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-requested
Certainly a topic far from the norm or popular sort; credit is due for a novel nearly void of grammar mistakes and other typographical errors. The plot is interesting and holds plenty of potential, but overall it feels dispassionate. The characters lack fleshing out making them difficult to connect with and the choices they make are often a bit hard to swallow as natural to who they are. There is no passion, no gripping emotions to draw the reader in and keep them turning pages. While the world ...more
Daragh
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a relatively quick read, but my little boy kept me reading it SLOWLY! Ok, so it's set in a dystopian androgynist society where men are slaves and women all-powerful. The writing is very good though I think the build-up to his love of Rosie is a little slow and in fact the book is strangely most compelling at the end when there are a few big time-shifts and a lot is told in the past tense. It would be cheating in any other book but works here. Mauricio is a likeable, love-struck character ...more
Sharon Phelps
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Can love conquer all?

I was captivated almost from the first paragraph. To take a world so intriguing as a this one where men are slaves and women are the dominant culture and to make it work so well, totally intrigued me. I have seen it done in various ways but never so skillfully weaved together. The story of the slave used solely for his sperm and the beautiful and powerful daughter of the highest ranking woman in the world coming into contact, falling in love and ultimately becoming the
Gary Henry
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
While it could use a bit more description in a place or two, Monica's depiction of a male slave in the "system" of a hard-core matriarchy from the slave's point of view is solid gold. She's stripped away the sexual fantasy and showed it with the ring of gritty reality. This alone is easily worth the price of the book. Her vivid tale of love in a time of oppression is a compelling story for both its fascinating reversal of dominance between men and women and its two wonderfully drawn main charact ...more
Liz
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
The first 11 chapters of the book were satisfying, but suddenly ten years passed without even a "ten years later". The main character had a new name, a completely new setting, and no compelling narrative as to how he got there, only summary.

Just as suddenly another five years passed and two of the characters unceremoniously died in the meantime.

The broken narrative was very unsatisfying and explained by the afterword: the novel was written for NaNoWriMo and the author did
Bridget
Oct 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Very different world in Ginecea. Men are slaves, all men. Women rule and it is considered very wrong to be with a man. The one thing I found to be most interesting was the slave mentality of the men. I don't know any other way to say it. The men could most likely have overpowered the women but it has been bred into them to be subservient. I would like to read how the women came to rule in the first place; was it always like this? The ending was kind of sad, but it is all back story for the book ...more
Stacey
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Priest by Monica La Porta is a great book. The best elements of story are there - language, character, dialogue, and emotion. The tale is riveting - the character of the slave Mauricio nabs the reader on page 1 and doesn't let go until the last page. I left this book wanting to know more about what happens. I immediately went and bought another book in the series, and I will go read The Priest again. This is great work by a great author.
Kimberly C. Winslow
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Exploration of humanity in a different setting and the pitfalls that go with it.

Humanity through history has proven its proclivity for violence, slavery, and the ability to be blind when it suits them. This is far from a happy story but still people persevered through all that was thrown at them. This exploration just shows that no matter how the society is set up, as long as it's inhabitants are human there will be no utopia.
Annamaria
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love mostly mysteries, historical fiction, and travel novels, so I was nervous about this book. But I was also very curious, because my friend wrote it. I was pleasantly surprised about it: I loved the story, the characters, and the thinking it got me into. We can really be horrible to our fellow humans, if we think they are different. I was impressed by how well the book is written and I loved recognizing my friend's soul in her writing.
Roe Valentine
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm not into dystopian stories, but this one really hooked me. I was so emotionally involved with Mauricio that I was hanging on every word. I really wanted Rosie to show up after all those years, I prayed that she would. Seriously. This is a beautiful story showing that love can come out of the most impossible situations. I absolutely loved it.
Monica La Porta landed in Seattle several years ago. Despite popular feelings about the Northwest weather, she finds the mist and the rain the perfect conditions to write.

Ginecean Chronicles (4 books)
  • Pax in the Land of Women (The Ginecean Chronicles, #2)
  • Prince at War (Ginecean Chronicles, #3)
  • Marie's Journey