Start by marking “She Who Loves Her Father” as Want to Read:
She Who Loves Her Father

She Who Loves Her Father

SHE WHO LOVES HER FATHER follows the afterlife of Cleopatra, Queen of Egypt, while examining her love life, the power-play between siblings, and the burial rituals of her people--the art of preservation in tombs, crypts, vaults, and jars. Sphinxes, the Nile, pyramids, Isis all make their appearance in this delightful little collection of poetry.

To read Wi
Published June 16th 2012 by Dancing Girl Press

To ask other readers questions about She Who Loves Her Father, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She Who Loves Her Father

Start your review of She Who Loves Her Father
Tom Pintong
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this as part of Goodreads First Reads program.

Aesthetically, the book has a nice design on the front of the book, and I just found the presentation of the poems themselves to be interesting, which added to my enjoyment of the experience.

I have to say up front that I usually don't go out of my way to read poetry, preferring prose for my reading. But Ms. Wiseman's offerings each told a story, painting vivid images that I enjoyed visualizing greatly. I'd go into m
Laura Wiseman
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
She Who Loves Her Father follows the afterlife of Cleopatra, Queen of Egypt, while examining her love life, the power-play between siblings, and the burial rituals of her people--the art of preservation in tombs, crypts, vaults, and jars. Sphinxes, the Nile, pyramids, and Isis all make their appearance in this delightful little collection of poetry.

Cover art by Elayne Safir at http://emptyminute.com

To read Laura Madeline Wiseman’s collection is to live inside an echo, a series of glances that won’t let you go.
Kristen Fisher
Laura Wiseman composes a series of memories of not only past but a past that whether you are connected to it or not, you can't help but be drawn into it's power. A similar reality of emotion that allows the reader to convey his/her own side of the here-say. Combing the history of an Egyptian society cradles the everyday life of certain people, events and objects that corners us in the darkened rooms with bruises. She Who Loves Her Father boarders all the angles we are connected to in life, wheth ...more
Sarah Holz
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, womens-lit

This collection is a study in contrasts where the past is the present, only to become the past again when you catch it in an alternate light. The last queen of Egypt winds herself in her mummy wrappings, only to unravel the bindings to take a telephone call or cruise the internet. Shadows of who she was or might have been in a different time or place flicker in and out, though she is past being able to alter the outcomes. But every poem exudes the almost liquid murkiness that you find in the be
Carla Peele
Jul 21, 2012 rated it liked it
I won this on a giveaway, and first off: I have to say that the front illustration is just gorgeous, and that is what drew me to the book in the first place.

Second, when you read this small collection of poems, you do not feel as if you are in a clinical, classroom type setting, but in a smoky coffee-house, surrounded by women (or womyn) snapping their fingers enthusiastically.

My especial favorite was "Where it Ends", as this one evoked the most visual stimulation from me.
Mary McMyne
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Layered collection of poems that bears rereading. From e-mails to the dead to Egyptian mythology, this chapbook is entertaining and unique. Very narrative, with more world-building than you usually find in a chapbook. A satisfying puzzle of a read.
Pooja Jain
May 20, 2014
adamwagler
Feb 25, 2012
Kristy Bowen
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Reinalyn Libanan
Loveliest Evaris
Apr 08, 2012
Karla
Apr 14, 2012
Laura Madeline Wiseman's latest books are Velocipede, published by Stephen F. Austin State University Press and Through A Certain Forest published by BlazeVOX [books]. Her collaboratively written chapbook with Andrea Blythe, Every Girl Becomes the Wolf is forthcoming from Finishing Line Press.

She is also the author of the full length collections of poetry An Apparently Impossible Adventure (BlazeVOX [books], 2016)