Start by marking “Fifteen Poems” as Want to Read:
Fifteen Poems

Fifteen Poems

This selection of poems by Leonard Cohen, one of the most acclaimed singer-songwriters in the world, is accompanied by twenty-four of his striking and provocative drawings.

Cohen first made his name as a poet more than half a century ago and since then his achievements in poetry and music have made him an internationally revered figure. These fifteen poems, including “Death
Published February 14th 2012 by Alfred A. Knopf

To ask other readers questions about Fifteen Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fifteen Poems

Start your review of Fifteen Poems
Dhivyaa
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Let men numb names
scratch winds that blow
listen to the stories
but what you know you know

And knowing is enough
for mountains such as these
where nothing long remains
houses walls or trees

In the recent episode of This is Us, Nicky and Jack during their younger days bonded over Leonard Cohen's songs.
"Cohen is not a songwriter, he is a poet.
His songs-- poems."

This is my first book of Leonard Cohen. Haven't listened to much of his songs. Only have heard of his love story from the letter he wrote --
"Know
Tina
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
His poems, his drawings, although not new to me, always shadow my steps towards new emotions, new discoveries, new ways of gazing upon the world.
Kumar
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you are only familiar with Leonard Cohen through his songs, (or if you are not familiar with him at all - in which case you should go use YouTube) this Kindle Single is an easy introduction to his poetry. Fifteen Poems collects some of his most accessible poetry from his various books. The recontextualization from putting poems written in different decades together gives the meanings a slight variation - i guess. I mean, it surprisingly works as a collection. Also, the single has drawings by ...more
Alexánder Obando
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Evertthing was true.

Everything that has been said about him is true. At times a minor poet. At times a master. "You Have the Lovers" is probably his best work in this collection. That is when he reaches unparalleled heights.
Abiesha Smith
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-iperson, poetry
Multifaceted

While a number of these poems were enjoyable and relatable, I will still dwell deeply and preferably in Leonard Cohen’s musical melodies.

Nevertheless:

“When you call me close to tell me your body is not beautiful I want to summon the eyes and hidden mouths of stone and light and water to testify against you.”
Camilla
Nov 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canadian, ebooks, poetry

Fifteen Poems tracks Leonard Cohen's work throughout his career, from Let Us Compare Mythologies in 1956 to Stranger Music, published 1993. His earlier work is represented far more widely than his later, but the poem choices are good; they show the growth of his writing while also being enjoyable poems in their own right. However, this is not a "best of" collection. Despite the subjective nature of poetry I can guarantee few would call this Cohen's finest. My personal favorite in the collection

John Eliot
Oct 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Let's make it clear, if I could only take on CD/LP to a desert island it would be by Leonard Cohen. And then I would have diffficutly choosing which. I have seen him on all his tours since 1974.
I don't rate him as a poet on paper though and I think there are better collections than this 'greatest hits' of poems. There are a couple which are excellent. The illustrations for the most part are very good. But if you are to buy a collection of his verse, then maybe something like Energy of Slaves.
Jo
James
Nov 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, poetry, music
Cheap and cheerful ebook of a few of Cohen's poems (not songs). As such, it encourages a quick and shallow reading. I wasn't grabbed by much in here, but one included here may grab me properly when I go through Stranger Things, the selected works I picked up. (I think also, I've been reading a lot of complex poetry recently, so Cohen's style seems a bit limp by comparison. I hope to get back to it soon, hopefully with a clearer head.)
Lois
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Slightly disappointed that this was a selection of previously published poems rather than new ones (my mistake!), but enjoyed the arrangement and particularly the addition of illustrations, one of which included a poem that I preferred over all the ones included in the text itself—'The lie in what's holy, the light in what's not'...
Phillip
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leonard Cohen poetry

Cohen was a poet before he was a singer. He wrote beautiful and memorable songs but it was always his words that grabbed me. This little anthology is a sweet introduction to Cohen the poet and artist.
Karsten
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Way more personal pronouns than actual personality here. Except in the drawings, which I enjoyed, especially the one with guitars buried in snow in front of a row of townhouses. Some of the poems nail their images, too: 'The windy sky's a locket for your hair...'
Simon Sweetman
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this small selection of poems; had read them before across the anthologies and original volumes but a nice grouping of a small selection - designed for Kindle - and paired up with some previously unseen drawings.
Rachel Phillips
I just don't get poetry.
Terri
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
I like some of his songs and the artwork but not these poems - too dark for me.
Kent Winward
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a nice introduction to a broad time section of Cohen's poetry. Whoever was in charge of the selection did an excellent job.

Not to mention you get some of his drawings.
Caroline
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Sadly, love of someone's music does not translate into love of someone's poetry. I could read his lyrics for days.
Ahouse4biswas
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Enjoyed the illustrations included in this ebook, however some of the poetry rendered me slightly uncomfortable.
L.D.
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite poets and singers. His words pierce and I'm always left wanting more.
a.caley
Kenous Carrington
Apr 06, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Colossus and Other Poems
  • Fringe: Beyond the Fringe (Fringe, #3)
  • The City of Shifting Waters (Valérian and Laureline, #1)
  • The Witch in the Wood (The Once and Future King, #2)
  • Kill Someone
  • The House on the Borderland
  • Suspect Red
  • On Love and Barley: Haiku of Basho
  • The Sword in the Stone (The Once and Future King, #1)
  • Lorca/Blackburn: Poems of Federico García  Lorca
  • Rumi: Poems
  • The Deep
  • Lunch Poems
  • All My Friends Are Dead
  • War of the Foxes
  • War All the Time
  • The Shadow Within
  • The Love Poems of D.H. Lawrence (Poetry)
Leonard Norman Cohen was a Canadian singer-songwriter, poet and novelist. Cohen published his first book of poetry in Montreal in 1956 and his first novel in 1963.

Cohen's earliest songs (many of which appeared on the 1968 album Songs of Leonard Cohen) were rooted in European folk music melodies and instrumentation, sung in a high baritone. The 1970s were a musically restless period in which his in