Start by marking “House of Corruption” as Want to Read:
House of Corruption

House of Corruption

In 1890s New Orleans, three unusual men cross paths: Reynard LaCroix, his lycanthropy in remission with a silver bullet lodged against his heart; Artémius Savoy, a lapsed secular priest keeping vigil over Reynard's progress; and Mahonri Grant, a Mormon gunslinger on the run.

Brought together by murder, united in a common cause, they pursue an unholy creature to save a young
Published May 31st 2012 by Valour Designs Books (first published February 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about House of Corruption, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House of Corruption

Start your review of House of Corruption
Navessa
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of classic horror
*EVEN BETTER THE SECOND TIME AROUND*

I read this book in hopes that it would be terrifying because I needed a reset in between those that I normally read. I came across it by accident, read the book blurb, and hoped it would fry the fluff from my synapses and give me the reset I so desperately needed. I figured it would be a quick, easy read with some grammatical errors and story-flow issues because it’s an independent pub.

The frigging thing is over 300 pages long and has fewer typos than books
David Sven
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I really hope these good reviews aren't from your groupie/rent-a-crowd/harass-a-family fan club. I'll be most upset if I don't lose control of my bladder somewhere before the end.

I'm always a bit dubious when trying out most self published authors because in most cases they haven't mastered basic word craft and I really hate telling struggling authors starting out that their basic prose and word craft just aren't up to speed. I also really hate people gushing over work that's clearly under par -
Molly
CLASSIC HORROR!

description

"The wicked are wicked, no doubt, and they go astray and they fall … but who can tell the mischief which the very virtuous do?"
William Makepeace Thackeray

... and so it starts....

Didn't get such feels since 'Salem's Lot !

If you picked up this book with the sole knowledge that it's about werewolves and vampires, and you are accustomed (as are many) to their popular depictions in modern literature, you will be either gratified or disappointed by this book. There are no hot
Erik Tavares
Mar 04, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this, so this is a self-centered, vain, biased plug. I'm not ashamed.

If you like gothic horror with a touch of Sherlock Holmes and a sprinkling of Indiana Jones, this is for you.

Visit the office of Artémius Savoy at http://www.valourdesigns.com/#!__savo... to learn secrets behind dark dealings best left unsaid...
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
First, this book has a very good summary. It tells you a lot and at the same time nothing at all about the story.

Second, I cannot believe this is the first book this author has written. I mean, I've seen more mistakes in books written by accomplished authors. Here, I don't think there are more than a few. The descriptions ('Ivy choked the house’s ruined face, the windows either broken or boarded over' is just one example of succinct writing) and the imagery of horrible events and feelings are
Kasia
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it

This was such a gut wrenching and succulent read that I was surprised myself at how much I loved it, the cover was great but who knew that the insides would out shine it for once? I’m usually a sucker for freaking looking books but I didn’t realize that this sort of hairy lycan ammo could be packed into those pages.

Werewolves don’t seem to have enough proper literary coverage these days, well books like this one can change that history, this wolf is scary, the long claws, the ruthless hunger,
Melinda
My Lord! This had to be the scariest book I've read in decades. Mr. Tavares has a knack for putting things together that you would never have thought of, and making them the most ghoulish, the most ghastly, the most bloodly, the most horrible things you've ever read about. It makes my skin crawl to just think about it.

THE SETTING: The setting is in Victorian times in New Orleans, France and Borneo of all places. Can you hear those jungle drums beating? The headhunters slipping through the trees
The Shayne-Train
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've found I now despise what is known as "urban fantasy."

I used to be a big fan. But the seemingly inexhaustible supply of exactly-the-same bullshit eroded at my reading pleasure.

That's one of the reasons why I enjoyed this book so much. There are vampires, werewolves, zombies, and demons, but they are of a bygone era. There are no vampires with websites, no Volkswagen-driving wizards, no smouldery-fucking-eyed teenage werewolf heartthrobs. These monsters are MONSTERS.

We join an unlikely
 Reading Divergence
Review of House of Corruption by Erik Tavares
5 stars

“House of Corruption” is a complex and multithreaded tapestry, invoking the thought of a collaboration between Henry James and Edgar Rice Burroughs to rejuvenate “Dracula,” with all new characters and additional monstrous creatures. Author Erik Tavares has done his research, and the results are intriguing and riveting. An entirely new “thing that goes bump in the night” category arises here, a creature of Borneo and Malaysia, a sort of body
Shandra
Mar 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unable-to-finish
DNF at 42%.

Defeated photo: Stiles tumblr_m1w6xd6oeK1qbilz6.gif

Welp.... I believe it's time to admit defeat. I tried so hard, and for like two months, to finish this book. It's definitely me, not the book. The storyline is good, the writing is good, the character development is good, the mystery is good. Erik Tavares has done a GOOD job with this book. However, it's just not jiving with me. I thought if I gave it some time, I'd come back fresh and wanting more. I thought if I walked away briefly, I'd long to continue the story. Nope. I've
Matthew
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Set in the 1890s, the story follows Artemius Savoy, Reynard LaCroix and Mahonri Grant as they travel in pursuit of Lasha, Reynards sister, who was kidnapped. The men chase her abductor across part of the US before winding up in Borneo to face the man behind her abduction. As if that wasn't difficult enough, Reynard suffers from lycanthropy and a silver bullet embedded in his chest next to his heart is all that keeps him from turning until it is forcibly removed.
The book is a very refreshing
Kellie Harrington
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reynard had a secret a secret that couldnt be told Savoy was the only one who knew this secret Reynards sister Lasha didnt even know what her brother was. And Mr. Grant had come from far away running from a murder rap. A foreigner came to town and the death toll went up and they threatened to tell Reynards story, They wanted him for a cure for her father when Renard said no they stole Lasha. So Reynard Mr. savoy and Mr. Grant head out and head on the run to find Lesha. The Story is magnificent ...more
Erin
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Erin by: Navessa
What?! A book where the monsters are actually, (gulp), MONSTERS? No angst-laden teenagers? No moral dilemmas? Such a welcome change.

In addition Tavares is a master of description - I adore stories set in the past (here starting in 1886) where the descriptions of the time are so rich and so truthful, and here Tavares takes his travelers to Portugal, New Orleans, France and the jungles of Borneo. And his primary characters are all very nuanced and layered.....just a truly enjoyable read. If you
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Although rather gruesome, I think this would appeal to fans of classic horror, such as Dracula and The Were-Wolf. Quite dark and morose, so be warned.

Overall rating: 3.5/5.0 stars.

Reviewed for Bitten by Books. http://bittenbybooks.com.
Josephine Haburay
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Please a sequel

If you're into werewolf stories then you should read this book. It delves into the local mythology and legend of Borneo and the Malaysian peninsula. it was a fast and fun read from beginning to end! I would say that House of Corruption is now on my favorite books list!

Angela
Jul 24, 2013 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Angela by: Navessa
Buddy read with Jenny planned.

7/24/2013: $1.99 on Kindle AND highly rec'd by Cory? Sold.
Trix
Marko
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Erik Tavares' House of Corruption is a great find to any fan of werewolves or the horror genre in general. Set in the 1890's, the protagonist is Reynard LaCroix, a werewolf, who has been able to avoid his curse for the past few years with the help of a silver bullet that is lodged inside his chest.

Erik Tavares builds the sets very nicely and it becomes clear that he's done his research in each of these locations as they were in the late 19th century. His writing style reminds me of classic
Dallin
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
There were minor typographical errors, not sure if this was due to poor editing or problems with the e-format. They were throughout the book, but as I said, minor.

The story was great! Character development was well done, a storyline worth reading. It kept you on your toes and steered away from the predictability typical of fiction; once you pick out the main characters, you know they'll live and for the most part come out on the other side no worse for the wear. Not so with this book.

The
Katie
Jun 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
So thankful for book clubs to introduce me to genres I wouldn't have chosen otherwise. I enjoyed the settings and the crime feel of this story. The pace was excellent and the characters endearing. While the events at the conclusion were a bit confused and far-reaching (even for a werewolf/vampire story) I was engrossed in the detail and regretted having to periodically set the book down to tend to the stuff of life.

I read one portion by candlelight during a power outage and that made the
Megan the Vegan
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book was really awesome. Full disclosure - I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book is not your run-of-the-mill werewolf story. It really draws you in and is chock full of action, mystery, intrigue, and horror. It takes place in the Victorian Age and gives a splendidly worded account of this adventure/nightmare as it travels across 3 continents. Very impressive. Must read!!
Dee
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a treat! House of Corruption pretty much had it all for me: interesting settings and characters, an author who clearly did his research, and a story that had my interest from beginning to end. In a time where monsters are constantly presented with more sex appeal than true horror, this proved to be quite the refreshing read. I'm eager to see more from this author in the future, and would recommend this book to anyone with a taste for classic horror and the macabre.
Nicolle Atchison
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous... Loved it. Great characters, story that keeps you on your toes and lots of wonderful gore! Can't wait for his next book.
Aud
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I usually don't read these types of books, but this was good! love, werewolves, weird creatures and far off places. really good ending
Cupcakes & Machetes
Please sir, may I have some more?
Liz
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Classic, very enjoyable horror with gore and gruesome murders and interesting twists and turns in terms of mythology. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't been so stressed by life while reading. On the other hand, I think the characterization fell a bit short in this one.
Sasha Ambroz
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, detective, horror, own
Seriously packed horror, definitely scary, plot-driven, but the characters were lacking backbone, probably because of the too much action.
Adam Shore
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love a good werewolf book. This one was more than a slasher, and not the awful romance/teen read stuff... It certainly had the general vampires vs werewolves theme but done in a much different manner than normal. A great casual read with some fun twists.
Dveith
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
It was a good plot - just a writing style that was difficult to read. I don't know it if was the authors attempt at writing with turn of the century language or merely that the narrater jumped characters too much. It was almost written like a TV mini-series with a superficial attempt at character development; at least the character development happened too late for me. Probably a good book for a different reader.
Deanne
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Took a while to get the three main male characters fixed in my head, though Grant doesn't really seem to come to the fore. Tyrants is the main character with Savoy acting almost as a surrogate father.
There's a damsel in distress and a race around the world, but it still felt as though there was something missing.

• The Lure of the Wolf (Shadowmen #2)
  • Blood Runs Cold (Ren Bryce, #1)
  • Killer Motive
  • The Mistake : A True Love Story
  • If She Knew (Kate Wise Mystery #1)
  • Cold Blooded
  • The Body Counter (Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries, #2)
  • Blood of Requiem (Song of Dragons, #1)
  • The Body Keeper (Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries #3)
  • Whiteout
  • Sei Thrillers (Sei Assassin Thriller, #1-3)
  • Next Door (Chloe Fine Mystery #1)
  • Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)
  • Sniper's Nest (Detective Jesse McCord #1)
  • Rival Demons (The Shadow Demons Saga #5)
  • Suitcase Girl (Abby Kane FBI Thriller #7; Suitcase Girl Trilogy #1)
  • Dragon Pearl
  • The Dragon Blood Collection, Books 1-3
Born in California, raised in Alaska, with time on the Oregon Coast, Erik Tavares’ writing includes genre fiction, non-fiction, screenplays, advertising and everything in between.

By day, he teaches elementary school. By night he directs Shadows Haunted Attraction (www.ShadowsHaunt.com) during the Halloween season.

He lives in the Pacific Northwest with his wife and two children.
“Cold. Foggy cold. Soaking through fabric, biting into the skin, clutching the bones until flesh crawled.
There was no moonlight, only orange, smoky lanterns, and the light made the snow glitter and turned the shadows into blood.”
2 likes
“A snap of bone echoed behind them, the bloody cry of a lamb that had wandered into the dark.” 1 likes