Start by marking “Life Knocks” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

Life Knocks

Alternate Cover Image: ASIN: B005JU92GO
BOOK DESCRIPTION
Love goes wrong, and forces a recluse to live with a lonely old man with severe boundary issues...
AWARDS
Life Knocks was shortlisted for the world respected Dundee International Book Prize.
Published February 17th 2012 by Amazon for Kindle (first published August 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Life Knocks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life Knocks

Shazza
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
During work I sat. Every time I glanced in the direction of the Kindle icon on my desktop, like a 2yo asking "why" repeatedly, the icon queried "Is it 5 o'clock yet?" Between feedings, my brain rumbled for more & my eyes, set loose in the evening on "Life Knocks", consumed its words like a -starved bird flapping & flailing at a seed feeder. Or perhaps more accurately, like a cat tearing at a catnip sack.

When they were handing out politeness or conscientiousness before incarnation to eart
Simon Mcleish
This review was originally posted on my blog.

I wasn't sure whether I would like Life Knocks or not before starting to read it, and I am still not sure.

The narrator, named Colossus, is at a low point in his life. He is living in a low quality bedsit, unable to connect with anyone he meets, with the exception of his unpleasant landlord (who is a Muslim version of Riggsby from seventies sitcom Rising Damp, with even less charm and fewer redeeming qualities.

This life forms one of two interwoven narr
Dana
Jan 11, 2013 added it
Recommends it for: Ian Truman
I'm torn. Definitely not a book that appeals to me; it spends 99% of it's prose in one simile or another and the story is well, a might depressing. The lead spends way too much time either drunk or high for my tastes. But buried in all of that is a story of human existence that I think is well written. The author has skill; his phrasing, pacing, format and descriptions (did I mention this is where similes came to breed?) are very well done.

However, I got to the end and began wondering if this wa
Marsha Cornelius
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
While reading Life Knocks, I had a sense of unease at witnessing the main character's life slowly crumble. My discomfort was intensified when I learned that most of the story was based on the author's life.
I grew up believing that our shortcomings should be kept to ourselves, but Craig Stone lays himself bare for all to see.
To compensate for putting the reader through his painful experiences, Stone soothes with his special brand of imaginative prose. He is thought-provoking, hilarious, insightfu
Fazackerly Toast
Mar 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
It's self-published and it shows and I think if a good editor gave it a going over, it would be a better book, but it's definitely worth reading. There's an original honest talent there and some bits of it are very funny.
David H.
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Undoubtedly five stars. Love this book, fantastic writing, great story. Give it a read.
Matt
So, Life Knocks. Sometimes life knocks on your door, expecting you to open it and experience wondrous things, then again sometimes life simply knocks you down.

I had to really scratch my thoughts until I realized the ambiguous meaning of this book's title, can you imagine?

The blurb's saying this is part of the author's memoirs (the sequel being The Squirrel that Dreamt of Madness). The narrator's name, however, is Colossus Sosloss, so you may wonder how much of Craig Stone is in Colossus Sosloss?
Juli Rahel
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. The writing style was such that I was unable to put it down. I was absolutely distraught when my Kindle broke halfway through and I had to wait for my new Kindle to arrive so I could continue reading. This book has laugh-out-loud moments which can lead to slightly embarrassing moments in public, but trust me, they're worth it.

This book is both hilarious and touching. Stone's writing style is almost poetic at places and he has a talent for coming up with the most ama
Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
It is the story of Collossus that is narrated through this story. We follow him through his numerous adventures – right from quitting his job to finding love to his depressions. From the highest point to the lowest of low point of his life, Collossus realizes that no matter what, one cannot stop life from moving on. This is a story of the highs and the lows, of love and of loneliness, of laughter and of tears and it will have you riding through all of it with a smile on your face – whether hyste ...more
Nikki Bennett
Life Knocks is a book with an almost avante garde feel, which some readers may really like. It is a very different type of read than what I'm used to. Some of the writing is absolutely brilliant, but some people may find it hard to get through as it is a very descriptive book with not much dialogue. I'm a dialogue-driven reader (and writer) myself, and don't like reading too many descriptive paragraphs, so this was a little difficult for me.

The story is about a man called Colossus, his girlfrien
Terry Reid
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I’m not quite sure where I should begin with the review this week. Even though I finished Craig Stone’s Life Knocks a few days ago now I still don’t feel like the dust has quite settled yet. There are so many questions and philosophical points from it that are still going around and around in my head...

So I’ll try starting from the beginning (duh). For a good first chunk of this book you will probably not know what is going on or where it is leading. We start off with an email that Colossus Sosl
Maree Kimberley
Feb 09, 2013 rated it liked it
I recently read and loved Craig Stones' The Squirrel that Dreamt of Madness, so was interested to read Life Knocks, which is essentially the prequel to Squirrel (although he wrote Life Knocks second).

Stone is a writer who completely ignores the "rules" of writing, usually to great effect. He has a distinctive writing style that shouldn't work, and yet it does. The main character and narrator, Colossus Sosloss, is a no hoper who can't get out of his own way. Theoretically, it's no fun to read ab
Cinta
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I started reading this book with very high expectations, and it didn't disappoint me. The only "negative" thing about this book, and that's why I cannot give it 5 stars, is that it contains typos, misspellings, and even missing words. The positive things clearly outnumber the negative things, so I strongly recommend this book.

What makes this book even more interesting is the fact that the story is the real story of the author. It is one of the most honest books telling a real story that I have e
Melissa Brown
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
“Love is like being in a bath of beans with a pig dressed as a clown and a naked farm girl. Pretty much amazing, once you get over the shock.”

This is one of the many quotes that lie within the pages of Craig Stone’s book, “Life Knocks.” This is a book that made me laugh so hard at times, I would literally throw my head back and drop my kindle because I was so amused by his sense of humor and his words.

Craig Stone is a master of the metaphor and simile. His sense of humor is one that takes a bit
Karen Cole
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are some books that have me hooked from the first page, others take a while longer and I dip in and out for a bit until one day I realise the ten minute read before I start the dinner has turned into an hour and I've forgotten to feed the children. Life Knocks was that sort of book for me.
Craig Stone has a quirky style of writing with a particularly unique eye for an unusual metaphor; "Love is a bath of beans with a pig dressed as a clown and a naked farm girl; pretty much amazing when you
Betty McMahon
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
It was a thrill to "discover" writer Craig Stone -- kind of like being in on the ground floor of an Apple stock offering. Life Knocks covers about 6 years in the life of the 20-something writer -- years in which he bounced back and forth between the ridiculous and the sublime in a life constructed atop a passion for alcohol and drugs. It's a slice of life just made for a writer, and Craig hits a home run in his recollections of it. His descriptions of people and events are spot-on; his character ...more
Pam
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
I received this book from the author for an honest review. This book follows the life of Colossus as he quits his job and shows how he he had depression, love, drugs and so much more go on in his life. It starts out with a very funny letter to his boss as he quits his job. This letter is what we all have felt like saying to our bosses all through our lives. It draws you right into the story. You get to see him interact with his landlord even though all he wants to do is ignore the man. Friends t ...more
Sam
Life Knocks follows our narrator, Colossus, through both the past and the present as he wonders how he ended up where he has and what he managed to gain and lose along the way. We discover his frustrations at his current situation and his longing for the past he had all the while trying to hold down some kind of job and avoiding his strange over-bearing landlord who has a rather unnatural obsession with Somalians. This book is written in an open and forthright way which really makes you believe ...more
ReGi Mcclain
Jul 05, 2012 rated it liked it
First of all, this is not the kind of book I normally read, so I am probably not the best judge, but here are my impressions.

Craig Stone is indeed a brilliant author. I would not be surprised if, 50 years from now, he ends up being considered one of the classic writers of our day. Much of his writing shows incredible depth of insight into human nature and relationships. The main character's retrospective explanation of the big fight with his girlfriend is especially profound. I found the journey
Cloey.k
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
The book begins with a letter to management resigning his position at a bank. He pretty much says everything everyone has wanted to say at some point in their lives but was too afraid to say. I laughed so hard and so much I had to read it three times. After Colossus (yeah, that's his name... not kidding here) walks away from the world of employment which I like to refer to as “The Wheel of Hell” to become a writer his journey begins…and what an interesting journey it is.

Craig Stone is sharing a
Rachel
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'd read Stone's previous book, "The Squirrel That Dreamt of Madness," and liked it. This one is somewhat related, maybe a prequel, but it's very different. It's more memoir and less whimsical. Stone is still entertainingly imaginative in his descriptions, but the story he tells is very real and realistic. There's a tragic love story, and a story of substance abuse, and a story of a man awkwardly torn between compassion and repulsion toward a lonely landlord who is also paranoid and bigoted. But ...more
Maddalena
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Bloody brilliant. A joggle of events, the rise and fall of Colossus Sosloss, a man who started like plankton, reached the top and fell down again. If this book has anything to teach, surely it is that life knocks are what you get to learn that you're alive and it's a life worth living, not with hatred and anger, but with rainbow castles and honey milk.

Life Knocks is a book worth reading, one of the few which made me actually laugh out loud while alone in the car waiting for the kid to come out f
Lindsay
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, uk, 2013
It took me a little bit to get into this book initially, and I found the vast number of metaphors a bit distracting. However, once I got a bit further into it, it all flowed a bit more and I could really enjoy the story and the writing. I did like the way the story moved back and forward through time, gradually revealing how Colossus had got to the current point in his life.

Colossus, and the characters around him were complex and interesting, and the story and his trials developed from his own
Djcc
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This could have been a riveting read if it had been written by someone else, or at least proofed by someone other than the author. The story kept being forced into irrelevance by exasperating grammatical errors, typos, spelling errors and nonsensical metaphors. It feels like the author is clearly delighted with his own wit, and many reviews I've read are suspiciously like his own work. It does gain an extra star, however, because I found myself thinking about the story between readings a lot, bu ...more
Drake
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Craig Stone knows his way around a metaphor and can describe even mundane moments in life in a fresh & exciting way. Told in 1st POV in present tense, the style may be jarring for some as he jumps through his life - but I loved it! It made me feel as if I was on the roller coaster of life with him. And his life is plentiful and wild. I recommend this read for those willing to step into a world that may be very contrary from their own.
Brian
Apr 26, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for something different & decided to give 'life knocks,' a read. I wished I hadn't. It was boring, and smacked of self indulgence especially with it's long-winded metaphors. I didn't really care for any of the characters or it's main one Colossus and by that I mean I literally didn't care one way or the other. The story doesn't go anywhere and I found myself switching off. Probably one of the most boring books that I have the misfortune to read.
Matt Peacock
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing. The balance of both sadness and lightheartedness is perfect. Highly recommend to all. The main character is hilarious and his mental landlord even better. One book I will definitely read again.
InD'tale Magazine
Craig Stone writes in a circular fashion, interspersing the on-going story with thoughts in Colossus’s head.

Read full review in the 2012 September issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Dave
Mar 02, 2013 added it
Got bored of this book and didn't finish it...
Carlene Barton
Mar 19, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book after reading some fantastic reviews but unfortunately I just didnt get it.
I left school at sixteen with a head full of rocks, a general dislike towards anyone telling me what to do and a belief none of it mattered: because one day I would write the greatest book in the world.
I moved to Spain, I worked for a little man with a missing finger called Juan, who owned the town.
I almost got killed by a freight train when I was lost in a field trying to find the Spanish airport
“At the end of the world the sunset is like a child smashing a pack of crayons into God’s face.” 13 likes
“My landlord lives in the flat at the bottom of the stairs. I rent a studio flat from him, and live at the top of the staircase. There are two more flights of stairs and four more flats, but it’s me he is obsessed with.” 2 likes