Start by marking “The Admiral's Mark (Cotton Malone, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Admiral's Mark (Cotton Malone, #0.5)

The Admiral's Mark (Cotton Malone 0.5)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  1,921 Ratings  ·  97 Reviews
Eight years ago Cotton Malone was an agent for the Justice Department, handling the toughest and most sensitive international investigations. But sometimes things became intensely personal. In his latest eBook original short story, New York Times bestselling author Steve Berry lays out just such a tale—one with shocking historical implications.

Cotton Malone never cared
Published April 2nd 2012 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about The Admiral's Mark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Admiral's Mark

Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don't know why I waited so long to get around to this short story as it's the prequel to the whole series and I'm already on book 10. It was quite short, it only took me about 30 minutes to read. Cotton Malone is still married to Pam in this instalment and is still working for the Magellan Billet when his brother-in-law dies in Haiti. Pam, thinking it was murder, convinces Cotton to head down and do his secret agent thing to find out what really happened.

This was a really tense short story. A
Kost As
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Το Admiral's mark είναι ένα διήγημα από τον κ. Steve Berry, το οποίο λειτουργεί ως προοίμιο του βιβλίου του "The Columbus Affair". Παρόλο που το βιβλίο δεν έχει ως ήρωά του τον Cotton Malone, στο προοίμιο αυτό ο συγγραφέας διηγείται μια περιπέτεια του Malone, η οποία έλαβε χώρα 8 χρόνια πριν το πρώτο βιβλίο της σειράς με ήρωα τον Cotton Malone, "The Templar Legacy". Θέλοντας να ξεκινήσω τη σειρά του Malone, διάβασα και το συγκεκριμένο διήγημα.

Το βιβλίο διαβάζεται πάρα πολύ άνετα και πολύ γρήγορα
Witchy
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: berry-steve
This is an excellent short story and lead-in to Mr. Berry's upcoming book "The Columbus Affair" due out in May 2012. I was initially disappointed because the short story involved Cotton Malone (the ongoing hero of many of Steve Berry's novels) and the upcoming book will not be a Cotton Malone book. (I am definitely one of "Malone's Clones" as Mr. Berry calls his fans.) However, there are a number of tie-ins from the short story to the upcoming book (based on the synopsis of "The Columbus Affair" ...more
Matt
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great little story to read while driving from A to B. Cotton Malone is headed down to Haiti to look into the death of his brother-in-law. What he discovers is more than a drowning accident and opens the door on some historical Americana related to Columbus.

Berry is at it again with his most-loved character, who likes to stick his neck out and solve crimes unrelated to his daily life. Always revealing another layer of the Malone character in the most unorthodox manner, Berry has the reader hook
Kim
The latest short ebook from Steve Berry is both a prequel to the Cotton Malone series as well as the new book The Columbus Affair. A short, quick adventure to Haiti tied in with the lost wreck of the Santa Maria, flagship of controversial historical figure Christopher Columbus.

There wasn't a lot to this story and I'm not sure it needed to be released by itself. It feels like it would have been better used as a prologue instead of a way to get more money from fans. If this is the way Steve Berry
Maria Rose
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A tale about Columbus

This is a short story of a non-official investigation by Cotton Malone, to solve his brother in law death, so I may have spoilers. First big point, we get to know Cotton's real name-- Harold Earl.
Back to what is the story about, Malone gets asked by his wife to figure out what happened to Scott, the brother in law. He makes a start by checking out their apartment, where he gets interrupted by 2 men who showed up, looking for information also. They look through the mail and o
Sally
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
So far Steve Berry's ebook novellas have been woefully written - but this one wasn't too bad.

Set 8 years earlier, in Jamaica, this one is a personal story for Cotton Malone while he's still with the Magellan Billet.
Kay Clark
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suspense

Fun reading. Love the history with a mystery. Not hard to follow so that made it a quick read but not boring.
Pierre Tassé
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
For a short story this was intriguing and a lot of fun to read.
Eric Leeson
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Useful as a little backstory for the Columbus Affair, but not much else. I have not read any of the Cotton Malone novels. I will have to look them up to see if I enjoy them. Short but sweet.
Peter Charleston
Dec 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Nice quick read that compliments the Columbus Affair book.
Kathy
Jul 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Libby Chester
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great story! This is the first book by Steve Berry that I've read, and I'm hooked. Cotton Malone is a great character and while some scenes stretch credibility, I became quickly interested and willing to stretch my limits on what's believable. The mystery behind Malone's brother-in-law, Scott Brown's death is compelling. Add to that Malone's hesitance to investigate the death. What better than a reluctant hero? Malone's marriage is on the rocks, and he's missed most of his son's childhood, so as ...more
Chris
Apr 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Having not yet read any Cotton Malone adventures, this short story probably fell a little flat on me as a reader. Although it must be said that there was enough tid bits sprinkled throughout the story to explain who Malone is and the type of situations he finds himself in on a regular basis.

The story was good, the pacing was good. It almsot felt like a truncated novel. Sort of a full 350-450page story mashed in 45pages. naturally there were many things left out, but unlike many other short stori
Jerome
Feb 23, 2013 rated it liked it
This wasn't up to the standards that I've come to expect from Steve Berry. I know it was meant as a teaser/tie-in to his novel "The Columbus Affair", so I'm willing to give it a bit of leeway but, while it was successful in introducing the protagonist of the new novel, it also focused a lot more on Cotton Malone than I had expected it to. The way it introduced Tom Sagan was sort of in passing, and it seemed too simplistic. Likewise, the end of the story seemed rushed, sort of like it was just cu ...more
Brent Soderstrum
Mar 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Prequel to The Columbus Affair. This is a 50 page short story in which we get a glimpse at issues and characters of The Columbus Affair. In this one Cotton Malone, who isn't in the CCA, goes to Haiti to investigate his brother-in-law's death while scuba diving. Scott Brown died while investigating a submerged old ship which appears to be the Santa Maria. During the investigation Cotton finds out that Scott was murdered by someone who has an interest in Columbus.

Quick little read that I read aft
Bernie Charbonneau
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Cotton Malone Fans
Trying to catch up on my most trusted authors that I have fallen behind on so this novella came in a package. This is supposedly a prequel to his Columbus Affair release that I have read a couple of years ago. I had to go back and refresh my memory about the background but once done, this story was quite informative about the central characters, villains, that transpired in the “Columbus” novel. I always enjoy Mr. Berry novels and this little ditty was quite fun. It is a novella so creating acti ...more
Neil
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite this only being a short story it has the typical traits of a full length novel from Steve Berry. A well thought out plot and some well crafted characters lead the reader into a world of intrigue. Along the way we meet a shadowy Austrian, the Israeli Mossad and from the Magellan Billet there is Cotton Malone too, all set on the island of Haiti. I am hoping that everything will continue in the same vein in the Columbus Affair
Brian
Jul 03, 2015 rated it liked it
This short story features Cotton Malone and takes place when he is an agent for the Magellan Billet. He goes to Haiti to investigate the death of his brother-in-law. There he meets up with Zachariah Simon and his henchman, Rocha, who are trying to get back what Scott Brown had "stolen" from him.

This was a fun adventure that was over way too quick. I wanted more. I especially liked that it featured Cotton Malone.
Brian Williams
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
A secret agent investigates his brother-in-law's death in Haiti and stumbles upon a treasure hunt involving the Israeli Mossad. This piece billed as being a short story. Instead it was like a free sample for an upcoming novel, which is not what I expected. Regardless of that it was bland, not like other Steve Berry books I have read.
Clayton Yuen
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
A Less-than-100-page short story never lives up to the power of a full novel, and this short adventure proved the same. But, any story with Cotton Malone as the main character will be good, very good. Just the short development time pulls away from a fully satisfied feeling.

Four stars for the mini ...... good but not great!
Mike Kennedy
Oct 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: steve-berry
This short novella/prequel from Steve Barry about Cotton Malone, started off promising. The story is about Cotton in the death of his brother in law in Haiti. Christopher Columbus and his first voyage to America is also an important topic in this book. Unfortunately the novella has a disappointing ending. Did you like the Cotton Malone series, it is worth the read. otherwise don't bother.
David Schwan
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have to admit I started the Columbus Affair (about 30 pages) and then read this. While the Columbus Affair stands on it's own, reading this pre-story really helps me understand what's going on, that and any Cotton Malone story is worth reading. This story takes place before Cotton leaves the Magellan Billet and hints a a future person he is connected with.
Lee
The prequel to the Cotton Malone novels, this book finds him investigating the death of his brother in law when he is still with the Magellan Billet. He travels to Haiti to see if he really drowned or if he was murdered. He runs across a rogue billionaire and Mossad while investigating, can he find out who is responsible for his death?
Tuomo
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Admiral's Mark reminds very much of Ian Fleming's Caribbean Bond stories. Excellent short story! Also, this is a substantial piece of writing and well worth the money (compared to Berry's Balkan Escape rip-off).
Benjo Dalmacio-demition
A prequel for The Columbus Affair. I have actually read this short story after the book. You might not have to read this and go straight to the book but if are a Malone fan, it doesn't hurt to spend a few minutes to sit down, rest your feet in a table and enjoy reading.
Manley Ranch
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good as usual.

This short story also introduces you to a few characters and sets it up for "The Columbus Affair" as a bit of background. It is not necessary to read this first, but it makes things go a bit more "inline".

Rodney
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: malone
A lot of action packed into a very good short story. This is the first Cotton Malone story that I read and I was not disappointed. I will be following this book up with a Cotton Malone novel. I cannot wait for the action Steve Berry can get into a full length story.
Travis
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A good Cotton Malone short story. Nice to see Cotton during his days as an agent for the Magallen Billet. Berry does a could job of crafting interest to THE COLUMBUS AFFAIR, a non-Cotton Malone book, but with this short story, I've become intrigued.
Kim
Oct 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Found at the end of the Columbus Affair ebook, it is really a precursor to the story. Written as a short, it gives additional accounts of the whereabouts of Simon, this time set in Haiti. Described the country as I remembered it from my travels there over 30 years ago.
  • Red Templar (Templar, #6)
  • City of Screams (The Order of the Sanguines, #0.5)
  • The Gods Of Atlantis (Jack Howard, #6)
  • The Promised War (Sam Deker, #1)
  • The Sacred Blood
  • Shadow Tag
  • On the Fifth Day (Thomas Knight, #1)
  • The God Machine
  • The Hunters (The Hunters, #1)
  • Gut Instinct (Pike Logan #3.5)
Steve Berry is the New York Times and #1 internationally bestselling author of The Lost Order , The 14th Colony , The Patriot Threat , The Lincoln Myth , The King's Deception, The Columbus Affair , The Jefferson Key , The Emperor's Tomb , The Paris Vendetta , The Charlemagne Pursuit , The Venetian Bet
More about Steve Berry...

Cotton Malone (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Templar Legacy (Cotton Malone, #1)
  • The Alexandria Link (Cotton Malone, #2)
  • The Venetian Betrayal (Cotton Malone, #3)
  • The Charlemagne Pursuit (Cotton Malone, #4)
  • The Paris Vendetta (Cotton Malone, #5)
  • The Emperor's Tomb (Cotton Malone, #6)
  • The Jefferson Key (Cotton Malone, #7)
  • The King's Deception (Cotton Malone, #8)
  • The Lincoln Myth (Cotton Malone, #9)
  • The Patriot Threat (Cotton Malone, #10)