Start by marking “Katalonya'ya Selam” as Want to Read:
Katalonya'ya Selam

Katalonya'ya Selam

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  30,427 Ratings  ·  1,850 Reviews
"Sahtekârlığın evrensel düzeyde egemen olduğu dönemlerde, gerçeği söylemek devrimci bir eylemdir."
George Orwell

George Orwell’in 1938 yılında yayımlanan kitabı Katalonya’ya Selam, Orwell’in bir milis olarak katıldığı İspanya İç Savaşı’ndaki deneyimlerini konu alır. Orwell’in birinci elden tanıklığına dayanan bu kitap, faşizme karşı yürütülen savaşa ışık tutmanın yanı sıra İ
Published 1985 by Alan Yayıncılık (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Katalonya'ya Selam, please sign up.
Allan MacLeod Regarding the first part of your question: as somebody who had a few years of experience before the internet swallowed everything, my recommendation…moreRegarding the first part of your question: as somebody who had a few years of experience before the internet swallowed everything, my recommendation is to get your book and isolate yourself in a library, cafe, or similar. Turn your phone on silent and leave it in your backpack while you read. Make regular meditation and mindfulness a habit so that you can take ten minutes to clear your mind of static when necessary.

Also, I find that my e-reader is a more comfortable and ergonomically pleasing way to read (especially for heavier volumes) that ultimately reduces distractions while I read and lets me read longer, more often, and in more places.(less)
Stefan Tons? I would start with Remarque's "Im Westen nichts Neues" (All Quiet on the Western Front) for WW1, and just by the virtue of growing up in Poland…moreTons? I would start with Remarque's "Im Westen nichts Neues" (All Quiet on the Western Front) for WW1, and just by the virtue of growing up in Poland I'd recommend Chlebowski's "Pokaż zęby" to cover the first weeks of WW2, no translation as far as I'm aware, but who knows languages you speak. If that's a miss, you can try Günter Grass's "Die Blechtrommel" (The Tin Drum). I deliberately suggest novels (heavily influenced by authors experiences) as I'm yet to find well balanced book on WW2. Zuckerman's "A Surplus of Memory" isn't too bad, but it's more of memoirs than documentary account. Finally, I think that Heller's "Catch-22" isn't too far removed from reality as well. Let me know when you find other readworthy books.(less)

Bill  Kerwin
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, biography

This book is justly famous for its disillusioned account of how the Communist Party—in its eagerness to defeat Franco--betrayed the successful anarchist experiment in Catalonia for the sake of expedience, how it executed and imprisoned its anarchist and socialist comrades for the sake of a temporary alliance with the bourgeois.

I found all this very interesting, but have to admit that the real reason I liked the book so much was for its gritty account of war on the cheap, where guns are poor, ma
Stephen
Aug 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HEADLINE: For students, here the politics is explained.

For you students who have this great book imposed upon you in a syllabus, here is the best help I can give you with regard to Chapters V and XI, which are in some editions included only as Appendices.

It is interesting to note that at the outset Orwell himself was nonplussed by the alphabet soup of the political situation in Spain. At first he was at a loss when confronted with the idea of right wing communism as you probably are. It was only
Ahmad Sharabiani
Homage To Catalonia, George Orwell
Homage to Catalonia is George Orwell's personal account of his experiences and observations in the Spanish Civil War. The first edition was published in the United Kingdom in 1938.
عنوانها: درود بر کاتالونیا، زنده باد کاتالونیا، به یاد کاتالونیا، نویسنده: جورج اورول، تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز سیزدهم ماه اکتبر سال 1983 میلادی
عنوان: درود بر کاتالونیا - گزارشی از جنگ داخلی اسپانیا - سال 1937 میلادی؛ نویسنده: جورج اورول؛ مترجم: تورج آرامش؛ تهران، آگاه، 1360 هجری خورشی
Greg
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1. Homage to Catalonia has the distinction of being on my mental to-read list for longer than any other book. I've wanted to read this book longer than any of the people who elbowed or punched me in the face this week have been alive. I figured after almost twenty and half years I should finally read it.

I've owned the book for over a decade.

I have no clue what book now currently holds the distinction book I've wanted to read for the longest time but haven't.

2. When I was a senior in high school
Ted
3 stars.

Now, after many false starts …

In my first attempt at reviewing this, I began by saying “This is a first rate source for information … on the Spanish Civil War.” Wrong!!! It really is a very poor source of information on the SCW. Because it is on a very personal level, and is mostly seen from a very limited and narrow point of view, this is really an almost useless book for learning anything historically significant about the war.

So, let’s start over.

Why is this book so famous?

The fi
Sarah (Presto agitato)
I have always found the Spanish Civil War confusing. After reading Homage to Catalonia, I at least feel that I was justified in my confusion. On the surface, of course, it was a conflict between Franco’s Fascists and the democratic Republican government, but it was far more complicated than that. When Orwell arrived in Spain to fight on the Republican side with the P.O.U.M. militia, a P.S.U.C. position was pointed out to him and he was told “Those are the Socialists” to which he responded, “Aren ...more
Mohammed-Makram
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature

و الكلمة الوحيدة التي لا يملك الغريب إلا أن يتعلمها هي كلمة "مانيانا" أي غدا و معناها الحرفي اليوم التالي. فإن كان بالمستطاع .. يؤجل عمل اليوم إلى المانيانا.

أنا شوفت الكلام ده فين قبل كده
يتحدث في أحيان أخرى عن الكرم الأسباني و عن الشعور السوداء و العيون العربية و البشرة السمراء فأتذكر أننا يوما ما كنا هنا.

ما الذي يجعل شاب كيوت و ابن ناس كجورج أورويل يترك حياة المدنية و يزج بنفسه في حرب لا ناقة له فيها و لا جمل كبريطاني يعيش في أزهى عصور دولته الإستعمارية.

إنها انسانيته التي جعلته يستقيل من وظيف
Kim
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Should anyone want to understand why George Orwell, a life long socialist, developed the antipathy to the Soviet Union which informed his best known novels Animal Farm and 1984, then this is the book to read.

When Orwell travelled to Spain in December 1936, intending to fight fascism and write about the Spanish Civil War, he stepped into a complex and murky political situation. The left-wing forces supporting the Republican government against the fascist forces led by Franco had different and co
7jane
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
music: Durutti Column - "Street Fight"
(also because there's a small, POUM-hostile extremist-anarchist group called Friends Of Durruti mentioned in the book, who were used as part of false-information war by the government)

(my book has intros by Hochschild and Trilling, both very excellent. Two chapters of the book have been appendixed to the end, which I also think as a wise choice, since both are rather political side-comments 1: why and how Communists suppressed the smaller leftist groups 2: a
B0nnie
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Orwell in Spain, the tall guy standing in the middle 1937
Another *FAQ* I wrote from back in the day in usenet for alt.books.george-orwell

Mr. Orwell has kindly granted me an interview regarding his book, Homage to Catalonia

B: There has been some talk about the Spanish Civil War lately, perhaps inspired by the recent movie El Laberinto del Fauno . This war was a labyrinth as well: sorting out the various factions and who did what to whom certainly is quite a chore.

But first things first. Could you describe your ensemble - you are wearing some un
Roy Lotz
I have the most evil memories of Spain, but I have very few bad memories of Spaniards. I only twice remember even being seriously angry with a Spaniard, and on each occasion, when I look back, I believe I was in the wrong myself.

Autobiographies and memoirs are, I think, the best books to read on vacation. Not only are they light, easy, and entertaining, but they’re usually not hard to put down. This is important because, if you’re like me, you may end up spending your whole vacation with your
Manny
Oct 01, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Celebrity Death Match Special:
Homage to Catalonia versus 1984

Catalonia

No winner declared because match never took place
William1.2
A wonderful book full of the stink and horror of war. The accounts of the Republic's assaults on the Falange, save for one instance, are pitiful and sickening. Descriptions, too, of Madrid during the conflict the likes of which I have not come across anywhere else. Exquisite and appalling. Read concurrently with Hugh Thomas' The Spanish Civil War.
umberto
Aug 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this memoir-like book surprisingly interesting and readable in terms of his direct experience in the Spanish Civil War. I think George Orwell didn't try to be a hero there since he himself was gunned down by a shot through his throat one morning. He simply wrote, "The whole experience of being hit by a bullet is very interesting and I think it is worth describing in detail" (Chapter X, pp. 143-4)

However, his valor didn't diminish and he still kept writing based on his political ideology
John Wiswell
Jun 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Literary readers, history readers, humanitarians, people who are politically jaded
As important as Animal Farm and 1984 are, Orwell was probably a better non-fiction writer than a fiction writer. In telling true events he is moved to outright explain his feelings and beliefs in perhaps less quotable, but far more important fashion than his fiction. You almost have to read his descriptions of the Spanish people in this book to truly appreciate the coldness of 1984's characters. Dealing with real people and real struggle he wrote his truly most memorable passages - such as why h ...more
Dean Dalton
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Possibly my favourite book ever. I couldn't put it down. This will not be the case for everyone but as I have always had an interest in the Spanish civil war I found Orwell's account brilliant and much better than regular Spanish civil war books. Orwell conveys with great clarity the boredom, confusion, and lies of the Spanish civil war. I would recommend anybody who wants to learn about the Spanish civil war (an extremely complex subject) to first look to this book.
Ken Moten
"And I hope the account I have given is not too misleading. I believe that on such an issue as this no one is or can be completely truthful. It is difficult to be certain about anything except what you have seen with your own eyes, and consciously or unconsciously everyone writes as a partisan. In case I have not said this somewhere earlier in the book I will say it now: beware of my partisanship, my mistakes of fact, and the distortion inevitably caused by my having seen only one corner of even ...more
Magrat Ajostiernos

Maravillosa crónica cargada de duras reflexiones pero también de mucha ironía y humor.
El relato de Orwell es muy sesgado y particular, narra su punto de vista sobre los meses que pasó en Cataluña y Aragón, no es en absoluto un tratado de Historia sino que todo lo conocemos desde su opinión... y quizás por eso sea tan interesante.
La visión de un inglés que se mete de lleno no solo en una guerra sino en medio de la sociedad española en plena guerra es algo
Jasmine
"When we went on leave I had been a hundred and fifteen days in the line, and at the time this period seemed to me to have been one of the most futile of my whole life. I had joined the militia in order to fight against Fascism, and as yet I had scarcely fought at all, had merely existed as a sort of passive object, doing nothing in return for my rations except to suffer from cold and lack of sleep. Perhaps that is the fate of most soldiers in most wars. But now that I can see this period in per ...more
Asma awadh
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
لطالما كانت الحرب الأهلية الإسبانية موضوعاً محيراً بالنسبة لي كنت أضعها دائماً ضمن خانة المواضيع المهمة والواجب قرائتها, كنت لا أترك رواية تتحدث ولو بشكل بسيط عن تلك الحرب الا وقد أشتريتها وهذا سبب قرائتي لكتب كاميلو خوسيه ثيلا ومحاولة قراءة لمن تقرع الأجراس لـ ارنست همنغواي لكن لم استطع من إكمالها حتى الآن ,إلى ان اتى هذا الكتاب الشافي ,كانت رؤيتي لتلك الحرب رؤية سطحية جمهوريين من حزب اليسار يصارعون فرانكو المدعوم من قبل الأنظمة الفاشية في المنطقة فقط بعد القراءة اتضحت الصورة أكثر صحيح انها ظلت ...more
Chris
Jul 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: journalists
Orwell left England in 1936 and spend six months fighting fascism in Spain - actually fighting fascism, like, throwing grenades and living in trenches, and being shot at, and crawling across 'no man's land' in the mud. He was a member of P.O.U.M., 'Partido Obrero de Unificación Marxista', or the Workers Party of Marxist Unification. Orwell was not a Marxist, but a strident opponent of Franco's fascist forces. The book, like his 'Road to Wigan Pier', is a collection of Orwell's observations told ...more
Luís C.
In 1937, on his arrival in Spain, Orwell, with his knowledge of weapons acquired during the five years in the Burmese imperial police, was appointed instructor in the POUM militia.
He participates then the fighting raging in Aragon and assists, amazed, during the month of May in the liquidation of the POUM by the PSUC, the Spanish Communist party formed by the federation of different parties of Stalinist persuasion.
The POUM clearly anarchist party, slandered, is officially declared illegal in Jun
Andrew
Homage to Catalonia, by George Orwell, is the authors account of the Spanish Civil War, as a participant for the POUM forces - a Republican aligned militant group. Orwell writes about the tribulations of the war, the internal politicking, and the hardship of living on the front. He is also heavily critical of Communist forces in the war, and the internal divisions he believes they orchestrated to try and take greater executive control of the Republican government.

Orwell writes a truthful, blow
Alice Poon
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, history
This is George Orwell's vivid account of his six-month (from December 1936 to June 1937) direct involvement in the Spanish Civil War. Other than recounting action-packed combative episodes on the war frontier and treacherous street-fighting scenes in Barcelona, the author also gives a clear-eyed analysis of the mind-boggling multi-faction political strife that prevailed. This essentially boils down to a three-sided struggle between the pro-Franco Fascists (prone to feudalism), the Russian-commis ...more
Mahdi Lotfi
درود بر کاتالونیا تشریح شخصی از تجارب و مشاهدات روزنامه نگار سیاسی و رمان نویس جورج اورول از جنگ داخلی اسپانیا است. چاپ اول در سال 1938 منتشر شد.
Chrissie
I find the Spanish Civil War confusing. Repeatedly I am given different interpretations and different explanations of the events. I have tried to get some understanding by reading many different books. This book is another added to all the others. I have found no one book that explained it all, with a clear overview.

This book cannot be considered an explanation of this war; it was published nine months after Orwell left Spain, and so the war was still not over. He was there from December 1936 to
Hadrian
Orwell's memoir of his service fighting in leftist militia in the Spanish Civil War. "A comic opera with an occasional death." Dangers of extremist politics. Great story telling. It's all here.
Baris Ozyurt
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bgst-y, my-library
"Çarpışıp da yenilmenin, hiç savaşmamaktan daha iyi sonuç verdiği örnekler vardır."(s.175)
Lorenzo Berardi
Reading anything by Orwell is always worth and rewarding.
And "Homage to Catalonia" makes no exception.
As someone pointed out somewhere the way Orwell understood and described Spain surpasses by far what Hemingway wrote pretty much in the same years about the same country.

But while Hemingway spent his Spanish time in a sort of cosmopolitan way drinking, waking up late, watching bullfighting, munching tapas and generally having fun (Fiesta!), Orwell was freezing in trenches, picking up cigarette
João Fernandes
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As ever, Orwell stands as a true journalist more than a novelist, keen on presenting the cold hard truth and his own judgement of it - both unblemished, and most importantly, distinguishable. Homage to Catalonia narrates the factual tale of the Spanish Civil War and life as a soldier for one of the leftist militias fighting against the rise of Franco's fascism in a torn apart country. From a foreign soldier seduced by the newfound equality of the Catalan region but horrified at the actual inepti ...more
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: Homage to Catalonia 3 8 Aug 24, 2016 01:10PM
Pakistani Readers: Find book 4 27 Dec 27, 2014 05:33AM
What book is this scene from? 3 60 Nov 29, 2013 11:56AM
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect title in spanish edition 4 64 May 26, 2013 01:59AM
  • The Spanish Civil War
  • Ten Days that Shook the World
  • No Gods No Masters: An Anthology of Anarchism
  • Durruti in the Spanish Revolution
  • Mutual Aid
  • Black Flame: The Revolutionary Class Politics of Anarchism and Syndicalism (Counter-Power vol 1)
  • The Anatomy of Fascism
  • Living My Life, Vol. 2
  • To the Finland Station
  • Why Orwell Matters
Eric Arthur Blair, better known by his pen name George Orwell, was an English author and journalist. His work is marked by keen intelligence and wit, a profound awareness of social injustice, an intense opposition to totalitarianism, a passion for clarity in language, and a belief in democratic socialism.

In addition to his literary career Orwell served as a police officer with the Indian Imperial
More about George Orwell

• The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Taste of Air
    $9.99 $3.49
  • The Lord God Made Them All (All Creatures Great and Small, #4)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • I'd Rather Be Reading: A Library of Art for Book Lovers
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Girl With No Name: The Incredible True Story of a Child Raised by Monkeys
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
“All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting.” 386 likes
“When I see an actual flesh-and-blood worker in conflict with his natural enemy, the policeman, I do not have to ask myself which side I am on.” 50 likes