Start by marking “Tender Hearts Taste Better in Butter” as Want to Read:
Tender Hearts Taste Better in Butter

Tender Hearts Taste Better in Butter

A kidnapping turns to be unexpectedly deadly when the Mafia encounters ogres and demons. This is one of several tales in the Smoky Mountain Horrors collection.
Audible Audio, unabridged, 0 pages
Published March 1st 2009 by Big Happy Family, LLC (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Tender Hearts Taste Better in Butter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tender Hearts Taste Better in Butter

Start your review of Tender Hearts Taste Better in Butter
Becky
Catch-up review #3!

I picked this little story up from Audible for free simply based on the title and the cover - I knew nothing at all about it. I thought that it was going to be a fucked up backwoods realistic fiction type of story. A gut-wrencher of a story whose title would make sense only in metaphor.

Nope. This was not at all what I was expecting, but it was fun and bizarre and definitely piqued my interest in reading more of Ochse's work.

Though, admittedly, not on audio again if he reads
Landon
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I know this, a kidnapping book. But when he kidnapped the children I was thinking when it first started off is this dude a child molester but the little girl said the same thing " are you going to stick your thing in me" I'm sorry I had to laugh, I'm like wait a minute? I hate kidnappers and rapists, child molesters. But Bruh I'm weak at this book because he said: "I looked up at the most ugliest women, the bad side of a zombie movie." the way he was describing how the lady look was so f*ckn ...more
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Looks at title.

Hannibal, is that you?

*Soils pants*

Okay, so Hannibal isn't in it but there is a mysterious yet creepy girl-child who doesn't mind munching on meat of the two-legged, walking, talking variety . . . while they're still alive. (Anyone else thinking of the Eddie Izzard scene in Hannibal when he's forced to eat his own thigh?) The main character really kidnapped the wrong kids. Nothing goes his way.

Kidnappers beware!

*Free short story from Audible, perhaps a little too short for me.
Daniel
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
I am a foreign English speaking one and even though I am rather good in understanding plain English, I had nearly no chance to understand a word of this story. Even with half of the playback speed it was very hard to understand.
The author himself is narrating. As he is no professional narrator and a native one, it is really hard for me to keep up with him.
I caught most of the plot, but the last 3-5 minutes were that hard, that I just can imagine the outcome.
SℓιM
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
I thought this book was very good, I wish that it could've been longer than what it was because it had my attention from beginning to end and I was laughing so hard when he got to the restaurant and didn't know the little girl was some animal see why those kids weren't scared when he had kidnapped them.
Lauren
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
this was an interesting short story about a gentleman who was owed money and decide to kidnap the kids of the person that owed him money. Blink and you'll miss it because it then turns into a violent bloodbath. I wish we had a few more details to make the story blend. but I have to say it did keep my attention and left me wondering.
Lisa
Apr 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I enjoyed it quite a bit. A bit gruesome. I do think that the author could have slowed down his reading just a bit, but I don't have much experience listening to other audiobooks/authors. I have another book for this author, look forward to reading it.
Claire Gilligan
Nov 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sff
It was an interesting premise, carried out fairly well... but the author's narration took away from the story somewhat. Might be better on kindle than audible, but I'd certainly read something else by this author.
Brian
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I listened to this for free from Audible. I wasn't totally sure what to expect, but it was pretty good. I don't know what people are talking about concerning the narration, he reads it fine. I am definitely interested in reading/listening to this author's works after going through this story.
Derrick
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was pretty funny yet too short. I love short stories so I am hoping for more like these but a tad longer.
Sunny
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
funny story with a nice twist
Ryan Miller
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Pretty cool little short story.....certainly fits the horror genre!
Liz
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
An unpleasant short story.
Peter
Nov 04, 2015
Jonelle Sherwood
May 27, 2018
Weston Ochse
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Houstonc
Simon
Dec 08, 2015
Monica
Mar 24, 2013

• My Soul to Lose (Soul Screamers, #0.5)
  • The Demon Next Door
  • The Witches of New York
  • When Women Ruled the World: Six Queens of Egypt
  • A Crucible of Souls (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #1)
  • Harley Merlin and the Mystery Twins (Harley Merlin #2)
  • The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #1)
  • Harley Merlin and the Stolen Magicals (Harley Merlin #3)
  • Harley Merlin and the First Ritual (Harley Merlin #4)
  • Harley Merlin and the Broken Spell (Harley Merlin, #5)
  • Harley Merlin and the Cult of Eris (Harley Merlin, #6)
  • Harley Merlin and the Detector Fix (Harley Merlin, #7)
  • Lasher (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #2)
  • Harley Merlin and the Challenge of Chaos (Harley Merlin, #8)
The American Library Association calls Weston Ochse “one of the major horror authors of the 21 st Century.” He has been praised by USA Today, The Atlantic, The New York Post, The Financial Times of London, Publishers Weekly, Peter Straub, Joe Lansdale, Jon Maberry, Kevin J. Anderson, David Gerrold, William C. Dietz, Tim Lebbon, Christopher Golden, and many more of the world’s best-selling ...more