Start by marking “Strangers on the 16:02” as Want to Read:
Strangers on the 16:02

Strangers on the 16:02

2.82  ·  Rating details ·  248 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
It's a hot, crowded train. Helen Summer is on her way to see her sister Jill to tell her an awful secret. Another passenger, Kerm, is on his way back from his grandfather's funeral. They are strangers, jammed against each other in a crowded carriage. Noisy school kids fill the train - and three of them are about to cause a whole heap of trouble. In the chaos, Helen and Ker ...more
Published February 17th 2011 by Transworld Digital (first published February 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Strangers on the 16, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strangers on the 16

Lance Greenfield
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
It happens every day in London

The characters in this book develop quite well for such a short story, and they all have their different dilemmas.

I always find it interesting to look at people in train carraiges, airports, railway stations, shopping centres, and even in cars alongside me in traffic jams, and wonder about their lives. Where have they come from and where are they going to? What is going on in their lives? Are they agonising over some huge, personal life problem?

This is what Strange
Sandra Bašić
Dosadno za poludit
Nikki-ann
On a hot and crowded train, strangers are jammed against each other. Helen is on her way to see her sister to tell her an awful secret, while Kerm is on his way home from his grandfather’s funeral. Noisy school kids and students fill the train and three of them in particular are about to cause a whole load of trouble. Helen and Kerm have never met before, but they are about to get thrown together in a way they never expected.

I picked up Strangers on the 16:02 because I often wonder about other p
Stephen
Interesting short story about 3 characters on the 16.02 train whose interaction with each other has tragic events. Easy read as part of the quick reads series
Vickie Ramage
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Am I the only person who enjoyed this Quick Read? Apparently so. Flick through the reviews on GoodReads and the stars go no higher than 3, of people that bothered to review the book.

It's a pretty simple story, as you can guess from the description. You view the lives of three characters that meet one day on a train - Helen, who has just discovered a secret and is travelling to see her sister to talk to her about it, Kerm, a Doctor, who's head is filled with thoughts of his Grandfather and his fa
Molly
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unreadables

What? That's it! What happens!?! Jesus. The ending is unexpected and badly written. The whole book leads to nothing.
Fiona
Strangers on the 16:02 is from a collection of ‘Quick Reads’ which have been written by authors and celebrities for World Book Day to give people something fast to read on the bus or train. Something that people can fit in with their daily lives so they can no longer complain that they don’t have time to read.

I fancied a quick read myself today and the premise of this book sounded quite interesting. I bought the ebook for £2.09 and decided to read it in honour of World Book Day.

I’m not used to
Danielle
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never read any books by this author before but Oh my goodness what a fantastic story! I'm trying to expand my reading tastes as normally I read is chick lit. So I was in my local library yesterday picked it up and read the back and gave it a go and finnished it in one evening- although its a short read book!
I find it interesting to look at people if im in a traffic jam in a car or a bus and think and wonder about there lives where are they going and what is going on.

What I loved about t
Mark
Oct 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
Helen Summer is on a train, going to see her sister Jill with some terrible news. Another passenger is Kerm, a doctor, on his way home from his grandfather’s funeral. When a load of schoolkids get on, including Innocent, Blessing and Comfort (three black youths who are ready for trouble), things take a turn for the worse. This is a terrible book, it really is, as if the Quick Reads people had asked Priya Basil for a story and she sent them a synopsis for a new novel. The writing is often clunky, ...more
Ash Chamberlain
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i bought this book last year and figured its time to finally getting to it. It's such a short story, didn't know what to expect going in, but i wasn't disappointed. This story is basically a snapshot of a few characters lives who happen to all be on the same train, they are all going through different things and are all written very well. I'm totally more of a character person than a plot person, and i have to say, just by this short book, i was hooked and didn't want it to end. an hour long rea ...more
Caroline
Dec 08, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you are going to write a book, write one that assumes that the reader can understand long words, develop the characters and finish the book! This book had great potential from the info on the back cover but sadly the book didn't challenge me and gave me just enough about the people to want to know more and then finished. Is this because the author can write lots of short books (just 100 pages) and keep us hanging like a soap opera? Such a waste of a book. Ms Basil please write this book again ...more
Natalee
Well, read this book in an hour or so and I'm still trying to figure out what I thought of it! I mean, for a quick read its quite interesting. You do get a feeling for the characters and their lives. I was entertained. The teenagers called Innocent, Blessing and Comfort were a bit much though. I know that it's fiction but I'm a bit bored of black youths being portrayed this way in a negative light. Yes, I get that she was trying to do - well actually I don't. It feels a bit sterotypical, maybe n ...more
Phillip
Mar 07, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is a terrible book, its only saving grace being that it is short, but even then it is a struggle to read. The narrative voice is very poor and it reads like it has been written by a novice in a creative writing class. The charachters are little more than clichés and have very little going for them. As relieved as I was to finally reach the end, the ending itself is as awful as the rest of the story, and you'll be left with the feeling that you've just wasted the last 40 minutes or so of you ...more
Amina
Oct 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

It is a mini read as the title states.

There are three main characters or groups of characters, Kerm, Hellen and a group of three boys who all called the trinty and have various unusual names. The book describes a little about them and their lives and what brings them to the train at that point and how their lives become entangled in one another.

I did enjoy this book but it was a tad predictable. A nice easy read that does not challenge the brain too much. I did at the end want a bit more. I want
uniquechicgeek
As this is from the Quick Reads set, I assume that there was some kind of limit as to the length and the author couldn't find anything to cut. This is the only way that the abrupt ending can be explained anything close to satisfactorily. The rest of the book was quite good, reasonably written and fairly easy to believe for the most part, just the ending let it down a LOT. I would read others by this author but I won't be seeking them out.
Edel
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short story about the journey of the passengers on this train is both alarming and eye opening... Putting ourselves in the position of the passengers it makes you wonder what you would do if you were put in the same position. This really made me think while making me slightly worried that things like this really happen... The story was both engrossing and frightening...I would definitely recommend this for a fast read.. You will not be able to put it down!
Sae-chan
I bought this book for my birthday on my birthday- 16th Feb. I feel a little bit eerie when I saw the title.

The prejudices and masks. The twists and turns of this life. The difficulty of departing gracefully. Maybe these are the things I'm supposed to learn this year. Or in the years left with me.

As a story, this is too messy and all over the place.
Richard
Quite a strong quick read that speaks of relationships within families and how people are drawn to together in a crowded train that stops outside a station.
Good pace, dialogue and setting of mood make this a very readable short story.
You feel the sense of panic, the claustrophobia of the train carriage and growing tension of trying not to get involved.
Lara
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A short story with a lot in it. Was impressed about with a lot of moral issues covered in just over 100 pages, and the way different people view the same situation.

Bit too much backward and forward in time, and not really into stories which don't end, as was the case here. Was a bit of a cliff hanger finish so having to make up my own story end... to a 100 page book!

Shriya
Two lives two stories meet on a commute.

I have never heard of Priya Basil til this Quick Reads. The cover states how a train journey goes terribly wrong. Yes it did but I don't understand why it was unfinished. Felt rushed to me.
Fiona
Feb 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what to make of this. I know it was supposed to be a quick read but I think it just confused me so much more. I also felt like it was rushed a bit at the end and I got lost at points. It's not the worst book I've read but it's not been the best :) F x
Stuart Warner
This book seems to end quite abruptly. I think it's supposed to let the reader decide on what should happen next based on their own experiences but it seems more of forgetfulness, to actually end the story. It's a pity really as the little there was of the story had potential.
Sam Wilkinson
Personally, I found the switching between PoVs to be clunky, and I found the ending very abrupt.

the character development was well done in a short space of time, and the premise was a good one, but I would have preferred something a little more detailed at the end.
Kris McCracken
A short novel, this reads more like synopsis for a new novel than a complete work. Painted in broad strokes, it does a reasonable job in constructing three very different characters, reaching a climax between the three, then it ends. Frustrating.
Den
Jul 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, 2014
A quick read this morning. I can imagine a similar 'bullying' situation happens more often than we know about.
The gist of the story is that two people are thrown together on a crowded train when three thugs decide they don't want to respect the law.
Norman
The blurb reads as if this is quite interesting and it was. My problem with it is personal. I have to deal with these issues every day (read the book and see what I mean). This is like reading a book about the procedure at a dentist. No-one enjoys it but it's nevertheless interesting
Laura Poole
Oct 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As others have said on here, this short story is unformed. For a short story, it spends a lot of time building the characters up- and then when the crisis finally comes, it doesn't even bother to tell us what has happened. Sadly, I don't think I'll be bothering to read anything else by this author.
Sam
Jun 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Julie
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think I get the idea of this story but the ending was to quick which left me confused. Not one of the better Quick Reads.
Dave
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
Chekov style drama with inter-cut background stories for the three main characters (that were actually more interesting than the main story itself).
bbb 1 3 Jun 10, 2014 12:46PM
  • Last Night Another Soldier
  • Public Property (Freya Johnson, #2)
  • Doctor Who: The Silurian Gift
  • Love Is Blind
  • Once Upon A Winter
  • The Marriage Price
  • Once upon a Christmas
  • Belinda Goes to Bath (The Traveling Matchmaker, #2)
  • Happy Families (Quick Reads)
  • The Baby Diaries
  • My Story
  • Diana's Hound (Bloodhounds, #4)
  • The Round Tower
  • The Accidental Time Traveller
  • The C-Word
  • Deaf in America: Voices from a Culture
  • A Pirate's Dream (Kingdom Series, #11)
  • I Am What I Am
Priya grew up in Kenya, returning to the UK to study English Literature at the University of Bristol. She had a career in advertising before becoming a full time writer. In 2010 Priya, and the journalist Matthias Fredrich-Auf der Horst, initiated Authors for Peace. It is intended to be a platform from which writers can actively use literature in different ways to promote peace. The first event by ...more
More about Priya Basil...