Start by marking “Clockworks (Locke & Key, #5)” as Want to Read:
Clockworks (Locke & Key, #5)

Clockworks

(Locke & Key #5)

4.50  ·  Rating details ·  19,830 ratings  ·  1,221 reviews
Locke & Key tells of Keyhouse, an unlikely New England mansion, with fantastic doors that transform all who dare to walk through them.... and home to a hate-filled and relentless creature that will not rest until it forces open the most terrible door of them all...! After the gruesome murder of their father, the Locke kids, Tyler, Kinsey and Bode move with their mother ...more
Published July 2013 by IDW Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Clockworks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clockworks

Raeleen Lemay
This volume is SO GOOD

— — — — — — — — — — — — — —

dat backstory doe
Anne
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Guess what time it is, kids?!
What time is it, Miss Anne?!
Time for the Time Key!

*Please hold all applause till the end*

description

So this is where we finally find out what started all this mess with the Locke's and their crazy-ass Keys. It's a very cool story involving a key that lets the kids go back in time, and watch specific events that happened in their ancestors' past.
Such as...the making of the keys.

description

Even better, you find out the whole story about their dad and his friends. It was really satisfying
HFK
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paidkindle, graphics
Thanks to Locke & Key sale at Amazon, I was able to purchase the remaining two volumes of the series, and continue after a longish break. My journey with this series has not been as impressive than it seems to be with the majority of graphic readers, mainly being in the three star rating scale with the exceptions of the volume 3, and now the volume 5.

To me this series has had too much fantasy elements instead of horror tropes to really tickle my fancy. I am not a great fan of fantasy that i
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Oh, those poor Locke kids . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography

but they still haven’t found what they’re looking for.

Clockworks is back to getting all the stars from me, because the story really amped up in preparation for the grand finale. If you have been ready for answers to ANY of the gajillions of questions the previous volumes had you asking, you should be quite satisfied by the end of this one.

So many answers. Squeeeeee!!!!

Not only do you find out the waywayw
mark monday
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
oooooo..... eerie backstory time! and the infernal force behind it all is... and this is no spoiler because hey check out the title of the first volume... CTHULHU! of course. i've been waiting for that title to have real relevance. ah, Cthulhu. ::happy sigh::

Photobucket

well, it's not exactly Cthulhu himself, but it is one of the lovecraftian god-beings - that crazy lady slash sentient swamp of bubbling un-life known as Shub-Niggurath. more on her later.

this is another superb volume in the superb series. a
Kristijan
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
APSOLUTNO SAVRŠENO!!!!
Definitivno do sada najbolji deo! Delovi priče se lagano nameštaju svaki na svoje mesto i dobijamo uvid u celinu. Hill je ovo apsolutno majstorski odradio, a Rodrigezov artwork je kao i uvek fenomenalan!!!
Jadranka

Kakva je zaraza ovaj serijal!!
Mislim da je petica možda i najbolji deo do sada.
Imajući to na umu, prosto se plašim kakva će biti završnica.
Algernon
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, comics

Album number five is where I reap the rewards of my patience and find the answers to most of the big questions and mysteries surrounding the Lovecraft Mansion, the role of the Locke family as guardians of the keys, the origins of the reality altering keys, the true nature of the Adversary, what is hidden in the sea cave under the cliffs, and what really happened one generation ago after a highschool theatre production of the Tempest by William Shakespeare.

the tempest

It all started during the American Revol
Calista
What a fantastic series. I mean from start to finish it feels like they had the whole thing planned out and knew where it was going. Joe Hill has created an amazing story here. Everything is building to a high pitch fever and I can't wait, am sad to finish this marvelous tale.

Clockworks is the backstory and we find out about Key house and what made the keys magic and how they work and all the dark secrets. We also see Randall when he was a teen with Dodge. We see why Dodge is so evil and how the
Brandon
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone. Seriously, this series is awesome.
Shelves: comix, fiction, 2012, favorites, idw
When I finished Clockworks, there was a note at the end of the book indicating that the story would be concluded with Book 6. I think this is a mistake. I think Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez should continue to work within the Lovecraft universe until the end of time.

All joking aside, these two are like the peanut butter and chocolate of comic books. Two great tastes that taste great together! Honestly, this series just keeps getting better as the dynamic duo keep pumping out a stream of greatne
Will M.
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
The first issue of volume 5 was terrible. I can't write this review without highlighting that aspect of the volume. I read half of the first issue in August, and I've only finished the whole thing today because of it. I'm sure the author had good intentions in writing a backstory of the keys, and I'm also sure a whole lot of you guys enjoyed reading about the origin, but it was too boring for me. Thankfully the rest of the volume made up for it.

What is the best way to make this series a whole lo
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, graphic-novels
I liked getting to know the backstory to the keys and I’m excited to read the final volume!
destiny ♎ [howling libraries]
Joe Hill has this bizarre-yet-fantastic writing aesthetic in which he likes to save the backstory for last. He just kind of plunges you into the heart of the story, and slowly works his way back until you understand why things are happening. This volume proved to me that Locke & Key is no difference. Fantastic volume with beautiful artwork and a twisted, delightful story, as always. I'm just sad that it's almost at an end.

In this volume, Tyler and Kinsey discover a brand new key: a time-shif
Chad
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing

We find out how the keys were made and what happened to Rendell, Luke, and their friends back in the 80's to set things down this tragic path. Like all the other volumes, there's some crazy, f-ed up shit in this. It all boils down to the next volume.
Ronyell
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Locke and Key Fans!!!
Locke and Key

5.5 stars!

Introduction:

After reading the previous four volumes of Joe Hill’s highly acclaimed graphic novel series “Locke and Key,” I was trying to figure out for the longest time about what the Locke kids’ father, Rendell Locke, knew about the keys that are located in the Lovecraft house. Well, let me proudly say that “Locke and Key: Clockworks” will reveal everything about the origin of the keys and the main villain himself!

What is this story about?

Even though Tyler and Kinsey Locke ma
Leah
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as good as I remembered it. So glad I decided to reread these.

6/16 - 6/17 2014
Holy flashbacks Batman! In Clockworks, we get to see the beginnings of Keyhouse Manor, the keys, the demons, all of it. We get to see the past recreated and it was such an experience to read and see.

Writing wise, Joe Hill is still bringing this world to life with adding to the plot, allowing the characters to continue to develop, and giving the Locke kids a fighting freaking chance. Being able to see the past w
Becky
History lesson! I love seeing the origins of things, and for sure the Timeshift Key would be my absolute favorite key, even with its limitations. So interesting to see how history has been shaped, especially the history surrounding such an interesting place as Keyhouse.

There were some really interesting developments in the story, and I'm curious to see how they play out in the final volume. I really liked seeing how Tyler is mirroring his father, but... better, in a way. A little winky-wink the
Amar
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Damn... that feels.
Odličan dio, ali baš odličan sa užasno tužnim krajem. Iako se priča gotovo ni milimetar nije pomakela spram prošlog dijela, dobijamo uvid u prošlost i saznajemo šta se '88. godine desilo, te se kockice polako slažu. Zaista sam oduvan.

Andrew
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Okay and I thought the last two comments about this series were tricky to put in to words - now I have some major spoilers I am desperately trying not to drop and yet say somehow they managed to do a major plot change and really up the pressure on the storyline.

Okay if that does not make sense I do apologise and basically say get the series as things are really starting to draw together but at the same time what you were expecting most certainly is not what will happen - okay I am doing it again
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
www.melissa413readsalot.blogspot.com

I loved how the novel started back in 1775 and what happened in that time. The novel goes back and forth showing different things in time so you get an idea of why things were happening in the previous books. Or I should say it explains a lot of them.

Poor little Bode is still lost out there somewhere. I hope it all works out with him eventually.

The graphics are amazing! I have loved each books graphics a lot, they are so crisp and clear!

I will post some pic
Jean Menzies
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favourite volumes in the Locke & Key series so far. After the last volume the plot has taken quite a turn and it was time for the creators of this story to unravel a little bit more of the history of the keys. A great deal of this volume is set in the past and creates an excellent back story for the events we have been watching unfold in volumes 1-4. We learn of the origins of the first key as well as the story of our protagonists' father's experience with the keys. Amongs ...more
Alissa Patrick
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This one is my favorite yet!!! I love going back to where it had all started to see what exactly had happened to make everything turn to shit for everyone. Loved it.

Dodge is such a great villain, and I can't wait to see what happens in the final installment
Mindi
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
See Locke & Key, Vol. 6: Alpha & Omega for my review of the entire series.
Katie
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Easily my favorite so far of the series.
Ashley
This is the one where you get all of the answers. And they are good answers! There's nothing so satisfying as a series that poses lots of interesting mysteries, then gives you compelling origins and solutions for all of them. Also, when some of those answers manage to surprise you, and re-contextualize what you thought about the story previously.

Clockworks opens with a strange flashback to the Revolutionary War, and we learn at last the origin story of the Keys. And so too do Kinsey and Tyler,
Iryna semi-hiatus (Book and Sword)
4.25/5 stars

! Warning: strong language and gory material !

This was absolutely insane! The most brutal volume up to date. I mean the first page is enough to make your eyes bleed! And it just doesn't stop! Also this volume has some of the best art. And the plot? amazing

The story is explained and nicely wrapped up around the time lines. So many things were uncovered and everything makes sense. It was fantastic to finally learn what exactly happened in the caves all those years ago.
Also I was re
Joy
"Ah, sorry. We were going to clean up but we kind of..."
"...lost track of time."

Oh, the IRONY!

Praise for the timeshift key because it has suddenly cleared up everything! The origins of Luke/Dodge/Zack/Lady in the Well/Bode, the unfortunate condition of Erin Voss, the mysterious deaths of two students back in 1988 and more finally comes to light in this volume. My only regret is that we still don't know how exactly the Keepers of the Keys "Tamers of the Tempest" got together and made Keyhouse Man
Ferdy
Spoilers

Best volume in the series so far, loved the reveal of how the various keys and past/present characters were all connected with each other, everything fit together so well and started to make perfect sense. It was so engrossing and interesting finding out about the history of the keys, Zack/Luke's past, and how all the craziness began.

I really wasn't expecting Randall and his brother pretty much being the sole cause of all the decades long chaos and mess everyone was in. Also, I was surp
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I actually read this about a week ago, and like every other entry in the Locke & Key series, I loved it. This volume was largely dedicated to explaining how Keyhouse came to be and also how the Locke family reached this point. Clockworks refers to a new key the kids have found that allows them to peer back into the past.

This also means, unfortunately, that not much progress is made in the present day narrative. So ultimately, the book was one whole cliffhanger between Volumes 4 & 6. Not
Michael Larson
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Look, I try to be conservative in giving out five stars, but this is just phenomenal storytelling, with writer and artist working together in perfect synchronization to create a beautiful, strange and scary world. When people talk about comics being the mythology of our times, this is what they're talking about.

The entire back story of the Keyhouse is presented within these pages. Events that have only previously been hinted at play out in all their bloody, full-color glory, and unlike so many s
Play Book Tag: Locke & Key. Vol. 5: Clockworks. 4 stars 1 7 Aug 13, 2018 07:31PM
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 5: On to Genesis
  • American Vampire, Vol. 4
  • Chew, Vol. 5: Major League
  • Rachel Rising, Volume 1: The Shadow of Death
  • Morning Glories, Vol. 3: P.E.
  • Revival, Vol. 4: Escape to Wisconsin
  • Sweet Tooth, Volume 4: Endangered Species
  • Baltimore, Vol. 1: The Plague Ships (Baltimore, #1)
Joe Hill's debut, Heart-Shaped Box, won the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel. His second, Horns, was made into a film freakfest starring Daniel Radcliffe. His other novels include NOS4A2, and his #1 New York Times Best-Seller, The Fireman... which was also the winner of a 2016 Goodreads Choice Award for Best Horror Novel.

He writes short stories too. Some of them were gathered together in

Locke & Key (6 books)
  • Welcome to Lovecraft (Locke & Key, #1)
  • Head Games (Locke & Key, #2)
  • Crown of Shadows (Locke & Key, #3)
  • Keys to the Kingdom (Locke & Key, #4)
  • Alpha & Omega (Locke & Key, #6)