Start by marking “Clockworks (Locke & Key, #5)” as Want to Read:
Clockworks (Locke & Key, #5)

Clockworks

(Locke & Key #5)

4.47  ·  Rating details ·  32,001 ratings  ·  1,915 reviews
Locke & Key tells of Keyhouse, an unlikely New England mansion, with fantastic doors that transform all who dare to walk through them.... and home to a hate-filled and relentless creature that will not rest until it forces open the most terrible door of them all...! After the gruesome murder of their father, the Locke kids, Tyler, Kinsey and Bode move with their mother Nin ...more
Published July 2013 by IDW Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Clockworks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clockworks

·  32,001 ratings  ·  1,915 reviews

Start your review of Clockworks (Locke & Key, #5)
Baba
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fifth volume of the Locke & Key sees the Timeshift Key help reveal the origin of the Keys and if that wasn't enough it may also reveal how Dodge was created and taken down first time round.

Great plotting, surprises and artwork continue as this series continues unabated. Joe Hill's best work, period! 8 out of 12.

2012 read; 2016 read
Anne
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Guess what time it is, kids?!
What time is it, Miss Anne?!
Time for the Time Key!

*Please hold all applause till the end*

description

So this is where we finally find out what started all this mess with the Locke's and their crazy-ass Keys. It's a very cool story involving a key that lets the kids go back in time, and watch specific events that happened in their ancestors' past.
Such as...the making of the keys.

description

Even better, you find out the whole story about their dad and his friends. It was really satisfying
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Oh, those poor Locke kids . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography

but they still haven’t found what they’re looking for.

Clockworks is back to getting all the stars from me, because the story really amped up in preparation for the grand finale. If you have been ready for answers to ANY of the gajillions of questions the previous volumes had you asking, you should be quite satisfied by the end of this one.

So many answers. Squeeeeee!!!!

Not only do you find out the wayw
mark monday
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
oooooo..... eerie backstory time! and the infernal force behind it all is... and this is no spoiler because hey check out the title of the first volume... CTHULHU! of course. i've been waiting for that title to have real relevance. ah, Cthulhu. ::happy sigh::

Photobucket

well, it's not exactly Cthulhu himself, but it is one of the lovecraftian god-beings - that crazy lady slash sentient swamp of bubbling un-life known as Shub-Niggurath. more on her later.

this is another superb volume in the superb series
Dave Schaafsma
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gn-horror
Since there is a Netflix series based on it, I am rereading the Locke & Key series with the family. A nice little horror series to bring the family together! The series tells of the Locke family, after the brutal murder of their father, moving into his ancestral family home, Keyhouse, a (gothic) mansion in Lovecraft (yes, this a tribute to horror-writer H. P. Lovecraft, obviously), that has transformative doors that open with a series of keys of which the inhabitants are keepers. Thanks to one k ...more
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, comics

Album number five is where I reap the rewards of my patience and find the answers to most of the big questions and mysteries surrounding the Lovecraft Mansion, the role of the Locke family as guardians of the keys, the origins of the reality altering keys, the true nature of the Adversary, what is hidden in the sea cave under the cliffs, and what really happened one generation ago after a highschool theatre production of the Tempest by William Shakespeare.

the tempest

It all started during the American Revol
Tan Markovic
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5
Probably my favourite volume of the series!
Kerri
Oct 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: most-loved
SECOND READ:
Just as hard hitting as the first time. It's an incredibly sad volume. Almost every character goes through such awful experiences. It's all done beautifully. I really like the Owl Key. 🦉

FIRST READ:
Probably my favourite volume so far. I loved getting the back stories to both the origin of the keys/what is in the cave, and what happened to Rendell, Dodge and the rest. Heartbreaking - - and I hadn't expected to love Dodge so much. The real Dodge I mean, and that just made it all the mor
Calista
What a fantastic series. I mean from start to finish it feels like they had the whole thing planned out and knew where it was going. Joe Hill has created an amazing story here. Everything is building to a high pitch fever and I can't wait, am sad to finish this marvelous tale.

Clockworks is the backstory and we find out about Key house and what made the keys magic and how they work and all the dark secrets. We also see Randall when he was a teen with Dodge. We see why Dodge is so evil and how the
Trish
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The penultimate volume in this series gives us the Time-Turn Key. With it, Kinsey and Ty are travelling back in time and the reader thus learns alongside them how the very first key, the Omega Key, was forged and why. They also go back and learn what happened to their father and his friends all those years ago after the school play (and it paints a light on their father that I defintiely do not like - I prefer the events as they happened on the show).
We see how a demon came through the Omega Doo
¸¸.•*¨*•♫ Mrs. Buttercup •*¨*•♫♪
RCO004-1473824716

Now this was definitely the best volume so far. Loved the story, the lovecraftian references in this one are on point, and the cliffhanger at the end didn't feel as forced as the others. I am so glad I kept on reading this series!
Pantelis Andreou
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Only one chapter left.. don’t want this to end..

Loved the whole backstory of this!
Brandon
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, comix, 2012
When I finished Clockworks, there was a note at the end of the book indicating that the story would be concluded with Book 6. I think this is a mistake. I think Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez should continue to work within the Lovecraft universe until the end of time.

All joking aside, these two are like the peanut butter and chocolate of comic books. Two great tastes that taste great together! Honestly, this series just keeps getting better as the dynamic duo keep pumping out a stream of greatne
Will M.
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
The first issue of volume 5 was terrible. I can't write this review without highlighting that aspect of the volume. I read half of the first issue in August, and I've only finished the whole thing today because of it. I'm sure the author had good intentions in writing a backstory of the keys, and I'm also sure a whole lot of you guys enjoyed reading about the origin, but it was too boring for me. Thankfully the rest of the volume made up for it.

What is the best way to make this series a whole lo
Virginie Roy
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars: wow, the best of the series. I really enjoyed seeing more of Rendell and his friends in the past.
Now, let's see if the next book (the last one) is as good as this one!

After writing my own review, I scrolled through the other reviews and I'm not surprised to see it seems everyone's favorite!
Chad
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing

We find out how the keys were made and what happened to Rendell, Luke, and their friends back in the 80's to set things down this tragic path. Like all the other volumes, there's some crazy, f-ed up shit in this. It all boils down to the next volume.
Ginger
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Clockworks is the 5th book in the Locke and Key series and I really enjoyed this addition!!

We go back in time to see what happened between Rendell Locke, Dodge and their friends on why Dodge is evil. Wow! It's a sad story when it comes down to it.

I really enjoyed the time travel in Clockworks to 1775 and read how the keys came into existence. All of the backstory in this addition has been really good to the plot and just what's going on with Keyhouse and the cliffs!

I'm been really impressed by J
Shannara
Mar 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
How could this happen!?!?!? I’ve been reading these on ComiXology as free/ included with membership, but come to find out, volume six is not included!!!!!! I cannot believe it!!! I’m so very irritated...... just to be clear, the companion, Heaven & Earth isn’t included either. So I can either spend about $21 for the two as digital copies, or get the paperback set at $52. Have I mentioned I’m seriously annoyed!?

Anyway, book five is my favorite so far because of all stuff the kids are figuring out
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, z2018
I liked getting to know the backstory to the keys and I’m excited to read the final volume!
Andrew
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well it was just a matter of time before this book was revised after all I have read them all again up to this point. The thing is that as things start to spiral to its conclusion (but not yet) you have to see how bad it all gets, I guess its part of the morbid fascination.

However what can I say without spoilers and considering that not only would I hate to ruin it for other readings there is also the fact that the TV series is also no where near this point either - so I really do not want to u
Allison Hurd
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another strong installment. This had me gasping, full horror movie style. "No! Don't do it!" I yelled at stationary art written a decade ago.

They didn't listen.

CONTENT WARNING: (view spoiler)

Story: We go back in time in this one, and a lot of gaps start filling in. It wasn't as thrilling to me action-wise, but it was certainly captivating t
Stewart Tame
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The more I read of this series, the more I like it. This volume gives us some glimpses of the past, particularly the nature of the keys and what exactly the Omega Key is for. It turns out that the name "Lovecraft" isn't just a nod to fandom--there's actual Lovecraftian entities at the bottom of all of this. The next volume should be quite a show!

Hill and Rodriguez make a wonderful team. Hill has thought through the story completely and tells it clearly. He clearly has had the ending in mind this
destiny ♡ howling libraries
Joe Hill has this bizarre-yet-fantastic writing aesthetic in which he likes to save the backstory for last. He just kind of plunges you into the heart of the story, and slowly works his way back until you understand why things are happening. This volume proved to me that Locke & Key is no difference. Fantastic volume with beautiful artwork and a twisted, delightful story, as always. I'm just sad that it's almost at an end.

In this volume, Tyler and Kinsey discover a brand new key: a time-shifting
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
www.melissa413readsalot.blogspot.com

I loved how the novel started back in 1775 and what happened in that time. The novel goes back and forth showing different things in time so you get an idea of why things were happening in the previous books. Or I should say it explains a lot of them.

Poor little Bode is still lost out there somewhere. I hope it all works out with him eventually.

The graphics are amazing! I have loved each books graphics a lot, they are so crisp and clear!

I will post some pic
exploraDora
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
***5 stars***

I am simply blown away by this graphic novel series! 🙀

Full review coming soon.
Becky
History lesson! I love seeing the origins of things, and for sure the Timeshift Key would be my absolute favorite key, even with its limitations. So interesting to see how history has been shaped, especially the history surrounding such an interesting place as Keyhouse.

There were some really interesting developments in the story, and I'm curious to see how they play out in the final volume. I really liked seeing how Tyler is mirroring his father, but... better, in a way. A little winky-wink the
Antonella 🍂
Ronyell
Locke and Key

5.5 stars!

Introduction:

After reading the previous four volumes of Joe Hill’s highly acclaimed graphic novel series “Locke and Key,” I was trying to figure out for the longest time about what the Locke kids’ father, Rendell Locke, knew about the keys that are located in the Lovecraft house. Well, let me proudly say that “Locke and Key: Clockworks” will reveal everything about the origin of the keys and the main villain himself!

What is this story about?

Even though Tyler and Kinsey L
Ashley Daviau
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual, I was absolutely blown away by both storyline and artwork. Joe Hill just never disappoints and ups his game with each new instalment. Just when I think it can’t get better, it does! This instalment is by far by favourite out of the series so far, I absolutely adored the glimpse into the past. It really added a new and interesting element to the story and I couldn’t have loved it more. If you haven’t read this graphic novel series yet, what are you waiting for?!
Play Book Tag: Locke & Key. Vol. 5: Clockworks. 4 stars 1 10 Aug 13, 2018 07:31PM

• Le chiavi del regno. Locke & key: 4
  • Something is Killing the Children, Vol. 2
  • Something is Killing the Children, Vol. 3
  • Something is Killing the Children, Vol. 1
  • Fables, Vol. 3: Storybook Love (Fables, #3)
  • iZombie, Vol. 3: Six Feet Under and Rising
  • The Cape
  • The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
  • iZombie, Vol. 2: uVampire
  • Season of Mists (The Sandman, #4)
  • The Nice House on the Lake, Vol. 1
  • Something is Killing the Children, Vol. 4
  • The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1:  Apocalypse Suite
  • Earthdivers #1
  • American Vampire, Vol. 2
  • The Doll's House (The Sandman, #2)
  • Dream Country (The Sandman, #3)
  • iZombie, Vol. 4: Repossession
See top shelves…
Joe Hill's debut, Heart-Shaped Box, won the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel. His second, Horns, was made into a film freakfest starring Daniel Radcliffe. His other novels include NOS4A2, and his #1 New York Times Best-Seller, The Fireman... which was also the winner of a 2016 Goodreads Choice Award for Best Horror Novel.

He writes short stories too. Some of them were gathered together in

Locke & Key (6 books)
  • Welcome to Lovecraft (Locke & Key, #1)
  • Head Games (Locke & Key, #2)
  • Crown of Shadows (Locke & Key, #3)
  • Keys to the Kingdom (Locke & Key, #4)
  • Alpha & Omega (Locke & Key, #6)