Start by marking “Penny Candy” as Want to Read:
Penny Candy

Penny Candy

15 new, extremely funny, pieces by the author of "Please Don't Eat the Daisies." These stories run the gamut from home entertaining to Twiggy with a laugh every step of the way.
Mass Market Paperback, 186 pages
Published 1971 by Fawcett (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Penny Candy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Penny Candy

Debra B.
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book reflects the year 1970 when it was written, and the years immediately preceding it when the essays included in the book were published in various magazines, it was a highly entertaining book. Very funny. Jean Kerr was a gifted writer.
Mel
Feb 19, 2011 rated it liked it
My final Jean Kerr book from the trifecta offered by the library was equally entertaining.

Penny Candy follows the same formula as her previous anthologies – essays on motherhood, marriage, fashion, décor and exercise (or lack thereof) – told from a vintage 1950s point of view.

I liked this least of the three that I read, but one of her final chapters, “Culture Night” was fabulous! Of her six children, the older four were nearing, what we would refer to as their “tween” years. She decided that the
Valerie
Unfortunately, I no longer have a copy of this (I'll keep looking).

By process of elimination, however, I can reconstruct what's in it by not finding it in the other two (Please Don't Eat The Daisies and The Snake Has All The Lines).

Thus I know, for example that this is the volume in which Kerr explains why she didn't call this book Wait for Me, Butterfly. And also the book in which she explains that she vainly tries to convince salesclerks that she can't wear beige because she IS beige. And the
Persephone
Jan 17, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a collection of Jean Kerr's essays as they appeared in magazines of the sixties. I got it out because I fondly remember the superlative article "The Poet and the Peasants", about Kerr's efforts to introduce her five sons (her one daughter was too young at the time) to poetry and classical music. The other articles are amusing, but mostly dated. Kerr's upper middle-class world of New York's bedroom communities with large families is probably long-gone. (No one can afford both anymore.) Th ...more
Linda Hart
Apr 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read this book about 40 years ago and just read it and laughed out loud several times again. It is a collection of very funny pieces, e.g. Entertaining at Home: "1600 people are just too many,"Twiggy: "Actually I have nothing against Twiggy. She seems like a most delightful boy," and Plants: "I never know when to cut back. When the proper monment comes, we seem to be out to dinner or something." I recently cleaned out Mom's bookcase and this was one of her books that I brought home. I was deli ...more
Tristan
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kind-of-classic
I love this book. Every story is funny, especially "I Just Stepped out of Vogue" and "The Poet and the Peasants". the "Introduction" is great too. I have read this many times and each time it just gets better; Jean Kerr is the crown jewel of humorists. Her work is a tad dated, but that can even add to the fun, as in "As I Was Saying to a Geranium". Just read it, even if you aren't a pre-teen or post-operative (you'll get it when you read it.).
Lavalette
817.54
Beth Starr
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, non-fiction, memoir
Great chapter about doing Poetry with her children.
Leslie
Jul 25, 2014
Karen
Sep 24, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jean Kerr was an American author and playwright, best known for her humorous bestseller, Please Don't Eat the Daisies, and the plays King of Hearts and Mary, Mary. She was married to drama critic Walter Kerr and was the mother of six children.