Start by marking “The Heiress Effect (Brothers Sinister, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Heiress Effect (Brothers Sinister, #2)

The Heiress Effect (Brothers Sinister #2)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  9,038 Ratings  ·  1,022 Reviews
Miss Jane Fairfield can’t do anything right. When she’s in company, she always says the wrong thing—and rather too much of it. No matter how costly they are, her gowns fall on the unfortunate side of fashion. Even her immense dowry can’t save her from being an object of derision.

And that’s precisely what she wants. She’ll do anything, even risk humiliation, if it means she
Published July 15th 2013 by Courtney Milan

To ask other readers questions about The Heiress Effect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heiress Effect

Navessa
There are a lot of wonderful reviews for this book.

There’s a reason.

A while back I wrote a review for a different historical romance that was pretty much a how-to for writers wanting to break into the game. Courtney Milan’s reaction to it would probably be something like this:

I’ve read…a lot of HRs. What can I say? It’s my go-to genre for rainy days. Whenever I’m feeling blue or have had a shitty week at work I know I can pick one up and have my frown turned upside down by witty banter, silly m
Jill
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it

Miss Jane Fairfield is a loud, over-talkative social misfit. Her gowns are unfashionable, hideous creations. Despite her fortune, and her plump yet pleasant looks, she is considered a joke no man would seriously consider marrying. She is an object of ridicule. And she wants it that way. If Jane can remain unmarried, she can stay with her sister and protect her from their guardian, their uncle.

Mr Oliver Marshall knows what it means to be shunned. A duke's bastard, Oliver has been caught
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Kindle Deal - temporarily $0.99 - A STEAL!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D... via @amazon

Another Brilliant Brothers Sinister Story!!

Without fail, Courtney Milan writes the most amazing historical romance novels. They’re stories that draw you in with characters who come to life and make you wish to be part of their world. The stories have so much truth to them, such depth, and yet, because of the characters, there’s much humor and passion as well.

The Heiress Effect is the second book in th
Jilly
The heroine in this book is the kind of girl that you want to know. She has 100,000 pounds as her dowry, but doesn't want to marry. She turns herself into the craziest, most unfashionable woman there is in order to make the men simply turn and run when they see her coming. They dubbed her the "feather heiress" although she should be more of the laced heiress or beaded heiress. She brings tears to the eyes of anyone with decent taste when she enters a room.

Some descriptions of her clothing:
It wa
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Actual rating: 4.5

Recommended for HR fans who want to read about believable, flawed, mature characters. There is no pettiness here, there are no fits, no tantrums, no spitefulness, no determination to avoid a relationship for the sake of not wanting a commitment and a fear of love. Courtney Milan always writes exceptional characters, and this book follows that very satisfying formula. Unlike the first book in this series, I found the characters to be interesting, the plot, while partially politi
Stacia (the 2010 club)
It hurt his head, that pink, yet he couldn't look away.

When the scene came up in Heiress Effect with Jane wearing the hideous pink dress, I was instantly recalling a moment from the show Firefly when Kaylee wore the tacky, pink, poofy dress. Ah, memories.

One might wonder why Jane is wearing hideous clothes to begin with. Let's just say that she's the exact opposite of a woman having a coming out. Jane doesn't want to attract a man. She wants to send them all running for the hills. Why? She h
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*4.5 stars*

Apparently I messed up the order of the series, listening to The Governess Affair followed by this one, skipping The Duchess War. No matter, I had no trouble following along. In fact, I was totally riveted the entire time.

This audiobook was... dreamy.

I like my historical romance, M/F especially, a very specific way. So far, Tessa Dare has been the only one to get it spot on, but I can now add Courtney Milan to the list.

I love an offbeat heroine and Jane was quirky, outspoken, and j
Buubu
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hr, perfect, 5-stars
Update Nov 2017

Sometimes, rereading a favourite can turn into a huge mistake: My tastes may have changed; or a certain part, I overlooked the first time, simply grates and it's just wrong.

But most of the time, rereading my favourites is like coming home. 'Coming home' has a quite literal meaning to me due to circumstances in my life, but that's neither here nor there. But when I do come home, it makes me want to hug the world.

Reading The Heiress Effect again felt indeed like I wanted to hug Jane
Susanne
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Historical Romance - 4 stars!

Courtney Milan is a wonderful author and the Brother Sinister series is a wonderful series. This was by far the funniest romance I've read in a while and CM's funniest to date!

wendy

Jane needs to stay unmarried until her sister turns 21 and can escape from her guardian. And she will do anything to stay unmarried.

"You", he said with a small gesture of his hand, "are an anti-chameleon."
"I am an ant-eating what?"
"And anti-chameleon. The opposite of a chameleon," he explaine
Ally
Oh Oliver, you simply cannot keep a good woman down.

no shame

That's right. The woman has no shame nor should she.

Read for URR New Years 2017 Challenge, Victorian category

Series:Yep

Sexy times: Our lovely couple gets busy a couple of times, nothing graphic.

Plan on reading more by the author: Yup - got to finish the series, don't I?

Synopsis: Oliver has been taught that to get anywhere in this world he must shut up. Jane refuses to be quiet or perfect. Jane has wads of green, a misguided and, in such, abus
Alba Turunen
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Al igual que el anterior de la serie, éste libro me ha gustado bastante. He encontrado ciertas similitudes, pero han sido sobre todo por el mismo ambiente original que tuvo la primera novela. Lo que sí puedo destacar desde el principio es que el mayor elogio del libro se lo lleva su protagonista femenina: Jane ¡Es todo un personaje!

¿Qué encontramos en éste libro? Pues volvemos a estar lejos de Londres (por lo menos durante más de la mitad de la novela). "La ventaja de la heredera" se desarrolla
Ingela
Written September 17, 2014

4.8 Stars - The fourth BRILLIANT part in this lovely Brothers Sinister series.

Book #2

About a very wealthy '100.000' heiress who doesn't want to be a bride for marrige in the next 480 days ~ And the man who can't but feel and be interested in this wildly silly young lady who is looking lika a glittery peacock...with a lot of dangerous feathers.

...sigh devoutly with increased heart rate. - Impressing good!! This story give us wonderful (ordinary human) characters, big em
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
I have nothing but praise for Courtney Milan’s books. Her stories are beautifully written, original and thought-provoking, her characters are compelling and her historical research is meticulous.

Jane is such a wonderful heroine with her selfless love for her sister and her overwhelming desire to protect Emily even when it means exposing herself to ridicule. I love her self-awareness. She knows how awful she is but uses it to her advantage. Beneath those garish dresses is a smart, determined woma
Pepa
3.5
Reseña completa: http://masromance.blogspot.com.es/201...
Otra novela entretenida con personajes con fuerza y algo "inusuales"
Empieza con mucha fuerza aunque luego pierde algo de originalidad, me ha resultado muy entretenida.
Está claro que esta mujer gusta de protagonistas femeninas que rompen con los cánones de la época, quizás no cuide en exceso la ambientación, pero aún así disfruto de sus lecturas.
Seguramente son rápidamente olvidables, pero mientas las lees pasas un rato muy agradable co
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Readers
4.5stars (or A grade) … A Witty Historical Romance
The sly implication that Oliver didn’t belong, the even slyer one that he’d been subsumed into Bradenton’s goals instead of being a person in his own right…Bradenton reminded him of an old farmer, walking the perimeter of his property every day, testing the fences and peering suspiciously at this neighbors, making sure that his side and their side were clearly delineated.

Mr. Oliver Marshall has a loving family. His parents have sacrificed so
KatLynne
4.5 Stars

Courtney Milan is a gifted wordsmith and a master at her craft! You can always count on a cast of characters that are unique as well as a story that will engage you from start to finish.

One of my favorite things about her books are the female leads. Each of her stories brings to life a female who exudes intelligence, is witty as well as having a backbone. It’s thoroughly refreshing and there’s never a dull moment with banter that’s exceptionally appealing.

The heroes are all pretty exc
Jen
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

”I have something to tell you,” she whispered, and he leaned in to hear her secret. “I am not a blight. I am not a pestilence. And I refuse to be a piece sacrificed for the greater glory of your game.

Courtney Milan’s The Heiress Effect is a poignant and wonderfully written story about a young woman with a big problem. Jane Fairfield just can’t seem to do anything right. Her clothes are too gaudy, her body’s too round and the most inappropriate things seem to come out of her mouth on
Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
For me, this was so much better than The Duchess War. The romance didn't make me swoon or give me butterflies, but this was just a really good story. Some of the themes resonated with me personally. I liked this!
Lady Wesley
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone in the entire world
19 July 2013: Edited to add: I'm pleased to share that this is my debut review on the Romantic Historical Lovers blog. Wheeee! I've always wanted to have a debut!

Wealthy heiress Jane Fairfield is the laughing-stock of polite Cambridge society, and that’s just the way she likes it. She is counting the days until her younger sister reaches her majority, when Jane can liberate Emily from the tyranny of her guardian, their Uncle Titus. Until then, Jane will continue living in their uncle’s house doi
Caz
I've given this an A at AAR, which means it's that rare animal, a FIVE star read! Because honestly, I couldn't find anything to dislike about it :)

Ms Milan’s novella The Governess Affair, which is the prequel to this series, was one of my favourite books from late 2012, and I’ve listed Hugo and Serena from that story as one of my favourite couples on my reviewer profile here at AAR. Oliver Marshall, the hero of The Heiress Effect is their son, and I’ve been eagerly awaiting his story since I rea
Viri
Una historia poco común

Me gustó, pero no pude conectar con sus protagonistas, es una novela bien contada, pero le faltó vida, esa chispa que tuvo el primer libro estuvo mas bien escaza aquí. Está bien para pasar el rato pero no tiene tantos sobresaltos.

PD: Voy por mi Sebastian.... pongo changuitos para que me guste jajaja
♡Karlyn P♡
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing

4.5 stars. Oh, I loved this one! Courtney Milan is a hit/miss author for me, but I will always keep reading her books so I don't miss out on gems like this one.

The Heiress Effect had two of the most enjoyable characters; both are legitimately born, but sired from fathers other than the ones who claimed them. They each have their own struggle with how they want the world to see them, and their inner conflicts and expectations of others proved to be most entertaining.

Jane's character is a wealth
Grecia Robles
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 STARS

Este libro tiene de romántico lo que yo tengo de sexy, o sea NADA pero como que ya lo veía venir ya que el libro anterior tampoco hubo mucho romance pero si un poco más que en éste, aunque este me gustó más.
El punto central de la historia radica en temas políticos y socieconómicos, donde la gente exige un trato equitativo entre los nobles y la gente común, se me hizo interesante que llegué a un punto en que ya no ansiaba ver a Jane y Oliver juntos.

El personaje de Jane es la voz cantant
Lisa
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Miss Jane Fairfield has four hundred eighty days until her sister reaches her majority and she can free her from her guardian. However, during those days she must find a way to ward off any suitors after her one hundred thousand pound dowry because if she marries before her sister is old enough, her sister could be lost forever. Her solution is simple, be dreadful at all times. Dress flamboyantly. Say the wrong things to important people and make them uncomfortable so they stay away yet do not c ...more
Olga
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La verdad es que me ha encantado este libro... las fuertes convinciones de Jane que la hacen tan especial, sus esfuerzos por proteger a su hermana ( otra de armas tomar) y el conflicto interno de Oliver entre su pasado y su futuro... Me ha gustado tambien que no es la tipica historia de amor ya que hay un descanso entre ellos. Os la recomiendo!!!!
RIF
Jul 17, 2013 rated it liked it
As usual Milan's characters are unique, feel more real than 90% of those in other romances and her plot/pacing are more effective at telling an interesting story about interesting people than most. Despite the pros, for Milan, who's usually so adept at building chemistry, I wasn't feeling much here. The side stories sometimes took a front seat and later seemed to just sort of iron out as a matter of course. The sister's story could have been its own novella, I got the feeling it called to the au ...more
Ginger
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
All the books in this series have been great! I loved both characters, Oliver & Jane. They had the qualities that the other needed.

Excellent addition to the series!
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
Another winner in my romance reading project! (4.5 stars) This is definitely the best historical romance I've read: it felt really like the time period (1860s) was integral to the story. Voting reform for working class men, tiny details about social interactions, scientific/medical advancements, attitudes to illnesses and disability, and lives of immigrants of colour in Britain. I really liked the complex believable characters. Nice blend of romantic and funny! I'll be checking out the others in ...more
Mimi Smith
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 stars

“You want someone exactly like me, but completely opposite.” How appropriate. How utterly appropriate. This wasn’t the way he was supposed to fall in love. He was supposed to meet someone, to discover that her wants and wishes coincided with his, that their dreams overlapped. He didn’t want to meet a woman, to discover that the breath he drew seemed to come from her lungs, and then to realize that they couldn’t both breathe at the same time."

And that explains the dilemma our characters fa
Sam (AMNReader)
I wasn't in love with this book. No really, it was just a good way to pass the time. I wasn't in love with it; the characters were just passing amusement.

In their first meeting, with the impossible Jane, both Oliver and Jane are playing a game. It's not a particularly fun game for anyone involved, but they each have their mission and meaning. And Oliver has...empathy. EMPATHY. And that lead to understanding and friendship. And people not being alone. And...love.

I said the The Duchess War was
Unapologetic Roma...: Milan, Courtney // The Heiress Effect 17 68 Mar 15, 2018 10:27PM
2015 Reading Chal...: The Heiress Effect by Courtney Milan 1 19 Jan 07, 2015 01:36PM
  • A Woman Entangled (Blackshear Family, #3)
  • The Luckiest Lady in London
  • Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
  • A Lily Among Thorns
  • Fool Me Twice (Rules for the Reckless, #2)
  • Last Night's Scandal (Carsington Brothers #5)
  • Love and Other Scandals (Scandalous, #1)
  • Sweet Madness (Veiled Seduction, #3)
  • Let It Be Me (The Blue Raven, #5)
  • Beautiful Bad Man (Sutton Family, #1)
  • One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
  • Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)
Courtney Milan’s books have received starred reviews in Publishers Weekly and Booklist. She is a New York Times and a USA Today Bestseller and a RITA® winner.

Courtney lives in the Rocky Mountains with her husband, an exceptionally perfect dog, and an attack cat.

Before she started writing historical romance, Courtney got a graduate degree in theoretical physical chemistry from UC Berkeley. After th
More about Courtney Milan

Brothers Sinister (4 books)
  • The Duchess War (Brothers Sinister, #1)
  • The Countess Conspiracy (Brothers Sinister, #3)
  • The Suffragette Scandal (Brothers Sinister, #4)
“I worry about you,” he finally said to Free. “I’m afraid that you’re going to break your heart, going up against the world.”

“No.” The wind caught her hair and sent it swirling behind her. “I’m going to break the world.”
20 likes
“Why did you do it? Give up everything to raise another man's son?'

His father did look up at that. 'I didn't raise another man's son,' he said sharply. 'I raised my own.”
17 likes