Start by marking “Laiden's Daughter (Clan MacDougall, #1)” as Want to Read:
Laiden's Daughter (Clan MacDougall, #1)

Read Excerpt

Laiden's Daughter

(Clan MacDougall #1)

Betrayed by lies before her birth, Aishlinn believes kind and honorable men do not exist. Raised in near seclusion by a cruel stepfather, she is traded to work at Castle Firth in Penrith England for the price of two sheep. When the despised Earl of Penrith attacks her late one night and attempts to rape her, Aishlinn stabs him in self-defense and flees England for the safe ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 240 pages
Published February 12th 2012 by Suzan Tisdale (first published December 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Laiden's Daughter, please sign up.
Debby I would not consider this "clean". The details are strong in my opinion.

Samantha
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aishlin has spent her entire life being abused by her step-father and brothers. After escaping from being raped by an English lord, she runs into the Highlands and is rescued by a warrior, Duncan. As she slowly begins to heal and fall in love, the identity of her long-lost father is revealed and a shocking secret comes forth.

This book was very well written (with only one historical howler) and was pretty clean; the sex scene is 3/4s of the way through the book and is on the wedding night. Not to
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I just finished Laiden's Daughter last night, and I can't stop thinking about the characters today.

I have a special place in my heart for the Scottish Highlands, so when I saw that this book featured fierce Highland warrior Duncan and his clan I knew I had to read it.

Aishlinn suffers endless tortures before being taken in by the MacDougall clan. She has been beaten to near death when they find her, and her spirit is near broken. Through time and love, she is able to regain a strength she didn't
Jewel
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book has everything a Highlander book needs, all the elements were there, but that wasn't good enough, the book I think was lacking where the writing is concerned.

I think it was Aishlinn's character that is the reason I didn't enjoy the book much, it was very inconsistent, one part she is this shy and clueless orphan, and the next she is fighting a battle and killing men!

The writing was immature I think, which can be remedied in future book. I was not really impressed with this one, but it
Atunah
First half was pretty good, if you can handle the damsel in distress.

I think it fell apart at the end when this very small tiny woman that had no backbone at all in the beginning, suddenly turned into Xena warrior princess without any training swinging a sword. Way to silly.

Lots of promise though as I did like the way the Hero and the other characters were written. But the inconsistencies with the heroine took this down a notch.

All in all pretty average and I was a bit surprised at the high ave
Celestine
I pretty much agreed with the other three-star reviews of this book, right down the line, for the same reasons.

Interesting story, characters.
Lagged a bit at times.
Heroine needed to get a sense of humor.
Her personality flipped on a dime (mouse to ninja).
Save me from the sacrifice of stupid women.

However, I enjoyed this book enough that I will pick up the next in the series at some point. It was foreshadowed some in this book, and could be interesting.
~Volha~
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first time reading Suzan Tisdale's work, and I enjoyed her writing style. It was easy to read and follow the story. The characters both main and secondary were likable, the plot was intriguing. It had dual POV, had plenty humor and was not overly long to become tedious.

I liked Aishlinn for the most part. She lived through abuse and that kind of conditioning by her stepfather that made her believe anything he told her and be grateful for it. But she escaped into Highlands badly hurt a
Emery Lee
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-challenge
This was a gripping and emotionally charged story from the first page. The developing romance was engaging and tender. It was sweet torture how the author kept the hero and heroine apart but the anticipation made it all the more satisfying and passionate when they finally came together.
Highly recommended to lovers of Scottish Historical/ Highlander romances.

Regan Walker
May 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Entertaining 14th Century Highlander Romance

This was the author’s first novel (and is book 1 in the Clan MacDougall series).

It begins in 1329 in Northern England (prologue) as 5-year-old Aishlinn’s mother Laiden is buried. Then fifteen years later, in 1344, Aishlinn escapes a beating and near rape by an earl to run to Scotland where, she is told by a kind castle guard, she will find “her people.” She knew the man who raised her was not her real father, and that her brothers sold her into servant
Lauren
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I believe I have a soft spot for highlander men. However Suzan Tisdale's, Duncan was definitely no Diana Gabaldon's, Jamie. I enjoyed reading this book, and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys the Scotland setting as I do.

I thought this author had a lot of promise as I felt the writing was good but seemed a bit amateurish. I had a lot of issues with one of the main characters, Aishlinn, which is essentially why I rate this one only 3 stars. Aishlinn's character was so inconsistent! At the b
Vicki
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful Scottish Romance! I was hooked from the first page! I adored Aishlinn's strength, will and determination. She is a wonderful main character who fights for what she loves, holds dear and believes in! I admired her sheer will, motivation and ability to eventually see past lies told to her!
Suzan painted a wonderful picture in my mind about the group of Scottish men that we are introduced to early on and how Aishlinn felt about them!
The story made me laugh, want to cry at times and
Anne
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mature readers
From the first page, I was drawn into this book. When Ashlynn is almost raped by an English nobleman, she flees to Scotland to find her mother's relatives. Exhausted and lost, she is rescued by a band of scottish warriors led by the brave warrior Duncan. He brings her to his home where she is taken care of by their family and finds herself romantically involved with duncan. But there is more, and when she had to dave them in order to go back after the murder of the englishman, the tale takes a s ...more
Candace
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I truly loved this book, I loved the story line and the characters. With all the paranormal romances that are out there it's refreshing to have a real scottish romance full of adventure, humor and lets not forget the highland love..This book made me laugh and cry. I highly recommend Laiden's Daughter and Suzan Tisdale has created a wonderful series full of passion.. 10 stars for sure!
Victoria Vane
Highly recommended to lovers of Scottish Historical/ Highlander romances.

Lover of Romance
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance

Laiden's Daughter is the first book in the Clan MacDougall series by Suzan Tisdale. I have really been looking forward to picking up these books, since we see the main characters in other books so I was really looking forward to reading Duncan and Aishlinn'sstory.  This was a super fun story to read and boy I had so many barrels of laughs with this one because Aishlinn doesn't just win Duncan's heart but the hearts of his people very quickl
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
READER BEWARE EXTREME PHYSICAL ABUSE TO THE HERIONE AISHLINN!!! This story starts out with extreme physical abuse to the Heroine Aishlinn. The beating and punching is so descriptive it made me SICK!! I could not read pass page 20 of this story. Rape or attempted rape does not make a romance story!!

I read HR for the romantic nostalgia of the historical era. Not to be horrified because of the abuse inflected on the Aishlinn the heroine of the story.

Megan
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I have the romance package with audible so I am trying out all kinds of new authors. And some times the books are good and sometimes they aren't. I have been listening to a bunch a bad ones this week. This one wasn't terrible.. Aishlinn just wasn't the best heroine. She has a shit life. No joke it was terrible.. But she was just so meek and she cried soooooo much. I don't want to listen to a book about a crying girl. She did get better towards the end.
Bree Wolf
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What I admired most was the heroine's strength in the face of all the tragedies she suffered. She never gave up hope...and was rewarded for her perseverance. A truly touching story!
Eileen Dandashi
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our heroine learns a verra’ valuable lesson. For some family no matter how good you are it isn’t good enough. Don’t measure your self-worth by these people.

Whenever a story thrusts the reader into action and panic, it sets the stage for more of the same to come. Immediately, the devil is before you and the heroine must be saved!

As Ms. Tisdale does in her tales, she gives us a devil of a man to hate, this one very nearly took Ashlinn’s life along with her innocence. Finding strength where she kne
Daisy Sloan
I LOVE Highlander stories. They are so romantic. Big brutish men, who go off to battle for honor and clan but are all gooey and mushy on the inside, how can you not love them? Laiden’s Daughter definitely delivers on that front!

Suzan Tisdale weaves a story that will pull at your heartstrings one minute and having you smirking the next. Aishlinn is a wounded young woman who flees for her life as horrible, evil men search for her. Along the way she finds honorable Highlander men who teach her abou
Tal
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.
I liked it!

I was looking for something that resembles Ellen O'Connell style and Goodreads suggested Tisdale, so I gave it a go. I was surprisingly pleased with this one (although it does not resembles O'Connell at all).

Unlike some of the romances I read, the characters here actually acts rationally! Surprising right?

description

There is nothing surprising about the story and that is the only reason that it didn't get more stars, I felt like some of the scenes are taken directly from Julie Garwood.
Nicole Laverdure
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading LAIDEN’S DAUGHTER and I found it an amazing Scottish romance filled with high emotions! This is the first book that I read written by Suzan Tisdale. I just love to discover a “new-to-me” author and her books and I am quite sure that I will read her next book Findley’s Lass. I saw this book on a blog, read it and I was not disappointed. It’s a great romance very well written by this author. Her Scottish story made me cry and laugh. I loved the chemistry between her two mai ...more
Krystal Shannan
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Suzan Tizdale's characters practically leap off the page and drag you away to her world of 14th century Scotland where hunky highland men wait to sweep you off your feet!

I instantly fell in love with Duncan and his mischievous personality. Ashlinn was inspiring and I rooted for her through the whole book. It was non-stop action (just the way I like it) and if something wasn't happening to poor Ashlinn, she was creating problems without realizing it!

The scenery and history was seamlessly woven
Angela
Mar 22, 2012 rated it liked it
3/2012: I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but I can't give it a better rating, because I've read many others of the same kind that were much better, in writing, plot & characters. There were also a ton of editing errors, but that doesn't really bother me. I found this to be 'light' reading, a little amateurish, but somehow that didn't detract from my enjoyment. Some parts were a little racy for me - I usually prefer to keep those parts a bit more vague, but a good love story anyway.

Update: I r
Julie
May 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I loved the first half of the book and the premise, but as the heroine healed, she seemed more immature and her actions at the end were hard to swallow. There were a lot of editing errors as well, simple typos like lightening for lightning, breath for breathe, etc. But I did like the writer's style and would try another one of her books. She writes heroes really well!
Hailee (haibooklovers)
Easy read. I liked the main characters, though Aislinn's innocence and naïveté did get a tic old.

I laughed out loud a couple of times, which is always appreciated.
Samantha
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved

I love love this book it was very hard to push down truth when it ended it was sad caus Ethernet book was so good
KP
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the best highlander books I ever had the pleasure of reading. Wow!
Jenna
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it

got this free online which is usually a sign that the book isn’t that great or very old.

It opens w/Aishlinn being abused the Earl at the castle she lives in. I was a bit put off by this b/c I thought it might be too dark for a romance.
But it wasn’t. And surprisingly I ended up enjoying it.

I liked the Aishlinn character. She was charming as well as the usual Scots warriors who become her allies.

the negatives: the cover is ugly.
it lags in the middle.

But I will read the other books in thi
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 18, 2015 08:11AM
Romantic Historic...: Guess What I Got!!! 1 24 Jun 22, 2012 02:47PM

• Daring the Highlander (The Legacy of MacLeod, #2)
  • The Kindling Heart (Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance #1)
  • Highland Solution (Duncurra, #1)
  • The Highlander's Conquest (Stolen Bride, #2)
  • King of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #3)
  • Unwanted (The MacLauchlans, #3)
  • Highland Captive (Sisters by Choice, #1)
  • Highland Seer (Highland Talents, #2)
  • Bound to a Warrior (The Warrior King, #1)
  • Highland Dragon
  • Highland Legacy (The Fraser Brothers Trilogy #1)
  • Plead Forgiveness (Loyalty, #1)
  • Mist Warrior   (Legacy of the Mist Clans #1)
  • The Warrior (The Return of the Highlanders, #3)
  • Highland Rake (The Highlanders, #3)
  • Beneath A Highland Moon (The Highland Moon #1)
USA Today Bestselling Author, storyteller and cheeky wench, SUZAN TISDALE lives in the Midwest with her verra handsome carpenter husband. All but one of her children have left the nest. Her pets consist of dust bunnies and a dozen poodle-sized, backyard-dwelling groundhogs – all of which run as free and unrestrained as the voices in her head. And she doesn’t own a single pair of yoga pants, much t ...more

Clan MacDougall (4 books)
  • Findley's Lass (Clan MacDougall, #2)
  • Wee William's Woman (Clan MacDougall, #3)
  • McKenna's Honor (Clan MacDougall, #4)
“Ask yerself this: do ye want to be right, and take a grand risk at losin’ him forever because ye be just as stubborn as he is? Or do ye swallow a wee bit of pride and keep him, and get to love him for the rest of yer days?” 1 likes
“She supposed for a moment that men were God’s attempt at humor.” 0 likes