Start by marking “Laiden's Daughter (Clan MacDougall, #1)” as Want to Read:
Laiden's Daughter (Clan MacDougall, #1)

Read Excerpt

Laiden's Daughter (Clan MacDougall #1)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  3,003 Ratings  ·  258 Reviews
Betrayed by lies before her birth, Aishlinn believes kind and honorable men do not exist. Raised in near seclusion by a cruel stepfather, she is traded to work at Castle Firth in Penrith England for the price of two sheep. When the despised Earl of Penrith attacks her late one night and attempts to rape her, Aishlinn stabs him in self-defense and flees England for the safe ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 240 pages
Published February 12th 2012 by Suzan Tisdale (first published December 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Laiden's Daughter, please sign up.

Debby I would not consider this "clean". The details are strong in my opinion.

Samantha
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aishlin has spent her entire life being abused by her step-father and brothers. After escaping from being raped by an English lord, she runs into the Highlands and is rescued by a warrior, Duncan. As she slowly begins to heal and fall in love, the identity of her long-lost father is revealed and a shocking secret comes forth.

This book was very well written (with only one historical howler) and was pretty clean; the sex scene is 3/4s of the way through the book and is on the wedding night. Not to
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I just finished Laiden's Daughter last night, and I can't stop thinking about the characters today.

I have a special place in my heart for the Scottish Highlands, so when I saw that this book featured fierce Highland warrior Duncan and his clan I knew I had to read it.

Aishlinn suffers endless tortures before being taken in by the MacDougall clan. She has been beaten to near death when they find her, and her spirit is near broken. Through time and love, she is able to regain a strength she didn't
Jewel
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book has everything a Highlander book needs, all the elements were there, but that wasn't good enough, the book I think was lacking where the writing is concerned.

I think it was Aishlinn's character that is the reason I didn't enjoy the book much, it was very inconsistent, one part she is this shy and clueless orphan, and the next she is fighting a battle and killing men!

The writing was immature I think, which can be remedied in future book. I was not really impressed with this one, but it
Atunah
First half was pretty good, if you can handle the damsel in distress.

I think it fell apart at the end when this very small tiny woman that had no backbone at all in the beginning, suddenly turned into Xena warrior princess without any training swinging a sword. Way to silly.

Lots of promise though as I did like the way the Hero and the other characters were written. But the inconsistencies with the heroine took this down a notch.

All in all pretty average and I was a bit surprised at the high ave
Celestine
I pretty much agreed with the other three-star reviews of this book, right down the line, for the same reasons.

Interesting story, characters.
Lagged a bit at times.
Heroine needed to get a sense of humor.
Her personality flipped on a dime (mouse to ninja).
Save me from the sacrifice of stupid women.

However, I enjoyed this book enough that I will pick up the next in the series at some point. It was foreshadowed some in this book, and could be interesting.
Emery Lee
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-challenge
This was a gripping and emotionally charged story from the first page. The developing romance was engaging and tender. It was sweet torture how the author kept the hero and heroine apart but the anticipation made it all the more satisfying and passionate when they finally came together.
Highly recommended to lovers of Scottish Historical/ Highlander romances.

Regan Walker
May 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Entertaining 14th Century Highlander Romance

This was the author’s first novel (and is book 1 in the Clan MacDougall series).

It begins in 1329 in Northern England (prologue) as 5-year-old Aishlinn’s mother Laiden is buried. Then fifteen years later, in 1344, Aishlinn escapes a beating and near rape by an earl to run to Scotland where, she is told by a kind castle guard, she will find “her people.” She knew the man who raised her was not her real father, and that her brothers sold her into servant
Lauren
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I believe I have a soft spot for highlander men. However Suzan Tisdale's, Duncan was definitely no Diana Gabaldon's, Jamie. I enjoyed reading this book, and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys the Scotland setting as I do.

I thought this author had a lot of promise as I felt the writing was good but seemed a bit amateurish. I had a lot of issues with one of the main characters, Aishlinn, which is essentially why I rate this one only 3 stars. Aishlinn's character was so inconsistent! At the b
Vicki Lake
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful Scottish Romance! I was hooked from the first page! I adored Aishlinn's strength, will and determination. She is a wonderful main character who fights for what she loves, holds dear and believes in! I admired her sheer will, motivation and ability to eventually see past lies told to her!
Suzan painted a wonderful picture in my mind about the group of Scottish men that we are introduced to early on and how Aishlinn felt about them!
The story made me laugh, want to cry at times and
Anne
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mature readers
From the first page, I was drawn into this book. When Ashlynn is almost raped by an English nobleman, she flees to Scotland to find her mother's relatives. Exhausted and lost, she is rescued by a band of scottish warriors led by the brave warrior Duncan. He brings her to his home where she is taken care of by their family and finds herself romantically involved with duncan. But there is more, and when she had to dave them in order to go back after the murder of the englishman, the tale takes a s ...more
Victoria Vane
Highly recommended to lovers of Scottish Historical/ Highlander romances.

Candace
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I truly loved this book, I loved the story line and the characters. With all the paranormal romances that are out there it's refreshing to have a real scottish romance full of adventure, humor and lets not forget the highland love..This book made me laugh and cry. I highly recommend Laiden's Daughter and Suzan Tisdale has created a wonderful series full of passion.. 10 stars for sure!
Eileen Dandashi
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our heroine learns a verra’ valuable lesson. For some family no matter how good you are it isn’t good enough. Don’t measure your self-worth by these people.

Whenever a story thrusts the reader into action and panic, it sets the stage for more of the same to come. Immediately, the devil is before you and the heroine must be saved!

As Ms. Tisdale does in her tales, she gives us a devil of a man to hate, this one very nearly took Ashlinn’s life along with her innocence. Finding strength where she kne
Lee Anne - OMG! It's TOOOOO Cold!
I LOVE Highlander stories. They are so romantic. Big brutish men, who go off to battle for honor and clan but are all gooey and mushy on the inside, how can you not love them? Laiden’s Daughter definitely delivers on that front!

Suzan Tisdale weaves a story that will pull at your heartstrings one minute and having you smirking the next. Aishlinn is a wounded young woman who flees for her life as horrible, evil men search for her. Along the way she finds honorable Highlander men who teach her abou
Tal
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.
I liked it!

I was looking for something that resembles Ellen O'Connell style and Goodreads suggested Tisdale, so I gave it a go. I was surprisingly pleased with this one (although it does not resembles O'Connell at all).

Unlike some of the romances I read, the characters here actually acts rationally! Surprising right?

description

There is nothing surprising about the story and that is the only reason that it didn't get more stars, I felt like some of the scenes are taken directly from Julie Garwood.
Nicole Laverdure
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading LAIDEN’S DAUGHTER and I found it an amazing Scottish romance filled with high emotions! This is the first book that I read written by Suzan Tisdale. I just love to discover a “new-to-me” author and her books and I am quite sure that I will read her next book Findley’s Lass. I saw this book on a blog, read it and I was not disappointed. It’s a great romance very well written by this author. Her Scottish story made me cry and laugh. I loved the chemistry between her two mai ...more
Krystal Shannan
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Suzan Tizdale's characters practically leap off the page and drag you away to her world of 14th century Scotland where hunky highland men wait to sweep you off your feet!

I instantly fell in love with Duncan and his mischievous personality. Ashlinn was inspiring and I rooted for her through the whole book. It was non-stop action (just the way I like it) and if something wasn't happening to poor Ashlinn, she was creating problems without realizing it!

The scenery and history was seamlessly woven
Angela
Mar 22, 2012 rated it liked it
3/2012: I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but I can't give it a better rating, because I've read many others of the same kind that were much better, in writing, plot & characters. There were also a ton of editing errors, but that doesn't really bother me. I found this to be 'light' reading, a little amateurish, but somehow that didn't detract from my enjoyment. Some parts were a little racy for me - I usually prefer to keep those parts a bit more vague, but a good love story anyway.

Update: I r
Julie
May 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I loved the first half of the book and the premise, but as the heroine healed, she seemed more immature and her actions at the end were hard to swallow. There were a lot of editing errors as well, simple typos like lightening for lightning, breath for breathe, etc. But I did like the writer's style and would try another one of her books. She writes heroes really well!
Samantha
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved

I love love this book it was very hard to push down truth when it ended it was sad caus Ethernet book was so good
Hailee (haibooklovers)
Easy read. I liked the main characters, though Aislinn's innocence and naïveté did get a tic old.

I laughed out loud a couple of times, which is always appreciated.
KP
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the best highlander books I ever had the pleasure of reading. Wow!
Margo
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good highland story. Laiden's life has been nothing but hardship since her mother died when she was five. Now, beaten almost to death she takes a chance to escape to - she doesn't no what. Luckily the fates intervene and she connects with a man (Duncan) and his clan who give her the life and love she has always wanted. But an old enemy forces her to choose between her own life and protecting those she loves.
Elizabeth VanDyke
Good read

I really liked this story as it acquainted me with some of my family who came from the Highlands. I am looking forward to the others in the series.
Connie Huddleston
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I rarely just sit and read but this book captured my attention, and I finished it in 2 days! The main character is so different from those that usually appear in "romance" novels. I'll look for more from this author.
Angela Covarrubias
Laiden's Daughter, is the 1st book in the Clan MacDougall Series, but it is the third book I have read by Suzan Tisdale, and I enjoyed it immensely! I wished I had discovered Suzan's books years ago. For a first book, by an author, this one had everything that I love in a Scottish Historical Romance. It has romance (of course), a little mystery, humor, action and of course handsome, strong Scotsmen!

The heroine, Aishlinn doesn't trust men, and believes all of them have an agenda of their own. She
Marilyn Rondeau
Her mother was betrayed before Aishlinn’s birth and after her mother died - Aishlinn never had another moment of any type of caring or love, only abuse and cruelty from the men she’d encountered, especially her father and step-brothers who eventually sold her to cruel English master. Once she was old enough she was summoned to the masters room with the cruel intent of rape and molestation. Fighting off his advances, Aishlinn ended up stabbing the master and began a terrifying flight from the cas ...more
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 18, 2015 08:11AM
Romantic Historic...: Guess What I Got!!! 1 23 Jun 22, 2012 02:47PM
  • Daring the Highlander (The Legacy of MacLeod, #2)
  • The Bedeviled Heart (Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance #2)
  • Highland Solution (Duncurra, #1)
  • The Highlander's Conquest (Stolen Bride, #2)
  • King of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #3)
  • Highland Captive (Sisters by Choice, #1)
  • Highland Rake (The Highlanders, #3)
  • Highlander Unchained (Highlander Trilogy #1)
  • To Wed a Highlander (The McTiernays, #2)
  • Plead Forgiveness (Loyalty, #1)
  • Highland Healer (Highland Talents, #1)
  • Warrior's Lady (Stones of Destiny, #3)
  • Highland Dragon
  • The Highlander's Prize (The Sutherlands, #1)
  • Beneath A Highland Moon (The Highland Moon #1)
  • Highland Legacy (The Fraser Brothers Trilogy #1)
  • Temptation in a Kilt (Bad Boys of the Highlands, #1)
  • A Question of Love (Questions for a Highlander, #1)
USA Today Bestselling Author, storyteller and cheeky wench, SUZAN TISDALE lives in the Midwest with her verra handsome carpenter husband. All but one of her children have left the nest. Her pets consist of dust bunnies and a dozen poodle-sized, backyard-dwelling groundhogs – all of which run as free and unrestrained as the voices in her head. And she doesn’t own a single pair of yoga pants, much t ...more
More about Suzan Tisdale...

Clan MacDougall (4 books)
  • Findley's Lass (Clan MacDougall, #2)
  • Wee William's Woman (Clan MacDougall, #3)
  • McKenna's Honor (Clan MacDougall, #4)
“Ask yerself this: do ye want to be right, and take a grand risk at losin’ him forever because ye be just as stubborn as he is? Or do ye swallow a wee bit of pride and keep him, and get to love him for the rest of yer days?” 1 likes
“She supposed for a moment that men were God’s attempt at humor.” 0 likes