Start by marking “Women & Children First” as Want to Read:
Women & Children First

Women & Children First

She was the most magnificent ship ever built, yet on the eve of 14th April the Titanic sank in the North Atlantic, leaving the lucky ones floating in wooden rowing boats, and the rest struggling for their lives in the icy water.

The sinking of the Titanic not only steals lives but blows apart the futures of those who survive: Reg, a handsome young steward who works in the f
Published March 29th 2012 by harpercollins (first published March 1st 2012)

Start your review of Women & Children First
Teresa
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It begins on the Titanic and then follows some of the survivors who arrived in New York.
The part written on the Titanic was great reading. The lead up and the sinking itself were done extremely well. It dipped slightly after this and the main character we're following, Reg, has so much happen to him, at times it stretched incredulity a bit. Annie, another character we continue on with had a bit of a boring story I thought. There was quite a bit of repetition in it.
However,
Nikki Bywater
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Women & Children First is a touching tale, about what it must have been like to survive the sinking of the Titanic.

Reg Parton is a good looking young steward, who works in the first class dining room. Reg dreams of one day running his own small restaurant.

Lady Juliette Mason-Parker is an English lady who is pregnant and unmarried. She is travelling to conceal her pregnancy in fear of been ostracised from society.

Annie McGeown is a mother of four, travelling with her children to join her husband
Ellie
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I really enjoyed this book; not only because I have a large interest in the Titanic but because it was so beautifully written with a good level of character development, I found myself caring for the characters and becoming anxious about their fates, but this is all down to how lovely the writing was.

The story follows the lives of four characters aboard the Titanic and how their lives are affected after this. I can understand that some people would be put off by the idea of constant switches be
Maggie Bermann
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
strangely i enjoyed this book..yes we all know what happens in the end, but this book took the story further by asking what happened next.. though story purely fictional and soem bits were raised eyebrows at.. it was quite a good wee read!
Graceann
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thought there couldn't be a new angle on the Titanic story, but I was mistaken. Here, Gill Paul takes a select group of characters and explores how they deal with surviving the disaster. It makes for much more interesting reading than I initially thought it would. How do you live with the memories of struggling for your life and watching others die?

This is largely an ensemble piece, but there is one character who gets more ink than the others, Reg. I think that this is appropriate given that
Alison
I officially have a new favourite author (to add to the ever growing list). When I picked this book up in a book sale, I never thought I would have enjoyed it so much and in fact, I do not think I would have purchased it, if it was not related to Titanic. I do not know what it was which made me hesitant but you should not judge a book by its author or cover as this pleasantly surprised me.

I have always been fascinated with the story of the Titanic and really enjoyed the description of the ship.
Erin
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book makes you think. To be lucky enough to survive a tragedy such as the sinking of the titanic, yet having to live on with guilt and remorse. Sometimes you can't escape what life has in store for you.
Karen
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. As always Gill Paul wrote a page turner.
Jennifer N
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This one was hard to put down. Part 1 takes place on the Titanic and we get different perspectives. Reg is a first class steward, Annie is an Irish mother who is taking her children to meet her husband and Juliette is a young, pregnant first class woman trying to find a husband quickly. Part 2 is what happens after the sinking (spoiler alert - all 3 survive). It was really interesting and I liked all of the main characters and was rooting for them.
Emily
Dec 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
This had so much promise. Titanic has been done a million times. The idea that this might explore the lives of the passengers after the disaster was really exciting to me. Sadly, not one of the characters were interesting, well-developed, realistic, or even likable.
Steph LaPlante
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Rate 6.5/10
I was very interested in reading this book because like most people, I've always had a fascination with the Titanic. I've read a few novels about the Titanic but none that followed the lives of people after the sinking. I've always wondered how did life go on for people afterwards, how can life go on after going through such a dramatic ordeal? It was neat to see an authors idea of how that could've played out, by writing the lives of 4 survivors.
It was a good fast read and I did enj
Saturday's Child
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This one I noticed on some Goodreads lists and wanted to read it as it has the Titanic in the plot. I have read the authors non-fiction book so I was looking forward to reading this one. At first I wondered if it could hold my interest in part two, the lives of people after the sinking but it certainly did.
Tracey
Soo
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book. I kept imagining the movie version of Titanic as I read it. Great job giving a historical account of the sinking and bringing in personal life stories to hook the reader.
Dana
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The setting for Women and Children First was the doomed maiden voyage of the Titanic. Through the lives of three people aboard the ship, the author examined how survivors managed in the aftermath of the tragedy. Reg, a first class steward, Annie, a steerage passenger, and Juliette a first class lady, each had unique stories and secrets that were depicted so well in this historical fiction novel.

Everything, both good and bad, about the ill fated ship was brought to life so well here. The author c
Kathie
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This historical fiction brought me back to 1912 and one of the most famous disasters at sea of what was considered the unsinkable Titanic. Paul delivers the horrific turmoil of the collision and also, the aftermath’s effects on its survivors. It’s these stories that make up the greater part of the story. With much of the narrative coming through the person of first class waiter, Reg Parton, we get a glimpse into not only the utter devastation of the sinking but also, the machinations of the trea ...more
Linda
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Read

My intention to dislike this book failed. I was hooked upon boarding the Titanic. From E deck to Aster deck, the souls aboard ship faced the same disaster. The characters were representative of all classes and occupations. The survivors were re-united, either loosely or closely, in New York City through tragedy, joys, sorrows and mysteries. Look for the character who survives the Titanic and takes the Lusitania on his return trip home to England.

Thank you, Ms. Paul, for a good read.
Vanessa ❤️
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I really love her writing and have read quite a few of her books but this one fell short for me..good but not great, although I loved her take on the Titanic events and focusing on the aftermath.
Julie Round
May 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
An interesting take on the story of the Titanic. The steward seemed rather more believable than the passenger but I liked the way it ended.
Angelique Simonsen
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good yarn to sink your teeth into. I liked Reg and the other main characters esp Mrs Grayling.
Joelle
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a great premise. I liked how the author takes plenty of time to describe the events on the Titanic through different characters' experiences before getting into the effects that night had on the rest of their lives. The loss of life was tragic, but I find the effects on the survivors equally so.
Diane Koenig
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the way the author brought the terrifying experience from several characters’ point of view. I especially liked the story of the steward and his experience before, during and after the sinking. Fast moving and engaging story.
Jo-Ann Filipowicz
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it
People process trauma in al different ways
Barb Kelownagurl
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another tale of the Titanic - this one about the lives of invented characters during and after the ship sank. I enjoyed it - an easy quick read.
Lynda Kelly
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
And this makes.......a hat-trick of 5* reads by this author !! Another superb story, though, as is her wont, her books are set around true stories which I really like a great deal-can you tell ? Of course, the title gives this one away as being set on the ill-fated Titanic, though not too much is actually on board as we follow the lives of a few of those who were lucky enough to survive. She advises us at the end that pretty much all the main characters are set around real people aboard, and esp ...more
Sunnydreamer
I’ve been morbidly fascinated by the Titanic since I was a 12 year-old and have read many books and watched many movies on the tragedy.
Naturally this fictional account appealed greatly - especially when it promised to take a different angle: what happened to the survivors afterward? How did they cope with PTSD in the aftermath?
I can’t say this book delivered for me. Though I suspect that has more to do with the range of excellent material I’ve already been exposed to.
The only part of the book
Jessica Tabraham
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I have been obsessed with Titanic and her story ever since I was 5 when I found a book about it at my school library. I would constantly look at the pictures in just sheer wonder. Reading this book definitely made me feel as if I was there while the ship was sinking. The only fault I had in the book was how many characters it followed. I really only cared about 2. The others just slowed down the reading till I got to those 2 and then it would pick up again. Overall I did enjoy the book and would ...more
Cassie
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2012, titanic
A very well researched book on a subject that I find fascinating.
Sadly I didn't feel any kind of a connection with any of the characters. So much so, that if they had all perished, I wouldn't have cared less.

How the characters coped with their lives following the disaster was very interesting. Obviously suffering from PTSD, it's sad how they were expected to just "get on" with their day to day lives as that was the done thing in those days.
Lisa Manke
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites so far this year. Unlikely, I know.

Many many titanic books to read but this one stood out in a good way. Entertaining, intriguing, good characters, well researched.

At the top of its genre, a worthy entertainment read
Eva
Oct 12, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5*

An enjoyable read but I thought The Secret Wife was much better.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Jenta i veggen ; i skjul for nazistene
  • The Ones We Leave Behind
  • The Queen's Secret: A Novel of England's World War II Queen
  • The Girl Who Came Home
  • Arvingen (Halve Kongeriket, #1)
  • Seven Days in May
  • The Lost Letter From Morocco
  • The Queen & Di: The Untold Story
  • The Palace of Lost Dreams
  • Taking a Chance on Love
  • Tangled Lives: A gripping new gangland crime novel (Risking It All Book 2)
  • Siege (Scope #1)
  • The Woman Before Wallis
  • Last Dance in Havana
Gill Paul’s historical novels have reached the top of the USA Today, Toronto Globe & Mail and kindle charts, and been translated into twenty languages. They include JACKIE AND MARIA (retitled THE SECOND MARRIAGE in the UK), two bestselling novels about the Romanovs – THE SECRET WIFE and THE LOST DAUGHTER – as well as WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST, which was shortlisted for the 2013 RNA Epic Novel of th ...more