Start by marking “Finn Finnegan (The Adventures of Finn MacCullen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Finn Finnegan (The Adventures of Finn MacCullen, #1)

Finn Finnegan

(The Adventures of Finn MacCullen #1)

Finnegan MacCullen: a thirteen-year-old apprentice with the famous Irish temperament. Gideon Lir: a legendary Celtic warrior with a bit of a temper of his own.

Secretly, these blue-collar warriors battle the hobgoblins infesting their suburban neighborhood...when they are not battling each other.

Finn (not bleedin' Finnegan) MacCullen is eager to begin his apprenticeship. He
Published March 12th 2013 by Spencer Hill Press

To ask other readers questions about Finn Finnegan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finn Finnegan

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera Cass
YA Novels of 2013
1,572 books — 11,039 voters
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareEverneath by Brodi AshtonFallen by Lauren KatePure by Jennifer L. ArmentroutAnna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
Most Alluring Covers
317 books — 229 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Finn Finnegan (The Adventures of Finn MacCullen, #1)
~Tina~
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Thirteen year old Finnegan (Finn) MacCullen is a decedent to the Tuatha De Danaan, an ancient warrior race of mythical beings from Ireland who battle their sworn enemy the Amandan, Goblin like creatures who can disguise themselves among humans. It is an old Celtic war to the death for the solid price of returning to their home land, Ireland.
Finn begins his apprenticeship with the Knight, Gideon Lir and as he trains his young student they begin to wonder why they are attracted to so many Goblin
Kate Kaynak
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is all kinds of amazing! It reminded me of a cross between Harry Potter and the Spiderwick Chronicles when we received it at Spencer Hill Press. Add this to your TBR list--you won't regret it!
Deb
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-readers
First, I cannot thank the author, Darby Karchut enough for sending me this book. I had won, through Goodreads, book II, GIDEON'S SPEAR. Due to a delay, she sent me book I, FINN FINNEGAN. this book is a MUST READ!!! I use to work in a major book store & I would tell kids to read 10 pages. If you aren't into the book by then, pick something else. This book had me by page 1. It's roots are from Irish lore. This is a plus because there aren't books involving Ireland, at least that I can think ...more
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, spencer-hill
I want to thank Spencer Hill Press for providing me a copy of this book to read and give an honest review. Receiving this book for free has in no way influenced my opinion or review.

Blurb from Goodreads:
Finn (not bleedin' Finnegan) MacCullen is eager to begin his apprenticeship. He soon discovers the ups and downs of hunting monsters in a suburban neighborhood under the demanding tutelage of the Knight, Gideon Lir. Both master and apprentice are descendents of the Tuatha De Danaan, a magical
Hazel West
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Thoughts on the Overall Book: I was a little wary starting this because I thought it was going to be pretty much like an Irish version of Ranger's Apprentice, and wouldn't be all that original. However, this book really surprised me in a good way. It was not only an original storyline (sure there are similarities between it and Ranger's Apprentice, but not so much it seemed like just a spin-off) but it also had some really awesome characters. But then, you can pretty much give me anything having ...more
Lydia
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! I can't possibly describe how giddy reading this book made me feel, but I'll still give t a try!

Finnegan - though, really, call him Finn! - MacCullen can't wait to start his apprenticeship with Knight Gideon Lir. Being a halfer - which means part mortal - has always been a burden in his life. Now he wants to prove that he's as much a Tuatha De Dannan as any other pure blooded warrior in his family. However, being an apprentice will prove harder than he thought, with his temper - a
Tom
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When Finn (don't call me Finnegan) MacCullen arrived at Knight Gideon Lir's house to begin his apprenticeship, he had no idea what he'd be in for.

The same goes for readers just starting The Adventures of Finn MacCullen series.

Book One is titled "Finn Finnegan," and it is a high-octane mix of action, teenaged angst, and giant goblinesque creatures called Amandan. It is the Amandan that have him beginning his apprenticeship with Gideon in the first place. Finn is half-human, and half-Tuatha De
Leigh Collazo
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it

More reviews at Mrs. ReaderPants.

SUMMARY: 13-year old Finnegan MacCullen works as an apprentice to Gideon Lir, a Celtic warrior who secretly battles the Amandan, goblin-like creatures living among humans in the Colorado suburbs.

ROMANTIC HEAT: Pretty chilly. There is no romance or kissing. A couple of hints at potential romances are misunderstood by the young characters and never acted upon.

REVIEW: Though I am definitely not the target audience for Finn Finnegan (alas, it has no romance), I know
Keshia Swaim
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great blend of Irish lore and modern 13 year-old boy. The characters were fun, and the plot kept me guessing, with promise of more intrigue from future books!
Gaby
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked this! Review to come.
Robert Kent
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First Paragraph: "Son of a goat!" The boy swore and jumped back. A second squirt of bird poop landed with a plop, this time on the toe of his shoe. "Oh, real funny," he said with a grimace. He glared up at the crow swinging back and forth on the power line overhead, sooty wings spread wide for balance. The bird cocked its head and stared back, its eye a red-rimmed marble.

Esteemed Reader, the only name I can think of more Irish than Darby Karchut has got to be Finn Finnegan. The cover of this
RoloPoloBookBlog
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Finn Finnegan by Darby Karchut
(Book1 of The Adventures of Finn MacCullen)
Rating: 4/5 stars
Source: Author for a fair and honest review

Someday I am going to write a totally professional, eloquently crafted, non-gushy review. Today is not that day so pull on your rain boots ‘cause I am about to gush all over the place about the beginning of a promising new series by one of my hands-down favorite authors, Darby Karchut. Let the gushing begin . . .

Finn (not bleedin Finnegan!) MacCullen is a bit
Kayleigh {K-Books}
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Finn Finnegan Review on K-Books

Wow! I really don't even know where to start with this review. This book was so awesome and I really didn't expect to like it quite as much as I did. After finding out this book was Middle Grade my instant reaction was 'Oh'. I just don't 'do' MG books but I thought I will give it a go anyway just because it is Spencer Hill Press and I just love all of their books. I was so pleasantly surprised by Finn Finnegan... it completely took my pre-conceived thoughts about
Kate
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-challenge
Beverly McClure
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fáilte. Welcome to a world of knights and magic, goblins and apprentices. A world where crows signal danger and warriors search for a lost Spear needed to save the Tuatha De Danaan (mythical Irish warriors) from the mythical Amandán creatures. Did you know all this adventure is going on in our very own world? Yes, it is. Beware of the people next door. They may not be exactly who you think they are.

In Award Winning Author Darby Karchut’s latest novel for teens, FINN FINNEGAN, thirteen-year-old
Kendra Saunders
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Where can I start with this book? Maybe I should start by saying I don't have a lot of time to read these days. Between being an author and working for a publishing company, my reading window has shrunk to embarrassing proportions. With Finn Finnegan, I picked it up with the intent of reading a chapter or so. By that evening, I'd finished the book. The characters were richly realized and fun, the humor was great, the setting was different than I'd expected (Colorado? Really? A place for magic ...more
Beverly
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
FTC Disclosure: I received an advanced reader’s copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

This is a hard review for me to write, simply because I don’t know where to begin and I really don’t want to gush, but there are so many reasons I love this book. I’ll be honest, I’m always anxious when I receive an ARC directly from the author. I pride myself on giving honest reviews, but I do know that when an author sends me a book they are sending me a part of themselves.

I had
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Putting all the right elements into a fantastic story, I really enjoyed this book.

What I really like the most are the elements of a redeeming character as well as fantasy The reader meets this you lad, who is well...different. He has been sent away for his training and his "family" are just waiting for him to fail. All his life he has been told that he will amount to nothing, but I know that this kid will prove them wrong. I like Finn determination. Though he has been treated horribly, he is
Margaret Boling
1/3/12 ** I thoroughly enjoyed this urban fantasy. Mike Mullin's blurb on the front cover says, "If Lloyd Alexander had written The Ranger's Apprentice, the result might have been something like Finn Finnegan. I agree, with the exception that neither Lloyd Alexander or John Flannagan write stories that are set in our world. Readers of Susan Cooper (Dark is Rising or Pamela Service who write of Arthurian lore in the modern world would also enjoy Finn Finnegan. Readers of Emma Bull's War for the ...more
Daniel Cohen
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing

What a great story. Books like Finn Finnegan are very much convincing me that Middle Grade is where it's at. Darby has written a fun, engaging novel that can (and will) be enjoying by the young and old alike. For younger readers, Finn Finnegan is sure to spark imaginations and provide a realistic protagonist to eagerly follow through adventures. For older folks, Finn is sure to delight with its homages and plays on Irish folklore. I really enjoyed the mythology behind the Tuatha De Dennan and
Kaci
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Darby did it again. She wrote an amazing urban fantasy with characters that are lovable, human, (well, not really, but you know what I mean) and wickedly skilled warriors. Gideon and Finn have a mutual passion for their craft as well as a love and respect for each other. I'm glad that Finn has human friends and that he can share his story with them, even if their parents aren't privy to the information. This is a perfect story and series for middle grade readers, both boys and girls. I am ...more
Michele at A Belle's Tales
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely perfect for my kiddo! Ms. Karchut kept her engaged in this exciting and completely age-appropriate story, and I loved that it filled my daughter with so many emotions -- made this mom's heart happy. You can find my daughter's full review on my blog A Belle's Tales.
Mindy/fangedmom
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The story flowed so nice and there was never a dull moment. Author Darby Karchut has an amazing knack at storytelling. I love everything Irish and this book keeps you turning the pages as fast as you can read them.

The content is YA but appeals to anyone of any age!

Highly recommend!
Kendall {Book Crazy}
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Review to come closer to the release date!
Sherry Ficklin
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
The only thing keeping this from a full five stars is just that it's MG and MG isn't my favorite genre in general. Other than that, the book was Ah-mazing. If you love MG, give it a read!
Diego Salvatore
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review to come. But I LOVE IT.
Amanda Christine Saunders
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It is very well written and a perfect urban fantasy.
Nick Garlick
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thirteen-year-old boy moves in with his guardian and begins to learn the skills needed to fight the centuries-old enemy of his (part-mortal) people. Finn has a temper, doesn’t like all the boring rules, and can’t understand why his guardian is SO strict. Which pretty much describes me at that age and explains why I could relate to this a lot more than the one time I tried one of the Twilight stories.

There’s also a nice plot turn near the end, when social services mistake bravely-earned battle
Beverly Clyde
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Finn (not Finnegan) MacCullen is a thirteen-year-old apprentice learning the ways of a magical race of Irish warriors. He is a considered a half-breed by another apprentice and this leads to trouble when Finn’s Irish temper gets the better of him. The Amandan, dangerous monsters, not only attack Finn and his mentor but also Finn’s friends from across the street. An excellent book that mixes the modern world with the ancient, risk taking with growing up, and pride with learning.
Bunny

** Originally posted on www.bunnycates.com**

My Thoughts:
This is the story of a boy who is a “halfer”, meaning he is half human and half fey/hobgoblin-warrior. He leaves his aunt and uncle’s, where he was living as an orphan, to live with his “mentor”/”master”. Yes, that part is very Harry Pottery. And all hell breaks lose as he learns to hone his craft.

Story wise: I loved the idea behind this book/series. We don’t really get much by way of goblins in this vampire and werewolf world so it was
Spencer Hill Press: Finn Finnegan by Darby Karchut 8 36 Jan 23, 2013 05:49AM
Great Middle Grad...: My book in Publishers Weekly 1 11 Sep 07, 2012 11:01AM

• The Bronze Key (Magisterium,  #3)
  • Contractor (The Contractors, #1)
  • The Copper Gauntlet (Magisterium, #2)
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium, #1)
  • A Darker Shade of Sorcery (The Realmers #1)
  • Farsighted (Farsighted, #1)
  • A Witch to Live (Damned and Cursed, #2)
  • Infinity (Chronicles of Nick, #1)
  • Demonspawn (Damned and Cursed, #1)
  • Zero Sight (Zero Sight, #1)
  • The Novice (Summoner, #1)
  • Super Powereds: Year 3 (Super Powereds, #3)
  • Knightley Academy (Knightley Academy, #1)
  • Super Powereds: Year 2 (Super Powereds, #2)
  • Super Powereds: Year 1 (Super Powereds, #1)
  • Charmed Life (Chrestomanci, #1)
  • Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, #1)
  • Split
Darby Karchut is an award-winning author, dreamer, and compulsive dawn greeter. A native of New Mexico, she now lives in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, where she runs in blizzards and bikes in lightning storms. When not dodging death by Colorado, Darby is busy wrangling words.
Her thirteenth book, DEL TORO MOON, a middle grade western/fantasy mashup (2018 Owl Hollow Press) is a 2019 Colorado

The Adventures of Finn MacCullen (4 books)
  • Gideon's Spear (The Adventures of Finn MacCullen, #2)
  • The Hound at the Gate (The Adventures of Finn MacCullen, #3)
  • Finn's Choice  (The Adventures of Finn MacCullen, #4)