Start by marking “Rat Catching: Studies in the art of rat catching” as Want to Read:
Rat Catching: Studies in the art of rat catching

Rat Catching: Studies in the art of rat catching

No Dust Jacket.
Hardcover, second
Published 2011 by Volcanic Eruptions (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Rat Catching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rat Catching

Start your review of Rat Catching: Studies in the art of rat catching
Rebecca McNutt
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is so much more than just a book, it's also an artwork. Written by Crispin Glover (you might recognize him as the actor who plays eccentric characters in films like Bartleby, Twister and Willard), its many ink drawings are done with a lot of detail and the entire book is vintage in both illustrations and text.
Winter Branch
Jun 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ????????????????????
Shelves: fiction
It is books like this that make me happy that I'm going back over my book collection to review them for this site.

I received Crispin Hellion Glover's (yes, its the same guy you know and love from the movies) book Rat Catching as a gift two Christmases ago. To be honest, this really isn't a novel, but a work of art. Glover has contorted and manipulated a book about rats into something twisted and strange. He adds drawings and images of things like plague victims and rabbits and lambs (even a
Sonky
Aug 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bought the book at the Tower Theater in Salt Lake City when Crispin appeared there to perform the book on stage using a slide show and holding a long wooden pointer.

We also watched Rueben and Ed.

When I met him on that occasion, Mr Glover came across to me as a warm, considerate, and intelligent person--very unlike any of his stage personae--but then, who can tell when an accomplished actor is in character?

Unfortunately, I lost the book years ago along with many other prized possessions. Thank
Teree
Dec 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love Crispin Glover
Shelves: favourites
I purchased autographed copies of his books when I was a teenager. They are worth owning for the imagery, prose and exquisite binding, but mostly because Crispin Glover is a genius. We saw him last year at the Castro Theater and met him afterward. We had a nice thorough conversation with him which was guided mostly by HIM asking US questions. Love him.
Curtis Glenn Heath
I believe this is actually another book about rodent extermination that Crispin simply edited with white-out, rewriting some of the sentences and turning it into a psuedo-narrative. I don't know how to describe it... some might say "genius." I'm still on the fence... but it IS very enjoyable!
Patrick Healy
Jul 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and disturbing. I like his performance of segments of the book on The Problem Does Not Equal the Solution, the Solution Equals Let It Be. The Clean poem is excellent.
Virginia
Nov 01, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
creation by removal. this is the double negative of books.
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
review of
Crispin Hellion Glover's Rat Catching
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - February 15, 2012

Warning to the reader of this review: all 3 of my reviews of Glover's bks begin w/ the same contextualization. Otherwise, they aren't the same review.

I'm not very familiar w/ Crispin Hellion Glover's work. I've heard that he has a bit of a 'cult' following, I've heard that he was in some, by my standards, big budget films as an actor. I've seen a few of them: Back to the Future, River's Edge, The
Shawn Birss
I found this book this week in a used bookstore, noticing it first for the cover, picking it up for the author.

I've found Crispin Glover to be absolutely fascinating for a few years now. I've watched almost anything I can find with him in it, and have studied some of his more outrageous public appearances many times over. I find him to be the very most interesting of any celebrity artist alive today.

This was actually the second book I noticed at the bookstore, I confess. The first was WHAT IT
Kate
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gisselle
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing.
Tom Schulte
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surrealism! What is Surrealism? In my opinion, it is above all a reawakening of the poetic idea in art, the reintroduction of the subject but in a very particular sense, that of the strange and illogical. (Paul Delvaux)

this is a surrealist reassembly of the 1896 memoir/guide book/paean to rat-catching Studies in the art of rat-catching of Henry C. Barkley.

“As beautiful as the chance encounter of a sewing machine and an umbrella on an operating table.”
―Comte de Lautréamont

it recalls to me the
Mariel
Mar 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crispin glover fans
Recommended to Mariel by: my brother
All Crispin Glover fans should have this.

My other oldest goodreads review! I'm pretty sure I was quoting what my brother said when gifting me this book. I wasn't that big of a Crispin Glover fan back then. I became one after reading this bizarre book. It's not hard to imagine Glover bending over the pages, furiously scribbling doodles of rats and muttering to himself. That's kinda endearing to me. People who would smile over something like that would like this, I think. And my brother. I like
Die Booth
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't so much a book as a piece of art. There's no linear 'story' to it, other than what you interpret for yourself. Clever, original, funny, creepy and fascinating - nothing has inspired me more than this in a long time. I won't say how it was made or what it looks like, just - read it. To over-analyse I think would spoil it. It's just a desirable, beautiful little book... ALMOST.
Fishface
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, discordian
Delicious little book! It reads like a fragmentary manuscript pulled out of an old trunk, with some key pages missing. Wanders all around and through the subject of rat-catching, with fabulous illustrations likely to give nightmares to small children.
Marcc
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspired me to become president.
Max
Feb 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super freaky book.
Ben
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At turns funny, oblique, or flat-out disturbing. A quick "read," and above all, interesting. If Glover hasn't brought his live show and movie tour through your town, this is the next best thing.
Emily Niles
Mar 08, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-read-now
Been wanting this book forevah!!! It was out of print at one time.... I'll have to search again.
He is so damn eccentric indeed
Stephanie

• Extinction Journals
  • Vurt (Vurt, #1)
  • The Room
  • Black Hole
Crispin Hellion Glover is primarily known as a film actor, but is also a painter, filmmaker, author, musician, and collector and archivist of esoterica. Glover is known for portraying eccentric people on screen, such as George McFly in Back to the Future, Layne in River's Edge, the "Creepy Thin Man" in the big screen adaptation of Charlie's Angels and Willard Stiles in Willard. In the early 2000s, ...more