Start by marking “Madeline: A Novel of Love, Buddhism, and Hoboken” as Want to Read:
Madeline: A Novel of Love, Buddhism, and Hoboken

Madeline: A Novel of Love, Buddhism, and Hoboken

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  5 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
Inspired by Jane Austen's Emma, Buddhism, and the unique charm of Hoboken, NJ, Madeline explores spiritual and material aspirations, and ultimately finds harmony between the two.

It's Hoboken, New Jersey, 1987. The Bongos are breaking up, the Maxwell House factory fills the air with the scent of coffee, and favorite son Frank Sinatra still eats calamari at Leo's Grandevous.
Paperback, Second edition (revised), 488 pages
Published January 20th 2012 by iUniverse (first published January 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Madeline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Madeline

Ann
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another great book from Florence Wetzel. She creates characters so well. Funny and moving.
Kasey Jueds
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism, fiction
One of those books I'd actually like to live inside, rather than just read. I wanted Madeline, the heroine, to be my friend. She's so incredibly likeable: smart, thoughtful, endearing, brave, true. And one of the best things, to me, about her story, is that it is not just a love story or the story of a spiritual search, it is both. It's the only novel I can think of that treats both of these subjects with such depth and sensitivity. Florence Wetzel writes about spirituality in a way that's groun ...more
Laurel Kallenbach
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Madeline" is a wonderful romance about an ebullient and sometimes naively misguided heroine. I really enjoyed it and especially loved the Bella-Robert-Madeline family trio, with neighbor Michael as part of it. The characters all felt real to me and are carefully written. The character of Alison was really great too; I will never forget that used-teabag bit (you have to read about it to believe it!). This one small action illustrates much about Alison and her life.

And I loved the whole 1980s fla
Laurie
rated it did not like it
May 26, 2017
Camilla Guimaraes
Kylie
Michael
Mar 16, 2012
Florence Wetzel is the author of Madeline: A Novel of Love, Buddhism, and Hoboken, as well as Mrs. Papadakis and Aspasia, two novels about expatriates living in Crete. In addition, she wrote the jazz mystery Dashiki, an adult whodunit in the spirit of Nancy Drew.

She also cowrote Perry Robinson: The Traveler, the autobiography of the legendary jazz clarinetist, and a book of poems and memoir tales
More about Florence Wetzel